Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2015, 10:25   #496
BHPian

re: Scoop: Updated Tata Safari Storme in the offing? EDIT: Now launched

Sales training for new Storme being conducted now the changes as per SA are new double din Harman audio with steering mounted controls and steering wheel from Zest. Timing belt with 1.5 laks replacement and self adjusting clutch which will be very light and will remain so till a minimum 70000 km. Engine will be 150 ps but he wasn't sure about torque figure. No update on front facing 3rd row seats. The engine and the clutch seem to be the same as Aria so some real world testing done on actual users like me. Trust me the clutch in my Aria is a knee saver and I am no longer scared of bumper to bumper traffic .

Last edited by damodar : 14th April 2015 at 10:28.
damodar is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th April 2015, 10:53   #497
Senior - BHPian

Quite surprising that no one is wishing for a solution to this issue in the updated Storme:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ers-issue.html (Tata Safari Storme: Leaking dampers issue?)

Or is the problem not as widespread as thought earlier?

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 14th April 2015, 11:47   #498
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
The interiors of the Tata Safari Storme facelift have been spied once again. The interiors in images are believed to belong to base variant of the SUV. There are no airbags and the covered storage space above the air-conditioner vents has gone. This variant also misses out on the 2-DIN audio system that has been seen the top-of-the-line variant and the silver finish panel on the centre console. The steering wheel is similar to that of the current Storme and not the Zest-like unit seen in previous images.

Attachment 1359998/
I might sound stupid here but is that its key placed in front of the speed dials in the pic ? Seems like a flip key to me, which if true would at least justify the term facelift

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 14th April 2015 at 13:05. Reason: quote fixed
Old 14th April 2015, 12:45   #499
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storme_on_d_way View Post
I might sound stupid here but is that its key placed in front of the speed dials in the pic ? Seems like a flip key to me, which if true would at least justify the term facelift
It doesn't look like a flip key, it is the same key as is being given alongwith the current Storme. Refer the image below which has been taken from the "tata-safari-storme-official-review" thread posted by
Quote:
garyag79
at post no. 2965.

Link - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3466651
Attached Thumbnails
Scoop: Updated Tata Safari Storme in the offing? EDIT: Now launched-key-ring.jpg  

luvtandon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2015, 16:49   #500
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Quite surprising that no one is wishing for a solution to this issue in the updated Storme:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ers-issue.html (Tata Safari Storme: Leaking dampers issue?)

Or is the problem not as widespread as thought earlier?

Cheers,
Vikram
Its not a widespread issue, not many people seem to have it, I have bone dry shockers after 16000 kms, so not a generic issue as such I feel.

Taking a look at the spy shots, I failed to notice any changes in the dash/interior of the storme. The lower end dashboard looks like this, with black, beige and silver inserts.
Old 15th April 2015, 02:04   #501
Distinguished - BHPian

Why would TATA bother to have two different interior trims / bins?? Doesn't make sense from a scale perspective. Or do they think only the more expensive versions deserve a better interior?? And then, how many people will buy the top end Storme?
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2015, 07:38   #502
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Why would TATA bother to have two different interior trims / bins?? Doesn't make sense from a scale perspective. Or do they think only the more expensive versions deserve a better interior?? And then, how many people will buy the top end Storme?
If thats what they come up with, it would be the last nail on the coffin. I wonder why they are hell bent on ruining such a marvellous brand which has the charisma to stand out even after 17 years of debut. Seriously, how many brands could achieve that feat? (by the way, this dead horse actually reminds me of Safari beaten black and blue by TMIL decision makers)

Last edited by Storme_on_d_way : 15th April 2015 at 07:40.
Old 15th April 2015, 23:00   #503

I spoke to one of the Tata dealerships this afternoon. The sales rep said that training for the new Safari Storme has been conducted. He confirmed that for the top model (VX) the new features are:
1. Harman Kardon music system
2. Foldable key
3. A 'smaller and nicer' steering wheel
4. Steering-mounted music system controls
5. 150ps power
6. Black and grey interiors
7. New dashboard

Seating - he confirmed that for the VX there's no change and the two jump seats at the back remain, as does the sofa setup in the second row. In the lower end model, the jump seats are gone.

Four colours - Brown, white, black and silver.

Pricing - not specified but the guidance is that it won't change much form what it is now. However the discount of nearly Rs 50k that the current (older) model is coming with will not apply to the new one.

Timing - the first deliveries against pre-booking is supposed to be the end of May. I asked how many bookings he has, and he said 27-28.
atthewheel is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th April 2015, 02:53   #504
Senior - BHPian

Considering that the jump seats were there to get excise benefits, it is unlikely that they will remove them from any model..

The storme's steering wheel was already obstructing the speedo and tachometer meters. So why would they put a smaller did steering?

Now before people jump on me for the above statement, I am comparing it with my 2.2 Dicor, with the steering at the highest rake and seat at the lowest height setting for my height and driving position.

A test drive is required to validate.
Old 16th April 2015, 07:50   #505
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atthewheel View Post
I spoke to one of the Tata dealerships this afternoon. The sales rep said that training for the new Safari Storme has been conducted. He confirmed that for the top model (VX) the new features are:
1. Harman Kardon music system
2. Foldable key
3. A 'smaller and nicer' steering wheel
4. Steering-mounted music system controls
5. 150ps power
6. Black and grey interiors
7. New dashboard

Seating - he confirmed that for the VX there's no change and the two jump seats at the back remain, as does the sofa setup in the second row. In the lower end model, the jump seats are gone.

Four colours - Brown, white, black and silver.

Pricing - not specified but the guidance is that it won't change much form what it is now. However the discount of nearly Rs 50k that the current (older) model is coming with will not apply to the new one.

Timing - the first deliveries against pre-booking is supposed to be the end of May. I asked how many bookings he has, and he said 27-28.
Any update on air bags / 4 WD for the lower variants? Will they offer leather upholstery as was the case with VX earlier. What about an option for 6 airbags in the top end variant. What about Auto Climate Contrl, Cruise control ?

These changes are not really exceptional and the Safari wil continue to be bare bones compared to its counterparts from Mahindra and even Duster.

Not many customers go in for the VX variant. The LX and EX are out outspecced by the likes of Scorpio not to talk about the XUV 500 W6 & W4.

However, if priced appropriately it will still pull in some customers.
Old 16th April 2015, 11:23   #506
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
There could be two reasons IMO to do the above if at all it comes out to be true-

1:There could be an inventory pile up of older bins at TML end and knowing TML they might find ways to squeeze out every bit of the left overs.

2:They might do with the Storme what they did with the Aria,ie reduce the prices of LX,EX and price VX more or same in the manner of the cuurent VX.

Personally if Tata offers EX with improved engine and clutch along with a basic Harmon system as in Zest XM , and price it close to 12.5 Lacs on road, I am game for it.
Old 16th April 2015, 11:34   #507

Mixed feelings here seeing these when I got these pictures from a friend of mine. Looks like this is for entry variant without the clock.

Scoop: Updated Tata Safari Storme in the offing? EDIT: Now launched-am77iop1sasbkl6lj7hacs_nw1ndt0dqxqgmahhwekqe.jpg
Scoop: Updated Tata Safari Storme in the offing? EDIT: Now launched-aqwfcpm1lgyjgoecra11bdvgifl_gzc3xb60d7k3bvfz.jpg
Scoop: Updated Tata Safari Storme in the offing? EDIT: Now launched-ah6dnrg4vfahfyzkjxtwdi3vlfqlnjia7qj1ntqi0gz.jpg
Scoop: Updated Tata Safari Storme in the offing? EDIT: Now launched-akmpac4owynfq1ypqnz5iiufu5d2xlxe1fuqtvjeaj_2.jpg
AviG is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 16th April 2015, 12:20   #508
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviG View Post
Mixed feelings here seeing these when I got these pictures from a friend of mine. Looks like this is for entry variant without the clock.

Attachment 1361280

If it is for the entry level, then there's good news after all. The steering column shows 'airbag' on it. It can be safely assumed, that the Storme has just gotten safer. Now whether it is a dual-bag setup or just drivers' side will remain a mystery. But at the least off to a good start.

I absolutely hate the bling u silver finish to the center console. A plain piano black finish would have been so much better.

There's also chrome treatment outside the car. Hope that's not standard equipment.

The steering will definitely be good to hold, I tried the one on Zest and it was a peach. It's contoured at the right places and right angles. However, it might look a bit off on the aspect, since it will be much smaller than the surrounding of the car.

This will be a car for the Safari fanboy, without the gripe of the inferior T-badge (the more games one can charge 15L more for then same kind of a car).
methecupid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2015, 12:35   #509
BHPian

In my opinion, its unlikely to be the entry level model as I dont believe they would be giving steering audio controls on LX. Though I genuinely hope I am proven wrong on this . A progressive clutch, improved power, airbags, better dash, better pricing and absence of rattles would make storme a force to reckon with.
Storme_on_d_way is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2015, 12:48   #510
BHPian

First of all AVIG thanks for sharing these pictures.From the first pic it looks as if its waiting in the yard to be dispatched which means launch seems soon.

IMO it is the top end as per TML history and the three reasons i say so are as follows-
1:Chrome plating on the ORVMs.
2:Chrome lining/bezels on the front Fog lamps.
3:A flat lid which can be opened right above the AC controls on the top of the Dashboard.

Airbags are another indicator of it being a top end but since TML has provided Airbags on the Zest mid variant (XMS) , a possiblity of it being on the Storme mid variant cannot be ruled out.
rosaf is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks