Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2014, 10:36   #916
BHPian

Re: 2014 Mahindra Scorpio Facelift (W105). EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 7.98 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Well, the new top end will be S10 and I believe it should not cost more than 12.50L ex-showroom.
Well that's not too far from the XUV Prices (Source Carwale.com)

Here are the onroad prices of XUV500 in Delhi

W4 12,76,201
W6 14,18,560
W8 16,01,830
Sportz Ltd 16,30,579

Here are the on-road prices of the new Scorpio in Delhi (Source - Carwale.com)

S2 9,10,856
S4 9,83,558
S6 11,15,092
S4 4WD 11,91,2270
S6 Plus 12,28,402
S8 12,76,033
S10 13,48,059
S10 4WD 15,32,773

Last edited by Styler : 27th September 2014 at 10:46.
Styler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2014, 11:37   #917
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

It seems that the S4 version has no projector lamps and those chrome slits on the front grill are missing too. Any pics of the S4 version? And any pics of the interiors without the 2-DIN system? I am basically keen on the S4 4wd, so wondered how it looks inside out minus the features of S10.
Old 27th September 2014, 13:35   #918
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
Any pics of the S4 version? And any pics of the interiors without the 2-DIN system? I am basically keen on the S4 4wd, so wondered how it looks inside out minus the features of S10.
I too am interested in the S4 4x4 model, but no pictures anywhere. Hope someone is able to get their hands on one of them and upload some picturdes.
Old 27th September 2014, 13:42   #919
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
All I can say is that IMHO, this is the ugliest vehicle that has come out of the mahindra stable. It appears that the design team went into overdrive to replace all rounded edges with sharp hard ones. The result is that the final design is ghastly.
agree completely - what a fugly thing it is - I think the Ssangyong DNA is creeping in!
Old 27th September 2014, 13:52   #920
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
It seems that the S4 version has no projector lamps and those chrome slits on the front grill are missing too. Any pics of the S4 version? And any pics of the interiors without the 2-DIN system? I am basically keen on the S4 4wd, so wondered how it looks inside out minus the features of S10.
Had been to Banaglore Dealer yesterday. They had S10 and S8 on display.
Chrome Slits on Grill is only on S10.
Projector Headlamps on S8 and S10 only. Have taken detailed pics but unable to post from office. Please excuse.

India Garage (Dealer) mentioned he had about 50 bookings (all S10 ofcourse). No information on delivery time still, as they have not been informed about their allocation.
Old 27th September 2014, 15:25   #921
Senior - BHPian

Test drove the S10 2WD today. My observations:

Exterior:
  • The front looks good in person. I liked it better than the older Scorp, but looks are subjective. The rear, with the odd black applique looks bad, especially on a white car. Dark colours like black/blue would work better I think.
  • Projectors and the LED "eyebrows" would look nice at night. Static bending headlamps were there too, which is nice.
  • The much debated "grab handles" at the back are actually not handles. It's just a panel that somehow looks like a handle. There is no space to slip your hand in and hold onto it. The sides are a glossy black colour.
  • Rear lights are orange and blue, and look a little gaudy to me. But not as bad as I thought they would be. I think they'll look nice at night.
  • Alloys look nice, but I would have preferred some negative offset design more suited to an SUV
  • Looks pretty much the same from the side except the decorative thingie on the front fender
  • Overall, looks better from the outside, mainly because of the newly designed front. Black or blue would be my choice of colours.

Interiors:
  • New beige+grey+blue colour scheme looks decent (reminded me of the insides of an Indigo aircraft!)
  • Plastic quality has improved over earlier versions but still not great
  • Ergonomics are still flawed. Very little storage space/cubby holes in the cabin, rear seat armrest is too low to rest one's arm, front door pockets are ridiculously narrow, can't operate the driver seat height adjustment lever without opening the door first
  • Glovebox storage volume is small
  • Dashboard design is too boxy for me, but pretty well put together
  • Faux carbon fibre trim is nice
  • Door opening handles look and feel plasticky and flimsy
  • New instrument cluster is decent and the MID is easy to read
  • The raised hood on top of the instrument cluster might be an inconvenience for shorter drivers
  • Front seats have very little lumbar support, though thigh support has improved. Seating position is typical Scorpio - a little upright, though I quite liked it.
  • Middle seat is a bench that doesn't have a 40:60 split or recline or forward-aft adjustment
  • Leg space is limited for the middle row (no change here)
  • Storage options limited in the back as well, as in the outgoing Scorpio
  • No speakers in the middle row - coaxial speakers in the front and 4" coaxials on the tail gate
  • 3rd row has foldable jump seats which aren't too big or comfortable
  • Middle row can be folded all the way forward to liberate massive cargo room in the cabin
  • Rear A/C vents are small but pretty effective. Just a flow control knob, no individual temp/fan speed controls here
  • Steering from the XUV looks and feels nice. Controls are the same as the XUV. The track change button in tuner mode actually seeks radio channels instead of moving up/down pre-stored channels (like the XUV).
  • Head unit is decent looking and the navigation was working fine. Hard to view in the daytime though because of reflection. ICE sound quality is just about passable - nothing great.

Driving Experience
  • The mHawk Engine is a gem and is lovely in traffic and on long stretches. Lots of torque that kicks in fairly low (a little turbo lag is there but not too bad)
  • Clutch isn't too hard. No dead pedal and no space to the left of the clutch, which is a bummer.
  • Gear changes are not that smooth and feel a little stiff. But one will get used to it. The gear lever looks nice and doesn't vibrate as much as the older Scorp. Would have liked a 6th gear for the highway though.
  • Ride quality has significantly improved with the new chassis and suspension. Much more composed and not the usual boat like Scorpio ride. Even on undulating roads and bumps, potholes the ride quality was decent. There is some body roll, of course, but is much improved now (this is from personal experience, being a former Scorpio owner).
  • Steering is much more responsive and communicative. Feels like the XUV to drive, which is a good thing. Handles pretty well for a big SUV.
  • Turning radius has been reduced and I could take U-turns and park the car in tight spots with no issues.
  • Brakes are adequate but I would have liked some more bite. Car doesn't "dive" as much under braking.
  • Suspension is much improved. Flattens out potholes and bumps, and doesn't crash into the craters like the XUV does. Should be able to handle whatever our roads throw at it.
  • Overall feel was very solid with no squeaks or rattles whatsoever. But then this was a brand new vehicle. Long term longevity is to be seen.
  • NVH levels are low and cabin feels nice and insulated from road and engine noise.
  • Sat in the passenger and rear seats as well and I didn't feel carsick (which is an improvement in the Scorp!). I guess this is because of the less wallowy ride.
  • AC performed well. Climate control only in the top end S10.

Pricing:
The SA mentioned that the S10 2WD was 5000 bucks more expensive than the W6. 4WD even more so. That's a tough call. The XUV (even the W6) is well equipped and the cabin is much more comfortable and modern. The Scorpio though handles bad roads better and feels much more solid.

Overall:
I liked the new Scorp a lot. It looks good and refreshed, especially from the front. A black coloured specimen with some minor tweaks to reduce the chrome in some places would look killer I think. Add two auxiliary lamps and maybe a well designed bull-bar up front and I think you'll be set! M&M has addressed some of the biggest drawbacks of the older version - ride quality and handling - these are much improved. They should have improved some of the ergonomic aspects of the cabin too, but I guess one can live with it. The pricing is a little steep, especially in relation to its own flagship XUV. I can see the new Scorp cannibalizing some of the XUV W6's sales. But all in all, a significant upgrade to India's homegrown champ and I think it'll really sell well!

Last edited by razor4077 : 27th September 2014 at 15:28.
razor4077 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 27th September 2014, 15:33   #922
Senior - BHPian

Just wondering guys if anyone knows how static bending headlamps work?
Old 27th September 2014, 15:37   #923
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Same as in the XUV. If you look at the close up pictures of the headlamp cluster, you will find a small reflector which a halogen bulb angled side ways. When you turn, this lamp comes on. It is a very simple mechanism. The main headlamp doesn't turn, but this auxulliary light comes on and goes of. The Yeti fog lamp works in a similar way .

This light is trigged by a sensor in the steeing. It comes on when you turn the wheel in either direction.
Attached Thumbnails
2014 Mahindra Scorpio Facelift (W105). EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 7.98 lakhs-headlamp.jpg  

Last edited by 4x4addict : 27th September 2014 at 15:46.
4x4addict is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th September 2014, 15:42   #924
BANNED

Quote:
This is a system installed to lighten up the road / path beside the car.

A normal headlight (low beam) spreads light upto 100m ahead of the car. The area on the sides are dark so to illuminate the sides this static bending headlamps are fit.

Anurag.
Old 27th September 2014, 17:00   #925
BHPian

Being a Scorpio fan since childhood, I'm disappointed with the new 2014 model. The front looks very inspired from a Camaro/Fortuner and the rear from a Safari Storme. Doesn't look like aggressive at all, like it used to.
Old 27th September 2014, 17:27   #926
Distinguished - BHPian

Had gone to the dealer today. This is the price list at my city. Insurance and registration can be done from outside, no issues as such.

Name:  ForumRunner_20140927_172054.png
Views: 13625
Size:  441.1 KB

The TD vehicle, supposedly an S10, has reached the dealership but registration was not yet done so couldn't take test drive. Will go for a test drive next weekend.

Last edited by BoneCollector : 27th September 2014 at 17:35.
BoneCollector is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th September 2014, 17:49   #927
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Same as in the XUV. If you look at the close up pictures of the headlamp cluster, you will find a small reflector which a halogen bulb angled side ways. When you turn, this lamp comes on. It is a very simple mechanism. The main headlamp doesn't turn, but this auxulliary light comes on and goes of. The Yeti fog lamp works in a similar way .

This light is trigged by a sensor in the steeing. It comes on when you turn the wheel in either direction.
Thanks for the explanation. Just wondering how effective this would be and what's the wattage of the auxiliary bulb.
Old 27th September 2014, 18:25   #928
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the explanation. Just wondering how effective this would be and what's the wattage of the auxiliary bulb.
It is standard 55 watt H3 bulb that comes in the bumper fog lamps. It has about the same light intensity as a bumper installed OEM fog lamp. Not overtly bright but serves it's purpose.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2014, 18:39   #929
Senior - BHPian

Reserved my comments till I saw the Scorpio in the flesh. Popped into India Garage and saw the S10 test drive vehicle, the S10 display vehicle with front facing third row seats and the S8 variant also on display.

Searched the new vehicle parking area but could not find the S2 or S4 or S6

The front angle is the best angle to view it, the vehicle looks good and more importantly, its in line with what SUV customers want nowadays. The height of the bonnet has increased considerably and its more menacing now from a pedestrian point of view!

The rear is not too bad. The design at the back is finished in plastic cadding and so it does add to the looks

My main grouse against the designers were the 'grab handles' at the rear. Fortunately, they were not half as bad as I thought they would be, they were finished nicely and were actually plastic appendages and not grab handles. The designers maybe took this cue from the Verito Vibe tail lights

I managed to snap a few pictures of the third row front facing model. The seats at the rear are a pain to get into and out and they have no leg room whatsoever, they are definitely not for average size males. Having said that, must appreciate the fact that maybe this is the only vehicle where even the last row of seats come with a drop-down arm rest!

This is what the luggage space looks like on the all rows front facing model
2014 Mahindra Scorpio Facelift (W105). EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 7.98 lakhs-003.jpg

Few images of the third row (that is not me in the picture )
2014 Mahindra Scorpio Facelift (W105). EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 7.98 lakhs-004.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
2014 Mahindra Scorpio Facelift (W105). EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 7.98 lakhs-005.jpg  

2014 Mahindra Scorpio Facelift (W105). EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 7.98 lakhs-006.jpg  

Last edited by TheARUN : 27th September 2014 at 18:41.
TheARUN is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 27th September 2014, 18:50   #930
BHPian

Had a bit of time to spare so did a bit of editing (on my Galaxy Note phone) to show what I wish the Scorpio would have looked like.
Name:  20140927 18.15.50.png
Views: 23540
Size:  288.5 KB
sjcherian is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks