Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2018, 20:10   #346
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Motorsports View Post
Price comparison with the competition
Cheapest AT barring the Ciaz is Yaris J CVT, based on that infographic. Safety package is better than Ciaz.

At the top end the most expensive one is also Yaris.

Last edited by Sankar : 25th April 2018 at 20:15.
Old 25th April 2018, 20:14   #347
Distinguished - BHPian

Phew, Toyota management is high on something!

This just makes Ciaz petrol a bargain if someone isn't after performance but after comfort and space. City/Ciaz are clearly a size bigger and better looking than the disproportionate Yaris. Heck, one can get a top end ciaz diesel for a price that's way lesser than Paris petrol. Agreed safety USP of Yaris is unbeaten!
Old 25th April 2018, 21:05   #348
Senior - BHPian

Plain and Simple : Power output not worth the money.

What is the one thing that comes to pull your strings after 4-5 years of car ownership? To alot of people, I believe it is power output 50%, reliability 30%, features 20%.

Even a rookie will know this isn't just 'optimistic' pricing by the brand. At this price, there are many other very good options that'll satisfy the 3 needs more than sufficiently. IMHO, (to put it less harshly) it'd be "less than prudent" for anyone to buy a Yaris.

Moreover, Indian market takes to cross shopping quite easily. We don't stick-on to sedans if we somehow feel a compact SUV could also suit the need.

Anyway, the manufacturing line for Yaris at Toyota's plant could very well remain grossly underutilised for many years.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 25th April 2018 at 21:21.
GrammarNazi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th April 2018, 21:38   #349
BHPian

Heads up

I heard from Honda sales executive that price of city V MT petrol is going to increase this month, the price hike was expected on April 6th but for unknown reasons it has been postponed till now and they're confident that it will be increased anytime soon.

I know that unknown reason
cmani0000 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2018, 01:14   #350
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmani0000 View Post
Heads up

I heard from Honda sales executive that price of city V MT petrol is going to increase this month, the price hike was expected on April 6th but for unknown reasons it has been postponed till now and they're confident that it will be increased anytime soon.

I know that unknown reason
They have been threatening this price hike since the last 12 months in Bangalore. The V is priced at 9.99 lakh and if they move it to beyond 10 the additional tax increases OTR by 65k.
They are competing with Ciaz and Verna so I don’t see them hiking the V price anytime soon. What you will not get is any form of discounts.
Old 26th April 2018, 01:30   #351
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post

One thing for sure, no more yellow plate Honda City and Ciaz, the new yellow plate champ to sit above Etios has arrived - all hail!
No diesel = no yellow plates. Still Ciaz and city makes a compelling case for commercial purposes.
AccordSport is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2018, 07:11   #352
Senior - BHPian

I don't regret pushing my parents to buy a Ciaz AT and not wait for the Yaris.

This is like an Apple iPhone vs Google Pixel competition- where Honda is a well established product and Toyota is no newbie but has a very good product, not something that is capable of sending shivers down its competitors.

I'm sure they'll sell decent numbers, but they will not come close to threatening the City (for the enthusiast) or the Ciaz(for the no-nonsense buyer.)

The Innova can't be used as a yardstick for comparison. The Innova simply doesn't have tough competition. The Yaris has formidable competition in the form of the City, Ciaz and Verna- each of them from great brands and with different set of strengths to appeal to different kinds buyers.

Do note that the next-gen City and a new Ciaz aren't far away.
landcruiser123 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 26th April 2018, 07:17   #353
Distinguished - BHPian

Suddenly, specially to those for whom value and getting the most out of a car matters, a D-Segment sedan is making a lot of sense over even large hatchbacks or C-Segment sedans these days.. there simply is too much of difference in refinement, ride quality, and space.

There are stories of people having bought a Jetta at about 18-20L OTR shortly before it went off the showroom floor - bargains of the century. Somehow I just do not see the mathematics when one is paying about 11-12L for a hatchback or about 16-18L for a C Segment sedan. The top-end City CVT comes for around 17 lakhs, this means that the Yaris top end should be around 18 lakhs.. mind numbing figure and is absolutely not worth it at the end of the day.

This makes me all the more happy for owning an Elantra with a ride-quality that is so far above the C-segmenters (even the Verna which is constructed on an older Elantra platform) that it seems to be a bargain for the 19L that it costed on-road, before exchange.

As for Yaris, better to buy a Corolla if one is a Toyota fan.. or cars like Rapid DSG (if great engine-gearbox combo is required) or a Nissan Sunny (if space and comfort is necessary) are great alternatives to the Yaris which just follows a middle-path in every aspect. Of course Toyota has better sales and support backing, only wish they'd price their products closer to the sky rather than outer space.

Last edited by dark.knight : 26th April 2018 at 07:18.
dark.knight is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 26th April 2018, 07:27   #354
Senior - BHPian

A 4.10L price difference between the basic MT and the top end MT. That's 47% more than the cost of the basic J variant!! Same engine specs, same safety features, just additional gizmos?!

Well, it's a Toyota and they don't have to justify anything because we are too enamoured by the badge.
discoverwild is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th April 2018, 07:54   #355
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoverX View Post
. Also, these two being primarily Suzuki products won't be perceived on par with the usual Toyota quality standards, which makes the Yaris carry the responsibility of establishing a premium image in this price range, too!
That is a pretty loose statement to give. Please define what quality means to you.
Old 26th April 2018, 08:56   #356
BHPian

Size and equipment being equal, Toyota and Honda should be able to command more premium than maruti and hyundai for their cars. And I don't understand why Toyota, which commands equal brand value, if not more, with Honda should price their cars lower. City has better looks than the Yaris and may hence find more takers, but otherwise have little difference between them.

Last edited by civic-sense : 26th April 2018 at 08:58.
civic-sense is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2018, 09:34   #357
BHPian

Contrary to the general perception here in our Forum there are people out there who think this is aggressive pricing-

Quote:
Industry officials said Toyota’s aggressive stance will mean that other companies will offer discounts to thwart any immediate poaching. “We are looking at the situation very closely, and how the market responds to Yaris. A variety of options are at our disposal, including price rationalisation, in case the need arises,” a top official with one of Toyota’s competitors said, requesting anonymity.
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/63918408.cms

Personally I think Toyota has not really overpriced or underpriced the car. It is just right for the T badge to be placed on par with the straight H. A lower price might give an indication to the market that Toyota is coming up with another Etios.

Toyota has done well to differentiate itself from competition by providing 7 air bags in all variants and not forcing buyers to upgrade for safety. And as a first they've come up with some Gizmos too like projectors from base variant which will add brownie points in the market.
And you also have the option of buying an automatic in all variants.

Considering how bad Honda's A.S.S has become (based on comments by friends owning Honda), Toyota has a good chance not withstanding the lower power which anyway is not the first priority for a non-enthusiast.
pacman2881 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th April 2018, 10:04   #358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Suddenly, specially to those for whom value and getting the most out of a car matters, a D-Segment sedan is making a lot of sense over even large hatchbacks or C-Segment sedans these days.. there simply is too much of difference in refinement, ride quality, and space.

As for Yaris, better to buy a Corolla if one is a Toyota fan..
Just looked up Corolla website after reading your comment and was surprised to see that Corolla Altis now comes with 7 airbags in all variants. This was not the case last year (had downloaded brochure in June'17). Maybe a Yaris effect. I don't remember reading news article which mentioned this update to Altis.

The Toyota Yaris. EDIT: Prices start at Rs. 8.75 lakh-corolla-7-airbags.png

So agree with your comments. People looking at Yaris VX models should also look into Altis variants.
Simhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2018, 10:38   #359
Senior - BHPian

This has become a Yaris bashing thread now. I had enquired about the City in Feb. The V variant which is the third last (below the vx and top z) variant came to 12.7. Lacs on road in Mumbai. As the sales guy was explaining key less entry feature he swung the door shut. The entire driver door pad shook just as the door closed. And this was a show room car. Don't know how it will fare 5 to 7 years down the line.

Compared to that even though I am yet to see the car in flesh I am sure the Yaris will have a better build quality. Maybe not a Euro build but good enough. I think the Yaris is more for the mature buyer. Maybe 40 and above. The engine size is same as the city but power output is less probably it has been tuned for better mileage and driveablility in city traffic.

I own and drive a Honda Civic. Everyone knows the car is a pain in traffic due to it's low end torque. I just cannot push the car to its limits because it' just not safe to do so. Brutal acceleration are just fancy words in Mumbai traffic. It's only 10 to 20% of the time that one can hit good speeds and that too for just a few seconds. For the most part the car is driven sedately. And this is the part where the Yaris is probably concentrating.

I think the pricing is ok. 7 air bags and all wheel disc brakes plus a min 100 hp engine cuts it for me. I think the Yaris is a practical car and at 13.7 on road for V variant (source carwale) which has everything a person like me needs I actually find it justified for everything it offers. In today's evergrowing traffic with all kinds of people driving on the road I would prefer a safer car than a fast one with light build. I rather have decent grunt in the lower end than at the top which will be used rarely.

To each his own.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 26th April 2018, 10:40   #360
BHPian

Despite everything that has been stated here, I expect the Yaris to sell well.

The real question is whether customers will opt for the Yaris, say 2 years from now. Keeping in mind the introductory prices, I doubt Yaris will sell well after 2 years.
jensjoseph is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks