Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2014, 09:21   #856
BHPian

re: 2014 Mahindra Scorpio Facelift (W105). EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 7.98 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
This will surely reduce the duster and safari traffic. Sorry Tata and Renault.
Renault is planning a fight back. They have a solid AWD product launched as well, and decent pricing too.

The Tata team is busy making holiday plans for Diwali and some party plans for the New Year. After that, and if they are in the mood, they might even consider launching a Storme with a two DIN (Yes, you heard right... a full two DIN, not a 1.25 DIN, not a 1.75 DIN but a full two DIN) music player.
They have one of the best products and yet they are squandering away an opportunity to make a market impact.

By then the Scorpio and Duster would have sold about 3000 units each at least.

Anyways, this is the Scorpio thread and so lets focus on that. The vehicle looks pretty good from the front. And the s10 interiors frankly look awesome.

Question: How good has the Scorpio been in the 4x4 department? Somehow I haven't seen as many 4x4 Scorpios on the road as I have seen 4x4 Safaris.
ptushar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2014, 09:33   #857

Wow, the Nex Gen Scorpio is here. The design actually grows in on you. Its looks way better than the spyhot pictures. The black colour is the best looking of all. If allowed to have tinted windows, this would look killer. The Headlamp console is awesome, it looks much more better in flesh. Eagerly waiting for the test drive, to see the improvement in drive quality and mechanicals.

Would definitely trade in my 2012 SLE for this beauty but would wait till couple of years ( am sure, this model will not be updated for atleast next 5 to 10 years), for all the teething issues to be fixed and make this, the best Indian SUV in the market..
Old 26th September 2014, 09:47   #858
Senior - BHPian

The NDTV review by SVP states that ABS and airbags are optionally available across all 5 variants and he quotes Pawan Goenka on it.

http://auto.ndtv.com/reviews/2014-ma...-review-670665
Old 26th September 2014, 09:53   #859
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptushar View Post
The Tata team is busy making holiday plans for Diwali and some party plans for the New Year.
. No comments, but I think well worth consuming my single smiley per post here

Quote:
By then the Scorpio and Duster would have sold about 3000 units each at least.
For an aged model the scorpio sells in pretty decent numbers.

Quote:
Question: How good has the Scorpio been in the 4x4 department? Somehow I haven't seen as many 4x4 Scorpios on the road as I have seen 4x4 Safaris.
I had a Scorpio mhawk 4x4 . Overall, decent product, but biggest problem is that it has only 180 mm ground clearance which caused the center to scrape badly when going over estate roads where the tire tracks are dug down and the center of the road is higher. It also has very poor approach, ramp over and departure angles. These yardsticks are unknown to Mahindra engineers. The Safari 4x4 has 205 mm ground clearance plus rear LSD which makes it more capable than a Scorpio 4x4. However, the Safari offers 4x4 only in the top end trim and last when I checked this was over 16 lakhs on the road, at this price point, I would rather well jump to the 20 to 30 lakhs bracket.

I can tell you that the 4x4 scropio will not be as capable as the 4x4 Duster, purely based on the hardware differences, Ground clearance, approach, ramp over and departure angles, etc. but if I can get the S4 with safety features and save 2 to 3 lakhs over the duster 4x4, I will consider it. If S4 is not available with any optional safety features, I think Duster 4x4 is the way to go. In this damn day and age, it is just not worth spending north of 10 lakhs on a vehicle that doesn't have ABS atleast.

I got to admit that of the many reviews that I have read, NDTV's is the only review that has specifically highlighted importance of safety features. I wish more auto journos would highlight Indian manufacturers lack of interest in providing safety features except on top end models which are unaffordable to most buyers. They will put in gimmickry like keyless entry, auto headlamps, wipers, etc but no safety features.

To quote them:

"But I have saved the bit I most definitely love for the end. At the 2014 Auto Expo in New Delhi in February, Mahindra boss Pawan Goenka had promised me, that the company will make safety features optional and available across all variants of any future products. Guess what? He is living up to that promise. Yes the safety option pack comprising dual airbags and ABS is now optionally available to consumers across all 5 variants. Three cheers Dr Goenka and team M&M! The move is a solid one, and will hopefully compel others to follow. But for this first step I salute M&M big time. I hope the marketing chaps can communicate this effectively, so most buyers know that they can opt for the features. Just excellent for our market. And I am "

Thank you Siddharth Vinayak Patankar & NDTV Team

Last edited by suhaas307 : 26th September 2014 at 15:24. Reason: Merging consecutive posts. please use the EDIT / QUOTE+ functions within 30 minutes instead of posting consecutively. Thanks :)
4x4addict is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 26th September 2014, 10:05   #860
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
but if I can get the S4 with safety features and save 2 to 3 lakhs over the duster 4x4, I will consider it.
I am not sure of this, but I did read a review here:

I attach below an excerpt from the NDTV review:

Quote:
Originally Posted by from NDTV review
At the 2014 Auto Expo in New Delhi in February, Mahindra boss Pawan Goenka had promised me, that the company will make safety features optional and available across all variants of any future products. Guess what? He is living up to that promise. Yes the safety option pack comprising dual airbags and ABS is now optionally available to consumers across all 5 variants. Three cheers Dr Goenka and team M&M!
If this is true then Scorpio indeed will come with safety features as optional on all models.
Old 26th September 2014, 10:16   #861
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Thank you Siddharth Vinayak Patankar & NDTV Team
Quote:
If this is true then Scorpio indeed will come with safety features as optional on all models.
Then someone with a Twitter a/c should ask Mr.Goenka to explain the disconnect between what he says and the official website:

2014 Mahindra Scorpio Facelift (W105). EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 7.98 lakhs-scorpiosafety.jpg

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 26th September 2014 at 10:26.
comfortablynumb is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2014, 10:21   #862
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Then someone with a Twitter a/c needs to ask Mr.Goenka to explain the disconnect between what he says and the official website:

Cheers,
Vikram
Thats a good point. The website should have atleast put an "O" in those columns. Can someone who has been to the showroom OR is planning to visit the showroom please confirm this with the sales representative there. But I do hope that M&M provide this, it will surely make it far more appealing to people who value these features.
Old 26th September 2014, 10:21   #863
BHPian

New Scorpio is on Display at Mumbai Airport. On Road Price for top end 4x4 variant is well above Rs 15 Lacs. The car looks good in flesh from the front, not so impressive from the side and rear. Attaching couple of pics:

2014 Mahindra Scorpio Facelift (W105). EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 7.98 lakhs-image1084634358.jpg

2014 Mahindra Scorpio Facelift (W105). EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 7.98 lakhs-image1043382473.jpg

2014 Mahindra Scorpio Facelift (W105). EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 7.98 lakhs-image3036610023.jpg

And there are no grab handles in the rear

2014 Mahindra Scorpio Facelift (W105). EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 7.98 lakhs-image1927603123.jpg
TSIched'Out is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th September 2014, 10:56   #864
Senior - BHPian

Look at the official images of both Safari Storme and Scropio below. Scorpio does look more butch but it also looks cruder of the two. Those rain gutters on the roof always get me
2014 Mahindra Scorpio Facelift (W105). EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 7.98 lakhs-scorpio-2014.jpg
2014 Mahindra Scorpio Facelift (W105). EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 7.98 lakhs-httpwww.tatasafari.comassetsimagesuploadswallpaper0fb51032b4d61d9b1b92ddf6c9d66938.jpg
extreme_torque is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2014, 11:27   #865
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Look at the official images of both Safari Storme and Scropio below. Scorpio does look more butch but it also looks cruder of the two. Those rain gutters on the roof always get me ]
Do not agree on this one. Have seen Safari and Scorpio parked side by side a number of times and, to me, Safari has much more presence than Scorpio. In these pictures too, Safari seems to be smiling while taking the obstacle with ease. .
sourabhzen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2014, 11:54   #866
Distinguished - BHPian

The 'Live Young, Live Free' banner seems to have re-appeared in Scorpio. I remember last year Scorpio, Xylo and XUV sporting this badge, however sometime around first half of this year it was stopped.
Old 26th September 2014, 12:19   #867
BHPian

To be honest, I've refrained from commenting on the looks since GTO posted the scoop pictures. I just wanted to get a clear picture and I feel it is not that bad. The Front looks good and aggressive while the rear surely looks overdone - too many things going on there. But I guess the design will grow on you as has been with many vehicles like the XUV 500, the Ritz etc. In my instance, I actually hated the Ritz when the first pictures surfaced, but many years and minimal facelift's later it has grown and looks good with clean and sedate looks.

I feel the vehicle has been aggressively priced and will still sell in good numbers as the previous gen. The interiors look much better than the previous version.

But the one drawback in my view is the difference between the features in the trim levels, the S10 is loaded will all the bells and whistles while the S8 looks a bit bare in comparison. This is solely my opinion.

All in all, I feel its a good product from M&M and I guess the numbers will speak for itself when they are out.

I guess the only thing left to do now is wait till the Mod's put up the extensive review and reports to get a better point of view.

PS: Hoping to see and test drive the vehicle tomorrow if its here in Mangalore, as I'm going to take delivery of my in laws' new Bolero.
Mahesh Prasad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2014, 13:20   #868
BHPian

Re: 2014 Mahindra Scorpio Facelift (W105). EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 7.98 lakhs

i do feel that the S8 is a sandwich variant with no real proposition apart from the extra airbag. The S6+ 4WD would have been a much better variant to offer instead. My money would have gone on that one quite easily if it were on offer. I dont think i can and will shell out 13 something lakhs (ex showroom) for a S10 4WD; at the same time the S4 4WD is just too bare bones.

Thanks to mahindra i will probably continue to be 2WD owner

Last edited by acidkill : 26th September 2014 at 13:21.
Old 26th September 2014, 13:42   #869
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2014 Mahindra Scorpio Facelift (W105). EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 7.98 lakhs

The Ball is in Tata's court to come out with a Storme capable of taking on the NEW Scorpio.
Old 26th September 2014, 13:56   #870
BHPian

Will they be launching a automatic. Any answers on this would be appreciated
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks