Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2018, 00:49   #331
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselAddikt View Post

Where is the preview? The embargo has been lifted at 01:00 AM, right?
Get your time zones correct. Still a few minutes to go

And the first reviews start pouring in:

Autocar India written review
https://www.autocarindia.com/car-rev...t-drive-410247

Quote:
The JTP is a car for enthusiasts by enthusiasts. It's not perfect but there's a certain character to the Tiago JTP that makes it very endearing. It's the sort of car that you'd buy because you love to drive. Tata Motors wants to 'de-comodotise' cars and car buying with the JTP and its succeeded to a large extent by bringing back emotion into the product and experience.

All said, for the keen driver on a budget, the Tiago JTP is one of the best options out there.
Another positive write up:

https://www.carwale.com/tata-cars/ti...-drive-review/

Quote:
But, the Tiago JTP is significantly cheaper. And to be honest, you are essentially getting the same thrills but at a more sensible price point. So, when it comes to the price to performance bang-for-your-buck equation, the Tiago JTP certainly takes the cake. And, not just over the Tigor JTP, mind.
But they are complaining a bit about the brakes.

Another by Overdrive Magazine

http://overdrive.in/reviews/2018-tat...-drive-review/

Quote:
These cars were genuinely fun to be around. They were fun to drive hard and were also easy and comfortable to potter around in when you just wanted to relax a bit. Most of the new changes are thoughtful and make the cars better.
Another by financial express

https://www.financialexpress.com/aut...-cars/1362854/

Overall seems like a good enthusiast car though the ARAI 16.xx kmpl seems a bit low.

To the mods:Please merge back to back posts

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 27th October 2018 at 06:35. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Thanks.
agambhandari is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 27th October 2018, 02:20   #332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
Overall seems like a good enthusiast car though the ARAI 16.xx kmpl seems a bit low.

To the mods:Please merge back to back posts
Looks like a really competent product and the biggest complaint I had against the two were the lackluster petrol engines. I feel along with the figo and freestyle diesel these are the only vfm fun to drive cars around. Looking at the diesel vs petrol situation for us in NCR I do feel these petrol performance cars have got great potential even with that low FE figure. Considering the number of posts by you in this thread am sensing we might see the spark getting replaced by the Tiago in the new year. The hatch seems to be perfect for our kind of usage. Seems odd recommending a Tata to an enthusiast but it just goes to show how far the brand has come in the past few years.
ToyotaFan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th October 2018, 02:34   #333
BANNED

Re: The Tata Tigor JTP & Tiago JTP. EDIT: Launched at Rs 6.39 - 7.49 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan View Post
Looks like a really competent product and the biggest complaint I had against the two were the lackluster petrol engines. I feel along with the figo and freestyle diesel these are the only vfm fun to drive cars around. Looking at the diesel vs petrol situation for us in NCR I do feel these petrol performance cars have got great potential even with that low FE figure. Considering the number of posts by you in this thread am sensing we might see the spark getting replaced by the Tiago in the new year. The hatch seems to be perfect for our kind of usage. Seems odd recommending a Tata to an enthusiast but it just goes to show how far the brand has come in the past few years.
I get 11-12 with spark in the city and have no issues given my minimal usage. I have no use for a diesel and sadly freestyle looked like the only "hot" offering in the space.

Picking Tata wouldn't be by these cars alone, more to do with the rest of the options that clearly lack in terms of performance and feel. They are the only ones with the guts to go all in with an affordable option.

And yes, just need an Ophtha seat and bingo, I'll most likely book the JTP

Last edited by agambhandari : 27th October 2018 at 02:36.
agambhandari is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th October 2018, 04:19   #334
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Comparisons like this killed the Punto Abarth (Or whatever was left out if from the company owns suicide!). JTP is on the same route, eventually! No offence, just a market reality. Indians cry for hot hatches, and when hot products are launched, we compare them with family sedans.
Absolutely not. Fiat killed the Abarth Punto. Punto wasn't selling well already and it would be incredibly obtuse to think that a million rupee performance hatchback (fuel inefficient mind you) would have resurrected the fortunes.

Tiago is a completely different kettle of fish. Its a bonafide hit for Tata Motors which by the way also have more brand trust (Fiat may shut shop in India but Tata?) and is the performance variant of a fairly affordable car to start with. The performance variants are never meant to do volumes even outside India. Polo GTi's and Golf GTi's do a fraction of volumes the regular variants do. Apart from volumes, the value of performance variants lies in creating a halo around the brand which also rubs on to the volume products.
The best thing that Tiago has going for it is the price - unlike the other performance variants this one is priced sensibly. At around a lakh more than the regular variant but with more features, body kit, a re-tuned suspension, re-tuned gear ratios, which also tells you that this is not a half-a$ed job and a much more powerful engine is great value. It looks great too.

Last edited by extreme_torque : 27th October 2018 at 04:39.
extreme_torque is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 27th October 2018, 05:10   #335
Senior - BHPian

Pretty good review by Motoroids

Last edited by Latheesh : 27th October 2018 at 05:37.
Latheesh is online now   (19) Thanks
Old 27th October 2018, 06:05   #336
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
[]
When the guy says he really wished he didn't have to do the review right now while driving the car, it clearly means how much fun the car was actually

Poor fella, just wanted to drive it happily but also forced to talk to the camera.
PrasannaDhana is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 27th October 2018, 06:25   #337
Senior - BHPian

Another one by CarToqVideos

Mods: please merge it with my previous post
Latheesh is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 27th October 2018, 06:54   #338
BHPian

Quote:
Excellent review, I would say. I like the last couple of mins of concluding speech
Old 27th October 2018, 08:44   #339
Senior - BHPian

While FE might not matter to some buyers, low quoted mileage and 35 Litres of tank capacity means very frequent fuel stops!

Another practical problem my Tigor has is its HUGE turning radius, with up-sized tyres, would be interesting to see if has increased. Normal Tiago with 185 section was mentioned to be scraping, hence my concern.

Overall, a good no nonsense performance car for the weekend, seems to be good enough to be daily driven too! Nothing too hardcore but performance too seems to be there.

Even if I had all the money in the world, cars like JTP Tiago will be more fun to drive on Indian roads than something exotic, I will not have no worry about anything at all and just trash it as much as I wish.

Expecting to see few on trackdays!

P.S: Seatbelts should have been red IMO

Last edited by giri1.8 : 27th October 2018 at 08:47.
giri1.8 is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 27th October 2018, 09:48   #340
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
[]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
When the guy says he really wished he didn't have to do the review right now while driving the car, it clearly means how much fun the car was actually

Poor fella, just wanted to drive it happily but also forced to talk to the camera.
+1 to that. The expression on his face says it all. And at times he just stops talking and keeps smiling while revving the Tiago

Lovely looking cars which are actual sports variants unlike the other market leaders' stickering contraptions.

Excellent job done by Jayem and Tata. Guess we should give due credit to Jayem as well. Has tata mentioned any expected numbers for these variants? I hope they succeed in the market and we get to see this brand (JTP) churn out many more such products.

Last edited by SoumenD : 27th October 2018 at 09:50.
SoumenD is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th October 2018, 10:31   #341
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JishD View Post
You'll be amazed how you can play around with financial structures...you can work with your bank to have similar EMI structure to Tigor and have a balloon payment at the end of three years. Sell the car then and the differential in depreciation will have cancelled itself. Upto 25% of the principal can be paid at the end of the loan tenure.
Could you please elaborate on this and explain the benefit vs the normal loan.
Old 27th October 2018, 10:58   #342
BANNED

In Delhi NCR, none of the dealers have any information on the car or its availability for display or Test drive. Is it any better in other cities?

EDIT:An SA from one place called back to tell that the TD cars are expected by 15th next month.

Last edited by agambhandari : 27th October 2018 at 11:16.
Old 27th October 2018, 10:58   #343
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Comparisons like this killed the Punto Abarth (Or whatever was left out if from the company owns suicide!). JTP is on the same route, eventually! No offence, just a market reality. Indians cry for hot hatches, and when hot products are launched, we compare them with family sedans.

While we wait for confirmation from our official reviews, the first impressions coming from media sources point to the JTP being a well rounded fun car - and not just a family offering with a slightly bigger power output.
The hot hatch is traditionally a more entertaining version of the regular car. It helps if the regular car is a best seller . We haven't really had proper hot hatch variants of successful hatches. (Maruti and Hyundai, this statement is aimed at you). The Polo, though it can't be called a success in India, has sold in decent numbers over it's long stint in the Indian market. And the GT TSI's dual character of being a hot (or warm if you like) hatch and comfort and ease of driving has been instrumental in helping it sell in decent numbers.

The Tiago JTP is very good news for the enthusiast. It sits in an entirely new price point and I will be very interested to see how it fares. I just hope it does decent numbers and exceed Tata's targets which also, I hope is realistic.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 27th October 2018 at 11:08.
Santoshbhat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2018, 11:08   #344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
The Tiago JTP is very good news for the enthusiast. It sits in an entirely new price point and I will be very interested to see how it fares.
You made a good point here. Even Ford can come out with a manual Sport variant of its Freestyle and Aspire by plonking that 1.5L NA Dragon engine and some changes to the interior and exterior, and that will surely be a hoot to drive as well; but it will be at least 50-70k more expensive than the corresponding JTP Tiago or Tigor. So the pricing of the JTP twins might be one of their biggest USPs.
Old 27th October 2018, 11:13   #345
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
The engine power figures posted by TATA do not add up.
If the engine has to make 114 PS/112.44 BHP @ 5000 RPM, it has to have around 160 Nm at that speed. However, Tata says 150 Nm ends at 4000 RPM.
I still see reviews posting these numbers. However the tata link does not provide any information on the RPM for the power & torque figures. The only logical way for this to make sense, is if peak power is at ~5500 instead of 5000.

Last edited by oxyzen : 27th October 2018 at 11:22.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks