Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2017, 17:35   #26686
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
I would highly suggest looking at the first gen Pixel XL, other than the 821 processor, I would suggest that over the OnePlus and their shady practices that have come to light in the recent past.

You can get the XL 128gb model for around 40K at paytm, amazon etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.bhardwaj View Post
I am not defaming one plus but let me tell you my experience. I am sure that the 5T is a great phone for the price. I was a user of the OP2. After spending a hefty 25k on a flagship, I expect that the company should be providing updates for at least the next 3 years. ....
Thanks for the inputs guys, but I went ahead and got the 5T. Initial impressions are very good and the screen is a beauty. I tend to keep my phones for atleast 2 years, so wanted a 2017 phone and with all the bezel-less phones launching the Pixel 1 XL wasn't really exciting enough. The only phone I thought about was the Nokia 8, but the 5T was too tempting at the price point. Let's see how my 1+ experience goes.
Old 23rd November 2017, 21:44   #26687
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder View Post
Just out of curiosity, why do you even want micro-USB on your phone?
I know you didn't ask me, but... for starters, how about the ubiquity of micro-USB? How about being able to charge your phone in almost any home, office, or even... car. Here, I can offer you FastCharge 2.0 in my car. Yes, of course it charges other phones too. Oh wait, you've got USB-C. Oh sorry!

Micro USB was a standard that was adopted by the phone makers. Granted, it was probably down to to them that it became the dominant small USB connector out of the micro, mini, midi, maxi, etc etc etc available at the time, but it was already established, USB-C? Unless you have some very new laptops, I'd guess... not so much.

The move to USB micro came as a blessing. Remember: not so long ago, even Nokia had multiple and incompatible connectors for charging. When standardising on USB was suggested, I never believed it would actually happen. It did. Wow! It came with little else but convenience. We all had a USB-C cable or six already.

After some time, this conversation will be forgotten, and we will have spent more money on new cables and other bits and pieces. We will be celebrating the higher data rates (or the few of us that use the cable for data will) and higher voltages. That will happen, even to stick-in-muds like me. Until then, USB-C is the last thing I'd want in a phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Type C supports audio as well so manufacturers like HTC, Google are removing the 3.5mm port cause you can use the Type C port for audio as well.
Really? I can plug my headphones into it? I don't think that is one of the advantages of USB-C. Will every company supply an adapter?

By the way, what kind of audio? USB-micro "supports audio" too... all you need is an OTG adapter and a DAC/AMP dongle thing. Some audiophiles wouldn't listen any other way. Yep... larger amounts of electricity to power those things, will be a C advantage.

Hmmm... volts or amps? Not sure. But more "angry pixies" anyway.
Old 23rd November 2017, 22:15   #26688
BANNED

This micro USB vs type C debate as of this day, is a personal opinion IMO. There is no advantage to anybody using the port just for 2.0 speed transfers and charging. Every single accessory I have is a micro USB one, everything from a power bank to a smart watch to a headphone that costs 30k. None of those, will i replace to get to usb type c.

I was happy to find the Galaxy S7 at a good price with basically the same specs as the S8 but with micro USB, its probably the last flagship with it. And I'm thankful for that.

I would like to move to type C when all USB is type C, not even the type A.
Old 23rd November 2017, 23:14   #26689
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

Really? I can plug my headphones into it? I don't think that is one of the advantages of USB-C. Will every company supply an adapter?

By the way, what kind of audio? USB-micro "supports audio" too... all you need is an OTG adapter and a DAC/AMP dongle thing. Some audiophiles wouldn't listen any other way. Yep... larger amounts of electricity to power those things, will be a C advantage.
With USB type C the audio DAC is not on the phone but on the headphone or the adapter that comes with it.

You get dedicated USB-C headphones or you need to use the supplied adapter to 3.5mm. The 3.5mm adapter has a DAC.

The other advantage is you don't need noise cancelling headphones as the phones DSP does that like this: https://www.gearbest.com/earbud-head...pp_636900.html

HTC even bundles USB C headphones with their flasghip phone with noise cancelling:

https://www.businessinsider.in/HTC-d...w/61474371.cms
Old 24th November 2017, 04:37   #26690
BHPian

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Hello guys, the itch to change my phone has started again and I am planning to switch from my iPhone 7 to an android device. Thinking between the pixel 2 XL, OP 5T and BB Keyone. Really inclined towards the Keyone but I hope it is not the kind of phone that I will enjoy using for 1 or 2 months and regret later. The only problem I have with the pixel is the screen that has been plagued with issues since day one. 5T is a contender only because of its performance and sheer VFM. Super confused and any inputs would be much appreciated...

Last edited by Suraj25 : 24th November 2017 at 04:39.
Old 24th November 2017, 07:28   #26691
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suraj25 View Post
Hello guys, the itch to change my phone has started again and I am planning to switch from my iPhone 7 to an android device. Thinking between the pixel 2 XL, OP 5T and BB Keyone. Really inclined towards the Keyone but I hope it is not the kind of phone that I will enjoy using for 1 or 2 months and regret later. The only problem I have with the pixel is the screen that has been plagued with issues since day one. 5T is a contender only because of its performance and sheer VFM. Super confused and any inputs would be much appreciated...
If you are moving from iPhone 7 to Android I would suggest going with the latest Korean flagships – the Samsung Galaxy Note 8 or the LG V30. The latter must be pretty similar to the Pixel 2 XL (without the screen issues). As a user of both iPhone 7 and LG V20 I can vouch that the LG UI is pretty user-friendly for an iOS user.

I checked out the Note 8 and its looks to be a great device (except for that weird placement of finger-sensor) . We are looking to replace my wife’s iPhone 7+ and the Note 8 probably will be the one, as the iPhone X doesn’t seem that attractive for its price.
Old 24th November 2017, 21:33   #26692
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
With USB type C the audio DAC is not on the phone but on the headphone or the adapter that comes with it.

You get dedicated USB-C headphones or you need to use the supplied adapter to 3.5mm. The 3.5mm adapter has a DAC.

The other advantage is you don't need noise cancelling headphones as the phones DSP does that like this: https://www.gearbest.com/earbud-head...pp_636900.html

HTC even bundles USB C headphones with their flasghip phone with noise cancelling:

https://www.businessinsider.in/HTC-d...w/61474371.cms
Fine and dandy for those who want to use the supplied earphones. Otherwise, no advantage here to anyone. Not exactly manic audiophile stuff, but I paid around 8k for the headphones that I use with my phone, around 2 years ago. I would not use it for anything else but travel. I have regularly plugged much more expensive headphones into my phone. Yes, I've used digital out to an external DAC/AMP too, and, no doubt, I could hunt out the cable/adapter, or there is/will-be the USB-C equivalent OTG cable.

But mostly, although I've experimented, for fun, with powered hubs and external DAC/AMPS mostly, I just want to plug the thing in. Things. Any of the headphones I happen to have around the house.

(did some of that experimenting today, listening to my phone on a pair of HD800s... just for fun, and just because I found a USB-A-to-mini to connect OTG to the powered hub to power the dac/amp. Just to see if the cable worked. 1-lakh headphones* on the phone. Lol, as the youngsters would say )

This would not be a discussion at all if the industry simply replaced micro with C. Yes, that is going to be a bit of a nuisance, but that is one thing, and it will just cost a few cables, maybe a charger or two. The loss of the headphone jack is a different issue. USB-C is not an alternative.

(I have an investment in Quickcharge too: two multi-point chargers in the house, and one in the car. And an investment in USB cables that I know will carry the current. Hey, maybe it was nice when none of those things mattered, but, whichever standards we subscribe to, invest in, it is an investment)

*Not mine. Sadly.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 24th November 2017 at 21:35.
Old 24th November 2017, 23:19   #26693
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
If you are moving from iPhone 7 to Android I would suggest going with the latest Korean flagships – the Samsung Galaxy Note 8 or the LG V30.
LG V30 is not available in India right?

Quote:
Hello guys, the itch to change my phone has started again and I am planning to switch from my iPhone 7 to an android device. Thinking between the pixel 2 XL, OP 5T and BB Keyone.
Except for the Pixel 2 XL, the rest of the bunch would seem like a downgrade.

Quote:
We are looking to replace my wife’s iPhone 7+ and the Note 8 probably will be the one, as the iPhone X doesn’t seem that attractive for its price.
I think the best upgrade from iPhone 7/7+ would be iPhone 8 Plus. I spent an hour fiddling around with my BIL's iphone 8 plus and was floored by the camera's capabilities.
Old 25th November 2017, 09:48   #26694
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
If you are moving from iPhone 7 to Android I would suggest going with the latest Korean flagships – the Samsung Galaxy Note 8 or the LG V30. The latter must be pretty similar to the Pixel 2 XL (without the screen issues). As a user of both iPhone 7 and LG V20 I can vouch that the LG UI is pretty user-friendly for an iOS user.
Thanks for your inputs vb-san!

I used the galaxy s7 edge for a few months before switching to the iPhone 7 so I think the Samsungs will not keep me entertained for too long. The V30 seems to be a nice option.

Was just surfing YouTube and found that google has released a software update for the pixel that improves the saturation of the screen, so that is kind of tempting now.
Last option would be to keep the iPhone and get either the Keyone or 5T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Except for the Pixel 2 XL, the rest of the bunch would seem like a downgrade.
Agreed.. that is why I am planning to keep the iPhone as backup if I go with one of the other two :P

Last edited by GTO : 26th November 2017 at 15:22. Reason: Removing double post
Old 25th November 2017, 12:22   #26695
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Agreed.. that is why I am planning to keep the iPhone as backup if I go with one of the other two :P
I'm currently suffering after doing this

I sold my 5s thinking I'll buy the 8 plus, but decided to get the X since a friend is going to the US soon and its significantly cheaper there, so currently stuck with a android OP5. Its fantastic with dual sim, customizations etc but just not as good or polished.

This is just my experience, yours may vary.
Old 25th November 2017, 21:01   #26696
Team-BHP Support

Nokia 8 Vs iPhone 8 Plus at Orion Mall, Bangalore

For some reason, images in iPhone 8 plus appear brighter than what the actual scene is. Any idea why? Anyway, look at the clarity of text in 'Sensational' board in iPhone 8 Plus.

Nokia 8 :

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_20171125_182624.jpg

iPhone 8 Plus :

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_0533.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
Picked up a Nokia 8 a couple of days ago and I am enjoying it for now.
Android Oreo update is out but you need to manually download it. Go to Settings -> About Phone -> System Update and check for updates. It is a 1.5 Gigs download.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20171125233538.png

Last edited by Aditya : 26th November 2017 at 09:08. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Old 26th November 2017, 14:31   #26697
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Android Oreo update is out but you need to manually download it. Go to Settings -> About Phone -> System Update and check for updates. It is a 1.5 Gigs download.
Thanks! Any bugs in the Oreo update. Any specific improvement on the camera app after the update? Can't rave enough on how well the current version of the OS is working for me. Not sure if I want to fix something that isn't broken.

Btw, ordered the same cover as the leather one you have for 179 on eBay last evening. Will update you on the same shortly if you intend to a few more.
Old 26th November 2017, 14:39   #26698
Senior - BHPian

Guys, My Asus Zenphone Max recently developed an annoying issue, screen seems to freeze or completely not work at all once I switched to manual screen brightness, instead of auto, screen works perfectly. BUT now screen flicks all the time and is taking a toll on my eyes.

Is there any way to solve this? there is no new software update available.
Old 26th November 2017, 15:14   #26699
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
Thanks! Any bugs in the Oreo update. Any specific improvement on the camera app after the update?
Camera app has not been changed.

Quote:
Can't rave enough on how well the current version of the OS is working for me. Not sure if I want to fix something that isn't broken.
Ugh. I shouldn't have updated the OS. Now the app icon of whatsapp, facebook and gmail no longer informs me about fresh activity (that is, the number of unread messages/ email or activity).

I think the above is supposed to be replaced by "Notification Dots".
http://www.techadvisor.co.uk/how-to/...-oreo-3663147/

These Notification Dots are working for certain apps like SMS, Google Photos, Google Play though. But not whatsapp, facebook and gmail. When I have some free time, I will tinker around with the settings and do some Google research.

On the plus side -

1) The battery remaining percentage display was tiny before. Now it is of normal size
2) The wallpaper changes everyday!
3) Noticeable improvement in battery life.
4) Super quick bootup (not very useful, but still..)

Quote:
Btw, ordered the same cover as the leather one you have for 179 on eBay last evening. Will update you on the same shortly if you intend to a few more.
I paid Rs. 400 I think, don't remember.
Old 26th November 2017, 16:38   #26700
Team-BHP Support

The Nokia 8 is indeed a class act. It's like the Nexus replacement of 2017-2018 since the Pixel has moved up to a diff bracket.

I'm surprised to see it get Oreo so quickly. This means that they pretty much had nothing to tinker in stock Android.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks