Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2023, 05:28   #286
BHPian

re: Honda's new SUV for India | EDIT: Named Elevate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleueNinja View Post
People want Sunroof, ADAS or 360 degree camera when they don’t even have a real world scenario usage for it. It’s just that since one brand is offering it another should as well.
This is a fact. However, the truth is 360 camera is rarely needed and no ADAS is better than IMPERFECT ADAS. I feel the "heads up display" is unnecessary too.
Sumedik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2023, 09:27   #287
BHPian

My opinion is Honda go full guns in. Use the hybrid engine for a fully( or close to fully ) kitted SUV. They are in need of an image makeover at this point. Remake the brand image, create interest with a semi-halo product and then go for mass market, mini, cheaper suv lineups. At this point Honda cars(any of them) are not common to spot in my city as they used to be.
This ideally needs to target the grand vitara/Toyota twins and not the creta. Going for segment leaders like the creta is not the way to go for Honda at this time. They can't target xuv700 or mg hector. Only the Toyota hybrid is their option.
Old 4th May 2023, 09:50   #288
BHPian

Honda has a very good opportunity here, where they can target a very broad range of customers. The non-hybrid, NA version with decent kit, can slot in at sub 15 lakh range to target customers who want no-frills, solid Vtec CSuv with low running and can bring numbers. The hybrid, fully-loaded version can fit in ~20 lakh bracket, to target higher end of market, who have higher running and new technology enthusiasts, who wont mind paying for features.

Last edited by Caffeinated : 4th May 2023 at 09:53.
Caffeinated is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2023, 10:17   #289
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Honda Elevate it is.
Press Release

Honda Cars India Ltd. (HCIL), leading manufacturer of premium cars in India, today announced that its upcoming All New SUV will be named as Honda Elevate. Developed as a global model, the All New Elevate is Honda’s brand new mid-size SUV which will have its World Premiere in India next month.

Honda Elevate has been developed as a new global model in Honda’s line-up to cater to the robust demand for SUVs world-wide. The new model incorporates people’s lifestyle requirements and their expectations for Honda’s New SUV. India will be the first market to launch the Honda Elevate.

Last edited by Venkatesh : 4th May 2023 at 10:19.
Venkatesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2023, 10:45   #290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumedik View Post
This is a fact. However, the truth is 360 camera is rarely needed and no ADAS is better than IMPERFECT ADAS. I feel the "heads up display" is unnecessary too.
360 camera is really useful, especially for parking in tight spaces. Has really saved me a lot of time and headache. Plus, good for blindspot monitoring as well, that's an added bonus for sure.

Sunroof is generally useless, I can absolutely live without this. Nobody is going to use this, and if they do, generally they do incredibly stupid stunts is what I have observed.
epiccross is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th May 2023, 11:02   #291
Distinguished - BHPian

Honda Elevate likely to be sold in Japan too.

- More compact than the Vezel/HR-V (~ 4.2- 4.3 m in length)
- Vehicle width of ~1700mm,
- 17" Alloy wheels
- LED headlights
- FWD only
- Horizontal LED DRL's similar to HR-V
- LED seem to be of reflector type
- In Japan it will rival Toyota Raize, Daihatsu Rocky and Subaru REX
- 1.5L i-VTEC, NA engine with 6MT and CVT
- A-SUV e:HEV with dual motor or a A-SUV Hybrid with single motor is possible

Pic for ref.
Honda's new SUV for India | EDIT: Named Elevate-20220327_newvezel4.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 4th May 2023 at 11:11.
volkman10 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 4th May 2023, 11:23   #292

Re: Honda's new SUV for India | EDIT: Named Elevate

This is so perfect description (in my view) of what customers want! Thanks

I hope you work for Honda and they listen to you!

Quote:
  1. Looks/Road presence : This matters to us a lot. Specially in this day and age. Thar is not selling like hot cakes because we need 4*4 but because of its imposing looks and road presence. One of the main reason why Taigun/Kushaq couldn’t really make a dent in Korean twins sales was that it barely looked like a “SUV” but charged the amount that you would pay for a SUV. This upcoming SUV from Honda needs to look the part, I mean it can Atleast be as big as Creta or Seltos?
  2. Feature Set :- The more the merrier. The perceived value you get out of a car for Indian car market is to get more out of your money for the features that you can see. Even if the car is built to perfection but if it doesn’t have features being offered by competitors it won’t work.
    People want Sunroof, ADAS or 360 degree camera when they don’t even have a real world scenario usage for it. It’s just that since one brand is offering it another should as well.
PragRunner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2023, 11:40   #293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBX View Post
Opinion: Honda's reluctance to release a turbo petrol is not due to NVH, driveability, reliability or any such reason. It is simply a reluctance to invest in the Indian market due to perceived risks and low profit expectations.
And how can we forget that Honda makes engines for the F1, Red Bull racing team? They made F1's smallest, turbo petrol engine that produces more than 1000 HP!

Honda can make whatever petrol engine they want to make. The problem is in "wanting", not in making.

How honda made its 2021 f1-engine smaller than size zero
shobhit.shri is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th May 2023, 11:45   #294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My two cents is that when it come to mass segment then people mostly aren’t really concerned with what the engine configuration is but the fuel type and how much efficiency they can get out of it.

People can have preference of Petrol/Diesel/CNG/Hybrid or EV but rarely has anyone ever come and suggested that X car is 1.0 Turbo engine and Y is 1.2 NA Engine and they are concerned about it. Hence, Honda sticking with 1.5 iVtec isn’t really a matter of concern but not offering a Diesel option alongside might affect them.

Few factors which generally makes or breaks a car in Indian car industry are :
  1. Looks/Road presence : This matters to us a lot. Specially in this day and age. Thar is not selling like hot cakes because we need 4*4 but because of its imposing looks and road presence. One of the main reason why Taigun/Kushaq couldn’t really make a dent in Korean twins sales was that it barely looked like a “SUV” but charged the amount that you would pay for a SUV. This upcoming SUV from Honda needs to look the part, I mean it can Atleast be as big as Creta or Seltos?
  2. Feature Set :- The more the merrier. The perceived value you get out of a car for Indian car market is to get more out of your money for the features that you can see. Even if the car is built to perfection but if it doesn’t have features being offered by competitors it won’t work.

The above two factors when combined gives you your “VFM”. Indians aren’t stingy it’s just that they want maximum value out of their investment per se. Honda brand name carries a value and I think people can pay for it as long as those potential customer don’t walk out of Honda showroom into a Hyundai/Kia showroom and get a list handed to them by the grim salesman at Korean twins which contains a list of features that the Honda SUV doesn’t have.

Cheers!
This is spot on in terms of what determines success for a 'SUV' in Indian market, everything else is secondary.

I don't understand why VW and Skoda after all the research could not make their 2.0 SUVs similar size or slightly bigger than the Korean twins - and by size, I just don't mean the length, its the overall proportions including height and width which gives the car a better road presence. May be there were limitations with the platform itself, not sure. I think Maruti and Toyota did a better job in this aspect, though the Koreans still score higher in terms of road presence.

From what I read here about the Honda SUV, Honda seems to be making the same mistake and the Elevate will probably be half-a-size smaller than the Creta and Seltos - if that's the case, this is pretty much doomed. Why is no manufacturer able to make a SUV in this segment which is slightly bigger than the Creta and Seltos - is this so difficult?Road presence is the No.1 selling factor for a SUV, period followed by fancy features and feel-good interiors. Nobody (>90% people )cares about handling, performance etc.
adimicra is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 4th May 2023, 11:49   #295

Adding my 2 cents to people here talking about turbo vs NA. I was one of the earliest owners of Skoda Slavia (1L turbo AT top variant). I have put up a review also for the same in one of the forums. I bought it in Mar 22 and sold it in Feb 23. It was a gun to drive no 2 ways about it but it was a giving me a fuel efficiency of 6-7 kmpl in city and max 12 on highways. I know people will talk about driving styles and the fact that it could have increased if I had persisted with it for longer (it was due for first service in a month's time) and I am sure there could have been a slight improvement.

But there is no doubt that turbo's are not fuel efficient and for everything that car manufacturers claim these days, the on road reality is very different. Off course there are other reasons also for selling my Slavia, like creaking sounds from interiors and other small niggles and to a larger extent my immediate financial requirement.

Now I was inclining or forced rather towards buying one of Creta/Harrier/MG Hector and this news has come as boon for a dying soul! I have already made multiple enquiries at Magnum honda Kanakapura road branch in Bangalore and have told them to inform me as soon as pre-bookings open.

In my opinion, Honda will have a winner in hand if they can satisfy the following criteria,

Build quality - better than kia/seltos
Fuel efficiency - better than vw/taigun
Features - equal to creta

ADAS and hybrid power train will hit it out of the park!
AKSwamy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th May 2023, 13:36   #296
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnsood View Post
I am looking to move from 2010 Honda Jazz which recently completed 2 lakh KM's. Hopefully, this will be a good product.

In the meantime, still holding onto my Seltos and Creta booking.
At 13 years and 2L kms its a great time( maybe within a year) to say goodbye to your Jazz(Not sure if the 15 year petrol rule applies to NCR as well?).

I for one would not even consider the koreans due to their safety creds. So its either VW/Skoda twins or Maryti/Toyota G.Vitara/Hyryder for now. The former obviously have their own set of reliability issues while the latter are kinda timid as per most reviews. Am hopeful for Honda Elevate to bridge that gap. Let's see.
SoumenD is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 4th May 2023, 13:47   #297

Quote:
I am looking to move from 2010 Honda Jazz which recently completed 2 lakh KM's. Hopefully, this will be a good product.

In the meantime, still holding onto my Seltos and Creta booking.

Almost in the same boat. Looking to replace my 2011 Jazz with 1L km on the odo. Its a beauty, no niggles whatsoever. Still holding on to my XUV700 booking though Honda is definitely more reliable in the long run. Hope Elevate is atleast the same size as Seltos and this time Honda doesn’t disappoint with the features.
karanwalia is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2023, 14:21   #298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
At 13 years and 2L kms its a great time( maybe within a year) to say goodbye to your Jazz(Not sure if the 15 year petrol rule applies to NCR as well?).

I for one would not even consider the koreans due to their safety creds. So its either VW/Skoda twins or Maryti/Toyota G.Vitara/Hyryder for now. The former obviously have their own set of reliability issues while the latter are kinda timid as per most reviews. Am hopeful for Honda Elevate to bridge that gap. Let's see.
Yes I am in Noida so 15 year rule is making me change. Had the rule not being there, I can easily continue with Jazz for another 5-6 years.

I checked all and everything is asking me to compromise on one or other things:

Seltos Creta for safety ratings and brakes. I have taken both test drives and still can't believe in their brakes.
VW/Skoda for AC. Even 1.5 has below par ac.
Grand Vitara engines are too slow to my liking. I am sedate driver and this car that makes the once in blue moon rush too boring.

I hope Honda brings the car with City 5th gen look and feel and I will buy it.
sunnsood is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th May 2023, 14:54   #299

Quote:
I checked all and everything is asking me to compromise on one or other things:
Totally agree and feel your sentiment. Though there are several options, each has its own list of limitations which makes them uncompelling. The Diesel/Petrol to EV transition phase adds to the confusion which makes it extremely difficult for me to make a choice. Hope this Elevate SUV proves to be a decent option with good build quality and comfort.
MysticMind is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2023, 16:40   #300
BHPian

I had booked Suzuki Jimny and was planning to move from Honda city iVTEC - 2009 model. I bought city when it was just launched, seems like Honda elevate will be interesting competitor to evaluate before going for Jimny. If priced right, it will be Honda elevate for me.
With all wrong noise on pricing for Jimny, i was seriously evaluating Creta, but it seems Honda wont let their loyal customer go to other brands.
jimmzbond is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks