Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2014, 23:11   #901
BHPian

Re: 2014 Mahindra Scorpio Facelift (W105). EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 7.98 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
NEW Scorpio rear vs Storme rear.

Guys please lets have your comments on the two.
Any day the Safari Storme sir .

Storme has a understated elegance to it .

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
A storme shines in comfort, material quality and stability. Scorpio feels cramped in comparison to storme.
+100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Have you driven a 4X4 Scorpio? Specifically asking about the stability bit. Space, yes. Material quality? Spend time in both. The new one appears better. Will reserve my comments for sometime though.
Sir I have personally checked the new Scorpio it has improved a lot compared to the out going model . The fit and finish is also very good , but the quality of materials are still hard and rough to touch compared to the soft touch plastics provided in Storme .
Also the space is much better in Storme .
Plus the paint quality of Storme is much better compared to the new Scorpio .
Yes features wise the Scorpio wins hands down . but since tata with their Zest have shown they too are capable of providing good features let's keep fingers crossed and see what they bring to the table .
Old 26th September 2014, 23:20   #902
BHPian

S10 4wd is 16lacs+ Bangalore

S4 4WD is 12.60
S4 without ABS is dangerous. What say?

S6 plus is 12.96

I feel S 6 plus will sell the most.

The only way Storme can survive is by launching an LX with 4wd. Storme has ABS and all disc brakes which I feel is needed in an SUV. Lets wait and watch Tata's reaction.

Quote:
No, but is it remarkably better than 4x2 and a Safari?
I have always felt the Scorpio more agile as compared to the safari dicor. I have driven 4wd in a dicor 2.2 not the storme.

Last edited by ortho_surgeon : 26th September 2014 at 23:28.
ortho_surgeon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2014, 23:51   #903
BHPian

Guys, I have spotted a RED color one on Andheri Flyover today. But it was too risky to snap. Sorry to disappoint. I am surprised how is it on road already, I thought the bookings opened recently.
Old 27th September 2014, 00:09   #904
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ortho_surgeon View Post
S10 4wd is 16lacs+ Bangalore

S4 4WD is 12.60
S4 without ABS is dangerous. What say?

S6 plus is 12.96

I feel S 6 plus will sell the most.

The only way Storme can survive is by launching an LX with 4wd. Storme has ABS and all disc brakes which I feel is needed in an SUV. Lets wait and watch Tata's reaction.

I have always felt the Scorpio more agile as compared to the safari dicor. I have driven 4wd in a dicor 2.2 not the storme.
Mahindra has stolen a march over Tata Motors Limited in the SUV space and the gap is widening by the day. As of now, the Scorpio simply doesn't have competition in the ladder frame, 7 seat SUV category. Mahindra pulled off a fast one with the pricing of the Scorpio Facelift and this will hit TML quite hard. The only way to bounce back is by rejigging variants and painting the town red in terms of marketing, and marketing isn't exactly TML's strong suit. Over the half decade or so, Mahindra's offline activities has really built a base of M&M loyalists. TML simply lacks this so called "customer connect".

Cheers,

Jay
JayPrashanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2014, 00:33   #905
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
?.

I do have a question to all, why are we calling this as Scorpio facelift or refresh when other than a few body panels, nearly everything has changed, even the chassis is a new one with Hydroforming technology. The ride and handling is better than outgoing one. It shares the name but is it really a refresh or a whole new one?..

For not calling it as a refresh or facelift, it should be a new generation like what we see in Camry, City even though they retain some of old components. IMHO after seeing the car today, this should rightly called as facelift. The side profile and roof is almost same and felt little disappointed.
Old 27th September 2014, 00:37   #906
BANNED

2014 Mahindra Scorpio Facelift (W105). EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 7.98 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptushar View Post
Thats a good point. The website should have atleast put an "O" in those columns. Can someone who has been to the showroom OR is planning to visit the showroom please confirm this with the sales representative there. But I do hope that M&M provide this, it will surely make it far more appealing to people who value these features.

Anyone had a chance to check with the dealership regarding safety options being available across the variant lineup? Looking at the difference between S6 and S6+, it's an additional 30k, but surely worth it.

Another innocuous query to the knowledgeables here. We understand that M&M have uses hydroforming, but then that has resulted in only a 2kg decrease in weight? I thought the benefits of such a technology is primarily to make the car lighter but sturdier. It seems like a pertinent question since this being a tall SUV needed it badly to reduce the bobbing and unduly ride characteristics. I don't understand how the ride quality will be immensely improved if the CoG and the weight remains the same! (Not withstanding the wider rear track)

Last edited by methecupid : 27th September 2014 at 00:57.
Old 27th September 2014, 00:54   #907
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

The Storme when launched had TATA motors assailed for not making significant changes over the previous Safari Doctor. The Scorpio seems to have even fewer changes though the product is much better compared to earlier.

That's just an observation on how the reactions seem a bit biased to me. Both of course are significantly improved products compared to their predecessors.
ACM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2014, 01:22   #908
BHPian

I feel the new Scorpio design has been done in a hurry. If M&M can able to change the chassis, gearbox and suspension why not the two doors with a groove running till the wheel arches. The designers have done some over designs in giving more grooves every where right from the doors, front grills, alloys and rear plastic cladding near rear wind shield and windows. In Indian roads grooves tend to attract dust and is not easy to clean.
But the interiors are looking good for the price tag. A sixth gear and front facing third row seats will make it more convincing machine for long drives.

Last edited by ForeRunner : 27th September 2014 at 01:23. Reason: spelling
Old 27th September 2014, 06:24   #909
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
I considered this an advantage over the Safari, but having used the Scorpio with front facing third row for 3 plus years, I can tell you that it is better to get the side facing third row and consider the car a 5 seater as the cabin is too crammed to consider the scorpio a seen seater.
I have not intention of buying the Storme or the Scorpio and thus it really does not matter much to me. It was a general observation.

When the Storme was released, almost everyone (except some die hard Safari fans) trashed Tata Motors for not providing the front facing seats, to an extent that people (and senior BHPians no less) opined that even a front facing flat bench on the floors (similar to the Rexton) would be any day better. Safari never had front facing seats, but Scorpio did. If Scorpio has removed it (which could be a wrong assumption in the first place) and wondering why the same group of people find it logically a good thing to do.

Secondly, "aam junta" tends to associated side facing rear seats with MUVs and not SUVs. Does this then not dilute the brand value of the Scorpio. Just asking?

Thirdly, during the launch presentation a gentleman (don't recollect the name) who was talking about the improved chassis/platform indicated the Scorpio is ready to be lauched in Europe if need be, since it confirms to the safety norms there. As far as i understand, in Europe you cannot have side facing rear seats. The specific edition of the Tata Storme showcased in some event in Europe had front facing seats. Hence this doubt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
That's just an observation on how the reactions seem a bit biased to me. Both of course are significantly improved products compared to their predecessors.
+1
I was precisely getting here.
sachinayak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2014, 07:01   #910
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by methecupid View Post
Another innocuous query to the knowledgeables here. We understand that M&M have uses hydroforming, but then that has resulted in only a 2kg decrease in weight?
Hydro forming is a manufacturing technique to make chassis. It uses high pressure hydraulic systems to press a blank against a die to make the chassis in required shape. It won't help to reduce the weight of the chassis. Whatever weight reduction achieved may be due to design.
MaxTorque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2014, 08:28   #911
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Save for better braking, there are not many areas where a Storme shines. Drive or be a passenger in a 4X4 Scorpio (with captain seats) and point out areas where a Storme shines. A/C is one area.

Looks are subjective.

The 2.2 (sourced from the same AVL, Austrian company) is tuned way better in Scorpio & is refined.
Better interiors quality included, space, ride and handling, A/C performance for the passengers, more powerful engine and it even looks better. As far as I am concerned, Scorpio isn't a competition at all.

P.S. Enough off topic. Lets compare them in a thread that is meant for it.
extreme_torque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2014, 09:06   #912
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Save for better braking, there are not many areas where a Storme shines. Drive or be a passenger in a 4X4 Scorpio (with captain seats) and point out areas where a Storme shines. A/C is one area.

Looks are subjective.

The 2.2 (sourced from the same AVL, Austrian company) is tuned way better in Scorpio & is refined.
You have asked another person if he has driven the new Scorpio, have you driven the Storme at all?

If you have, it is hard to believe your statement as a non partisan one. But of course if you have a personal preference for Scorpio, I do understand your point (bias).
rrsteer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2014, 09:27   #913
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
Secondly, "aam junta" tends to associated side facing rear seats with MUVs and not SUVs. Does this then not dilute the brand value of the Scorpio. Just asking?

Thirdly, during the launch presentation a gentleman (don't recollect the name) who was talking about the improved chassis/platform indicated the Scorpio is ready to be lauched in Europe if need be, since it confirms to the safety norms there. As far as i understand, in Europe you cannot have side facing rear seats. The specific edition of the Tata Storme showcased in some event in Europe had front facing seats. Hence this doubt.
I was not aware that the side facing seats were associated with MUVs. As far as I know Ertiga, Mobilio, Innova, Enjoy, Evalia are all front facing.

Any doubt that you may have in regard to the third row of seats in Scorpio might just get cleared from the video below:

Kratos453 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2014, 09:46   #914
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
Secondly, "aam junta" tends to associated side facing rear seats with MUVs and not SUVs. Does this then not dilute the brand value of the Scorpio. Just asking?.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kratos453 View Post
Any doubt that you may have in regard to the third row of seats in Scorpio might just get cleared from the video below:
@ sachinayak - All your doubts w.r.t seating combinations would have been resolved if you'd checked the website:

2014 Mahindra Scorpio Facelift (W105). EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 7.98 lakhs-seating.jpg

"7SF" is the classic 2-3-2 (jump seats) combo. "7CC" and "8" means it's a front facing 3rd row with captain and bench seats in 2nd row respectively.

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 27th September 2014 at 09:47.
comfortablynumb is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th September 2014, 10:17   #915
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTorque View Post
Hydro forming is a manufacturing technique to make chassis. It uses high pressure hydraulic systems to press a blank against a die to make the chassis in required shape. It won't help to reduce the weight of the chassis. Whatever weight reduction achieved may be due to design.

Thanks buddy but I kind of read about it a long time back already. But it's hard to believe that they will be adopting a new 'way of manufacturing' unless the materials used previously are changed. Hence my question. Anyway so much so for that, my question was around the effect of having the same weight and height on the ride.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks