Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2018, 19:05   #256
BHPian

re: The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh

Mods, I am sure our team-bhp team was also invited to the media review. If it is ok, please do share the initial impression of the vehicle (especially with respect to engine performance and rear seat comfort) while we wait for detailed review which might be still few weeks away.
Simhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2018, 10:32   #257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
ACI review says the car is nowhere near Verna forget the City in terms of performance.
I used to own a 2011 city, which I sold in 2015. The Vtec is a rev happy engine, and is best enjoyed in the mid range and is terrific at top end. During a short test drive, everyone will be blown off by the sheer butter smooth revving capability. So smitten was yours truly with the top end, that my team bhp handle became an ode to the Vtec

Having said that, in daily usage, especially if you are a sedate driver like me, the Vtec will disappoint. The low end is poor and you will be forced to work the (awesome) gearbox.

The Yaris is tuned diffirently, with drivability in mind, and the low end as per the reviews is good. So what am getting to is, a downright comparison isnt fair, each has its own strong points, choose according to your needs and usage.
revintup is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 19th April 2018, 20:54   #258
BHPian

I pre-booked the Yaris 2 weeks back, now after seeing all these review multiple times my mind is slowly peeping into Honda showroom. Anyway will TD directly after April 25th to get a better picture.

I love city's ivtec but don't like it's NVH, ride and build quality much, seems like it's exact vice versa for Yaris.

Here starts the confusion
Old 21st April 2018, 16:26   #259
BHPian

Here is the powerdrift review. Posting it as I found an interesting detail:

1. Hand gestures are active for 5 seconds only.
2. The infotainment system can be tilted up to avoid reflection.
3. Has a SD card slot at the bottom and a DVD slot at the back.

The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh-20180421_162451.jpg

The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh-20180421_162547.jpg

PraNeel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st April 2018, 17:24   #260
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PraNeel View Post
Here is the powerdrift review. Posting it as I found an interesting detail:

1. Hand gestures are active for 5 seconds only.
2. The infotainment system can be tilted up to avoid reflection.
3. Has a SD card slot at the bottom and a DVD slot at the back.
Seems to be a similar HU to the Corolla - to be honest it is a little slow and laggy + a little confusing to use.
Comparing it to the HU in the S-Cross which is a little more intuitive.
lamborghini is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st April 2018, 22:43   #261
BHPian

The Yaris was on display today at a mall (comes as a surprise as its a mall in tier-3 city) in Udaipur. The executives were friendly to talk with, and they explained features in detail. The car and its components are not heavy (VW/Skoda doors are spoiling us indeed), but built well and built to last, typical of a Toyota. Powered seats are good to have in this segment. Though they explained everything well, they told that even they aren't aware of the prices, and the prices will be revealed on 25th of April most likely.

Couldn't click many pictures due to faulty phone, and camera quality is poor, hence kindly spare me.

The red is a looker. Sporty to look at and may be popular among the millenials
The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh-img_20180421_123757_516.jpg

The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh-img_20180421_125232_032.jpg

However, more matured color which looks a bit of sporty and sober as well, is the silver. Lexus inspired grille area looks good.
The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh-img_20180421_130657_128.jpg

The side profile is good, and wheels don't look that disproportionately small. However, while Corolla(P) and Fortuner have such good alloy designs, and Toyota is playing all the safe cards on Yaris, they could have provided better alloys. Just an expectation, while its still okay.
The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh-img_20180421_123809_069.jpg

Steering is good to hold, can be adjusted only for rake and not reach. MID is nice and provides info on exact open doors. One strange thing I noticed: The locking latch for the steering rake is pretty small in size. When the steering was unlocked for adjusting rake, instead of being at the same position so that one can adjust it then, the steering 'fell' to the bottom-most position due to weight and I had to 'lift' it to my appropriate position. Never noticed in any other cars out of the limited number of cars I've driven, hence putting my observations forward.
The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh-img_20180421_123905_903.jpg

Interiors are built well, good fit and finish. Hard plastics form pattern which give an illusion of being soft touch/leather stitching. Smart!
The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh-img_20180421_123935_134.jpg

As you can make out from this picture, center armrest is rendered useless for majority of its buyers
The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh-img_20180421_124243_976.jpg

With the console lights on. To get into the accessory mode, without pressing ABC pedals, press the start/stop button TWICE
The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh-photo_20180421_124659.jpg

The roof mounted vent, and it is really effective, as you can divert air to your face too instead of knees chilling in conventional vents. Useful and thoughtful. Smart thing again.
The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh-photo_20180421_124306.jpg

It sucks in air gently from the central black portion and jets it out from the side fins/wings. That white patch is my visiting card sticking to it (testing the suction). Gentle suction, anything heavier couldn't hold.
The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh-photo_20180421_124810.jpg

The key. Call me weird, but I believe that a car is also represented by its keys. While the key is built well and sturdy, it doesn't look like a 15 lakh car key. Well, at least its still better than previous gen Altis that came with separate key and remote set. I'd have expected better design of key. This is comparable to Dzire or Swift key. I feel Figo twins and Tiago twins keys are better than this one, and Ecosport/Verna/Ciaz (top top variant) keys are leaps ahead in terms of aesthetics.

The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh-photo_20180421_124614.jpg

The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh-photo_20180421_124621.jpg

The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh-photo_20180421_124649.jpg

Test drives to be available again after 25th. Will wait for writing down my further observations till then. Overall a good car that offends almost none and pleases many. 7 Airbags is just wow!
PrasunBannerjee is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2018, 21:08   #262
Distinguished - BHPian

Toyota Yaris reaches dealerships,

The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh-dbzhzepxkaaxsr3.jpg

The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh-2018toyotayarissedanreachesdealeryardaheadoflaunch1.jpg

link

Last edited by volkman10 : 22nd April 2018 at 21:10.
volkman10 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2018, 18:35   #263
BHPian

Got this message from the dealer.
"Dear Customer,
Greeting from LANSON TOYOTA. We are pleased to invite you for the Display/Price launch of the All NEW TOYOTA YARIS at our showroom on 25th April 10.30 AM onwards. Kindly give your valuable presence to our new product launch."
Nazzy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2018, 19:40   #264
BHPian

Big thumbs up to Toyota for giving 7 airbags, ABS, EBD and brake assist as standard and CVT option on all varients.

I have been thinking of replacing my 2011 VW Vento TDI with a new car with automatic transmission. I had already shortlisted the 2nd generation Honda Amaze i-VTEC CVT for test drive after its launched. However since Toyota is offering a CVT on all varients of Yaris I am now tempted to consider a lower J or G CVT varient of Yaris also as an option. Just waiting for the prices of both these cars to come out.
Flyer is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th April 2018, 12:32   #265
Senior - BHPian

Lost interest in this car !!

Apart from the 7 air bags, I feel even Etios looks like a better deal in front of this. Not sure if this is the strategy from Toyota to boost Etios sales !!

Rear seat seem to be 2+kid only (Same issue i had with Verna too) Also the center armrest is useless for the drive and also seem to eat into the 3rd passenger in the rear. double Whammy !!

Engine too seem to be lackluster as per the reviews, though it might be good for city crawling.

Overall, no wow factor except for i guess the price - which might make the buyers wonder Wow why so pricy !! . Will still wait for couple more days to see if they surprise us with the introductory prices at least undercutting city
rajshenoy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2018, 21:04   #266
BHPian

Dealers are at full swing, Lanson Toyota unveiling at 10.30AM and Harsha Toyota at 4.30 PM, they even created a WhatsApp group for prospective customers. Let's see if Toyota prices this cleverly.
Attached Thumbnails
The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh-img20180424wa0006.jpg  

cmani0000 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2018, 22:54   #267
BHPian

good to hear, no action from Pune dealers yet. I only received the registration confirmations and initial calls from Toyota customer care. Guess some locations/dealers are more proactive than others.
Old 25th April 2018, 00:10   #268

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunramaswamy View Post
It will surely sell around 4000 copies every single month Guaranteed. That's brand Toyota. Competitors envy. Toyota has pretty much led the sales in each and every segment it sells, barring Etios/Liva because Indian mass market prefers show-off blings to Safe body structure.
Toyota is a premium brand? It's most widely known for its Taxi, the Innova. The only "premium" product it sells is the Fortuner, and even that has started to fall behind the likes of the new Endeavour in both looks and features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Toyota India had organised a drive recently at Bangalore for it's sales personnel, comparing the upcoming Yaris sedan with the Honda City, Hyundai Verna & the Maruti Suzuki Ciaz in terms of driveability, ease of use, features on offer and performance.
Toyota sales personnel report back that new Toyota car is better than the competition. Gee, colour me surprised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxster View Post
You make a good point, but we need to remember Ford's impression in the Indian market from the past in terms of lower mileage, expensive parts, low resale value etc., which makes buyers apprehensive about buying their cars today, even though all of those things have changed now. The Ford cars as of today are right up there with the best, if not better in some cases, but word of mouth matters a lot.
Quite the contrary, Toyota is considered a cheap taxi car in India. 2 out of its 3 major offerings are used for taxis, afterall.

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 25th April 2018 at 16:55. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks!
ssm0304 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2018, 10:04   #269
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssm0304 View Post
Toyota sales personnel report back that new Toyota car is better than the competition. Gee, colour me surprised.
Feedback was not from any Toyota staff - it was from independent observers on the parameters of driveability, ride quality and features on offer, which left them very impressed.

Cannot disclose their names due to obvious reasons.
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2018, 10:36   #270
Distinguished - BHPian

Toyota Yaris has been launched at Rs 8.75 lakhs, ex-showroom India.

Variant-wise introductory pricing:

J MT - 8.75L
J CVT - 9.95L

G MT - 10.56L
G CVT - 11.76L

V MT - 11.70L
V CVT - 12.90L

VX MT - 12.85L
VX CVT - 14.07L

All prices, ex-showroom pan-India.

ACI

Last edited by RavenAvi : 25th April 2018 at 10:40.
RavenAvi is offline   (36) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks