Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2017, 09:28   #991

Re: The 2017 Ford EcoSport Facelift caught testing in India. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 7.31 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by damager21 View Post
Are Ford dealers in Mumbai back to their fleecing games? Following is a comparison of price difference between Mumbai and Bangalore.

Attachment 1694574

Mumbai dealer charging 10k more for Zero dep insurance and 1.8k more for Essential kit. For 1.8k you get Key chain, Car freshner and Doc holder. Like seriously?

Consumers have accepted the fact that Titanium AT+ is priced at a premium which means both Ford and their dealer will make more money on this model. If that's not enough, now dealers want to extract even more

Also, I wish offered 4th & 5th year of extended warranty. Only 3 years warranty offered which is a shame.
It's strange you didn't find 4th year extended warranty, my dealer offered it to me, for about 13k. Am buyin' it, IMO the guy you are speaking with is not aware.
Old 11th November 2017, 09:55   #992
BHPian

Re: The 2017 Ford EcoSport Facelift caught testing in India. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 7.31 lakhs

I think its Aditya from team bhp in the motoroid first drive video @ 5.06mins. I have been waiting for the team bhp review since I saw this video.

Guys!! We are waiting. Are we gonna see one? We trust your unbiased review more than any other.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 11th November 2017 at 09:59. Reason: Aditya not Rehaan
Jude300 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th November 2017, 11:41   #993
Distinguished - BHPian

The new Ecosport looks nicer than the outgoing model. More pleasant front look.

It's a 4 seater. The rear-middle seat is of no use. Seats are firm. Space inside is as with a compact SUV. Driving position will not be a problem.

Clutch is light. But gears shifts are Hard. Wonder if it will ease out with use.

Titanium+ does not have separate badging from the Titanium.

The ES will feel a little more solid than the Nexon, but the Nexon has the edge in terms of space, esp leg-space and to some extent on the over-all feel. The boot space may be 350-360 litres, but will feel less in the ES because the space comes from the height and not from the depth of the boot. Many features including head-room will feel similar to each other.

Considering the price vw features, the Nexon looks a bit ahead of the ES.

White / Grey available for quick delivery. Blue / Red will take time. Others like Black, Grey - a bit of a wait.
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2017, 14:06   #994
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijubalan View Post
Definitely Creta AT also comes into comparison now as ecosport OTR price is just short of 14 lacs. ...

Anyone have first hand experience in this comparison?
I'm in the same position- I'm looking at either the ES T+ AT or the Creta petrol AT. Will be doing test drives later this week. Would love to hear your thoughts.
Old 11th November 2017, 14:22   #995
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by qaqa View Post
I'm in the same position- I'm looking at either the ES T+ AT or the Creta petrol AT. Will be doing test drives later this week. Would love to hear your thoughts.
Does the Creta fit 3 people behind comfortably? When I test drove the SX+ diesel AT, the space don't seem that big, more like i20 like. Plus the interiors were OK. Dint feel it was worth 16 lakhs. We choose the xuv500.
The Creta has its benefits over the Ecosport like bigger exterior looks, Slightly more leg room. But is it really a comfortable 5 seater width wise?? I must admit I dint go and physically put 3 people behind to check to see if they could fit comfortably but by the looks of it, I don't feel it's that spacious.

The Creta petrol AT is 2 lakhs more than the Ecosport top end AT. but you should test drive both and see if the Creta is worth 2 lakhs.

Regards

Last edited by rambo1o1 : 11th November 2017 at 14:28.
rambo1o1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2017, 14:25   #996
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1o1 View Post
Does the Creta fit 3 people behind comfortably? When I test drove the SX+ diesel AT, the space don't seem that big, more like i20 like. Plus the interiors were OK. Dint feel it was worth 16 lakhs. We choose the xuv500.
The Creta has its benefits like bigger exterior looks, Slightly more leg room. But is it really a comfortable 5 seater??
The Creta petrol AT is 2 lakhs more than the Ecosport top end AT. but you should test drive both and see if the Creta is worth 2 lakhs.

Regards
Doesn't make any sense at all to pay 2 lakh extra for Creta while Ecosports comes with tonnes of features even at 2 lakh less price. Most notably, paddleshifts. Heck most 30-40 lakh cars do not have this feature.
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2017, 14:58   #997
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1o1 View Post
Does the Creta fit 3 people behind comfortably?
Not significantly better than Ecosport. But no hump, generous legroom and rear AC vent make life easier.
Old 11th November 2017, 17:54   #998
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushikz View Post
It's strange you didn't find 4th year extended warranty, my dealer offered it to me, for about 13k. Am buyin' it, IMO the guy you are speaking with is not aware.
and how much is he charging for the 3rd year extended warranty?
Old 11th November 2017, 20:08   #999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vish_Janu View Post
and how much is he charging for the 3rd year extended warranty?
9k for 3 years for my AT. Actually it is 13.9k (not 13) for 4 years.

Last edited by aah78 : 11th November 2017 at 21:10. Reason: Post edited - readability.
Old 11th November 2017, 21:11   #1000
BHPian

Here is my experience of sitting on the driving seats of Nexon, Ecosport, Creta and S-Cross.

Nexon - I could not find any good driving position in Nexon. Liked the clutch which was very smooth.

Creta - Sitting position for me was better than Nexon.

Ecosport - I found driving position very comfortable in Ecosport. Gear shifting was little hard. I was checking this on Ecosport standing in showroom. Not sure if this will be smoother over a period of time.

S-Cross - Good driving position but clutch was very hard for me.
Old 11th November 2017, 21:12   #1001
Senior - BHPian

Did two test drives of Titanium+ Diesel MT today. One in driver seat and one in rear seat. Here are my observations.

Power Delivery
As the Diesel engine is unchanged, power output wise i pretty much felt same as it was in outgoing model. However, what makes things more comfortable is due to new steering, new seats, Driver Arm Rest and good ORVM & IRVM. To me i felt the clutch and gear shifts are quite comfortable, even though i come from driving a petrol car experience. This is Ford and obviously we wish to sit in Driver's seat. Its so much comfortable especially with Tilt & Telescopic steering. I can comfortably rest my left elbow in driver arm rest and right elbow in driver's door, so long drives should be really comfortable.

Mobile Navigation System
Had a chance to test the Android Auto and Google Maps Navigation. Please note that to connect Android Auto we have to connect the Phone with USB cable to one of the illuminated USB ports. I believe it should be same for Apple Car Play as well. So navigation cannot be done in wireless mode. However good thing is the phone gets charged because normally the phone battery drains out faster when GPS is ON.
Not sure how it is (wired or wireless) in other cars like new S-Cross etc which supports Android Auto. I even tried to connect the Car's Wi-Fi to my Phone's Wi-Fi Hotspot and also paired it using BT. But still to use Navigation system, Car and phone must be wired. I believe that Car's WiFi is primarily used to upgrade the Ford SYNC3 software version. Didn't see any other option or usecase for searching for near-by WiFi in limited time.
All Android commands worked seamlessly similar to how new SYNC3 voice commands work. I was told that the contacts in phone needs to be stored in ALL CAPS for the system to recognize names to make phone calls via voice commands. Could not check it/verify this time.

Hill Climb Assist Test
Initially during the test drive i found that Hill Climb Assist was not working as it is easy to test in Bangalore roads. Was surprised why is it so. Later figured out that the previous person who drove the test drive car switched it off explicitly in MID settings. Once i enabled, it worked very well and car didn't roll down after taking the leg off from B pedal.

Head Lights
As mentioned in my previous post, can re-verify that in Low beam mode Projector head lamps glow. When we turn on High Beam, along with Projector beam lights, the adjacent high beam bulbs glow. These are in addition to DRL and Fog lamps. So overall, the light ahead in front should be sufficient in dark. However we have to see it in dark because so far we haven't heard from anyone who tested in dark.

Audio System
Audio system was pretty good. Nice to see the the woofer behind the 8" screen which is only available in top variants. Speed Adaptive volume adjustment, Sound fader preference depending on passenger seats etc were all nice goodies.

Air Conditioning
Air Conditioning was as powerful as it was earlier and all its options (Max A/c, foot only, front and rear defogger etc) did good job as expected. Albeit Bangalore weather is cold now, with all windows closed, In Max AC mode within less than 2 minutes we can feel the cabin fully getting cold and should be bone chilling in 5 minutes time. In hot places i think this will be very helpful. Otherwise, when temperature is set to 22 degrees, it was more comfortable.

Other Points
1) Front & Rear Wiper and Washes everything worked well.
2) Interior illumination, different colors ambient lighting are feel good factors.
3) Once again nice to see puddle lamps and auto opening ORVM (which can also be configured in MID settings0
4) Storage below Front Passenger seat is available only in Titanium+ variant. its not a big cost, and i felt ford could have provided it atleast from Trend onwards.
5) SYNC3 software in touchscreen had an option to set time as per GPS. It is not clear whether the GPS sensor is really present in the car for Emergency Assist call during the crash to send Latitude/Longitude co-ordinates.
Since there is no inbuilt GPS based navigation system and no internal memory/SD card for maps, this is unclear. May be it is a useless option/settings is what i guess. But we will know it from ownership reports. Anyone knows more info on this? In case if the GPS is present in the car, it wouldn't have been a big deal to provide inbuilt navigation in top end atleast.
6) It is not very easy to fit the parcel tray above the boot/behind rear seats. Need some extra attention as i felt there is no gap between rear seats and parcel tray to fit it easliy. Otherwise, i guess we will hear the rattling sound/vibrations.
7) Somehow i felt the bite in brakes can be much earlier, instead of pressing the B pedal even further down. Although the braking is good if you press the pedal down properly, its not that the braking starts early as you start pressing it.
8) It is best to consider this car as 4 seater for adults for all practical purposes and may be a kid can sit in rear middle seat compromising the rear arm rest comfort for adults.

Rear Seat Test Drive
Here are my observations when i took rear seat test drive.
1) With my driving position (i am 5.6) and front seat adjusted, I found the rear leg room was quite adequate and there should not be much complaints. For tall drivers, when the seat is pushed back, certainly the rear right person will have to compromise the leg room.
2) I felt that the rear suspension is still hard and not significantly different though ford claims it is tuned a bit. I didn't feel much difference compared to the outgoing car. Only good point is the more comfortable seats in back. But otherwise, i think most of the back seat issues in outgoing car will continue/reported in this face lift as well. Need more testing to do in city and highway drives.

Lower Variants

Had a chance to see other variants too in different colors (Trend MT, Trend+ AT, Ambient, Titanium) Red, White and Smoke Grey. Definitely can make out significant difference in comfort between Ambient/Trend to Titanium and even between Titanium to Titanium+. After sitting in Titanium and above, its really hard to sit in lower variants Your elbow pains when you rest it in doors in all 4 sides as it is very hard.
Trend Petrol AT was available in display, but Titanium+ with paddle shift was not available for test drive or even to look at.
Those who want to take a look at how smaller touchscreen looks like, i have attached the picture. You can make out that the woofer is missing in this clearly.

For what Ford delivered, its really hard to find faults in this new facelift in this price point being a sub 4 meter CSUV, unless some one wears a big magnifying lens and be nit picky.

That's all for now until i see this beauty once again and find more observations to share my personal opinions

-Ravi
Attached Thumbnails
The 2017 Ford EcoSport Facelift caught testing in India. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 7.31 lakhs-new-ecosport-lower-variant-touchscreen.jpg  

Last edited by ravib : 11th November 2017 at 21:25.
ravib is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 11th November 2017, 21:23   #1002
BHPian

Interesting video showing the display on the Titanium variant while reversing @ 1.36 mins and 2 mins. The display shows the proximity to any object.

Jude300 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2017, 21:44   #1003
BHPian

Hi folks,

Visited a nearby Ford dealership today evening to check out the new Ecosport. Being a gasoline lover, my primary focus and the aim of visit was the new 1.5L 3-pot Dragon Engine. Penning down my overall observations on this:
  • Good and a sturdy built as expected from Ford.
  • While the front dual SRS airbags are a standard across all the variants, the Titanium+ trim additionally gets side & curtain airbags.
  • No uneven panel gaps noticed.
  • The showroom vehicle(Diesel Titanium+) was shod with low profile Bridgestone (205/50 R17) whereas the TD vehicle(Petrol Titanium) was shod with MRF (205/60 R16). Low profile tyres = Compromise in the ride quality but better on handling. Also, not suitable for driving on the poor roads. That said, the 16" composition is more versatile IMO.
  • The overall sitting and the driving ergonomics felt comfortable. The height, the view, the armrest, the parking brake, the ABC positioning & spacing all felt okay.
  • The clutch was light and didn't have a long throw either.
  • Cranking this 1497cc motor via the push button start/stop triggered a shudder from this motor. Thanks to the larger stroke per cylinder. The shudder vanished immediately as the 3-cylinder motor came to life.
  • The engine felt a rev-happy motor.
  • NVH: At idle, it was low on the noise(almost silent) but as expected from a 3-pot mill, the vibrations could be felt inside sitting on the seat and on the steering column. Opened the door and could easily feel it dance to the piston rhythm. But from an SUV / compact SUV standards, the vibration levels were on the lower side. Nowhere that the engine felt harsh, while the outside noise was a bit on the higher note than what I'd expect from a petrol mill.

While I was looking into all these rather than focusing on the bells & whistles(as done by the majority), the sales advisor better thought to stay silent & observe me, and so we barely had any conversation.

A view of the engine bay. It is airy and the Dragon motor is easily sitting with enough space but still, feels cluttered IMHO.
The 2017 Ford EcoSport Facelift caught testing in India. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 7.31 lakhs-1-engine-bay.jpg

A closer look at the 1497cc power mill. Notice, there is no cover atop as with many modern day engines or "Dragon" badging.
The 2017 Ford EcoSport Facelift caught testing in India. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 7.31 lakhs-2-3pot-dragon.jpg

Notice the healthy firewall shielding and ample air space in between for the heat to efficiently dissipate.
The 2017 Ford EcoSport Facelift caught testing in India. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 7.31 lakhs-3-healthy-firewal.jpg

Digging further down revealed some component sourcing from China. The alternator assembly. Many other components simply mentioned 'FoMoCo'.
The 2017 Ford EcoSport Facelift caught testing in India. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 7.31 lakhs-4-chinese-components.jpg

Can you see the toe? There's no underbody cover. But do not think if its necessary. Why? Healthy ground clearance coupled with a low overhang.
The 2017 Ford EcoSport Facelift caught testing in India. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 7.31 lakhs-5-under-body-cover.jpg

Some useful specs as mentioned under the hood which also houses a full length cladding to soak the noise.
The 2017 Ford EcoSport Facelift caught testing in India. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 7.31 lakhs-6-under-hood-specs.jpg

The new Ecosport sports contemporary DRLs. One can distinguish its presence from a distance.
The 2017 Ford EcoSport Facelift caught testing in India. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 7.31 lakhs-7-drls.jpg

...And the projector headlamps too. The overall headlamp assembly is bigger. Believe, these will address the issue of poor lighting in the outgoing Ecosport. Also, notice the light from the DRLs is making its way out from the fine gaps.
The 2017 Ford EcoSport Facelift caught testing in India. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 7.31 lakhs-8-projector-headlamp-drl.jpg

Pricelist in Gurgaon.
The 2017 Ford EcoSport Facelift caught testing in India. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 7.31 lakhs-9-gurgaon-price.jpg

The official brochure at a glance.
The 2017 Ford EcoSport Facelift caught testing in India. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 7.31 lakhs-10-brochure.jpg

The 2017 Ford EcoSport Facelift caught testing in India. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 7.31 lakhs-11-brochure.jpg

The 2017 Ford EcoSport Facelift caught testing in India. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 7.31 lakhs-12-brochure.jpg

The spec sheet and variant comparison.
The 2017 Ford EcoSport Facelift caught testing in India. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 7.31 lakhs-13-brochure.jpg

The 2017 Ford EcoSport Facelift caught testing in India. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 7.31 lakhs-14-brochure.jpg

Cheers!
Nohonking is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 11th November 2017, 22:46   #1004
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Thanks Naveen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by qaqa View Post
Hi qaqa,

The budget I am looking for is max of 18 lacs. I did not consider sedans for a variety of reasons like GC, visibility etc and also including the fact this car will be at times a utility vehicle as well for me, moving house hold stuff here and there etc. I am considering anything from Ecosport to Hexa. Doesn't really mean they are at 2 ends of spectrum, This is just considering the price and size . I tried a weighted average scoring to see where all these vehicles stand for my priorities and observations during brief test drives. Ecosport in this comparison is the old one as I have not test drove the face-lift version yet.

My priorities where in this order Safety>Ride Comfort>Automatic performance>Spacious for 5>Price>Looks, and I gave them weightage from 1-5 as per my requirement. Each car was rated on a scale from 1-7 based on what I perceived during the test drives.

Now shortlisting the top 2 it is Hexa XMA and Ecosport Ti+. The other cars considered are also great, only thing as per my priority they din't score. For you something else might tick.

There are 2 things now running in my mind which is
1)Should I override this score just for safety features and push Ecosport to the top.
2) What happens to the >2L diesels in near future. Will it be a prudent investment considering the situation in Delhi and me being at Bangalore which might be next in the queue. Kerala already had seen some NGT ban even though stayed by high court.

<http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/176394-ngt-bans-10-year-old-diesel-vehicles-kerala-edit-high-court-stays-ban.html>

Both of these tilting the scale heavily towards Ecosport. But, yet to decide. If meanwhile Tata bring in an XMA 4x4 with atleast TC and ESP that would be my next car.

Let us see how your test drive goes and what decision you take. All the best!

Note:- I have attached the excel sheet in case someone wants to alter the parameters and calculate for themselves.
Attached Thumbnails
The 2017 Ford EcoSport Facelift caught testing in India. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 7.31 lakhs-carcomparo.jpg.jpg  

Attached Files
File Type: xlsx Car_Ranking.xlsx (12.5 KB, 307 views)

Last edited by bijubalan : 11th November 2017 at 22:56.
bijubalan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th November 2017, 00:31   #1005
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushikz View Post
9k for 3 years for my AT. Actually it is 13.9k (not 13) for 4 years.
So if I want to extend it till 4th year, I would have to pay 9k for 3rd year + 13.9k for 4th = 22.9k, correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
Did two test drives of Titanium+ Diesel MT today. One in driver seat and one in rear seat. Here are my observations.

Those who want to take a look at how smaller touchscreen looks like, i have attached the picture. You can make out that the woofer is missing in this clearly.

-Ravi
Ravi, you sure that is a woofer and not just a center speaker? I know somebody else mentioned that earlier as well, but my doubts stem from the fact that Ford hasn't even mentioned the word woofer anywhere in the brochure, I would assume they would have at least highlighted that in the spec sheet comparison.

Were you able to hear some music on the T+ version as well?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks