Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2014, 16:58   #886
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2014 Mahindra Scorpio Facelift (W105). EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 7.98 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Really? The question you ask is 'capable'.
It is more than capable if you ignore the bells and whistles.
All wheel disc brakes vs front disc brakes
140 bhp + higher torque vs 120 and lower torque
Looks (maybe subjective but to me Storme looks much better)

The only thing Tata needs to do is to bring out the Storme with updated interiors so that I can 'kill' the hype generated by the new Scorpio.
I agree with you on the capabilities of Storme mentioned by you, I have always liked Safari/Storme over the Scorpio. But the sales figures of Scorpio vis a vis Storme tell a different story.

Even Fortuner has front disc and rear drums, compared to Storme!

So what is holding back the sales of Storme compared to the other SUVs of its size and segment?

Is it its Size?
Is it its price?
Is it its brand value?
Parm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2014, 17:15   #887
BHPian

I did a test drive and check of the new Scorpio at the Mahindra dealer in Patparganj Industrial Area today. I checked out the S10 2WD model.

My impressions are tabulated below:

Looks

1. Overall, the design looks just about ok. Since the Scorpio greenhouse is an older design, the tweaks made to the front and back don't seem to gel with the greenhouse.
2. The front actually looks quite alright. With the more upright grille, it makes the front look higher than the older version. Also, the intercooler intake vent is now integrated into the bonnet, which looks quite nice.
3. Personally, I didn't like the grille design with the tiger claw chrome marks. Also the grille is quite flimsy to touch. A small bang will break it, for sure.
4. Its the rear that takes a beating. By putting that black plastic panel, they have attempted to make the Scorp look wider, but unfortunately, all it does is make it look like an afterthought. Couple that with the smaller rear glass (smaller by quite a significant margin) and the back looks like it has been squished.
5. In the interiors, the higher dashboard has resulted in reduction in visibility outside. The dashboard itself is designed quite well, with a butch, rough and tumble look.

Quality
This is where I feel let down. The quality of materials both outside and inside (except for the sheet metal) seems low grade. The dashboard plastics etc feel quite low rent (like the Mahindra Verito, Xylo etc). Hard and cheap. The inside door handles, rear ac vents etc all feel low grade and belonging to the Verito category (or worse).
The grille, the plastic cladding at the back, the padding in the doors etc all seem basic.
The quality of the upholstery, stitching etc also don't leave an impression of 'quality'.

Comfort and space
1. Cabin is very cramped, both in the front and in the rear.
2. With the higher set dashboard, it feels quite tight in the front, though it gives a nice butch, off roader feel (like the LR Defender).
3. There is absolutely no space between the driver's right leg and the door armrest, which I think will get very uncomfortable over long drives.
4. The rear seat is a really FLAT bench, with no contours or support whatsoever. Also, the centre pull down armrest is way too small to be of much comfort.
5. The airconditioning seems to be working fine. The climate control system is welcome indeed. However, it won't be there in the lower variants.
5. There are no roof / pillar rear ac vents, even in the top model. There are only two small floor vents.
6. If a tall driver pushes his seat back, there is no space for the passenger at the rear (I guess this is same with the present Scorpio).
7. The door pads are also very hard and bland, with no bolstering / support. This might not be comfortable on long drives.

Drive
1. The engine is the same MHawk, so it behaves the same way. There is a nice initial thrust and the engine revs quite freely.
2. Engine is quite silent and smooth inside. I guess sound deadening is quite improved.
3. The gearshift is still notchy, but I guess it is an improvement over the older one. The throws are also a little lesser.
4. Engaging 2nd (upshift or downshift) looked like a problem, with the gear refusing to slot in easily. Some amount of shoving was needed.
5. Acceleration is brisk, but somehow I could feel the lack of torque as compared to the 140bhp engines.

Handling and braking
Though I couldn't take it on an open road, I did get a very short straight, where I accelerated to about 80kmph. It felt stable enough. What I couldn't do was check the boat-like wavering at speed, which happens with the older Scorpio.
I took it to some rough unpaved areas around the industrial area, where it took the bumps etc with ease. It felt 'Ladakh Ready', so to say. However, possibly due to the short wheelbase, it did feel a little wobbly.

Verdict
The new Scorpio is indeed an improvement over the older one, but I am afraid it seems more cosmetic than functional. The hydroform chassis doesn't seem to improve the vehicle much, simply because the wheelbase is the same and the centre of gravity is the same. I couldn't feel much improvement due to the change in suspension either. Since I couldn't drive it on the highway, I can't comment on high speed manners. However, I don't think it will instill the kind of confidence that the Safari Storme does, as compared to the Safari DICOR.
Overall, I think it will continue to appeal in the traditional Scorpio buyers market. The S4 4X4, of course, will be what most people here in TBhp will be interested in. This is a segment ignored by everyone and that's where Mahindra has hit a bull's eye.

All the best to the new Scorp!
Attached Thumbnails
2014 Mahindra Scorpio Facelift (W105). EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 7.98 lakhs-wp_20140926_13_19_34_pro.jpg  

sasi405 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 26th September 2014, 17:27   #888
Senior - BHPian

Saw the Scorpio just a few mins back @ Mumbai airport. Even on the white in flesh, the rear is actually not so bad as in the pictures. I really liked the slight increase in the bonnet height because a high bonnet is a typical SUV attribute and I had always wanted the Storme bonnet to be a wee bit higher. Overall it looks very good and a superb effort by M&M. 22k kms into the Storme now but if I had waited a year for my purchase till now, it would have been a tough decision, but..... Would have still preferred the Storme for the exclusivity and some intangible affinity to the Tata brand.
Old 26th September 2014, 17:30   #889
Senior - BHPian

All I can say is that IMHO, this is the ugliest vehicle that has come out of the mahindra stable. It appears that the design team went into overdrive to replace all rounded edges with sharp hard ones. The result is that the final design is ghastly.
Old 26th September 2014, 17:32   #890
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
All wheel disc brakes vs front disc brakes
140 bhp + higher torque vs 120 and lower torque
Looks (maybe subjective but to me Storme looks much better)
Save for better braking, there are not many areas where a Storme shines. Drive or be a passenger in a 4X4 Scorpio (with captain seats) and point out areas where a Storme shines. A/C is one area.

Looks are subjective.

The 2.2 (sourced from the same AVL, Austrian company) is tuned way better in Scorpio & is refined.
Old 26th September 2014, 17:32   #891
Senior - BHPian

NEW Scorpio rear vs Storme rear.

Guys please lets have your comments on the two.
Attached Thumbnails
2014 Mahindra Scorpio Facelift (W105). EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 7.98 lakhs-scorpio-rear.jpg  

2014 Mahindra Scorpio Facelift (W105). EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 7.98 lakhs-storme-rear.jpg  

Old 26th September 2014, 17:37   #892
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Save for better braking, there are not many areas where a Storme shines. Drive or be a passenger in a 4X4 Scorpio (with captain seats) and point out areas where a Storme shines. A/C is one area.

Looks are subjective.

The 2.2 (sourced from the same AVL, Austrian company) is tuned way better in Scorpio & is refined.
I have to agree; even with 120 horses it accelerates to 100 in 14.XX seconds storme is 15.XX.
Old 26th September 2014, 18:01   #893
BHPian

Has Mahindra ditched front facing third row of seats. Almost all images i have seen have side facing seats at the back. I thought this was considered to be one of the biggest strengths of the Scorpio over the Safari/Storme.
Old 26th September 2014, 18:08   #894
BHPian

Very nice looking indeed. The front looks are great but the rear is debatable, blue lights, seriously!!!! Maybe a case of Monday Blues when the designers were designing this product. I do like the central strip wherein the number plate would be possibly mounted. Interiors and dashboard also look very nice.

Yes to get a chance to see it in person but the photos suggest that Black and Red are the two colours it looks best in (personal choice).

Given the vast majority of changes, is it fair to call it a face-lift?

Cheers,
SK
Old 26th September 2014, 19:46   #895
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
NEW Scorpio rear vs Storme rear.

Guys please lets have your comments on the two.
I'll pick the Storme minus that Bull bar thing.

Overall the Scorpio does seem to be a nice deal if Black or blue are too be chosen.

Waiting for official report.

Anurag.
Old 26th September 2014, 19:53   #896
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Looks are subjective.

A storme shines in comfort, material quality and stability. Scorpio feels cramped in comparison to storme.
sourabhzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2014, 20:07   #897
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
Has Mahindra ditched front facing third row of seats. Almost all images i have seen have side facing seats at the back. I thought this was considered to be one of the biggest strengths of the Scorpio over the Safari/Storme.
Bro, when I bought my Scorpio, I considered this an advantage over the Safari, but having used the Scorpio with front facing third row for 3 plus years, I can tell you that it is better to get the side facing third row and consider the car a 5 seater as the cabin is too crammed to consider the scorpio a seen seater. If you try to use it as an eight seater with front facing third row, both second and third row passengers will be uncomfortable.

Visit a show room and find an eight seater. Set your front seats in a comfortable position. Next set your middle row in a comfortable position on the slider. Then try the front facing third row. You won't be able to sit at all.

Try to take a standard 21 inch suitcase that fits in an overhead bin on a flight and put it behind the third row of the scropio the door will not close. The only luggage you can keep inside a scorpio with front facing third row is small 4 inch VIP breifcases or 12 pack cans of beer

Best to go for side facing seat set up and consider the extra seats a jump seat for short trips.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2014, 20:30   #898
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Looks are subjective.

The storme has a better GC ( I believe 205 vs 183 mm for the top end variants ) than the Scorp. The space inside is better.

The ride quality for 2nd row passengers and interior quality was better than the Scorp , although these 2 areas may be equal after this new launch.

I find the rear of both vehicles uninspiring from the pics above , although I would pick the bland storme.

Last edited by sdp1975 : 26th September 2014 at 20:33.
Old 26th September 2014, 22:44   #899
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
A storme shines in comfort, material quality and stability. Scorpio feels cramped in comparison to storme.
Have you driven a 4X4 Scorpio? Specifically asking about the stability bit. Space, yes. Material quality? Spend time in both. The new one appears better. Will reserve my comments for sometime though.

Last edited by Sheel : 26th September 2014 at 22:46.
Old 26th September 2014, 22:47   #900
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Have you driven a 4X4 Scorpio?
No, but is it remarkably better than 4x2 and a Safari? I doubt.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks