Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2020, 13:03   #451
BANNED

Re: The BS6 Tata Harrier with 6-speed AT. EDIT: Launched @ 13.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_delight View Post

The VFM variant is undoubtedly the XMA, but it would be really good if they launched XMA+. I would be then interested even during this lockdown.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post

That said, I do agree, having an XMA+ (essentially an XMA with a panoramic sunroof) would be a great option to have. Would improve the appeal of the Tata Harrier.
This is one area where Tata have either not done their homework OR are of the assumption that ones who buy their products only buy top trims irrespective of the model. The only car from the Tata stable I see that has decent feature / variant spacing is Nexon. And as we can see Nexon is doing respectable numbers. For instance, for all the buzz around the Altroz with gold standard, the mid variant doesn't even get full wheel covers! Anyone who has seen the XM in flesh with agree with me. Enter their previous flagship Hexa, base variants were initially available only in white and that too with black door handles! Their most recent flagship in the Harrier has a base trim with manual adjusting wing mirrors and white only body color and with black door handles. How will anyone paying 17L be able to justify this?

In short, Tata need to pull up their socks soon and re-jig their variants and equip them with features keeping in mind the segment and not the traditional base-mid-top philosophy!
Kishen.padiyar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2020, 13:11   #452
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishen.padiyar View Post
How will anyone paying 17L be able to justify this?

In short, Tata need to pull up their socks soon and re-jig their variants and equip them with features keeping in mind the segment and not the traditional base-mid-top philosophy!
I think those of us in high tax slab states feel the pinch more than those in say Delhi who pay a lakh or two less than us. Anyhow I think it is now too late for Tata to rejig features in lower variants. The Creta's pricing of under 17 lakh for SX means there will be far few people interested in XE/XM.
Nithesh_M is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2020, 13:21   #453
Distinguished - BHPian

Tata did a better job in 2019 with the Hexa variants to respond to market dynamics. They introduced the XM+ variant mid cycle with features such as LED DRLs, reverse parking camera. Auto AC etc. with only a small price premium. The market is waiting for TATA to do the same this time with the Harrier. They are being very lethargic this time.

The 5 lakh price difference is too much, between the two end of the Auto spectrum with only one variant in between (XZA) that is too close to XZA+. There is space for two additional variants in between, like XMA+ and XTA. TATA are probably losing a number of customers in the gap between XMA and XZA. The price skimming has already happened and whoever is tempted and able to spend to stretch to the XZA have done so. Now those customers left with a budget in the gap between 20 and 24 lakhs may turn to the Hector+, the top end Creta or some other car.

They could step it in 1.5 lakh increments between the first two steps and 1 lakh increment for the last step(this last step exists already). There is also an opportunity to move the whole price spectrum down by a lakh or so, considering the dull market situation post COVID. That would make an XTA very competitive at close to 20 lakhs on road.

XMA -> XMA+ -> XTA -> XZA -> XZA+

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 13th July 2020 at 13:28.
84.monsoon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th July 2020, 14:41   #454
BHPian

Apart from introducing new variants like XMA+, XTA/XTA+ and rejigging features in lower variants in Harrier, they need to do some price correction too, keeping in mind the competition. They should stop feature deletion(like puddle lamps are no more). Also, they should focus on 'Indian Brand' while advertising.

Instead of giving offers later on, Harrier's pricing should be corrected. Not because it is very high, but due to competition's pricing.

For example: MG Hector top variant(Sharp-manual) costs 17.88 lac ex-showroom. Harrier XZ+ dark edition costs 18.95 lac ex-showroom. XZ+ costs 18.75L
Even Hector Plus which has been just launched today has top variant price of 18.53 lac.

An 'average' customer comparing black hector+(launched today) vs harrier will see that Hector Plus Sharp provides everything what Harrier XZ+ provides, plus provides a lot more 'visible' features and still costs 40,000 lesser.
Advantage Hector Plus: extra seats, 360 degrees camera, longer car, connected car features, bigger/fancier infotainment system, rear disc brakes, TPMS, power adjustable co-driver seat, along with a 'fancy' new feature: opening boot by foot-swipe etc

Hector top-end provides all these extra features while costing 1 lac lesser.

Most average customers are not going to see that Harrier provides 14 ESP modes or it provides terrain response modes(rough/normal/wet) or engine drive modes(city/eco/sport) or harrier is more stable at 100+ speed.

So a person looking at price range till 15-17 lac ex-showroom is swayed away by Creta/Seltos because Harrier in this range is not properly loaded and ones having more budget are being swayed away by hector.

Will be interesting to see how Tata will price Gravitas given that Hector Plus top variant is cheaper than even Harrier XZ+ by 40,000 while providing lot more 'visible' features.

Last edited by SahilS : 13th July 2020 at 14:57.
SahilS is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 13th July 2020, 18:21   #455

Got this on my Tata Group email today.
Attached Thumbnails
The BS6 Tata Harrier with 6-speed AT. EDIT: Launched @ 13.69 lakhs-20200713_181951.jpg  

anasmundackal is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th July 2020, 20:28   #456
Senior - BHPian

The BS6 Tata Harrier with 6-speed AT. EDIT: Launched @ 13.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SahilS View Post
Apart from introducing new variants like XMA+, XTA/XTA+ and rejigging features in lower variants in Harrier, they need to do some price correction too, keeping in mind the competition. They should stop feature deletion(like puddle lamps are no more). Also, they should focus on 'Indian Brand' while advertising..

I think the Harrier has to undergo a price correction, if Tata wants to give this another chance. Seltos, 2020 Creta and the Hector may be all very different cars from the Harrier, but the fact is that in the consumers mind they are all part of the same segment of SUVs between 12-20 lakhs. Currently, the Harrier literally starts where the top end models of Creta and Seltos exist. Also, for a car that sells in such less numbers, why complicate by having so many variants? You just have one diesel manual and one diesel Automatic combo, and we can see nearly 14 variants listed as on date. First, they need to drop the XE variant, similar to how Compass phased out the Sport and got the Sport plus. When a car starts at 17-18 lakhs, customers expect it to have decent kit, unlike the XE variant which almost seems like its been made for fleet operators! And second, have fewer variants, 4 manual variants and 2 Auto variants at best, and target on road of 17-22 lakhs with decent kit. Then, there would be buyers who will surely consider the Harrier instead of the Seltos, Creta and even the Hector. Also, this price correction also means that the Gravitas can come and occupy the 20-25 lakhs slot, just at par with the Innova Crysta,or as a 7 seat alternative to the Jeep Compass. Tata have to do this now, else the Harrier would become another Aria.
motorworks is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 13th July 2020, 21:48   #457
BHPian

Tata motors main issue is it's slow to react to the market. Personally I feel they have missed out on a flat folding third row which would have made it it an extremely e affordable 7 seater. Most of the people who use the XUV reserve the third row for the kids and the harrier could have just easily taken this low hanging fruit. The gravitas does not clearly make any sense with 7seater hexa in the product line. Also the discontinuation of the Safari storme is is another decision taken without foresight, it was a cheap 4 x 4 alternative and could have just been given a facelift both exterior and interior to compete with the Scorpio and would have raked in decent numbers.
Old 13th July 2020, 23:13   #458
BHPian

I was reading this Harrier BS6 ground clearance of 150 mm

any idea how practical it is?
Old 14th July 2020, 12:36   #459
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Also, for a car that sells in such less numbers, why complicate by having so many variants? You just have one diesel manual and one diesel Automatic combo, and we can see nearly 14 variants listed as on date.
Agreed. Sometimes I feel Harrier is competing with the Range Rover Velar which was launched with some 25 variants! Even the Seltos has so many variants with different permutations & combinations mainly due to the 3 engine options, which isn't the case with the Harrier. Sometimes I miss the good old days when most cars were launched in only 3 variants (base/mid/top).
Old 14th July 2020, 13:12   #460
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihrishi View Post
Ladies and Gentlemen - Let me proudly introduce a new member! Please put your hands together for ....Velocita!
Heartiest congratulations Hrushi. It has been a slow, agonising wait but I'm sure it was worth the wait.
It is a a wonderful car and the color is lovely too. Wishing you miles of happy memories with the car.
hiren.mistry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2020, 13:35   #461
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Agreed. Sometimes I feel Harrier is competing with the Range Rover Velar which was launched with some 25 variants! Even the Seltos has so many variants with different permutations & combinations mainly due to the 3 engine options, which isn't the case with the Harrier. Sometimes I miss the good old days when most cars were launched in only 3 variants (base/mid/top).
You have VAG group sticking to 3 or less variants Trendline/Comfortline/Highline
Sport/L&K

Only a recent phenomenon this, w.r.t too many variants. ALso, you'd be surprised to know that some customers are asking for more harrier variants in between XM and XZ.
TokyoDrifter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2020, 19:26   #462
Senior - BHPian

Hello bhpians.

It's time to rejoice for those who badly wanted Tata to introduce more variants of the Harrier.

Just confirmed from my sources that Tata will be launching XTA/XT+ variants of the Harrier in the next couple of months. The XT+ variant will come with a panoramic sunroof as standard so those who want their Harrier with a sunroof need not stretch their budget too far.

The XTA variant is likely to skip this feature so automatic buyers would likely have to go for the top end variant to get the sunroof.

So looks like Tata is taking the feedback from our forum very seriously.
ram87pune is offline   (38) Thanks
Old 14th July 2020, 21:15   #463
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Agreed. Sometimes I feel Harrier is competing with the Range Rover Velar which was launched with some 25 variants!
And, how's that a bad thing? Isn't more the merrier? This is what worked for Creta and this is what is working for Seltos. If you noticed, Venue doesn't have as many variants and I wonder if that's one of the reasons Venue isn't selling as much as Creta/Seltos.
pgsagar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2020, 21:39   #464
Senior - BHPian

The BS6 Tata Harrier with 6-speed AT. EDIT: Launched @ 13.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
And, how's that a bad thing? Isn't more the merrier? This is what worked for Creta and this is what is working for Seltos. If you noticed, Venue doesn't have as many variants and I wonder if that's one of the reasons Venue isn't selling as much as Creta/Seltos.

The Creta and the Seltos have multiple Engine and Gear box combinations, if I remember correctly, there are two petrols with two different types of ATs and then there is a diesel AT, and of course Manual Variants in each of these three engines. So 6 variants just purely for the engine and different gearbox combinations, and others basis features. However with the Harrier, there is just one Diesel manual and one Auto, so effectively 2 combinations, which ideally should have about 6-7 variants, or may be 8. But the current listing shows some 12 or 14 variants!

And the number of variants do not determine sales. Forget Venue as an example, the segment leader in the under 4m SUV, Brezza has just 3-4 variants and just diesel! Sure, Maruti is an exception, but if you also look at most other cars, variant list is fairly short unless they have different engine gear box combinations or different seating options like the Innova. Not saying that reducing the variant list will help sales of the Harrier, but rather they should equip their base variants better and also in the process knock off a few and make it less confusing for the customers.
motorworks is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th July 2020, 22:12   #465
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
I think the Harrier has to undergo a price correction, if Tata wants to give this another chance. Seltos, 2020 Creta and the Hector may be all very different cars from the Harrier, but the fact is that in the consumers mind they are all part of the same segment of SUVs between 12-20 lakhs.
My thoughts as well. The Harrier, if priced about 2 lakhs lesser variant to variant (with the XE variant removed once and for all), it would pull a lot many customers from Creta and Hector. I will surely be one of them. Giving discounts look bad from a customer point of view, it doesn't inspire confidence. But a reduced ex-showroom price does wonders. Hope Tata does some kind of reduction in their ex showroom prices. They should try to play in volumes, and not just value. That way, even dealers will be happy with increased numbers.
TD_GHY is offline   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks