Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2021, 15:33   #781
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?

Jimny in Bombay but without number plates.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-jim.jpg  

RM Motorsports is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2021, 15:45   #782
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Motorsports View Post
Jimny in Bombay but without number plates.
As Venkatesh posted 2 posts earlier - LHD versions being exported.
Old 23rd December 2021, 17:46   #783
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrabarusMark View Post
If demand for the 3-door Jimny is low, the demand for a 4-person 5-door Jimny will be just as low. Spending R&D money on elongating the Jimny chassis for lifestyle SUV defeats the purpose of the Jimny. The Gypsy was a 3-door and it sold. The Thar has always been a 3-door and is currently a 3-door and it sells. The Gurkha has the dimensions and space for a 5-door, but launched as a 3-door.
You're wrong mate. The Jimny 3-door is not like the Thar 3door.

Jimny is 3550 mm long and has a width of 1645 mm. It's even smaller than a Celerio. Whereas, the Thar 3-door measures 3985 mm in length and 1855 mm in width. The Jimny is a considerably small car.

In the Jimny, It's impossible to sit in the back seat, because it is too cramped and is only good for children. It has only 85 litres of boot space when all seats are up. But in the Thar, you have enough space for 4 adults like most other sub 4m cars. That's why, even though it's a 3-door, people are buying it.

In India, a car with just two usable seats won't work, whether it's a lifestyle SUV or a mass market car. Maruti Suzuki knows the Indian market better than anyone.

I think Suzuki is working on an LWB version of the Jimny 3-door instead of a 5-door just like Gypsy. The Gypsy was, essentially, a long wheelbase version of the Jimny / Samurai 3-door.

The LWB version of Suzuki Jimny has been caught on camera, testing in Europe:

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-img_2021_12_23_17_27_50.jpeg

Last edited by Aditya : 24th December 2021 at 04:51. Reason: Punctuation, grammar
Vignesh Vee is offline   (13) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 24th December 2021, 08:43   #784
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vignesh Vee View Post
I think Suzuki is working on an LWB version of the Jimny 3-door instead of a 5-door just like Gypsy. The Gypsy was, essentially, a long wheelbase version of the Jimny / Samurai 3-door.

The LWB version of Suzuki Jimny has been caught on camera, testing in Europe:

Attachment 2248814
This actually makes more sense than a 5-door Jimny. The Jimny's DNA is to be a 3-door lifestyle SUV. Elongating the chassis to make it viable is a better option than elongating to add more doors to make it a van essentially. Let's hope this what Maruti is doing rather than the other alternative.
Old 24th December 2021, 16:28   #785
BHPian

I personally feel Thar is a looker than Jimmy. By the time Jimmy launch here in India, Mahindra may have the 5 door version ready and capture the market.
Old 27th December 2021, 15:09   #786
BHPian

I never saw a SWB Gypsy in India but saw a lot of them abroad. To the eye the LWB Gypsy was quite a looker with the SWB having its own charm.

Never got to drive an SWB but had the desi Gypsy King with the 1.3 ltr carburettor for many many years and kilometres. Went to places where other SUVs could only dream of thanks to the light weight body, rugged chassis and agile petrol motor. The mighty but simple and robust but extremely low maintenance 4X4 with high and low range fetched the Gypsy a truly deserved mountain goat title.

The customisations one could do to the Gypsy only added to an otherwise fully capable 4X4.

People compare the latest Jimny to the Thar, I don't know why they do that. There is absolutely no point.
Fuldagap is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th December 2021, 16:39   #787
Senior - BHPian

Hardcore 5-door Jimny concept is currently being readied by students from the Nihon Automotive Technology School (NATS) in Japan.

Name:  20211227023828_jimny_concept_1.jpg
Views: 858
Size:  111.7 KB

Name:  20211227023828_jimny_concept.jpg
Views: 892
Size:  108.9 KB

Quote:
The body shell was, meanwhile, sliced in half with custom fabricated rear doors, the roof panelling filling out the void, and the stock Jimny's rear window being re-fabricated into smaller quarter windows. The seats remain on their original mounting points, so while rear legroom is improved over the 3-door, boot space remains negligible with the rear seats up.
Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-smartselect_20211227164104_instagram.jpg

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-smartselect_20211227164114_instagram.jpg

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-smartselect_20211227164122_instagram.jpg

Quote:
only parts of the SUV's bodyshell remain stock. The SUV sits on a customised chassis said to increase the vehicle's length by 400mm with the modified body welded on top of the unit.
Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-smartselect_20211227165913_instagram.jpg

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-smartselect_20211227165922_instagram.jpg

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-smartselect_20211227165940_instagram.jpg

Quote:
The finished project will be on display at the Tokyo Auto Salon in January 2022.

Source

Last edited by Venkatesh : 27th December 2021 at 17:01.
Venkatesh is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th December 2021, 02:23   #788
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ This gives a good idea of what the actual product may look like.

It’s giving off a “limo conversion” project vibe!
Old 28th December 2021, 06:17   #789
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaviGowda View Post
I personally feel Thar is a looker than Jimmy. By the time Jimmy launch here in India, Mahindra may have the 5 door version ready and capture the market.
Yes by the looks of it the LWB 3 Door Jimny is likely to be launched after or maybe just a couple of months before the 5 door Thar but at what cost?

Here in Bangalore the on-road price of a Thar for the base model is around 16.5 Lakh with the top of the line models sitting at almost 19 Lakh OTR, in fact I believe the top end diesel Thar does cross the 19 Lakh OTR mark.

And I have no doubt that the base model 5 door Thar will be priced above their top spec 3 door counterparts so I expect the 5 door models to easily cross the 20 lakh mark in terms of price.

Plus the Jimny is not going to be a CBU or CKD import as Maruti Suzuki already builds right hand drive Jimny's in India for export. All they need to do is to adjust the Jimny to what they want to offer in the Indian version and bada bing bada boom the Jimny is now on sale in India and locally produced.

I could also see Maruti Suzuki undercutting both the Gurkha and Thar in terms of price where they have an LXI base model that sits below 10 lakh OTR, a VXI mid range model just above 10 lakh and price the top spec ZXI Jimny to be around 11-11.5 lakh.

And the Jimny is no slouch off road either, in the video below Carwow put a Mercedes G63 AMG making a whopping 577hp and mind numbing 850nm of torque and a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon making 270hp and 405nm of torque on proper offroad knobbies against a Jimny with street/highway tyres and a measly 100hp engine from a Ciaz but STILL the little Jimny could keep up with the off-road ready American and Ze 4.0L Twin Turbo V8 German.

If I was in the market for a Sub 20 Lakh off roader then I'd skip the base model Thar, get a Jimny at 11-11.5 Lakh and save myself a good 4-5 Lakh.

GreasyCarb55 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th December 2021, 07:25   #790
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyCarb55 View Post
I could also see Maruti Suzuki undercutting both the Gurkha and Thar in terms of price where they have an LXI base model that sits below 10 lakh OTR, a VXI mid range model just above 10 lakh and price the top spec ZXI Jimny to be around 11-11.5 lakh.

And the Jimny is no slouch off road either, in the video below Carwow put a Mercedes G63 AMG making a whopping 577hp and mind numbing 850nm of torque and a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon making 270hp and 405nm of torque on proper offroad knobbies against a Jimny with street/highway tyres and a measly 100hp engine from a Ciaz but STILL the little Jimny could keep up with the off-road ready American and Ze 4.0L Twin Turbo V8 German.

If I was in the market for a Sub 20 Lakh off roader then I'd skip the base model Thar, get a Jimny at 11-11.5 Lakh and save myself a good 4-5 Lakh.

Agree with you about the pricing and Jimmy's off-road capability. But I doubt Maruti would launch it in India for the same price especially after seeing the Thar's success. I guess they may launch at the premium price tag as this will be treated as lifestyle vehicle.

Even, I love to own one if ever they launch it under 10lakh. Let's hope for the best

Last edited by Aditya : 28th December 2021 at 20:26. Reason: Quote tags fixed
RaviGowda is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th December 2021, 12:02   #791
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superleggera View Post
I doubt Jimny will be cheap!. It is not having a VFM pricing even in matured markets. I believe it will be priced north of 20 L.
My take, it will be priced a little more than Brezza. If that happens still it would be great. A little lower than Thar and Gurkha and it should go great guns.
harbinder_s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2021, 13:58   #792
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superleggera View Post
I doubt Jimny will be cheap!.It is not having a VFM pricing even in matured markets. I believe it will be priced north of 20 L.
20L + Ex-Showroom for a lifestyle off-roader the size of a Celerio?

I don't think so, we all know what happened the last 3 times Suzuki tried to launch premium cars in India for around 20 Lakh, so I believe that Maruti Suzuki is gonna be a little more conservative with the pricing this time around.

Cars in order of images:
  1. Suzuki Grand Vitara XL7
  2. Suzuki Grand Vitara
  3. Suzuki Kizashi

All these 3 cars were brilliant, the XL7 and Grand Vitara were great off road and the Kizashi gave the Corolla and Octavia/Laura a run for its money but they all failed because nobody wanted to pay around 20 Lakh for a Maruti.

So if they do price the Jimny like the Thar and Gurkha they are doomed to fail. A more sensible approach would be to price it like the Brezza, starting out below 10 lakh OTR but with the mid range and top end trim levels at 10.5-11 Lakh and 11.5-12 lakh respectively.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-gv.jpg  

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-ngv.jpg  

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-kidfg.jpg  

GreasyCarb55 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2021, 15:18   #793
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyCarb55 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaviGowda View Post
Even, I love to own one if ever they launch it under 10lakh. Let's hope for the best
Quote:
Originally Posted by harbinder_s View Post
My take, it will be priced a little more than Brezza. If that happens still it would be great. A little lower than Thar and Gurkha and it should go great guns.
I think the entry level Jimny at ~10L OTR is what this whole thread is about. Now we all hope that Maruti-Suzuki India board read through this.

Meanwhile we wait, let's hear from Jimny's chief engineer:

And look how the Ladder frame chassis with powetrain components look like:

Also how tyre and suspension upgrades improve a stock Jimny:

carthick1000 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th December 2021, 19:53   #794
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carthick1000 View Post

Also how tyre and suspension upgrades improve a stock Jimny:

https://Youtu.be/XiJ5eYb8PY0
Thank you for mentioning mods for the Jimny, what I wanted to talk about is that given the great aftermarket we have developed for the now discontinued Gypsy, could we see a new regional aftermarket emerge for the Jimny in India or will the existing aftermarket in other countries where the Jimny is sold make it to India? Now the 4th gen Jimny may be a new car for the indian market but we are already familiar what's under the hood, the Suzuki K15B has been powering popular cars like the Brezza/Urban Cruiser, Ertiga/XL6, S-Cross and Ciaz for a couple of years now.

The introduction of the Jimny means not only do we get a brilliant off road vehicle but existing owners of Suzuki's 1.5L K15B may also see a new surge of aftermarket parts, so if the Jimny comes to India in 2022, I expect to see a good number of boosted Brezza's and S-Cross' as well.

There is aftermarket support for the Jimny internationally but mostly to do with suspension, body kits etc and few performance parts. If we do start to see some heavily boosted, home grown performance Jimny's in India then my bet would be on Race Concepts Bengaluru, those madlads have been able to crank out 400hp+ from the Gen 1 Honda City 1.5L and also built the 2020 Indian Touring Car championship winning Honda City.

Last edited by GreasyCarb55 : 28th December 2021 at 19:55. Reason: Slight errors
GreasyCarb55 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th December 2021, 21:51   #795
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Hardcore 5-door Jimny concept is currently being readied by students from the Nihon Automotive Technology School (NATS) in Japan.
Latest development:

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-img20211229wa0067.jpg

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-img20211229wa0068.jpg

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-img20211229wa0071.jpg

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-img20211229wa0070.jpg

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-img20211229wa0069.jpg
Leoshashi is offline   (6) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks