Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2020, 13:28   #5416
Senior - BHPian

Re: What is your Actual Fuel Efficiency?

Car: 2016 Volkswagen Vento 1.2 TSI AT
Current odometer:- 70398 KM
Fuel - Normal Petrol from IOCL Pump on Expressway just before start of Lonavala Ghat towards Pune
Method: Tankful - Tankful
A/C usage: 100%
Average FE: 14.2 KPL
Average City FE (Mumbai) - 11 KPL
Average Highway FE (Pune-Mumbai Expressway) - 17.5
Passengers: - 4 (City) | 3 (Highway)
Tire Pressure - 32 PSI
Tyres - Yokohama BluEarth A
akash_v12 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 13:45   #5417
Senior - BHPian

2018 Lexus RX350 F Sport - 3.5L V6 8 Speed gearbox, all wheel drive
City traffic lots of stopping traffic lights: 7 kmpl
City plus freeway 50-50: 9.5 kmpl
Freeway driving 100-110 kmph: 10.5 kmpl
extreme_torque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 20:44   #5418
BHPian

Car: Hyundai Verna
Variant: 1.5 VGT ABS
Mfg. Year: 2008
Odo: 120K
Engine: 1.5lit. Diesel
Gearbox: 5-speed Manual
Tyre Pressure: 33PSI (checked on the same day)
AC Usage: 100%
Passengers: 2
Luggage: 2 medium size strolleys
Total Load: ~175kg
Road Usage: 100% Highway
Road Stretch: Ulundurpet - Coimbatore
Check Distance: <100 km
Check Method: Tankful - tankful; filled till brim both times
Driven by: My Wife
Drive Avg. Speed: ~80kmph (<2000rpm in 5th gear, most of the time)
FE (best): 18 kmpl
Comments: Once it crosses around 100km distance, the car drives like a dream, can't get smoother than this. It was post the initial 100km of the day, that she took over, and she drove steadily and ~90% of the 100km distance, it was in 5th gear and less than 2000rpm, so the turbo surge was not experienced, which leads me to think, the FE could not be better than this for my car.
zaheermk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 22:57   #5419
Senior - BHPian

Car -> Renault Triber
Variant -> RXZ
Manufacturing Year -> 2019
Odometer -> 2600+Kms
Engine -> 999cc
Gearbox -> 5 Speed MT
Tyre Pressure -> 33PSI
AC Usage -> 50% of the time
Passengers -> Mostly 2 adults and a 3 years old ; Occassionally 5 adults and the 3 years old ; Last fill up log was after a trip to Rohtang with these 6 people
Luggage -> Mostly just my car's emergency bag (maybe about 10Kgs of stuff) in the boot
Road Usage -> 100% Hilly roads in and around Manali
Check Method -> Tankful to Tankful method
Driven By -> Myself 100% of the time
Driving Average Speed -> 45Km/Hr

What is your Actual Fuel Efficiency?-screenshot_20200608224424.png

What is your Actual Fuel Efficiency?-screenshot_20200608224527.png

What is your Actual Fuel Efficiency?-screenshot_20200608224536.png

Name:  Screenshot_20200608224540.png
Views: 2057
Size:  63.7 KB

App Used -> Fuelio Android App
Old 9th June 2020, 17:51   #5420
Senior - BHPian

Sudden Increase in mileage with BS6 Diesel

Starting this thread to discuss if folks have noticed a sudden increase in mileage post BS6 Diesel availability.

I have a BS4 Honda WRV bought in July last year that has now done around 5k kms. Till now I was getting a local mileage of around 16kmpl. I always fill in full tank from either Shell or IOCL and use normal Diesel only.

The car's fuel average meter always used to hover around 16 kmpl.

Post the lockdown I got the tank filled up at IOCL on 30th May as it was almost empty. This was the first time after March that I filled in fuel. I am assuming this was BS6 fuel.

Since this fill up the fuel average meter is consistently showing 20+ kmpl and I am surprised. The driving speeds, habits and route are all same. I have reset the Trip Meters a couple of times but the average again climbs to 20+.

I am not complaining at all , however I would like to know if this an error or have other BS4 car owners noticed this change.
Traveler is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th June 2020, 20:15   #5421
BHPian

Re: Sudden Increase in mileage with BS6 Diesel

Quote:
Since this fill up the fuel average meter is consistently showing 20+ kmpl and I am surprised. The driving speeds, habits and route are all same. I have reset the Trip Meters a couple of times but the average again climbs to 20+.
It may be due to less traffic on the roads due to lockdown effect. So mileage may improve as a result ,because due to BS6 fuel it may increase by 1 or 2 Kms but not by 20 percent .

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 9th June 2020 at 20:42. Reason: Typo.
Sandeep500 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th June 2020, 20:41   #5422
BANNED

I have found a negligible difference in FE post fresh two rounds of full tank done (presuming it is BS6 fuel). Had added Adon-D too while filling up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Starting this thread to discuss if folks have noticed a sudden increase in mileage post BS6 Diesel availability.
I guess the car is happy that you took it out to drive after the lockdown.

Last edited by a4anurag : 9th June 2020 at 20:42.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2020, 20:43   #5423
Senior - BHPian

I guess cleaner fuel doesn't quite mean it's more fuel efficient. I think if anything, BS6 norms may bring down efficiency marginally owing to complex mechanisms like SCR, DPF etc in BS6 engines.

Few articles suggest that with DPF the increase exhaust back pressure can adversely affect efficiency. DPF regeneration, active or passive, needs engine intervention to burn off the soot.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 9th June 2020 at 20:53.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th June 2020, 20:49   #5424
Senior - BHPian

I have been driving the exact same route both pre and post lockdown. The traffic is only slightly less, not enough to change the mileage figures so much. I am wondering too.

I will observe for some more time and check again using the tank full method.
Old 9th June 2020, 21:19   #5425
BHPian

Is BS6 now available pan India. I am asking this as I haven't seen any display on any fuel station regarding sale of BS6 fuel. Also forgot to ask the fuel pump attendant if the fuel being sold is BS6.
Old 9th June 2020, 21:20   #5426
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have been driving the exact same route both pre and post lockdown. The traffic is only slightly less, not enough to change the mileage figures so much. I am wondering too.

I will observe for some more time and check again using the tank full method.
Are you calculating on the tankful method? That would give an accurate figure compared to the MID.
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2020, 21:22   #5427
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Are you calculating on the tankful method? That would give an accurate figure compared to the MID.
I usually check using both methods. The MID is usually a bit higher.

This time the MID is way above what I usually get using the tankful method.

I will cross check with Tank full the next time I fill up.
Traveler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2020, 10:34   #5428
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I have a BS4 Honda WRV bought in July last year that has now done around 5k kms. Till now I was getting a local mileage of around 16kmpl. I always fill in full tank from either Shell or IOCL and use normal Diesel only.
HP fuel pump where I fuel up had supplies change over to BS6 on 6th of March, they had underground tank cleaning soon after that, I fuelled up on 12th, and found the engine a bit rough, got the car serviced on 16th, new tires on 17th, did about 100 km around city on the same day, just before returning I filled up to the brim 48Lit, and set trip to 0. Next day (18th) I went to Athni Belgaon district. Engine was rough and MID showing 19 in the beginning, and it improved to 19.5 after Satara. Sudden acceleration meant the engine hesitating slightly and giving up a puff of black smoke and accelerating a few seconds later. Beyond Satara the engine tone improved too. Road from Pethnaka where we leave NH48, and Sangali is 4 lane in patches, and 2 lane in patches, beyond Miraj upto Kagwad where I join NH748 (Belgaum Bijapur Highway) it is narrow and a newly surfaced section and I did not pull the car. Kagwad onwards it is a wide 2 lane where one can overtake a truck straddling the middle line even with an oncoming bus or truck traffic is also mostly buses and trucks. This section was mostly 80-90 in 6th.
During the return run the next day I did a few low gear high rpm pulls, and found that the hesitation and smoke that I faced the day before was gone.
At Pethnaka I stopped for tea, and once on the NH did some high spirited driving the drive was improving, and back in Pune the MID was showing 21.8 km/Lit after 690km of use. Car was at home on 20th and I went to Chakan MIDC, and then to Talegaon MIDC and back on 21st.
While returning tank was between 1/2 & 1/4th I filled up again and it took 36 Lit for 781km which comes to 21.69km/Lit. MID was still showing 21.8.
Previous highway efficiency has always been between 19 and 21.

Rahul
Old 26th June 2020, 03:01   #5429
BHPian

Latest update on my Rapid MT Petrol:
  • Went on a long drive with my Mother. No AC, Driver-side and both rear windows half open.
  • Mom does not like switching on AC and likes window seat! Hence drove the entire journey [To and Fro, 145 KM each] with three windows half open.
  • Only two lines of the Fuel indicator were reduced at the end of the entire tour [was one-line-less-to-the-full before beginning of journey]. The arc between 1 and 3/4 shows 2 lines when full tank.
  • It was showing 21.1 KMpL while we reached the destination but by the time I wriggled through the not-so-dense, short-distance traffic, parked my car and took out my phone to click, it reduced to 20.9.
  • Entire journey was through almost empty very much motorable state highway.
  • Average speed was mostly 75 KMpH, with the car occasionally warning me on reaching 80.
  • Took 2.5 hours for 145 KMs while going and 3 hours the same route on return journey.
  • Total ~300 KMs, nearly 20.7 KMpL. 14.5 Liters consumed.
What is your Actual Fuel Efficiency?-trip_oneway.jpg

The return journey consumed one line form the Fuel Indicator, showing 20.6 KMpL. But I was too tired driving in the afternoon, the sun pricking my eyes every now and then. Hence did not have patience to click the pic after reaching home at 3 PM. I slept for 5 hours right after!

Really amazed at the efficiency we can extract from a 1.6 litre NA petrol car weighing more than a tonne, that too with so much of wind resistance throughout the way.

Lastly, really enjoyed its cornering ability at mid and high 70s on those winding empty roads. Never felt a body roll. The stock left front tyre punctured from our previous journey on the same route is still holding strong. It was my only point of concern. Planning to replace during/after first service.
Guru_GPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2020, 10:55   #5430
BHPian

Quote:

The car's fuel average meter always used to hover around 16 kmpl.

Post the lockdown I got the tank filled up at IOCL on 30th May as it was almost empty. This was the first time after March that I filled in fuel. I am assuming this was BS6 fuel.

I am not complaining at all , however I would like to know if this an error or have other BS4 car owners noticed this change.
Exactly the same behavior I have observed with my S-Cross. I used to get around 14-15 kmpl in Bangalore city traffic with around 40-50 km travel per day. Now after BS6 fuel fill up it's always around 19 kmpl even with very short trips. There might be other factors contributing to increase in FE like cold weather, less traffic etc. But this is surely in highway mileage territory. This can't be an isolate case as one of my friend driving a VENTO TDI DSG also confirmed his FE has too increased from 13 kmpl to 16 kmpl.

Or BS6 fuel has really increased the FE of BS4 engine specifically diesel engines

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks