Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2015, 11:46   #316
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 facelift revealed in spy shots EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 11.21 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp417 View Post
Even I was wondering about this. Kids have a habit of pressing each and every button, knob, lever visible. It's not only your kid however every kid would do that

What would happen if the start/stop button is pressed when the car is moving? Can someone please share mode details?
Atleast in other cars some pedal (e.g. clutch pedal) needs to be pressed for the button to work.
Old 28th May 2015, 11:58   #317
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 facelift revealed in spy shots EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 11.21 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by adentist View Post
Atleast in other cars some pedal (e.g. clutch pedal) needs to be pressed for the button to work.
It's the same in XUV as well. First press will be to switch on the accessories and then pressing the button with clutch depressed will start the engine.

So even if it is pressed with the engine on, I suppose it should not be an issue.
Old 28th May 2015, 12:09   #318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentalmaxout View Post
A quick question,
1. With the new start button push positioning, am scared its within easy access of kids sitting in front seats when I am driving. As most kids have the habit of pushing random buttons on the dashboard ( or is it just my kid?). Will this lead to the car shutting the engine if I am driving and the brat pushes the stop button?
This is my worry too. If they could not manage to get the start/stop button in the right place, it would have been better not to provide it at all. This looks like a serious afterthought.
Old 28th May 2015, 12:20   #319
Senior - BHPian

Kids must not be jumping around in the front seat while the car is moving - this is for the kids' safety sake.
If a child is sitting belted up in the front seat, then he/she should be old enough to know not to press that button (or listen and understand when told not to).
Any younger - kid really should be in the back.

BUT, this is India, and we let kids run amok in general. So I guess Mahindra's stance would be "Your kids, your car, your problem".
KiloAlpha is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th May 2015, 12:27   #320
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by adentist View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
It's the same in XUV as well. First press will be to switch on the accessories and then pressing the button with clutch depressed will start the engine.

So even if it is pressed with the engine on, I suppose it should not be an issue.
While starting the engine, a foot on the clutch and a long press is understood. But what are the specific pre-conditions for the engine-stop scenario? Can't be just clutch pressed as the clutch gets pressed many times during normal driving. May be the car needs to be at stand-still before you press the engine-stop button?
May be people currently having cars with engine start/stop button can throw some light.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2015, 12:29   #321
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
Kids must not be jumping around in the front seat while the car is moving - this is for the kids' safety sake.
If a child is sitting belted up in the front seat, then he/she should be old enough to know not to press that button (or listen and understand when told not to).Any younger - kid really should be in the back.
A truly utopian thought - Young brats always tend to mock drive a car and try fiddling with buttons. Try telling kids that they should sit in the back

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentalmaxout
2. With the chrome steel strip lining the windows, will it be prone to getting "chatkas" when one rolls down windows and puts an arm outside in the peak of summer? ( bare skin on hot chrome steel)

Anyone can please let me know?
Any idea about this ?

Last edited by ampere : 28th May 2015 at 12:38. Reason: Back to back posts
Old 28th May 2015, 12:30   #322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
this is India, and we let kids run amok in general. So I guess Mahindra's stance would be "Your kids, your car, your problem".
It is high time we apply strict rules with regards to using car seats for kids. Although a car company must design vehicles that cater to the buyer's demands and expectations its silly to be expecting them to cater to our foolishness. Kids must not be in the front seat. No two ways about it. Sadly our rules are strict when it comes to sunfilms but no so much with regards to child safety.
chittybang is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th May 2015, 12:45   #323
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
But what are the specific pre-conditions for the engine-stop scenario? Can't be just clutch pressed as the clutch gets pressed many times during normal driving.
Saw a short review of new XUV online, I am not able to recollect the channel. Guess it was NDTV or Overdrive, in that the conditions for switching ON / OFF are mentioned this way -

ON - Clutch + Start Stop button.
OFF - Just press Start Stop button.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2015, 12:56   #324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Saw a short review of new XUV online, I am not able to recollect the channel. Guess it was NDTV or Overdrive, in that the conditions for switching ON / OFF are mentioned this way -

Hey Ram !! If the engine will shut down only by pressing the STOP button, i shudder to think what will happen if someone presses it while driving
Old 28th May 2015, 13:17   #325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post

I think there will be more checks in place for sure. To correlate an example, if you read Mahindra's user guide for start-stop feature (micro-hybrid!) you will see a serious check list as pre-conditions. I am attaching a picture which shows the detailed check list.

Mahindra XUV500 facelift revealed in spy shots EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 11.21 lakh-microhybrid.jpg
As you may see, the conditions are exhaustive enough! Thus I think that basic check to read the speed before killing the engine would be there. Off course in the "short review", they would not have tried to press it while driving.
purohitanuj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2015, 13:23   #326
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A truly utopian thought - Young brats always tend to mock drive a car and try fiddling with buttons. Try telling kids that they should sit in the back
It is not an utopian thought, but a necessity. I did teach my kid about why she has to sit back and why she needs to belt-up. Many times, until she understood it is 'safety'. And now, it is business as usual. Kids will be kids. It's our responsibility to ensure their safety.

Edit: my daughter is now nearly 4. She sits in the front seat as well. She refused a Booster seat, but she always belts-up. She knows she should. No two ways about it.

And it is not only me. I know many colleagues who drive with their kids this way.

It's not utopian. Make the effort to make it happen.

Last edited by k_ajay : 28th May 2015 at 13:27.
k_ajay is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th May 2015, 13:27   #327
BHPian

Speed = 0 kmph and accelerator & clutch not engaged are two checks for "start/stop" toggle button to "stop" a running engine. So, people with jumpy kids need not worry.

Cheers,
Sid
sid1509 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th May 2015, 13:29   #328
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Ram !! If the engine will shut down only by pressing the STOP button, i shudder to think what will happen if someone presses it while driving
Good Question . I believe the car has to be stationary for the STOP button to switch off the engine. Folks having cars with START/STOP button can let us know this better.
Old 28th May 2015, 13:57   #329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid1509 View Post
Speed = 0 kmph and accelerator & clutch not engaged are two checks for "start/stop" toggle button to "stop" a running engine. So, people with jumpy kids need not worry.

Cheers,
Sid
Many cars have their start stop buttons in the central console guys... It is not a weird thing! Look -

Mahindra XUV500 facelift revealed in spy shots EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 11.21 lakh-2014_huracan_lp610_43.jpg
Mahindra XUV500 facelift revealed in spy shots EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 11.21 lakh-2014_huracan_lp610_41.jpg
Mahindra XUV500 facelift revealed in spy shots EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 11.21 lakh-velosterhyundaidashboardviewautomotivereviews140454.jpg

There are generally a lot of pre-requisites for this to work. People always have a lot of apprehensions when it comes to Mahindra's products. I saw this same kind of apprehension when Mahindra launched Cruise control and that Micro Hybrid feature in the Scorpio.

Secondly, if kids have to play, it need not be the engine start stop button only -
  • What if they pull the handbrake while the car is moving?
  • What if they push the gear lever while the car is moving (especially for A/T)?
  • What is they open the door?
Kids are not supposed to be in the front seat. Depending on their age, they are supposed to be in the rear seat with child lock & window lock activated.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 28th May 2015 at 14:01.
raj_5004 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 28th May 2015, 14:42   #330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post

Edit: my daughter is now nearly 4. She sits in the front seat as well. She refused a Booster seat, but she always belts-up. She knows she should. No two ways about it.
Sorry for OT but I could not help. If your car has airbags, kids should not occupy the front seat.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks