Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2017, 10:32   #1231
BHPian

Re: The 2017 Ford EcoSport Facelift caught testing in India. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 7.31 lakhs

I saw a brand new lightening blue Ecosport in my housing complex today and it looked stunning. The front fascia has a character to it and the blue just sparkles. It might not have the road presence of Scross/ Captur/ Creta but it is a head-turner nonetheless.
Nonstop-driver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2017, 12:32   #1232
Senior - BHPian

Re: The 2017 Ford EcoSport Facelift caught testing in India. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 7.31 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
I had commented earlier that this new model is a "heart lift" than a facelift considering the vast number of changes it accompanied. But one thing I didn't consider was, Ecosport was launched in international markets in 2012 and in India in 2013. So, this is almost the time for a complete model change. Usually, for a complete model change, companies surely change the body shell and dashboard, add features, and may / may not change the engines - be it City, Swift, Wagon-R, Alto, Verna or Innova. Now, looking at this new Ecosport, Ford has changed the dashboard, changed one engine, added features, but retained the body shell. And now we can't expect a new Ecosport in another 3-4 years. So this is actually a cost-cutting by Ford. No problem in that though, as long as people buy it as per Ford's expectation.
The SUV's generally enjoy a longer shelf life. The Duster is already 5+ years old in India and we wont see the new Duster until end of 2018. The traditional SUV's run for anything like 8-10 years(Fortuner,Endeavour, Pajero,ML/GLE). Again some of the sedans/hatch also have longer(Polo is in its 8th year in India). Don't see how its cost cutting. An all new model is considered in below scenarios:
1. The competition has upped the game.
2. Unable to meet norms in current avatar.
3.Tapering sales.

Ecosport is unfazed by above and none of the competition has proved to be significantly better than Ecosport as yet.
PrideRed is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 21st November 2017, 12:38   #1233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonstop-driver View Post
I saw a brand new lightening blue Ecosport in my housing complex today and it looked stunning. The front fascia has a character to it and the blue just sparkles. It might not have the road presence of Scross/ Captur/ Creta but it is a head-turner nonetheless.
Scross has a road presence? Really? To me, it neither looks like a mini-SUV nor a cross-over. Front has vastly improved over the previous gen but move to side and back and it is still unmistakably a big hatchback.
pgsagar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st November 2017, 16:14   #1234
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
You can see that he owns a Ecosport AT, Is he tempted to go for new Ecosport AT? No. I think that is what he was trying convey.
Exactly: 100% as you said it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aryayush View Post

As for the interiors and mechanicals, which is what matter most, Ford has updated just about everything about it, including the steering wheel, dashboard, ICE, instrument cluster, seats, boot, the engine, transmission, suspension, etc., while adding a bunch of new and useful features.

I don't know about you but I'm getting my money's worth. If you can recommend a better petrol automatic SUV for my money, I'd be happy to consider it, but I know you can't.
I think you did not get my point. It was exactly as conveyed my Latheesh

Do also note that this time round they have put in a CHEAPER to manufacture but INFERIOR AT box so while the transmission is updated the reason for that is to supply the car at a better price point not because the new one is better. We all know that DCT (read VW Group like Dual Clutch systems) are better and offer faster shifts. For those who are focussed on driving pleasure (The main reason to buy the Ecosport over the Nexon right now (Besides 6 airbags in top model) is the AT box, even when Nexon has it, it will be an AMT. But if TATA does indeed come up with a Torque Convertor type AT on the Nexon then the Ecosport is a harder sell.

I did buy the first AT EcoSport in Thane in Aug 2013 and that was for me a transition from a combination of the ARIA 4x4 Pride and Laura L&K DSG AT. I wanted a DCT AT Box, high water wading depth, lots of features and high ground clearance. Of these the EcoSport now loosed the DCT box and the other competitors do have the rest. That said I would be the first to acknowledge that the 2013-2017 EcoSport DCT Transmission is not really that great in the first place compared to what you get on the VW Polo for example. Transmission (AT Box type is important to certain persons and I am one of them, currently also have the benefit of the 8 Speed ZF BMW Box on my other vehicle. EcoSport gave something wonderful at the price point in 2013 and then have take one of those things away now.)

Another point to add is that the pervious gen EcoSport suffered from a very harsh ride and I have to add wider tyres with same aspect ration as well as a Roger suspension to compensate for this. The New one has a better suspension but they have give up on the gains by going in for 17" rims from 16" rims and this will result in a harsh ride (relative to a new one with 16" rims) again at the cost of looks. Retaining 16" rims would have been better.

Make no mistake the new EcoSport is a great vehicle, but it was much more ahead of the competition in 2013 in many ways, now it is just slightly ahead in a few ways and this will show in the numbers over a period of time.

I of course was checking this out from the perspective of buying the new one to replace my current EcoSport and the decision for that is negative but this still is a great vehicle to buy.

I did customize my Ecosport a fair bit so that makes the change even tougher.

Have used Genuine Leather and also made the front seats 2.5" Longer and all seats 1.5" wider.

This of course could be done on the new EcoSport AT as well. Before some one asks, I got it done at Orchis Powai.
Attached Thumbnails
The 2017 Ford EcoSport Facelift caught testing in India. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 7.31 lakhs-front-new-look.jpg  

The 2017 Ford EcoSport Facelift caught testing in India. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 7.31 lakhs-front-panaromic-new-look.jpg  

The 2017 Ford EcoSport Facelift caught testing in India. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 7.31 lakhs-rear-new-look.jpg  

The 2017 Ford EcoSport Facelift caught testing in India. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 7.31 lakhs-larger-base-front-sides.jpg  

The 2017 Ford EcoSport Facelift caught testing in India. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 7.31 lakhs-seat-front-metal-extended.jpg  

ACM is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 21st November 2017, 18:46   #1235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Before some one asks, I got it done at Orchis Powai.
Yours is the most important post for me on this thread! I like the Ecosport and considering it as an upgrade to my current ride Figo. But the thought of all black interiors is holding me back. It feels claustrophobic. I'd have preferred light colors to get that airy feel. I mean not just on seats but on the other areas inside the cabin.

I have few questions. How did you manage to get them installed without affecting the airbags inside them? Also, I see the same material being used on the lower part of center console as well as door trims. Did you use the same leather there? How much did the whole job cost?
shipnil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2017, 19:41   #1236
BHPian

Is there a waiting period for new Ecosport? How fast are they delivering in Bangalore. Someone who already bought please enlighten me. Planning to sell my 2014 Figo for Ecosport. I don't want to remain carless for more than a week.
Old 21st November 2017, 19:43   #1237
BHPian

Quote:
Before some one asks, I got it done at Orchis Powai.
Seats look nice, if you don't mind can you share the price, also i see a lot of brown interiors like the door pads and all. Did they come with a dual tone interiors.

Also i currently own the AT and love it in long drives, within City the DCT isn't that good especially in stop go traffic. However i am used to it now and find it manageable.

As for suspension, its definitely firm, can you provide more details as to what you have done and has it improved and made it a bit soft.
Chillout is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2017, 23:11   #1238
Distinguished - BHPian

A close look video of the Ambiente (base) and the Titanium variants of the 2017 Ford EcoSport, courtesy

And one on the Trend+ AT variant, courtesy Maestro Network's Youtube channel.

Last edited by GTO : 23rd November 2017 at 08:10. Reason: Removing dead YouTube link
RavenAvi is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2017, 00:32   #1239
BANNED

In case other people haven't realised, the new Ecosport hasn't garnered specific new RnD from Ford. They have basically planted the Interiors from the new global Fiesta into the Ecosport. And it seem logical and not that difficult given that the new Fiesta is basically the same platform as the Last gen (Sold as the Fiesta Sedan in India) just reworked and lengthened a bit.
What really excites me is since the new Ecosport is so heavily localised, Ford won't need extensive work to do the same for the fiesta given a lot of parts sharing. Here's hoping they can look at bringing it to India soon. And keep the Ecoboost please!!
Old 22nd November 2017, 08:20   #1240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajishanand View Post
Is there a waiting period for new Ecosport? How fast are they delivering in Bangalore. Someone who already bought please enlighten me. Planning to sell my 2014 Figo for Ecosport. I don't want to remain carless for more than a week.
Yes of course, but it also depends on what variant, color and fuel type you choose. Lightning Blue is in highest demand and hence longer waiting period.

Check with dealers near to you, but i can definitely tell you deliveries won't be in a week because this is a new face lift and lot of people are waiting.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2017, 09:47   #1241
Team-BHP Support

Saw the Ecosport displayed at some office complex yesterday. Very nice indeed. Loved the flat floor.

Paddle shifts are a super addition. I didn't realise till yday but he informed me that the AT is now a torque converter. Hopefully that should ease any limited reliability concerns around DSG - not that I think ford had such bad experiences as an issue as far as I know.
Old 22nd November 2017, 09:53   #1242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
A close look video of the Ambiente (base)....

I like the black grill over the chrome one. A friend is looking out for this car and he too dislikes the top-end grille. I hope it is available and is a simple matter of swapping the parts.

Some other cars that I can think of where owners changed the top-end grille to the base variant are the Swift Dzire and Ertiga.
blackwasp is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2017, 16:34   #1243
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillout View Post
Seats look nice, if you don't mind can you share the price, also i see a lot of brown interiors like the door pads and all. Did they come with a dual tone interiors.

As for suspension, its definitely firm, can you provide more details as to what you have done and has it improved and made it a bit soft.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Yours is the most important post for me on this thread! I like the Ecosport and considering it as an upgrade to my current ride Figo. But the thought of all black interiors is holding me back. It feels claustrophobic. I'd have preferred light colors to get that airy feel. I mean not just on seats but on the other areas inside the cabin.

I have few questions. How did you manage to get them installed without affecting the airbags inside them? Also, I see the same material being used on the lower part of center console as well as door trims. Did you use the same leather there? How much did the whole job cost?
The Previous EcoSport AT came in only one Interior Trim (Black with Light Grey dual tone.) Now I hated the Light grey so what I did was go down to Orchis and got all the light grey changed to (Spray painted) Tan (like Brown) and got the greyish seats and door pads also reupholstered with Tan coloured genuine leather with Red Stitching. (I had the Seats widened and lengthened at the same time.) Earlier there was too much space between the door pads and the seats. Got a few other bits done. The Roof inner lining was replaced with Black coloured lining. The gap between the rear seats and the boot cover was filled with a flexible piece of Black leather etc. So in effect I had Tan + Black coloured interior. Everything that was Grey was repainted Tan. There was no Tan / Brown colour in the car earlier. The Paintwork and leather both have remained as good as new after more than 3 years only the steering leather has worn out a bit but is still quite acceptable.

The Airbag areas were stitched using thinner thread. That is what is done in the original material as well. By the way the original cloth seat covers are removed and thrown away.

The whole thing cost about 60K if I recollect correctly as it has been 3 years am not too sure, the roof was about 5K and the interior painting (they would even do wood trim if you wish on the dash sliver bits, I did not go for that) was about maybe 15K and the leather seats and door trims about 50L so total of 70K discounted to about 60K or maybe 56L (these are the numbers that come to my mind). That though was 3 yrs back.

Last edited by ACM : 22nd November 2017 at 16:37.
ACM is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2017, 17:10   #1244
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post

I like the black grill over the chrome one. A friend is looking out for this car and he too dislikes the top-end grille. I hope it is available and is a simple matter of swapping the parts.
Most BHPians would feel the same. It makes the car look so good. The base model Creta grabs my attention for that all black grill and the absence of chrome above the rear number plate.

But Ford plays safe when it comes to chrome and keeps it minimal. But all manufacturers should make this chrome thingy optional . Sorry for going OT.
naveen.raju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2017, 20:55   #1245
BHPian

Quote:
Another point to add is that the pervious gen EcoSport suffered from a very harsh ride and I have to add wider tyres with same aspect ration as well as a Roger suspension to compensate for this. The New one has a better suspension but they have give up on the gains by going in for 17" rims from 16" rims and this will result in a harsh ride (relative to a new one with 16" rims) again at the cost of looks. Retaining 16" rims would have been better.
I have been reading a lot about the stiff ride of the Ecosport. I too agree to this which I experienced during the short test drive of the previous version ecosport. But I did not find it significantly different from that of the Nexon. What do you guys think on how these compare on the aspect of ride comfort the new Ecosport vs Nexon.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks