Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2019, 14:29   #28606
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
Why do none of you speak about the blackberry.

I am using the key1 and it is just perfect. The android experience is good too.

What impresses is the build quality for me. I have dropped it in the water tank, and put it under a light bulb for a day, and it works fine.

Sad that no one is buying these days.
Because it is overpriced for what it offers. The display and the cameras are below par. Also, it has a poor software update record. At the same price, you can get the OnePlus range or Nokia phones , which offer fast and smooth performance with great cameras and displays.

Regarding the water proofing, most flagships are now water resistant including the OnePlus 6T, just that they did not bother to get an official rating because it will involve costs.
Old 16th April 2019, 10:53   #28607
Senior - BHPian

Folks,

My FIL's plans to change his phone and is on the lookout for a budget smartphone. His usage is typically phones, messages, whatsapp and camera. Budget is < 10000. Looking at M10 as it has all the necessary features, is under 10k plus the Samsung brand. How is the Samsung M series? Is anyone using it?
Old 16th April 2019, 12:29   #28608
Senior - BHPian

Guys, i have a LG v40 and i get this error message at the secure startup screen just before entering my PIN.

"com.android.phone has stopped working"

what could be the issue? loath to do a factory reset :(
Old 16th April 2019, 15:13   #28609
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
Folks,

My FIL's plans to change his phone and is on the lookout for a budget smartphone. His usage is typically phones, messages, whatsapp and camera. Budget is < 10000. Looking at M10 as it has all the necessary features, is under 10k plus the Samsung brand. How is the Samsung M series? Is anyone using it?
I would suggest the Samsung A20 instead. Super Amoled screen, better cameras, better battery, USB Type C with fast charging support and a better processor. Comes with Android Pie out of the box (M10 has Oreo). Has fingerprint unlock feature (missing in M10). Also comes with the One UI (used in their flagships) instead of the Experience UI which the M series have. Worth the extra money.

Last edited by Oxy : 16th April 2019 at 15:26.
Old 16th April 2019, 18:42   #28610
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
I dropped my 9i and broke the screen too. Moved to the 8x.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I must say, I really like the looks of the new A50 from Samsung, you may have a look.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
I am using the A50 64gb/6gb since last 3 weeks and so.
Thanks for all your reverts.

I went ahead and bought myself a A50, my first phone in the >20k pricing. Checked out at Poorvika and felt nice to hold it on hand, just same dimension as my 9i.

Below is the comparison of A50 with 9i after a week of usage -

+ Overall A50 is an upgrade over 9i
+ New Samsung UI is simple and nice to use, unlike the earlier Samsung UI
+ Screen is definitely one of the positives of Samsung amoled
+ Camera is quite better on the A50, I like the wide angle option. I really have not taken much pics, so will further update on camera quality.
+ Face recognition seems faster than 9i

- Fingerprint scanner on the 9i (on the rear) was faster than the under the screen scanner on the A50. One, its slightly difficult to use thumb for unlock in that angle. Second, it take at least 5 seconds to recognize, than probably 1 second of 9i.
- Message App was very good in 9i with segregated personal messages and that of adverts, bank messages etc.
- Sometimes, I find myself touching an option more than once for it to function, like, when I open WhatsApp or when I end a call, few times I have had to touch more than once. Not sure if this is a generic issue or specific with my phone.

Overall, I am quite happy with the buy and its indeed a nice phone for the price.

KK

Last edited by KK_HakunaMatata : 16th April 2019 at 18:43.
Old 16th April 2019, 18:51   #28611
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
- Message App was very good in 9i with segregated personal messages and that of adverts, bank messages etc.
There's a similar app from Microsoft performing the duties you stated. Has segregation, OTP identification, Event reminders (like Movies and Flights) cloud backup and storage.

SMS Organizer - Play Store
Old 16th April 2019, 22:39   #28612
BHPian

Re: Voice Recording on Android Pie!

My 'Zenfone Max Pro M1' got updated to Android Pie. The downside is that ACR app does NOT record voice from the other party.

Now, Is there any work around to get the voice calls recorded from both ends, as before? Please do suggest!

Old 19th April 2019, 16:52   #28613
Senior - BHPian

Google Pixel 3 user asks for refund, gets 10 phones instead

Quote:
Google sent a customer 10 Pixel handsets worth over $9,000 after he requested a refund for a defective Pixel 3 smartphone.

“Every large company has its fair share of customer service issues, but Google seems to always find the most perplexing ways to screw up. Case in point, one Reddit user has posted a story in hopes of getting Google’s attention.

“After returning a defective Pixel 3, Google didn’t issue a refund. Instead, it sent 10 Pixels when the user bought a replacement,” the Android Police reported late on Thursday.

The tech giant can’t force this user to return those Pixel devices, but the user is reportedly trying to get them returned.

According to the user, Google only refunded $80 for tax on the original faulty device.
Source: https://www.hindustantimes.com/tech/...QdpTZ7leO.html
Old 22nd April 2019, 10:18   #28614
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
My 'Zenfone Max Pro M1' got updated to Android Pie. The downside is that ACR app does NOT record voice from the other party.

Now, Is there any work around to get the voice calls recorded from both ends, as before? Please do suggest!

Unfortunately no way around it if your stock phone app doesn't support call recording. Only way to use third party recording apps is by rooting your phone
Old 22nd April 2019, 11:50   #28615
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSnow View Post
Unfortunately no way around it if your stock phone app doesn't support call recording. Only way to use third party recording apps is by rooting your phone
Could you please help me with any simple rooting guide for 'Max Pro'?

Alternately, are there any rooting services in B'lore?

Please suggest!
Old 22nd April 2019, 12:36   #28616
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Could you please help me with any simple rooting guide for 'Max Pro'?

Alternately, are there any rooting services in B'lore?

Please suggest!
Haven't checked any guides specific to this phone. You can follow the first 2 sections on this lineageos wiki .
Once you are done with "Unlocking the bootloader" and "Installing a custom recovery", you can download magisk and flash it from the recovery.
Old 22nd April 2019, 13:46   #28617
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Guys, i have a LG v40 and i get this error message at the secure startup screen just before entering my PIN.

"com.android.phone has stopped working"

what could be the issue? loath to do a factory reset :(
some suggestions from google

Clear Cache and Data of the Phone App

Under the CACHE section, tap the CLEAR CACHE button to clear the cache. 8. Reboot your phone for the changes to take effect. ... Finally, reboot Android smartphone and then check whether the Unfortunately, the process com.android.phone has stopped error has been resolved.
Old 22nd April 2019, 14:23   #28618
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
I would suggest the Samsung A20 instead. Super Amoled screen, better cameras, better battery, USB Type C with fast charging support and a better processor. Comes with Android Pie out of the box (M10 has Oreo). Has fingerprint unlock feature (missing in M10). Also comes with the One UI (used in their flagships) instead of the Experience UI which the M series have. Worth the extra money.
Thank Oxy for the reply. I agree on the advantages of A20 but considering his usage I was thinking that M10 would suffice. He is primarily into calls and watsapp. Not much into taking photos. The only thing he may miss out on is on UI. Will have him take a look at both and let him decide.
Old 24th April 2019, 08:46   #28619
BHPian

Note 9 Users- hows your battery holding up? I am getting a 4 hours SOT only in mobile data usage. I think with the March update, the battery backup has been degraded a bit.
Old 24th April 2019, 13:28   #28620
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Note 9 Users- hows your battery holding up? I am getting a 4 hours SOT only in mobile data usage. I think with the March update, the battery backup has been degraded a bit.
No issues with my wife's Note 9; stays on through the day.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks