Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2021, 22:09   #30511
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldice4u View Post
Finally updated my OP 7T to Android 11 and it looks a bit different compared to OOS10.
Hey, could you mention if it was the 11.0.1.2 update or 11.0.1.1 version? I want to update as well but I am seeing a lot of users reporting performance and battery issues with this new version.
Old 28th May 2021, 23:18   #30512
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftlock View Post
Hey, could you mention if it was the 11.0.1.2 update or 11.0.1.1 version? I want to update as well but I am seeing a lot of users reporting performance and battery issues with this new version.
I'm on 11.0.1.1. As a rule of thumb i always wait till the bug fix update gets released post a major update and i went in after the second update came in on Android 11
coldice4u is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2021, 23:32   #30513
Senior - BHPian

Looks like it is a bad time to be shopping for a budget phone (10-15K) with a screen smaller than 6 inches. I find absolutely no options in that space right now. Samsung Core M01 is a bare bones archaic phone, which is the only recent compact phone that has been launched in the less than 15k segment.

I am now on the verge of getting the Redmi 6 Pro (not the Note version) which is sold at a very inflated 14k on Flipkart for the 4gb version. It could be a step down from my Note 7 Pro, but I am tired of these large sized phones and I have no other choice!
Old 29th May 2021, 19:42   #30514
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Looks like it is a bad time to be shopping for a budget phone (10-15K) with a screen smaller than 6 inches.

I am tired of these large sized phones and I have no other choice!
Take a look at the Realme 8 (4G variant). Yes the screen size is not less than 6 inches, but from what I have heard, it's very sleek (less than 8mm thin) and lightweight so you might find that to be a reasonable compromise to make. And it appears to be a value for money offering for the price.
Oxy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2021, 09:23   #30515
Oxy
BHPian

Is there any way to redirect WhatsApp media files to the memory card instead of allowing it to consume internal storage space? Or better still, has anyone here installed WhatsApp on the memory card? Any help on this would be extremely useful.
Old 30th May 2021, 09:51   #30516
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
Is there any way to redirect WhatsApp media files to the memory card instead of allowing it to consume internal storage space? Or better still, has anyone here installed WhatsApp on the memory card? Any help on this would be extremely useful.
You can move your WhatsApp media files to your phones SD card using the following method:
https://www.techbout.com/transfer-wh...sd-card-51388/

However, the WhatsApp app itself cannot be moved your SD card as mentioned here:
https://faq.whatsapp.com/android/dow...-card/?lang=en
SgtRepeat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2021, 10:22   #30517
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtRepeat View Post
You can move your WhatsApp media files to your phones SD card using the following method:
https://www.techbout.com/transfer-wh...sd-card-51388/

However, the WhatsApp app itself cannot be moved your SD card as mentioned here:
https://faq.whatsapp.com/android/dow...-card/?lang=en
Sorry, that just moves the media files once. It doesn't redirect the files to the SD card. May be you need a scheduled folder sync app. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....filestosdcard
I'm not sure if the above utility does a periodic sync, I have not used it.

Unless you are rooted, I don't think there's any way to make WhatsApp set its media storage to the SD card. Same with the app itself.

What I would suggest instead is, go to settings in WhatsApp and look at storage. WhatsApp allows you to delete files contact by contact (or group by group) which makes it easy to wipe entire group's media that contain a lot of rubbish.
mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2021, 16:31   #30518
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
Sorry, that just moves the media files once. It doesn't redirect the files to the SD card. May be you need a scheduled folder sync app. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....filestosdcard
There's no way you can auto redirect WhatsApp media files to an SD card. Even if you did, it would remove those images from the chat where it appeared. That's highly inconvenient.

With phones nowadays increasingly doing away with the SD card slot, it's better to buy a phone with at least 256 GB of internal storage.

Last edited by ampere : 3rd June 2021 at 19:12.
Old 30th May 2021, 17:08   #30519
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtRepeat View Post
With phones nowadays increasingly doing away with the SD card slot, it's better to buy a phone with at least 256 GB of internal storage.
With a rooted phone, it is most likely possible to fool WhatsApp into using the SD card (unless they have really gone out of their way to restrict it). Since my current phone is not rooted, I have not tried it with the latest version of Android.

I think the best solution here is to periodically save just the files you really need into some folder of your choice (may be even on the cloud or other backup storage like a hard disk ) and clear all the rest of the media files from storage. Unless you are using WhatsApp for some serious work (business account may be?) most of the stuff that accumulates is rubbish. So, even if you have 1TB of storage, it will soon be full of rubbish (ask me how I know ).

If you really want an automated solution:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...tomovetosdcard
Set up the above app (auto move to sdcard) to move files periodically to SD card.
Old 30th May 2021, 17:31   #30520
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
With a rooted phone, it is most likely possible to fool WhatsApp into using the SD card (unless they have really gone out of their way to restrict it).
The simplest solution to not accumulate rubbish is to turn off the Media auto-download option in WhatsApp. This way, you can decide which images & videos you want to download.

Last edited by ampere : 3rd June 2021 at 19:12.
Old 1st June 2021, 16:27   #30521
Distinguished - BHPian

Is it possible to still get a Samsung S10 (or any of its variants) in stores now? Any leads on expected pricing?
Old 1st June 2021, 18:56   #30522
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
On Samsung A70 ( Android 11), I've the option (it is under settings - Storage Booster) of moving only the what's app content to Memory card, however, the app is still installed on my phone memory.

I also make sure that I delete the back-up files( internal storage- WhatsApp- Database) once my data is backed up on Gdrive. It is safe as you are just deleting the local backup which is not required.
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20210601185225_storage-booster.jpg  

Last edited by atulsian : 1st June 2021 at 19:10.
atulsian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2021, 16:59   #30523
Senior - BHPian

My wife moved to a Samsung M21 last year after her iPhone SE started having battery issues. Being used to a small phone, she just didn't like the huge Samsung which was also heavy thanks to the monster 6000 mAh battery. It is a great phone for the price though.

Considering there are only 2 small phone options - Pixel 4a and the iPhone 12 mini, went ahead with the Pixel 4a yesterday. Kudos to Flipkart for the 1 hour delivery with their 'Flipkart quick' service.

The phone itself feels really nice to hold, and even though it's plastic it feels very well built. This is a perfectly sized phone for anyone who is looking for a good compact phone. Not sure when the Pixel 5a will come to India or if it will even come, so didn't want to wait endlessly.
fiat_tarun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2021, 08:36   #30524
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
went ahead with the Pixel 4a yesterday. Kudos to Flipkart for the 1 hour delivery with their 'Flipkart quick' service.
Congrats on the buy, Please do report hows the battery life and camera
Artyom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2021, 12:35   #30525
Distinguished - BHPian

I own a 3 and a 1/2 year old LG G6. A few key features that made me go in for the G6 were the excellent camera, IP68 rating and affordability. We lost an iphone once due to accidentally dropping it in water, so ip68 was important.

My usage is not very high. Mainly photographs, whatsapp, podcasts, some occassional browsing and emails. No games. However over the last year or so, the phone has become dreadfully slow. It would often take several seconds for the phone to respond, even when there werent any background apps. Recently I did a full factory reset and that that has improved things substantially. Still I occassionally find that the phone takes a couple of seconds to react. Also the camera got scratched due to my carelessness, so the quality of pictures isnt that great these days. I can live with that but the slow speed is really starting to annoy me.

I started checking for some options within the Rs 50K mark. My initial criteria was excellent camera, IP68 rating and 3.5 mm headphone jack. I would want to keep the phone for at least 3-4 years, so I dont mind paying a bit more for better hardware now. I understand that 5G is still a grey area in India so it might be prudent to wait and watch before deciding on a 5G phone. Fingerprint sensor doesnt matter to me. Latest Android version doesnt matter to me. I just need the phone to run well for the next few years. Somehow I feel a new (unopened) Samsung S10 (or E) will fit my requirements very well.

Im not keen on the One Plus series and prefer going with Samsung. I have owned Lenovo, Apple, LG and Samsung in the past. For this money, I prefer going with a Samsung. However, I couldnt really find any decent options that met all my criteria and this is making me reconsider. Due to Covid, I cant and dont want to go out and check out these options in stores. So, for the first time, I might end up buying the phone without trying it out myself.

Samsung Galaxy Note 10 Lite
+ Big 6.7" screen
+ 3.5 mm jack
+ Relatively affordable. The 6GB RAM version is retailing for Rs 27,999 on Amazon.
- Exynos processor
- Front facing camera is poor (not really a big issue)
- No IP68
+ / - S Pen is useless to me

Samsung A72
+ Big screen
+ IP67
- Mid range processor
- Overpriced at Rs 35K ?

Samsung S10 Lite
+ Big 6.7" screen
+ Snapdragon processor
- No IP68
- No 3.5 mm jack
+ / - Price at Rs 41K (Flipkart), Rs 50K (Amazon), no price on Samsung site

Samsung S20 FE 4G (Current)
+ Big 6.5" screen
+ IP68
+ Price of Rs 37,999
- Exynos processor
- No 3.5 mm jack
+ / - Camera seems to perform similarly to the S10 Lite

Samsung S20 FE 4G (Expected based on reports)
+ Big 6.5" screen
+ IP68
+ Price of ~ Rs 40K (guessing)
+ Snapdragon processor
- No 3.5 mm jack

Samsung S20 FE 5G
+ Big 6.5" screen
+ IP68
+ Price of Rs 47,999
+ Snapdragon processor
- No 3.5 mm jack

On paper, the S20 FE 5G meets all my requirements except for the 3.5 mm jack, but Im not very sure if I need to spend more money now for a 5G phone. If I wait, the expected S20 FE 4G will be an even better VFM proposition. Either way, I will have to use an adapter to makes use of my Marshall headphones.

However, the excellent price of the Note 10 Lite is highly appealing, considering my limited usage. I will lose out on waterproof rating but other than that, it meets all my requirements very well and saves me a good chunk of money. I saw some good feedback on the Note 10 Lite on this thread.

I plan to keep the LG G6 as a backup phone and use it for navigational duties when I am riding in the rains etc. With the G6, I have only used the phone in the water (for photography) a couple of times.

What would you guys recommend? Should I go for the Note 10 Lite at 70% the cost of the updated S20 FE 4G and enjoy it for the next few years until 5G gets rolled out? Or should I just wait for the updated S20 FE 4G and forget the Note 10 Lite? Any thoughts and feedback would be appreciated.

Also any feedback on buying LG phones in 2021? I know they have discontinued their mobile business, but I saw a couple of their phones being recommended on this thread. I checked the models (Velvet, Wing etc) and they meet my requirements even better than the Samsungs do. But I do not know LGs future in India.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks