Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2017, 19:23   #256
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
The price difference between the Tucson & Tigual CL is apprx. INR 2-3L.

The price difference between the Tiguan CL & X1 Baseline (similar feature set, size, etc.) would be apprx. INR 6-8L so there shouldn't be an overlap at all unless someone has very flexible pockets.

The Q3 & GLA are a size smaller, so it's like comparing the Camry/Superb to the A4 & C Class.

But yes, between the Tiguan HL & X1 Base - there will definitely be an overlap as mentioned in a few places on this thread.
The Comfortline is exactly midway between Tuscon GL AT and BMW X1 S20D Expedition. Upgrading from Tiguan to BMW is similar as Tuscon to Tiguan. I am not considering the discounts that are being offered on BMW. Come year end, I would not be surprised if you get your hands on X1 expedition at same price as Tiguan Comfortline.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2017, 19:35   #257
BHPian

I was all excited about the car, till I heard the confirmed price. I know this has been mentioned innumerable times, but I completely agree with the general consensus that it's a bit on the higher side.

But having said that, I guess VW is in a unique position because the brands they own have quite a few cars in similar and overlapping categories. Ensuring that the premium Audi, mid-level VW and slightly lower Skoda are priced with sufficient differentiation with each other, while being competitive with regard to their immediate segment competitors, will be quite a challenge. Lucky they don't have Seat in India yet :-D

With regard to the Tiguan, in the Highline's features list, they mention - easy open tailgate with delayed closing function. I have not seen the car, so though I'll check on the forum what this was. Is it that the tailgate on the variant is a powered one (i.e., close on the touch of a button?) or is it just some marketing language.

Last edited by Rehaan : 26th May 2017 at 17:35. Reason: 2 smileys per post max, as per the rules.
Old 25th May 2017, 19:58   #258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manualManuel View Post
I was all excited about the car, till I heard the confirmed price. I know this has been mentioned innumerable times, but I completely agree with the general consensus that it's a bit on the higher side.

But having said that, I guess VW is in a unique position because the brands they own have quite a few cars in similar and overlapping categories. Ensuring that the premium Audi, mid-level VW and slightly lower Skoda are priced with sufficient differentiation with each other, while being competitive with regard to their immediate segment competitors, will be quite a challenge. Lucky they don't have Seat in India yet

With regard to the Tiguan, in the Highline's features list, they mention - easy open tailgate with delayed closing function. I have not seen the car, so though I'll check on the forum what this was. Is it that the tailgate on the variant is a powered one (i.e., close on the touch of a button?) or is it just some marketing language.
Easy open tailgate means you just wave your foot under the rear bumper and it starts opening. For delayed close, you press the button and after a small delay it starts closing.
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2017, 21:23   #259
BHPian

I somehow feel that Tiguan is a neither here nor there kind of car. Its perceived reliability is going to be average, it isn't going to be fast enough to compete with similarly priced cars on a highway, its turning radius isn't very city friendly and VW service experience could be a hit or a miss. It might carve out a niche market with understated looks, just about adequate performance, decent handing and ride quality at this price point but may not be a successful model.

Last edited by ece2k2 : 25th May 2017 at 21:25.
ece2k2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2017, 21:45   #260
Distinguished - BHPian

Price list in Chennai. Truly exorbitant in my opinion - 38.46 lacs on road. Does not include extended warranty or zero depreciation insurance. If you add those, you are looking at nearly 40 lacs on-road.

The only hope now is that this is a GST strategy and they will drop the price by 10% post July 1 to pass on benefits - which are expected to be close to 10% reduction in taxes for SUVs.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs-img20170525wa0000.jpg  

84.monsoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2017, 22:18   #261
BHPian

At these prices, I will happily settle for Tuscon's AWD version due for launch this year, which is rumored to have the panoramic sunroof too.

As much as I love Tiguan's clean lines, they are trying to punch above their weight. They are no Cinderella Man
Old 25th May 2017, 22:36   #262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Price list in Chennai. Truly exorbitant in my opinion - 38.46 lacs on road. Does not include extended warranty or zero depreciation insurance. If you add those, you are looking at nearly 40 lacs on-road.
I happened to be at a VW 10years celebration and saw this car. Thought they would target it at the compact SUV segment and typically price it exorbitantly at about 16lac or so. They have been way over the top with this one.

Whichever way you look at it, one thing is for sure. The Indian buyer is never going to be able to digest this pricing for the Tiguan. The valuation just does not fit and there are numerous better and more sensible options ready.
Old 25th May 2017, 22:51   #263
Senior - BHPian

For this price, we should have gotten the 2.0 TDI with 190 PS. They have it in the UK and the spec is wonderful.
  • 7 speed DSG with 4MOTION
  • 190 PS at 3500 rpm
  • 400 Nm at 3300 rpm
  • 0-100 7.92 seconds

Are they worried about Q3?? They need to look at MSIL on how they successfully cannibalize their own products without leaving a share of the pie to competitors.

VW just gave in to Hyundai here to get away with the Tucson. And Hyundai is getting incredibly lucky off late.

Launch a desirable product low on spec, high on price and the competition bails them out by pricing their model higher. This is Creta vs. S-Cross 1.6 being played out in the higher segment. Will be interesting to watch the sales numbers of Tiguan and Tucson.
deetjohn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th May 2017, 23:01   #264
Team-BHP Support

Both BMW & Mercedes have dropped their prices officially and these will be now close to post-GST MRP. I believe this is being done to support Dealers to sell stocks/in-transit inventories. If someone does want to spend 3 Million rupees in this segment, X1 does present as a strong contender. With better service experience as well availability of service packages besides snob value of BMW it can be cheaper in longer run and most importantly we will be 100 % sure that we get exactly same power as mentioned at time of sales, with VW who knows if they have some new code somewhere

Last edited by Turbanator : 25th May 2017 at 23:03.
Turbanator is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2017, 23:15   #265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Out here in the junglee south eastern suburbs of Bendakallooru ( Boiled Beans Land) Bangalore, I also bought my Top Spec Yeti in 2011 - this Yeti has more or less all the stuff the Tiguan gives us. And yes, I too paid 19.5/-.

The prices of cars in the last 5-6 years have risen ridiculously indeed, so as to cause literally one's eyes to water copiously.

Me, Im stickin' to me 6 year old car for a few more years at least! No way I am buying a new one now with these evil prices!

Do you own an Euro brand?
I do.
And I have owned it for 6 years now almost.
I completely disagree with what you say except for depreciation.
High price is an individual and subjective perception. You buy what you can afford. Thats flat.
Yes I paid 19.5 lac for the vehicle in 2011.
You should see how the vehicle has held up in 6 years, both inside and outside.
I dont think a Creta, for example, which costs about as much now, would hold up as well. And a Creta is nowhere close to a Yeti. Sorry.
It typically costs around 20K for the annual Yeti service.
Thats comparable with most other vehicles of its type - especially if you maintain your vehicles properly and go only to Authorised Service Centres.
You say 'poor maintenance'. I disagree. From personal experience.
Basically on this Forum, it has become fashionable for lots of people, mostly non owners, to bash the Euro manufacturers without proper justification. I am merely counter balancing this with my experience.
I love European cars for what they offer - the build, the drive, the quality (not always, though). I did like Vento when I picked S-cross.

a. I don't own European brands but folks in my circle own.
b. Yeti was a great product at the time - I strongly recommended it to one of my friends in 2010 who was comparing XUV and Yeti. He picked it. Fantastic product but will you buy it at 30L? Compare that to Indian success stories like XUV. Where has price moved?
c. I have every single service of my Jap and Indian car done at service center. Every single part replaced at slightest recommendation of service advisor. Tyres changed religiously at 35-40k. Even my car care products were imported from USA till Meguiar became available in India. I love my cars and take excellent care, mostly. And Maruti service is fairly expensive. Esp if one chooses the best oil option, which I have done forever even in WagonR I had. Euro services cost is not just the cost out of wallet but also cost of time wasted in waiting for parts and making rounds of workshops. Super inflated bills for normal repairs are the norm - have experienced it first hand.
d. Bashing is fashionable against Indian brands too - I had a 120k pretty flawless ownership of Tata Manza Aura+ Diesel. I will disagree with that bashing. People bash Ford for expensive service while it is among cheapest to maintain. My brother's Endeavor taught me that.
e. Justification is littered all across this forum and independent garages. Heck, even in Skoda and VW garages.

Counter balancing is good. Getting sarcastic is not. Love cars, live cars. Love people more, one lives with them.

Last edited by 5kmiles : 25th May 2017 at 23:19.
5kmiles is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 25th May 2017, 23:41   #266
BHPian

Boring car, interesting car, good looking, bad looking.. all these things are more of personal opinion.. I personally am sure the car will be a prize to drive around and own.. I just hope it doesn't bring with it the typical nags like all previous cars from the VW stable. Be it VW, Skoda or Audi. All have had their fair share of problems and well deserved bashing & I'm tired of it.. I wonder when the day will come when we get to drive these superb European cars with the superb Japanese reliability.. Sometimes it just feels like one big conspiracy. I mean, after all if these cars start offering the reliability like some of the Japanese brands, who will really buy any Japanese car at all. No matter what people say or think, apart from unwavering reliability, what have the Japanese cars got that's actually better than the European counterparts?

I just feel, all these discussions related to good engine power, sunroof, no sunroof, all wheel drive, super slick DSG, the almighty German engineering goes down the gutter the moment the car gets suddenly stranded on the road, for some reason the sunroof motor goes kaput, some fuel injector develops a leak.. all these are just the few problems in the list, and they ruin the wet dream for some and real life ownership experience of others.

Lastly, dont get me wrong, I always fall in love at first sight with VW Cars (except the Ameo), but I'm sure after the first thread about the awesomeness of this or any other European car, the threads will follow a downward trend dedicated to the unending problems these cars tend to develop. I know this has gone a little OT, but its just because as much as I look forward to new cars from VW, I also keep fearing the nightmares the buyers, especially the first buyers are gonna go through.
Racer911 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th May 2017, 01:16   #267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
For this price, we should have gotten the 2.0 TDI with 190 PS. They have it in the UK and the spec is wonderful.
  • 7 speed DSG with 4MOTION
  • 190 PS at 3500 rpm
  • 400 Nm at 3300 rpm
  • 0-100 7.92 seconds

Are they worried about Q3??
When translated to BS4 spec fuel, we should have got the 177PS tune of the 2.0TDI (similiar to Superb 2.0 TDI, 177PS in India vs 190PS in EU6 spec). There are no major changes in the core engine internals between the two states of tune of the EA288 2.0TDI (which is there in all MQB cars) and hence there wouldn't be major cost implications either. Bringing in the lower engine-spec is only to keep Q3 relevant. It also has to be noted that the higher state of tune for Q3 2.0TDI is present only in its top-spec quattro variant.

I don't see why someone should pick a Q3 2.0TDI over the Tiguan now (except for snob value). A simple remap can take the Tiguan to 190PS+, and this time the transmission + awd layout will ensure that the power is put down efficiently. The Q3 is from an older platform, essentially based on previous generation of the Tiguan. VW group would try their best to hide this, as was evident from their competition benchmarking (only X1 & GLA).

Last edited by avinash_clt : 26th May 2017 at 01:18.
avinash_clt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2017, 06:05   #268
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kmiles View Post
I love European cars for what they offer - the build, the drive, the quality (not always, though). I did like Vento when I picked S-Cross.
b. Yeti was a great product at the time - I strongly recommended it to one of my friends in 2010 who was comparing XUV and Yeti. He picked it. Fantastic product but will you buy it at 30L? Compare that to Indian success stories like XUV. Where has price moved?

Counter balancing is good. Getting sarcastic is not. Love cars, live cars. Love people more, one lives with them.

1. Glad you have an S Cross. If I didnt have a Yeti, thats the car I love next best in that price range.
2. I was one of the first 'customer-testers' of XUV in 2011 before launch. I had shared several sheets of feedback with M&M, some of which they took on board at the time.
3. All cars seem to have become prohibitively expensive. Just look at Honda City - priced at 17 lacs in Bangalore!
4. The Yeti at the 19.5L I paid was great value, compared to now. I would not pay 30 L for the new Yeti which has lost character and become middle of the road and mainstream now in design, while still a super capable car.
5. Sarcasm? There is no sarcasm. At least none intended. I am merely sharing my experience and countering the perpetual, mindless bashing of Skoda and VW on this Forum.
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th May 2017, 07:41   #269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_clt View Post
I don't see why someone should pick a Q3 2.0TDI over the Tiguan now (except for snob value).
Yes, it makes total sense if one is inclined to pick the Q3 front wheel drive. But the Quattro with more power in its stock form and a better transmission is not that easy to ignore.

How much different will the Torsen in the Quattro feel to the Haldex in 4Motion while driving? I am not asking about their performance off-road. But say for highway runs in Kerala especially during the monsoon. Which one will be more fun? Which one would be more assured and faster? Is it a slam-dunk for the Quattro?

PS: I guess you are well placed to answer this question with that monster 3.6 FSI 4x4 in the garage.
Old 26th May 2017, 07:58   #270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kmiles View Post
When Indian manufacturers enter these segments. All Tata and Mahindra products are reasonably priced for what they offer. People don't figure out the 'real impact' of extra EMIs when they just look at it as paying few extra Ks every month and also discounting extra maintenance costs of most European brands. Toyota prices high but is very very cost effective to maintain. When VW/Skoda prices it high, it is triple whammy - high price, high (and poor) maintenance, high depreciation.
I am sorry but I feel Indian manufacturers aren't helping things despite decades of protection.

Take the example of the Mahindra Thar. An ageing architecture, crude finishing, only some 105 bhp, only one year warranty (seems the company doesn't trust its own offering) at 10 plus lakhs in Mumbai on road.

Compare that to the Jeep Wrangler, a more modern engine and tech (compared to the Thar of course), better quality of design and finish, 285 bhp. At roughly an equivalent of Rs 16 lakhs in the US (with US income making it sound cheaper).

The Mahindra XUV (I have driven by brother's, it's also kind of not very polished), is roughly equivalent of USD 24400 for the top of the line model ex-showroom (140 bhp). For a similar price, one can get the entry level Kia Sorento which also offers 185 bhp. Better finish too. And US income makes it sound much cheaper.

I think since imports are so expensive, Indian manufacturers have jacked their prices up. These products should either offer more or be cheaper still.

Having said that, I still can't wonder why VW has priced Tiguan at 38 lakhs on road Mumbai. Internationally the Honda CRV is in a similar space as Tigaun and their price difference isn't that much. In India the top of the line CRV 2.4 litre is 33 lakhs on road.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks