Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2021, 12:36   #30271
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
One day soon, we'll be able to watch as well!
Well, there's already an app for that! One can have access to the mic and cameras from the client's mobile to capture both audio and video. Sounds creepy and is creepy indeed, a couple of years ago read this article in newspapers that one creepy guy installed this app on unsuspecting women's mobile phones to capture videos and pictures of the poor women and harassed them for sexual favors.
tchsvy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2021, 13:04   #30272
Senior - BHPian

Thinking of changing my almost 2 year old Samsung A50.

Looking for something under 30k. Would have gone higher but there are more expenses soon including a Ps5 purchase.

Some things I need-

1. Amoled screen as after using one it's hard to go back to a LCD one.
2. Minimum 90 Hz rate.
3. Minimum 8Gb ram and 128 GB storage.
4. Good OS. Currently using One UI 2.5 On A50 and it's a breeze to use.
5. 6.4 inch or higher screen.

So, what are my options?
Can wait a month or 2 if there are some good new launches coming.
Old 4th February 2021, 15:54   #30273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post

Looking for something under 30k. Would have gone higher but there are more expenses soon including a Ps5 purchase.

Some things I need-

2. Minimum 90 Hz rate.

So, what are my options?
utterly useless post for you and severely OT: I dont think we will get the PS5 anytime soon, unless you have pre-ordered, so put in a chunk of that money as well :-)

Maybe a OnePlus Nord?
Old 4th February 2021, 20:39   #30274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
utterly useless post for you and severely OT: I dont think we will get the PS5 anytime soon, unless you have pre-ordered, so put in a chunk of that money as well :-)

Maybe a OnePlus Nord?
OT again-
Don't want the Ps5 for couple of months otherwise I was getting the pre order. Too busy right now. Haven't even switched on my PS4 for more than 3 weeks now.

Was thinking about Nord but reviews state Camera is quite weak.
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2021, 21:46   #30275
BHPian

Quote:

Some things I need-

2. Minimum 90 Hz rate.

So, what are my options?

Check out the newly launched Realme X7 Pro. It has a 120Hz AMOLED Screen. 8GB RAM, 128 GB Storage, pretty decent Realme UI, upper midrange Dimensity 1000 5G chipset and a solid camera system. All this for 30k.
rahulcmoulee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2021, 17:50   #30276
Senior - BHPian

Got One UI 3 update in my Note 10 lite. The UI look and feel has improved. Other than that I felt like a downgrade. Most of Samsung's proprietary multitasking features ( Good lock features) have stopped working. This happened during one UI 2 update too and Samsung fixed Goodlock later. So till the time, Good lock features come back, one UI 3 is just like every other android phone out there.
Old 10th February 2021, 09:09   #30277
Distinguished - BHPian

Folks,
Need some advice/feedback - I'm in a very weird/funny/? situation

I have a Samsung Galaxy S8, bought it when it was launched in Q1 2017. It's been running absolutely fine with some heavy duty usage, till last year when I started having display issues. I assumed it was due to water damage (inspite of IP67) as the first few times the display would go blank generally after water impact (e.g. running in the rains).

The issue used to get resolved in a few hours or a day on its own so never got around to debugging it further. Last month, one of the buttons came off, and that is when I decided to get a new phone.

My eye was already on the Pixel 4A for quite a while so went ahead and bought it. In parallel got the button replaced from the service center for the S8.

Now I'm in a situation where both phones are working fine - and I'm more used to the S8 OS and add-on features (e.g. navigation plays) than the Pixel 4A. Plus the battery life of the 4 year S8 seems to last more than the Pixel 4A (observed it for ~2 weeks now). Camera is obviously great on the Pixel, but the S8 was no laggard (except for the night mode feature).

Am I reading this wrong? Wondering if it'd be a stupid decision if I go back to S8 while ignoring the possibility of the display issue coming back. And a very stupid decision if I look back at the Pixel purchase
Old 11th February 2021, 20:06   #30278
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Hey guys, whenever I connect my phone to a new car's HU via Android Auto, the voice typing on my phone stops working. Any solutions? Voice typing is very important to me as I make TD observations while driving.

The minute I exit Android Auto, my Android's voice typing works fine. I've actually gone back to Bluetooth connections with cars because of this.

Thanks in advance!
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th February 2021, 20:24   #30279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Hey guys, whenever I connect my phone to a new car's HU via Android Auto, the voice typing on my phone stops working. Any solutions? Voice typing is very important to me as I make TD observations while driving.

The minute I exit Android Auto, my Android's voice typing works fine. I've actually gone back to Bluetooth connections with cars because of this.

Thanks in advance!
You'll have to stop the car to type on your phone. Guess you will have to pull the hand brake too. Then on the HU screen you can select an option which goes something like " type on phone" (I don't recollect the exact verbatim). It's a safety feature of Android Auto to deter people from using/typing phone while on the move.

Try voice memo(in your phone) or in the car to record your notes. Seltos for example has a voice memo option in the ICE unit.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 11th February 2021 at 20:43.
Bibendum90949 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 03:57   #30280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
That is by design. While using Android Auto, your phone functions & apps are limited to reduce distracted driving. "Note-taking" is certainly considered distracting - there is no solution to this.

Here are some threads discussing the same:
https://support.google.com/androidau...12222417?hl=en
https://www.reddit.com/r/AndroidAuto..._android_auto/

Honestly, I think your solution works best.

Another inelegant solution I can think of is messaging your secondary number on WhatsApp. When you're done with the review, you can export the WA chat as a TXT file and email it to yourself. Only issue is that there will be a lot of timestamps for every message which you can probably remove by using Find & Replace on any word processor.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 12th February 2021 at 04:00.
landcruiser123 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 16:02   #30281
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
Maybe a OnePlus Nord?
Quote:
Was thinking about Nord but reviews state Camera is quite weak.
Please validate on the 5G Capability of the One Plus Nord. Here is what I heard on the another Team-BHP Post: Link

Quote:
OnePlus Nord (Indian Variant) only supports N78 Band, which is based on 3500 MHz. 5G in Nord will NOT work in India. Indian Defense, ISRO communications and Indian-NAVIC (GPS) rely on 3500 MHz. Govt. of India will never allow auction and deployment of 5G services in this band.

I'm surprised that even OnePlus 8T, 8 and 8 pro(the flagships of 2020) even only support ONE 5G band. (n78). OnePlus is playing a mass scam with us. All OnePlus 2020 phones are sold as 5G ready, but we'll never be able to enjoy 5G in them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulcmoulee View Post
Check out the newly launched Realme X7 Pro. It has a 120Hz AMOLED Screen. 8GB RAM, 128 GB Storage, pretty decent Realme UI, upper midrange Dimensity 1000 5G chipset and a solid camera system. All this for 30k.
I second this recommendation - its a Dual 5G Phone and supports multiple 5G Bands and hence the best bet for a 5G ready phone. That apart the camera is a premium one as well
And they have a "Smart Upgrade Plan" which means you need to pay only 70% now and can pay the remaining 30% a year later or upgrade to another phone from Realme: Link

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 12th February 2021 at 16:06.
vsrivatsa is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2021, 10:59   #30282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
And they have a "Smart Upgrade Plan" which means you need to pay only 70% now and can pay the remaining 30% a year later or upgrade to another phone from Realme: Link
I would be wary of this. Many forum members have already shared poor experience with Flipkart while exchanging old products and ended up paying entire amount for the product.
Even under the Smart Upgrade Plan, Flipkart will decide the window of utilizing your old phone for exchange and will also control what phone you will be purchasing and at what price they choose to retail it to you.
Further, Flipkart will install a locking software on the device (In case you fail to pay up at the end of the period or fail to buy a new device), which means living with a back door on your device of which you can never be sure that it will not be misused.
In theory, best case scenario I can make out of this is that I can utilize the 30% amount for 12 months and pay the same at the end of the period. How will Flipkart remove their back door even after 100% payment is up in the air. At least I could not locate the same in their T&C and FAQ page or maybe i missed it.
roamer012 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th February 2021, 15:20   #30283
BHPian

Any info on the 5G bands that the S21 series support in India is highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 15th February 2021, 11:50   #30284
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
Any info on the 5G bands that the S21 series support in India is highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
You can get the answer to that on this youtube link - time stamp where this is talked about is 1:57

Last edited by praveen789 : 15th February 2021 at 11:51.
praveen789 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 21:14   #30285
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamer012 View Post
How will Flipkart remove their back door even after 100% payment is up in the air.
Was not aware of this backdoor concept - interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen789 View Post
You can get the answer to that on this Youtube link - time stamp where this is talked about is 1:57
Name:  GR.png
Views: 631
Size:  153.2 KB

The Galaxy S21 Ultra does support many 5G Bands. This should be the benchmark to compare with when we hear other brands claim to support 5G!
vsrivatsa is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks