Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2021, 12:43   #30496
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay6988 View Post
Hello guys, my sister needs a tablet to attend her school lectures. Budget is around 13-15 k ₹. Not looking any fancy features or such, decent battery backup, sim card support and acceptable screen resolution is good enough. Please let me know your recommendations.
You can check Lenovo M10. It falls in your budget.
girishv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2021, 14:04   #30497
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishv View Post
You can check Lenovo M10. It falls in your budget.
Thank you. I got the same Lenovo M10 for her. It arrived two days back. I was wondering how it would performe with 2 GB of RAM, but it is working well enough for her. It is a good vfm tablet
Akshay6988 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2021, 15:33   #30498
Senior - BHPian

I've got a Moto X4 which has problems charging. And the camera glass is cracked. It's 3 years old and probably time to get a new phone.
I'm looking at budget under 20000. Requirements are
1. Decent camera (not brilliant)
2. Stock android of possible
3. I'm not a gamer or heavy app user, but do like a phone that has decent performance with no lag.
4. Dual SIM plus expandable memory.
5. Screen size around 6 inch. Dont like 6.5 inch

Any personal recommendations. Don't mind a 2020 release phone as it may be cheaper to get. Not really crazy about a just-released phone model.

Last edited by BenjiRoss : 26th May 2021 at 15:37.
Old 26th May 2021, 16:45   #30499
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
I've got a Moto X4 which has problems charging. And the camera glass is cracked. It's 3 years old and probably time to get a new phone.
3. I'm not a gamer or heavy app user, but do like a phone that has decent performance with no lag.

Any personal recommendations. Don't mind a 2020 release phone as it may be cheaper to get. Not really crazy about a just-released phone model.
I too own a Moto X4 (Jan'18) and love it's near stock interface and no faced issues so far. I was looking for a mobile for wife and found Moto One Fusion Plus and Moto G60 which suits your requirement too.
My requirements are similar to yours and on online reviews (Geekyranjit) found them satisfactory. The only missing bit is compass sensor but it does not affect Gmaps.
rajivr1612 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2021, 21:04   #30500
BHPian

Quote:

Hello Benji,
If you are willing to extend budget a little, try Asus Zenfone 6. Its phone from 2019. I have it. Except for two minor grouse - about camera coming from home position & Non availability of cases, find the phone to be amazing.
Solid build, stock Android (My phone came with Android 9, updated to 10 in Nov 2019, updated to 11 in Dec 2020), solid battery life, very decent audio quality, pretty good camera with amazing panorama & selfies, fast finger print sensor, dual sim + micro SD card, SD845 etc
You can try Zenfone 7 as well.
Barath
barathvajan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2021, 06:58   #30501
Senior - BHPian

Continuing my query, is it worthwhile getting a phone that is 5G enabled? I usually use my phone's for 3 years at least.
Old 27th May 2021, 07:29   #30502
BHPian

Quote:
I'm looking at budget under 20000.
In the same boat: any reviews for Samsung M51? Appears to be great package on paper. Have heard great reviews for its younger sibling, M31s.
Old 27th May 2021, 07:31   #30503
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Continuing my query, is it worthwhile getting a phone that is 5G enabled? I usually use my phone's for 3 years at least.
In case you go ahead with 5G phones, please ensure it supports quite a few bands of 5G.

For 3+ years, I would suggest to get the 5G one.
Old 27th May 2021, 18:36   #30504
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
In case you go ahead with 5G phones, please ensure it supports quite a few bands of 5G.

For 3+ years, I would suggest to get the 5G one.
I am in the same dilemma.

Manufacturers seem to be churning out 5G ready phones one after the other when there is no clarity on which bands will be supported when the technology arrives here.

In such a case, does it not make better sense to buy a 4G phone as a stopgap alternative now, use it for a couple of years and then upgrade to a 5G model? Or should one invest in a 5G ready phone straightaway for long term usage?
Old 27th May 2021, 20:43   #30505
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
In such a case, does it not make better sense to buy a 4G phone as a stopgap alternative now, use it for a couple of years and then upgrade to a 5G model? Or should one invest in a 5G ready phone straightaway for long term usage?
Indeed. I recently bought a 4G capable Samsung A52 and I don't see 5G becoming ubiquitous within 3 years. In this pandemic lots of things have taken backseat. And also, 4G is capable for most use cases and I wouldn't miss much NOT being on 5G bandwagon.

Last edited by JMaruru : 27th May 2021 at 21:01.
JMaruru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2021, 09:21   #30506
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Indeed. I recently bought a 4G capable Samsung A52 and I don't see 5G becoming ubiquitous within 3 years. In this pandemic lots of things have taken backseat. And also, 4G is capable for most use cases and I wouldn't miss much NOT being on 5G bandwagon.
Agreed. Am thinking of getting either the A52 or the Pixel 4a myself, as 5G is not making sense at this point.
Old 28th May 2021, 18:09   #30507
BHPian

If we buy a 4G only phone today wouldn't it become obsolete in one or two years?
Old 28th May 2021, 18:43   #30508
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
If we buy a 4G only phone today wouldn't it become obsolete in one or two years?
I wouldn't think so. Both will co-exist for quite a few years until next generation happens. For most of the current use cases 4G is more than sufficient.
JMaruru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2021, 19:04   #30509
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
Short answer: No, it won't. Probably not for several years (the tech I mean, not the device itself).

Long answer/Context: 3G began decommissioning around the world just last year. We're still in the spectrum allocation for trials phase for 5G in India, field trials yet to begin. Even when it eventually goes commercial, the kind of 5G we'll get in the initial phases is probably going to be the sub-6 GHz frequency band that won't be a night & day difference over 4G/LTE, performance-wise.

The game changer, high-frequency mmWave, will need major infrastructure investments, we don't know if/when the government will allow that spectrum to be used, and whether the RoI will be lucrative enough for service providers to bother with widespread adoption beyond large, congested metros.

5G is still practically hype on paper and not much else, and far from becoming ubiquitous to the point it should be a factor in a purchase decision. Quite a few 5G-ready phones currently on sale are of the single-band variety, and there's no guarantee those bands will be supported in India, so they're iffy even from a 'future-proofing' perspective that a lot of people are buying them for.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 28th May 2021 at 19:06.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th May 2021, 21:14   #30510
BHPian

Finally updated my OP 7T to Android 11 and it looks a bit different compared to OOS10. I dont know if I like it, but it sure is different, probably a matter of getting used to it.
I use my phone mostly for browsing & WhatsApp, so i cant help much with other parameters such as performance, battery etc.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks