Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2023, 18:44   #241
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Honda's new SUV for India | EDIT: Named Elevate

Honda Compact SUV testing continues – Interiors spied.
Quote:
Honda new compact SUV is expected to be offered with only a petrol engine. It is likely to be a 1.5-litre NA petrol motor. Top-spec variants are expected to get hybrid powertrain based on the same engine. The 1.5-litre engine could be tweaked in line with the needs of the SUV.
Honda's new SUV for India | EDIT: Named Elevate-2023hondacompactsuvindiaspiedinteriors9747x420.jpg

Honda's new SUV for India | EDIT: Named Elevate-2023hondacompactsuvindiaspiedinteriors41068x601.jpg

Honda's new SUV for India | EDIT: Named Elevate-2023hondacompactsuvindiaspiedinteriors31068x601.jpg

Honda's new SUV for India | EDIT: Named Elevate-2023hondacompactsuvindiaspiedinteriors2747x420.jpg

Honda's new SUV for India | EDIT: Named Elevate-2023hondacompactsuvindiaspiedinteriors5747x420-1.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 30th April 2023 at 18:49.
volkman10 is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 1st May 2023, 12:38   #242
Senior - BHPian

New Honda SUV global debut in India on June 6, will go on sale only in August 2023.

Honda's new SUV for India | EDIT: Named Elevate-20230428032206_honda__suv_orange_003.jpg

Quote:
- could get the “Honda Elevate” moniker.

- includes a 10.2-inch touchscreen.

- Based on the Honda City platform.

- Will come with only 1.5 petrol at launch, No strong hybrid, no diesel options.

- strong-hybrid line-up will arrive a little later.

- Honda plans to build as many as 8,000 units of this SUV a month.

- It is likely to be priced at a slight premium over its rivals, somewhere in the Rs 12 lakh-19 lakh price range.
Source

Last edited by Venkatesh : 1st May 2023 at 12:44.
Venkatesh is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 1st May 2023, 15:20   #243
Distinguished - BHPian

Honda's SUV (~ 4.3m) will have a high local content.

Name:  Screenshot 20230501 152003.png
Views: 1052
Size:  45.3 KB
volkman10 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 1st May 2023, 16:16   #244
Senior - BHPian

It's not whether Honda can be cost competitive with the scale planned. It's about if they want to be and history suggests otherwise. Like any business, Honda will try best to get maximum for their product. It very well knows (thinks) that for an apple to apple comparison, people will pay 50-70k more than the Korean rivals (relatively lame NA engine) and definitely more than the euro twins (as Honda AC works).

However it needs to understand that the Koreans will have the turbo within striking distance of Honda's 1.5 NA and that will be big draw towards the Koreans if Honda is not careful. Plus euros also are starting to get the 1.5 TSI in their mid variant lineup, so there will be cross shopping.

Honda shouldn't cheapen out on the sheet metal. Rust issues on them are a common phenomena. For a change, get inspired from the Indian manufacturers on build quality. Honda can surely screw things well.

If the Oct 2023 rule of 6 airbags is expected not to be pushed, Honda better start the base model with 6 bags.

India has long proven its preference for value products and shown the door to cheapened ones.

Last edited by Axe77 : 2nd May 2023 at 09:30. Reason: Typos.
dipen is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 1st May 2023, 18:47   #245
BHPian

I hope this one does not get lost in the crowd. Absolutely nothing wrong with the 1.5 NA engine but it's 2023 and competition has spoiled the buyers by offering some fantastic engines also high on figures. Only those who were really waiting for the HR-V may actually go and have a look at this one. I hope to be proven otherwise and hope this turns out to be a competent all round product. But, Honda is perfectly capable of shooting itself in the foot!
Dead_Pedal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2023, 19:51   #246
BHPian

I had gone in for my City 5th gen's 3rd service last week and casually asked about the new SUV. Here in Bombay it seems the dealer has already started taking booking amounts for the new SUV, I was casually prodded by the SA to make a booking. but they do not have details other than what is floating around on the www. I tried prodding them to show some pictures/specs if any, but was strongly denied.

I would be in the market some time later this year to replace my ageing WagonR (will be 11 years this October), I hope Honda comes up with a delicious offering. It would be lovely to have 2 I-VTecs in the house hold

Last edited by Dieseltuned : 1st May 2023 at 19:53.
Dieseltuned is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st May 2023, 21:29   #247
Senior - BHPian

20 odd lac OTR for a 1.5 NA petrol ? Especially when more versatile options like the Carens and Alcazar have much more powerful engines available for a few lac more ? And possiblly Seltos and Creta too, not to mention the Skoda/VW capabilities !

I think the game has really moved on for Honda to even try unless they bring in a lot of VFM. No one would bank on just the smoothness and reliability of their powertrains when people change cars every 4-5 years, for which any OEM has fully competent offerings.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 1st May 2023 at 21:31.
fhdowntheline is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2023, 09:23   #248
Distinguished - BHPian

Honda refuses to learn!

They are still stuck on their 20 year old iVTEC, while the competition has moved on. The new gen turbo petrols from Hyundai offer almost 40% more power and double the torque. And on top of everything, they have the audacity of suggesting a Honda premium!! Go ahead, do it, see what happens. City sells because it is priced cheaper than the others. Sales have picked up because they didn’t really increase their prices anywhere as much as the others, essentially implementing a price correction.

All this gives me déjà vu. Honda basically killed Jazz and WRV itself by stubbornly not offering the automatic option, the 1.5 engine and the diesel automatic option, all of which they had available at hand. They need to realise that the hybrid powertrain needs to be their engine of choice going forward, and that needs to be available in all variants from Day 1. And it can’t be obnoxiously overpriced like we saw in the City.

They better sort out their suspensions while they are at it. City is already the worst in its class, and it will be disaster if they mess it up further while raising the ride height. Every single mid sized crossover rides and handles well today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
20 odd lac OTR for a 1.5 NA petrol ? Especially when more versatile options like the Carens and Alcazar have much more powerful engines available for a few lac more ? And possiblly Seltos and Creta too, not to mention the Skoda/VW capabilities !
They are talking about premium pricing. So, that few lakh more may actually be a few thousand here and there.

Quote:
I think the game has really moved on for Honda to even try unless they bring in a lot of VFM. No one would bank on just the smoothness and reliability of their powertrains when people change cars every 4-5 years, for which any OEM has fully competent offerings.
VW TSi engines are equally smooth. Hyundai engines are even smoother, they have best in class refinement. Honda does not have a monopoly on making reliable and refined powertrains. This reputation is a relic that comes from comparison with the competition of 10-15 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
Honda shouldn't cheapen out on the sheet metal. Rust issues on them are a common phenomena. For a change, get inspired from the Indian manufacturers on build quality. Honda can surely screw things well.
India has long proven its preference for value products and shown the door to cheapened ones.
Critical point. Of all the cars I have owned, no one has rusted anywhere as badly as the City. Not even close. Every car they want to compete with is well built. The Skoda VW cars actually come with a 6 year anti corrosion warranty.

Last edited by Aditya : 2nd May 2023 at 19:09. Reason: As requested
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (37) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2023, 11:21   #249
Distinguished - BHPian

Honda Elevate, showcased to dealers ahead of launch

pic for reference only
Honda's new SUV for India | EDIT: Named Elevate-hondaelevatecompactsuvindialaunch.jpg

Honda's new SUV for India | EDIT: Named Elevate-hondaelevatecompactsuv768x469.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 2nd May 2023 at 11:25.
volkman10 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2023, 11:23   #250
BHPian

This car is a "hope'' for revitalizing the Honda India brand. I hope this will sell well, reasons:

1. There is still a song fanbase for Honda brand, who did not get a SUV option from Honda till now. They will get it now and leap it up. Example: Myself+ few friends

2. Very pleasing styling, Nice equipment's on offer, MT & CVT.

3. AP2 (1.5L) is gem of an engine with good mileage. Certainly proven in 5th Gen city.

4. Honda is not eying very high volume in India, majority of plant capacity are reserved for export. Localization is high so Honda will get benefitted in exports. City export has already started and ramping up.

5. SOP will start in June, Sale could be from July 2023.

PS: Pricing range could be set considering Creta/Seltos. All showrooms are in rejuvenation mode as well to provide good customer experience, Hope they will invest in staffing too.

Last edited by UD17 : 2nd May 2023 at 11:25.
UD17 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2023, 12:06   #251
BHPian

Hello, I love my City's iVtech engine and for some reasons I don't like small capacity turbo petrol engines (e.g. 1.0 litre).

I am surprised with the fact that most of us cribbing Honda for continuing with 1.5 iVtech engine, but on the other hands says that it is the most sorted NA engine in India.

If new SUV of Honda is priced close to Creta / Seltos etc. pricing, it will sell well. I am not sure, but I have a strong feeling that sale of Turbo petrol engines of Creta / Seltos will not be more than 25% to 30% of total monthly sale.

Also I am curious with some members comments that Honda's new SUV is based on City, whereas I am given to understand that it will be based Amaze platform, not City.

I also feel that if Honda launch Jazz Sports Line (possibly with different name) with City engine, both MT & CVT transmission and sell at Hyundai i20 N Line price, it will be superhit.
GoBabyGo is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2023, 12:29   #252
Distinguished - BHPian

Honda's SUV for India to have design cues from HR-V?:

Honda's new SUV for India | EDIT: Named Elevate-screenshot-20230502-122908.png

Last edited by volkman10 : 2nd May 2023 at 12:32.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2023, 13:22   #253
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBabyGo View Post

I am surprised with the fact that most of us cribbing Honda for continuing with 1.5 iVtech engine, but on the other hands says that it is the most sorted NA engine in India.
Most of the cribbing is due to Honda's reluctance to not launch their turbo petrols here.

But what most people seem to forget is that, if we get a Honda turbo petrol, rest assured it would be the 1.0l 3 pot instead of the much acclaimed 1.5l 4pot turbo petrol.

Though I would gladly swallow my words if Honda launches their 1.5l turbo petrol in their newer models, since the City and Elevate(?) is going to be their top tier models for the foreseeable future.
DicKy is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2023, 13:36   #254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Most of the cribbing is due to Honda's reluctance to not launch their turbo petrols here.

But what most people seem to forget is that, if we get a Honda turbo petrol, rest assured it would be the 1.0l 3 pot instead of the much acclaimed 1.5l 4pot turbo petrol.

Though I would gladly swallow my words if Honda launches their 1.5l turbo petrol in their newer models, since the City and Elevate(?) is going to be their top tier models for the foreseeable future.
Hi DicKy - 1 litre 3 pot petrol engine is just not suitable for India in my view. 1.5L Turbo Petrol of Honda will be suitable for a SUV costing 30 lacs+ ex-showroom. But honestly even if they put in Elevate(?), very few will buy as it will be expensive and may not be fuel efficient like their 1.5L NA engine.

I still feel Honda 1.5L NA engine is just perfect for a car or SUV weight under 1300kgs.
GoBabyGo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2023, 13:58   #255
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBabyGo View Post
Hi DicKy - 1 litre 3 pot petrol engine is just not suitable for India in my view. 1.5L Turbo Petrol of Honda will be suitable for a SUV costing 30 lacs+ ex-showroom. But honestly even if they put in Elevate(?), very few will buy as it will be expensive and may not be fuel efficient like their 1.5L NA engine.

I still feel Honda 1.5L NA engine is just perfect for a car or SUV weight under 1300kgs.
Exactly why Honda is deliberating on whether or not to launc the 1.0l turbo petrol. The 1.0l turbo petrol derived from their kei car engines were offered mainly for compliance/ tax limits in Europe and Thailand. In the real world, there isn't much gain over the 1.5l NA, except for the Turbo bragging/marketing rights. At the same time, the 1.5l turbo petrol maybe deemed to be cost prohibitive for sub 30 lakh segment. Having said that, with Hyundai-Kia and VAG offering 1.5l turbo petrol in the sub 20 lakh segment, Honda has less of an excuse not to.

Agreed that the Honda 1.5l NA engine is perfect for vehicles under 1300kg, just like the Maruti K12 is for vehicles under 900kg.

Last edited by DicKy : 2nd May 2023 at 13:59.
DicKy is online now   (6) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks