Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2021, 22:19   #766
BHPian

Re: Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?

Test Drive Video By Faisal Khan, As per him it's a overhyped car
a4_attitude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2021, 13:43   #767
Distinguished - BHPian

In Talking Cars' latest episode on the GNCAP tests, Bhpian @vivekji05 does mention the Jimny.

It was in regards to the BNVSAP implementation. It maybe implemented next year, and the first vehicle to be tested would be the Jimny. Ofcourse, if you see it the other way around. BNVSAP has been coming since 2014 and the Jimny is coming since 1998.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4_attitude View Post
Overhyped? I can't recall any proper alternative to the Jimny globally and the waiting periods and mark ups should be saying something. Ofcourse, Suzuki had ensured it stays true to its root and has not succumbed to go soft and mainstream. That may disappoint a lot of people, but it is the same reason why it is such a big seller now.

And if cars are rated on the 'amount of wheelspin, scooped out seatback, magazine holder, auto ORVM and DUK DUK DUK, hard plastics everywhere', no comments. Especially the tasteless jab at the 'stick of truth' guy

Last edited by DicKy : 5th December 2021 at 13:44.
DicKy is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 5th December 2021, 14:06   #768
BHPian

Quote:
And why are we talking about this idiot vlogger in a reputed forum like Team-BHP??

Jimny is overhyped? How did he analyze that? Lemme guess! The Jimny probably did not wheelspin like crazy or give him "the Beans" or there are no soft touch plastics anywhere in the car and that made him conclude that Jimny is overhyped!

Here's a note to him, Dear Mr. self proclaimed journalist, please go on hooning around in media cars lent to you by companies. You would never understand why the Jimny is so hyped globally!
theAutomaniac is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 5th December 2021, 16:40   #769
Senior - BHPian

He speaks so many words it gets unbearable. Good thing though that you can mute the video and just look at his hand gestures (of which there are MANY) and understand pretty much everything.

After driving around in circles again and again on perfectly paved road this insufferable idiot says "mechanically this is not a great car". That should tell you how poorest quality content is pegged as automobile reviews in India on YouTube. Truly horrible. And if that's not enough, he keeps saying "chintoo-mintoo" on repeat.
amol4184 is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 5th December 2021, 21:16   #770
BHPian

To be honest he tried so hard to belittle or insult the Jimny in a disguised way that to me he comes out to be a charlie. One can belittle automobiles like the Jimny as much as one wants but that is at one's own peril. Mostly it is oneself who gets belittled not the Jimny. To me it was a stupid stupid video. Innately stupid. He seems to be a Thar or Mahindra fanboy, maybe doing it as a paid project too. But his trying so hard tells him apart.

What is apparent though is, people are trying hard to make Jimny a Thar competitor, which it definitely is not. Jimny is a mountain goat, go anywhere vehicle, with no non sense and basic stuff. The harder they try the better publicity the Jimny gets. I hope it launches soon to put things into real perspective.

TBHP members on this thread have been waiting for years for the Jimny launch, which Maruti doesn't seem to care about and here we have a certain Faisal Khan going all the way to UAE (or is he from there?) to unnecessarily present us with his own insinuations about it.

Last edited by Aditya : 6th December 2021 at 15:19. Reason: Irrelevant bit deleted
Fuldagap is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th December 2021, 23:58   #771
BHPian

Quote:
https://Youtu.be/4GUQOKZy41I
Faisal Khan's impressions on Jimny is spot on. But that doesn't make it a bad product, its what it is- small, nimble and capable. Never compare Jimny with a Thar, Jimny is not made for road presence or performance.
Hoping that Maruti will price it sensibly, never touch the Thar pricing band.

There is a rumour that Jimny will be the first vehicle to publish crash test rating under 56 KMPH BNVSAP and will bag 5 star rating there.
Looks like Maruti will make use of less stringent BNVSAP ratings, rather a shortcut than tougher GlobalNCAP tests to paint their cars safer ones.
TorqueIndia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2021, 07:35   #772
Team-BHP Support

Just looking at what the Jimny is as a product and what the Thar is, I sense that if it goes head on with the Thar on price, the Thar will eat it up for breakfast - and deservedly so at that.

If it comes in at say 60% of Thar price, it will have a fighting chance to create a niche of its own for the lifestyle buyer. Neither of these vehicles are very practical and if people are looking for a lifestyle product, a price point that’s meaningfully under the Thar will create its own segment - even if its short strike range, people will likely make the stretch and opt for the more punchy Mahindra.

Pound for pound, it seems evident that the Thar is a FAR superior product (admittedly I say this from what I could see from some of the videos and never having personally seen or driven it) - consequently, the Jimny better be priced WELL BELOW the Thar to make sense in its own right.
Axe77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2021, 10:56   #773
BHPian

Quote:
https://Youtu.be/4GUQOKZy41I
Does the opinion of an idiotic vlogger even matter? Judging a Jimny only on paved roads is the same as judging the drifting ability of a slammed Nissan S15 Silvia by putting it on a Rally stage.

There's a reason the Jimny is popular as it is in the international markets.

On paved roads, the Jimny is not the best car sure, but that's not what it's designed/meant for is it?

The Jimny is meant to be a little off roader that despite it's tiny size, factory street tyres and 100hp Ciaz engine, can keep up with the "Big Dogs" of the off road world like a 270hp Wrangler Rubicon on knobby tyres and a twin turbo V8 G-Wagon on an offroad course (as seen in the video below).

GreasyCarb55 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 18:03   #774
BHPian

On the Jimmy vs thar issue, I’m curious if anyone has driven the thar hard on hill roads. I haven’t had the chance and it looks too heavy and.. top heavy to be fun in the corners.

The old gypsy is awesome on a hill road, you just have to use the accelerator going into a corner to get a little bit of drift. Body roll is manageable. The exhaust note is nice too. Of course outright grip and braking are limited so it’s not a very quick drive, which makes it safer in a way.

My punto is less fun quite honestly, because it’s only fwd, and the punto is a car that people like as a drivers car, so I think that’s saying something.

What other rwd option is there on a budget? None that I can think of.

So if the new jimny isn’t too soft and too prone to body roll, it could be a great road car for those of us who can’t afford a 3 series. Plus it won’t be as bouncy and rickety as the old gypsy.
Vikram9193 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th December 2021, 12:19   #775
Distinguished - BHPian

The reviewer is so right...Jimny can't make a wheelspin, it can't shoot down a straight like a tracer bullet, Engine is so LOUD!, it can't reach top speeds of more than 180kmph, it has loads of bodyroll, it doesn't offer boot space and the rear seat legroom is nothing.

If someone is expecting all the above from the Jimny, it is nothing but foolishness and stupidity.

The video reminded me of this cartoon.
Name:  5232012052424iwsmt.jpeg
Views: 876
Size:  69.5 KB

A Jimny review where the driver doesn't use the 4WD lever, is not a review at all. the second review posted by GreasyCarb55 shows exactly how 4x4 vehicles must be compared/reviewed.

I agree 5-door Jimny for India is needed. I just hope MSIL also gives 3-door option too for people who wish to buy it
hemanth.anand is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 15:19   #776
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram9193 View Post
On the Jimmy vs thar issue, I’m curious if anyone has driven the thar hard on hill roads. I haven’t had the chance and it looks too heavy and.. top heavy to be fun in the corners.

The old gypsy is awesome on a hill road, you just have to use the accelerator going into a corner to get a little bit of drift. Body roll is manageable. The exhaust note is nice too. Of course outright grip and braking are limited so it’s not a very quick drive, which makes it safer in a way.

My punto is less fun quite honestly, because it’s only fwd, and the punto is a car that people like as a drivers car, so I think that’s saying something.

What other rwd option is there on a budget? None that I can think of.

So if the new jimny isn’t too soft and too prone to body roll, it could be a great road car for those of us who can’t afford a 3 series. Plus it won’t be as bouncy and rickety as the old gypsy.
We did a Monsoon Trip to Western Ghats with 3 Thars, 1 being my 2019 CRDe and other two were 2020 Thar Diesel MT and a Petrol AT. The Diesel one had similar characteristics of my CRDe in Hill drive needed downshifting to 2nd gear on steep hairpin bends but the differentiating factor was it was marginally quicker to catch up after the climb, the petrol one was the smoothest and the quickest of all.

Talking about RWD vehicles in Sub-12 Lakhs range, I don't see any option other than the Bolero Neo at the moment. Want a 4X4 in that price range, one has to be dreaming. Cheapest 4X4 that we have today in the market is the Force Gurkha and the lower variant of Thar. There was time when you had Thar CRDe, Gypsy, Bolero 4X4, Safari Dicor, Scoprio S4+ 4X4 variant all in the range of Rs.7-12 Lakhs. The pseudo SUVs or the C-SUV as being termed more often have sadly eaten away the Budgetary RWD vehicles we had and the 4X4s being costlier by a huge margin.

Jimny 5 door version is the ideal one for India and if priced well there's a huge potential to explore by MSIL.
abhikb is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th December 2021, 21:39   #777
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti Suzuki acknowledges the need to launch the 3 door Jimny.

Shashank Srivastava -MSI Senior Executive Director - Sales and Marketing

- It is a segment worth looking into. We have collected some very good feedback from the customers. We are studying this feedback and we will definitely see if we can introduce the product here.

- The volumes are less but such vehicles lift the image of an OEM. At the same time, it also helps support many customer aspirations

-This lifestyle SUV segment is small but there is a class of customers who really want that kind of a vehicle

-Maruti is now looking to consolidate its position in the mid-SUV segment in the country, where its market share in the segment remains low as compared to the rivals

Link
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st December 2021, 17:13   #778
Distinguished - BHPian

Suzuki Jimny again, this time spotted in Mumbai:

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-img20211221wa0002.thumb.jpg.07d6f891b8ca5bdd2dcbe2d84654b310.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 21st December 2021 at 17:14.
volkman10 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2021, 11:15   #779
Senior - BHPian

Suzuki Jimny LHD versions being ready to be shipped from Mumbai port.

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-smartselect_20211223111332_instagram.jpg

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-smartselect_20211223111339_instagram.jpg

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-smartselect_20211223111345_instagram.jpg

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-smartselect_20211223111352_instagram.jpg

Source : PowerDrift
Venkatesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2021, 13:47   #780
BHPian

The rumours for a 5-door Jimny are puzzling to me. Here Suzuki has already built the product, has tested it for Euro NCAP, and has developed a capable 4X4 system and engine combo to work with the car. Why does Maruti feel the need to take an engineered product and try to under/over-engineer it?

If demand for the 3-door Jimny is low, the demand for a 4-person 5-door Jimny will be just as low. Spending R&D money on elongating the Jimny chassis for lifestyle SUV defeats the purpose of the Jimny. The Gypsy was a 3-door and it sold. The Thar has always been a 3-door and is currently a 3-door and it sells. The Gurkha has the dimensions and space for a 5-door, but launched as a 3-door.

It's almost like the people who want to buy a lifestyle SUV are going to buy the car for themselves and not for their family. They already have the family car in the garage. This feels more like an excuse from Maruti's side to create a product that will be overpriced for what it is and be handily beaten by a Bolero, not even the Thar.
BrabarusMark is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks