Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2013, 12:08   #2626
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
As has been said, the spare tyre does not count. The 4m rule is bumper to bumper.
I would say the rule is bumper to bumper 'for the time being'!

I guess the rule was formulated assuming that bumpers would be the outermost body part at front and rear. It could be just a matter of time before the rule gets tweaked to address this loophole since such a car would still need around 4.2m space to park irrespective of what the spec says as length.
Old 6th February 2013, 13:38   #2627
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh.sml View Post
...In my understanding price will be the decider here. if it is just 40k-70k cheaper than Duster, than it is advantage Duster. Ford need to show a considerable price differential to be in a fight. In a price sensitive market, that will be the key to survival.
Ecosport has a lot going for it especially in the looks department. Duster will look pretty old compared to it.

Other factors that could work for it

- Loaded compared to Duster (any variant) even if priced at par or slightly above
- Better interiors (feel & quality)
- Looks!
- Quick deliveries or a max 1 month waiting period (if the plan works as per Ford's thinking). This could be the single biggest advantage for Ford compared to Renault.
- Dealership experience; there are reports that Ford has instructed SAs to be really good on customer experience.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 6th February 2013 at 13:42.
Old 6th February 2013, 14:22   #2628
Senior - BHPian

1) Has the ecoboost engine already been plonked in to the new fiesta hatch? Or is the ecosport the first ford to have it?
2) Comparisons with duster will surface all the while, but for the moment the duster has got off to a very good start and it would be really difficult for the ecosport to usurp its position. Secondly, the duster does not abide to the 4 meter rule, hence I think it may end up being more practical as a 10-12 lakh car. Ecosport while trying to duck under the 4 meter rule might end up with a really small boot which may turn off some customers. Heck, even the old dzire was 4.1 or 4.2 mtrs, so the ecosport ought to be quite small in size when compared to the duster { which itself is comparitively a smaller suv in relation to say the xuv}.
Hoping it does well, but pricing it bang opposite the duster may be a tad risky.
Old 6th February 2013, 15:22   #2629
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
1) Has the ecoboost engine already been plonked in to the new fiesta hatch? Or is the ecosport the first ford to have it?
Yes. The 1 litre ecoboost engine is already doing duty in the European spec Fusion and the new Fiesta hatch there.

Also the american spec cars even get the 1.6 litre ecoboost.

Last edited by drpudhi : 6th February 2013 at 15:26.
Old 6th February 2013, 15:41   #2630
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpudhi View Post
Also the american spec cars even get the 1.6 litre ecoboost.
But consumer reports claims that the 1.6 in Fusionfall short in both acceleration and fuel economy

Quote:
Ford's pair of EcoBost turbocharged four-cylinder engines fall short in both acceleration and fuel economy when compared with competitive models such as the Honda Accord, Nissan Altima, and Toyota Camry. The 1.6-liter turbocharged four provides decent performance overall but needs to work hard and sounds gruff when revved.
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/01/23/c...ed-mitsubishi/
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2013, 15:57   #2631
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
But consumer reports claims that the 1.6 in Fusionfall short in both acceleration and fuel economy

Sorry my bad. That was a typo.

Its the Focus and not the Fusion that comes with the 1 & 1.6 litre ecoboost engines in the Europe and US. And I hope these engines are more than sufficient for the Focus.
Old 6th February 2013, 16:04   #2632
BANNED

Source: http://indianautosblog.com/2013/02/f...n-brazil-62634

"In Brazil, the Renault Duster has started feeling the pinch from the Ford EcoSport as the latter outsold the former in January by almost two folds."

Will it happen in India too? EcoSport being more modern in terms of looks promises to do that, but my concern is about the over-done front end looks.
romeomidhun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2013, 18:35   #2633
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
..but my concern is about the over-done front end looks.
Going by the fact that XUV sells like candy, Indians have a taste for overdone front ends! One way to impress as an SUV seems to be to have a overdone front side. It works for XUV i guess it will also work for the EcoSport. What might not is the 1.0 ecoBoost. Selling technology to the masses in India in something like a tough task. But I share your thoughts, if Ford can get the message of Power v/s efficiency right via their marketing (keep the marketing simple and for the masses) then I do not see why the Brasilian scenario is not possible in India. the +50P/month for the heavier Oil might work in favor too (something missing in Brasil).
Old 6th February 2013, 20:47   #2634
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
It could be just a matter of time before the rule gets tweaked to address this loophole since such a car would still need around 4.2m space to park irrespective of what the spec says as length.
It is these sudden tweaking which gets the industry livid. But they have to grin and bear it.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 6th February 2013, 22:01   #2635
BHPian

Looking at pictures on the previous pages, this one is going to sell like hot cakes. Hope Ford don't get overwhelmed by the bookings.
Old 6th February 2013, 22:13   #2636
BHPian

Saw a red ecosport on Mathura Road near riddhi Ford dealer. I think it was getting unloaded from trailer. Looked really small... at best a tall hatch with spare wheel at back

No pics could be taken unfortunately, as I was driving
Old 6th February 2013, 22:21   #2637
Senior - BHPian

I wish Ford named it anything other than Ecosport. This word does not evoke any passion. Also, I'm sure Ford meant ecology by Eco. But in India it will be perceived as economy. Not a very good word for people with aspiration. Word Economy may be acceptable on hatches but not on SUVs. Especially on stylish one like this.
Old 6th February 2013, 23:07   #2638
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
I wish Ford named it anything other than Ecosport. This word does not evoke any passion. Also, I'm sure Ford meant ecology by Eco. But in India it will be perceived as economy. Not a very good word for people with aspiration. Word Economy may be acceptable on hatches but not on SUVs. Especially on stylish one like this.
I believe "Economy" means "value for money (VFM)". VFM vehicles are a hit with indians. So let it be hatches (swift, dzire), UV (innova) or SUV (duster, XUV) we indians will buy them no matter how rich or middle class we are.
The only thing that matters the most to 98% indians is "kitna deti hain".
I think Ecosport is a perfect combination of economy & environment (needs) along with sport utility looks and usage.
Old 7th February 2013, 00:36   #2639
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
One of my colleague asked me whether the car is from Maruti. He thinks its Maruti Eeco sports model.. Damn frustrating...
sbala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2013, 01:06   #2640
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbala View Post
One of my colleague asked me whether the car is from Maruti. He thinks its Maruti Eeco sports model.. Damn frustrating...
That should goto the funny quotes from non petrol heads thread
vineethvazhayil is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks