Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2022, 23:07   #5746
BHPian

Re: What is your Actual Fuel Efficiency?

1. 2021 Honda City 5th Gen ZX CVT (Yokohama Earth1 205/50/R16; front-32psi, rear-30psi; with 4 passengers, boot filled to the brim on highway trips and A/C on throughout)
Dehradun-Noida (235kms) - 20kmpl
Jodhpur-Dehradun (920kms) - 18.2kmpl
City commute (pathetic bumper to bumper traffic) - 12kmpl

2. 2018 KTM Duke 390 (Apollo Alpha H1 110/70 R17 & 150/60 R17 ; front-29psi, rear-32psi; fully loaded with saddlebags and tailbag on highway trips)
Dehradun-Noida (235kms) - 28.5kmpl
City commute (pathetic bumper to bumper traffic) - 24kmpl

3. 2005 Honda City GXi (some Michelin 185/70 R14; front-32psi, rear-30psi)
City commute - 9.5-10kmpl

PS - All figures are measured tankful to tankful
Old 24th September 2022, 22:17   #5747
BHPian

2021 Honda City 5th Gen ZX CVT with Yokohama Earth1 205/50 R16 running recommended F-32psi and R-30psi. The frugality of the silky smooth iVTEC+CVT combo doesn't cease to amaze me !

Had to make a short work trip to Gurgaon and back yesterday. Average speeds were low due to continuous rains and the usual heavy and slow moving traffic on Muzaffarnagar-Meerut stretch. The car surprisingly returned excellent FE despite facing Gurgaon's notorious waterlogged roads and traffic jams. I have successfully managed to get a car that doesn't fail to deliver a smile to my face everytime I drive.
Got back home and tanked up to find the magical number of 19.1kmpl as per tankful to tankful. The MID is very accurate, showing a close 19.3kmpl.
Attached Images

Yash390 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2022, 13:11   #5748
Senior - BHPian

Off Topic:

Designed to run for just six months, ISRO's Mars Orbiter Mission (MOM) went around the red planet for eight years before calling it a day.

Reports say that the mission
Quote:
may have finally ended its long run when it's Mars Orbiter spacecraft ran out of fuel and its battery discharged past the safe limit
Right now
Quote:
"...there is no fuel left. The satellite battery has drained," PTI was informed by sources within the Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO).
Quote:
"...recently there were back-to-back eclipses including one that lasted seven-and-half hours...all the fuel on board the ageing satellite had been used. As the satellite battery is designed to handle eclipse duration of only about one hour and 40 minutes, a longer eclipse would drain the battery beyond the safe limit," another official stated.

According to ISRO authorities, the Mars orbiter vehicle operated much over its intended mission life of six months, lasting almost eight years.
Could we not say then, in line with Maruti, that for a country obsessed with mileage, ISRO makes some of world's most fuel efficient satellites?

dailydriver is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th October 2022, 08:45   #5749

Jeep Compass Model S 2022

Traveled from Chennai to Karaikal and back. I took the Trichy highway route. About 40 % of the road was under construction, so there were frequent slow-downs especially around culverts.

MID displayed 14.4 km/L. Tankful-to-tankful method worked out to 14 km/L.

Within Chennai city (rarely in bumper-to-bumper traffic):

MID: 9.3 km/L. Tankful-to-tankful worked out to 9.8 km/L.

I used to get only around 7.5 within city, but after I switched my MID to always show the Fuel Economy display (image below), it changed my driving habits which has resulted in better FE.

What is your Actual Fuel Efficiency?-img_2725.jpeg
dhana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2022, 19:42   #5750
RRU
BHPian

2013 Toyota Etios Petrol NA GSP Manual; ODO reads 50k Km - mostly Bangalore city driving. Always thought that city rides give around 12 km/l while highway rides eke out ~ 15 km/l. So, never really bothered about mileage over the past 9 years. Lately, became curios and conscious with newer generation cars being marketed/promoted with higher FE and more refined engines boosted by smart hybrid technologies. So, did a few tank-to-tank measurement of mileage:

1) 434.7 km consuming 35.24 liters petrol > 12.34 km/l - only city drive.

2) 404.5 km consuming 35.92 liters > 11.26 km/l - only city drive.

3) 414.8 km consuming 35.05 liters > 11.83 km/l - only city drive.

4) 506.1 km gulping 36.65 liters of petrol > 13.81 km/l - 50% city and 50% highway ride.

AC usage in city is 60% and highways is 100%. Even though measured the T2T mileage, never really changed my driving style - can't let the fun of driving go. City rides (in Bangalore) in 0-80 kmph speed depending on road and traffic conditions.

Highway rides (NH44 - Bangalore-Hyderabad highway) - average speed between 100-120 kmph.
RRU is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2022, 11:56   #5751
BHPian

Woman awarded a compensation of Rs 310000 by consumer court for wrongly promised fuel efficiency

A woman in kerala was awarded Rs 310000 by consumer court for wrongly promised fuel efficiency of 32 kmpl against Ford motors/Kairali Ford(dealer).

The woman was promised a mileage of 32 kmpl, but she was getting a mileage of around 18-20 kmpl and she filed a case against Ford and the dealer in 2014 at the consumer court.As explained by the advocate the car owner was provided with a brochure stating a mileage of 32 kmpl (although with a condition stating under standard test conditions) and this was relied upon by the court to pass the judgement.The court had appointment a commission to test the mileage and they attained a figure of 19 kmpl during their testing.The women was awarded the compensation based on the above.

There is no reference to the model of the car in the news video(video is in Malayalam).

Note to Moderators: Kindly move it to an appropriate thread if required
arjungod is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2022, 13:40   #5752
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjungod View Post

Woman awarded a compensation of Rs 310000 by consumer court for wrongly promised fuel efficiency

A woman in kerala was awarded Rs 310000 by consumer court for wrongly promised fuel efficiency of 32 kmpl against Ford motors/Kairali Ford(dealer).

The woman was promised a mileage of 32 kmpl, but she was getting a mileage of around 18-20 kmpl and she filed a case against Ford and the dealer in 2014 at the consumer court.As explained by the advocate the car owner was provided with a brochure stating a mileage of 32 kmpl (although with a condition stating under standard test conditions) and this was relied upon by the court to pass the judgement.The court had appointment a commission to test the mileage and they attained a figure of 19 kmpl during their testing.The women was awarded the compensation based on the above.

There is no reference to the model of the car in the news video(video is in Malayalam).

https://Youtu.be/AdiXKR3T3OI
Ford and Kairali Ford will probably go on appeal and the case will be dismissed there in their favour.

' *Under standard test conditions.' is disclaimer enough and it's either ARAI or the manufacturer who does the testing under their standard test conditions, its not something to be done by some random advocate commissioner or MVD official who are either laymen or ill equipped for a proper test.

Last edited by jalex77 : 3rd December 2022 at 13:41.
jalex77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2022, 13:50   #5753
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalex77 View Post

' *Under standard test conditions.' is disclaimer enough and it's either ARAI or the manufacturer who does the testing under their standard test conditions, its not something to be done by some random advocate commissioner or MVD official who are either laymen or ill equipped for a proper test.
Honestly Ford shouldn't be fined. The ARAI has to be fined and the customer should be compensated. These ARAI figures are absolute BS.
Turbohead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2022, 14:20   #5754
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalex77 View Post
Ford and Kairali Ford will probably go on appeal and the case will be dismissed there in their favour.
I believe they would surely go for an appeal, but the observation by the court was the wide gap in the figures irrespective of the disclaimer.I am not sure how it will be dealt at the higher courts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
Honestly Ford shouldn't be fined. The ARAI has to be fined and the customer should be compensated. These ARAI figures are absolute BS.
It seems the figures are from a brochure given to the customer.It does not seem to be ARAI figures.Not even the hybrids have received such a high fuel efficiency certification.
Old 5th December 2022, 22:38   #5755
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam264_2000 View Post
5th Gen Honda City ZX CVT.....16.5kmpl. TF to TF.
5th Gen Honda City ZX CVT. 2 consecutive weekend drives of Pune-Solapur-Pune (600km each door to door). AC on 100% of the time. Consistent speed of approx 100kmph. Cruise control whenever possible. 17.5kmpl for the 1st drive and 20kmpl for the 2nd drive. TF to TF.

Last edited by sam264_2000 : 5th December 2022 at 22:38. Reason: Additional comments
sam264_2000 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th December 2022, 00:31   #5756
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I have just picked up a preloved 2016 WagonR Vxi AMT which had run just 16.5k Kms. After 2 months of usage and 3 tankful's, I am shocked to see the average is just 10.15 kmpl. This is in Goa where the traffic is nothing compared to the metro cities, Yes, the A.C. is on all the time but as I was getting 11.5 to 12.00 kmpl on my 2013 WagonR Manual in Bombay traffic, this low figure of 10.1 kmpl is surprising.
I have changed the air filter, fuel filter and plugs.
I am driving in a fairly sedate manner as it is an AMT.
Tyre pressures are normal and they are filled with N2.
Wheels and tyres are 14 inch size.
Is there anything I am missing or that could be done to improve this dismal fuel efficiency.

Thanks & Regards,
SS
Old 13th December 2022, 00:39   #5757
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
Hi Guys,

I have just picked up a preloved 2016 WagonR Vxi AMT which had run just 16.5k Kms. After 2 months of usage and 3 tankful's, I am shocked to see the average is just 10.15 kmpl. This is in Goa where the traffic is nothing compared to the metro cities, Yes, the A.C. is on all the time but as I was getting 11.5 to 12.00 kmpl on my 2013 WagonR Manual in Bombay traffic, this low figure of 10.1 kmpl is surprising.

Is there anything I am missing or that could be done to improve this dismal fuel efficiency.

Thanks & Regards,
SS
I would say I'm not surprised in a way as my K10 Wagon-R manual isn't that great with efficiency either. And the few times I've driven the AMT Wagon-R, I've somehow felt the lack of good low end in the K10 affects the overall efficiency especially in the AMT version. Regular users of Wagon-R K10 AMT may be able to throw more light.

The best highway figures in my manual K10 W-R has been 19 and that's just once with two people. Rest all have been in the vicinity of 15-17 with four passengers and in the city, it averages around 12. How is the fuel efficiency out on the highways though?
freakmuzik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2022, 08:27   #5758
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjungod View Post
wrongly promised fuel efficiency of 32 kmpl against Ford motors/Kairali Ford(dealer).
This could be the facelift Figo/Aspire. I remember Gaadi did a Bangalore-Bombay FE drive and got such outrageous numbers.

Its not ARAI numbers, the maximum was Honda diesels that had an ARAI of 25.x in the mid 2010s
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2022, 08:44   #5759
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
This could be the facelift Figo/Aspire. I remember Gaadi did a Bangalore-Bombay FE drive and got such outrageous numbers.

Its not ARAI numbers, the maximum was Honda diesels that had an ARAI of 25.x in the mid 2010s
It is the 2014 Ford Classic Titanium with the Duratorq Diesel engine.
There is a new thread with more details.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...-ford-car.html (Kerala Consumer Court awards 3 Lakh in compensation to the owner of a Ford car)
Old 13th December 2022, 09:05   #5760
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post

The Honda Diesels are really fuel efficient. My friends WRV which I used for a few months consistently returned 21 in the city and 23 on the highway if driven between 80-90.

My Chevy Beat returns 14-15 kmpl with AC for 50% of the time in Bangalore traffic.
Mafia is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed