Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2024, 20:26   #15766
BHPian

Re: The "USED" Car Price Check Thread

Is there any reliable resource available online to pull up OTR prices and the model list of previously sold cars? After covid, the delta between new and previously sold cars is quite high and it is hard to make a judgement on the whether prevailing price on a particular used car is justified.

Last edited by HighOnSpeed : 9th March 2024 at 20:29.
Old 10th March 2024, 08:36   #15767
BHPian

Used car prices are driven by perception amd demand. Not quantifiable logic like insurance IDV.

It does not matter what the OTR was when thr car was new. It's depends on the value you and the seller see today in the car.
Old 10th March 2024, 10:52   #15768

Dear Mods,

Can we start a thread solely for sharing the cost details of the used car purchases made by TBHPians. This will help us understand the correct prices both while buying and selling.
PG245 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2024, 11:34   #15769
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG245 View Post
Dear Mods,

Can we start a thread solely for sharing the cost details of the used car purchases made by TBHPians. This will help us understand the correct prices both while buying and selling.
Excellent idea for a new thread!
BHPian buyers can share below details:
City:
Car Make & Model & Variant:
Manufacturing Year:
Odo:
Owner Serial:
Fuel & Transmission:
Seller Type:
Asking Price:
Final Price:
Love4Cars is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th March 2024, 22:17   #15770
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG245 View Post
Dear Mods,

There are no fixed prices and across states and cities, prices will tend to vary by a large margin. That's where websites like OrangeBookValue help in ascertaining prices. You can log your city and choose the specifications of the vehicle down to the variant and you get three values (Fair, Good, Excellent Condition). And there's a variation in the ballpark figures too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4Cars View Post
Excellent idea for a new thread!
BHPian buyers can share below details:
City:
Car Make & Model & Variant:
Manufacturing Year:
Odo:
Owner Serial:
Fuel & Transmission:
Seller Type:
Asking Price:
Final Price:
As replied above. To add, some of these values you ask for can vary between the buyer and the seller (urgent need to buy/sell, value perception on each side, etc). I mentioned a few posts earlier, I paid more for the Pajero Sport than any other offer received by the seller. So value perception matters in the eyes of the buyer more than the seller.
discoverwild is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2024, 01:29   #15771

Quote:
Originally Posted by skarthikeyan View Post
Thanks @Yuvuz, this was very useful in my negotiations. I did a thorough check at BMW Deutsche Motoren. I was able to reduce the price from Rs. 34L to Rs. 29 thanks to your input and I'm going ahead with the vehicle. BLR prices are higher than Gujarat or rest of the country, so I feel this is ok. I see similar mileage vehicles being listed at Rs. 42L + in BLR and in arguably worser condition. There were 2 other buyers entering the fray and I didn't want to miss out on a well maintained vehicle.
Congratulations , how much did the BMW inspection cost? Share some pictures of your new ride!
Old 18th March 2024, 10:22   #15772
BHPian

Sold my 2007 Wagon R Lxi to a direct user for 1.3 Lacs. The car had a few scratches and dents. No mechanical or electrical issues, insurance had 50% NCB and the RC was renewed till 2027.

Cars24 offered 1L and was pressurising to sell it to them. But I held on to my listing in OLX. Had offers from a couple of dealers for 1.2 and then finally from a direct buyer for 1.3L. This is in Bangalore.

Mine was the lowest listed car in OLX for similar vintage. I saw quotes ranging from 1.8L to 2.5L for 2007 Wagon R. Also most of the listings are from the dealers.

So that brings me to the question in my mind. How are the dealers able to get hold of so many used cars? I mean, sites like OLX were to get rid of the middlemen but they seem to rule there too. In fact, when I am looking at luxury cars, without exception, they are from dealers. Why are the owners selling to them without even putting an ad in OLX or similar portals?
Old 18th March 2024, 17:19   #15773
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
So that brings me to the question in my mind. How are the dealers able to get hold of so many used cars? I mean, sites like OLX were to get rid of the middlemen but they seem to rule there too. In fact, when I am looking at luxury cars, without exception, they are from dealers. Why are the owners selling to them without even putting an ad in OLX or similar portals?
Back in November, I had listed my E-Class for sale on OLX. Majority of the calls that I had got were from dealers, even though I had clearly specified in the description that dealers don't contact. Eventually ended up selling to a dealer at a loss for 4.2L, the same car is now listed on OLX with a price of 8.9L, and without any mention of the prior history (it was hydrolocked earlier).
B747fan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2024, 17:34   #15774
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B747fan View Post
Back in November, I had listed my E-Class for sale on OLX. Majority of the calls that I had got were from dealers, even though I had clearly specified in the description that dealers don't contact. Eventually ended up selling to a dealer at a loss for 4.2L, the same car is now listed on OLX with a price of 8.9L, and without any mention of the prior history (it was hydrolocked earlier).
I think yours is a special case. Most individual buyers would shy away when you upfront mentioned the car's issues. This kind of shady practice is what I would associate to most dealers.

But I am talking about not seeing any direct seller cars (mid range and above) at all in OLX. You can find a few hatch backs listed directly and thats it.
Old 18th March 2024, 19:45   #15775
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sold my 2007 Wagon R Lxi to a direct user for 1.3 Lacs. The car had a few scratches and dents. No mechanical or electrical issues, insurance had 50% NCB and the RC was renewed till 2027.

Cars24 offered 1L and was pressurising to sell it to them. But I held on to my listing in OLX. Had offers from a couple of dealers for 1.2 and then finally from a direct buyer for 1.3L. This is in Bangalore.

Mine was the lowest listed car in OLX for similar vintage. I saw quotes ranging from 1.8L to 2.5L for 2007 Wagon R. Also most of the listings are from the dealers.

These dealers use bots to repost ads daily to the point where any legitimate listing gets buried under 1000 duplicate listings of the same dealer car. OLX auto has turned into a circus after 2021
Old 18th March 2024, 19:48   #15776
BHPian

Quote:
I mean, sites like OLX were to get rid of the middlemen but they seem to rule there too. In fact, when I am looking at luxury cars, without exception, they are from dealers. Why are the owners selling to them without even putting an ad in OLX or similar portals?
It's just that they are so quick to offer a price and grab the car, then they will relist it with additional cost. You should have tried fb Marketplace; according to fb profile, you could have sold directly to the customer rather than through a middleman. OLX, as you said, is completely buried with dealers.
Old 18th March 2024, 20:02   #15777
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor_diwan View Post
It's just that they are so quick to offer a price and grab the car, then they will relist it with additional cost. You should have tried fb Marketplace; according to fb profile, you could have sold directly to the customer rather than through a middleman. OLX, as you said, is completely buried with dealers.
I dont have a FB account . Also I sold it to a direct buyer ( maybe he is also not on FB ).

But why do the sellers settle for a lower rate with dealers unless its a distress sale?
Old 18th March 2024, 20:21   #15778
BHPian

Quote:
But why do the sellers settle for a lower rate with dealers unless its a distress sale?
Maybe for convenience, many people say, "Why bother? Just give it to Spinny or Car24. Let them handle everything from name transfer to repairs. Plus, they won't come back in a month demanding a refund because of some problem with the car. They'll just take it off our hands and fix it with their resources." Other reasons, as you mentioned, could include emergency sales or a lack of awareness about the fair market price. Some sellers may not have the time or know to effectively market their car to private buyers or negotiate a higher price. Selling to a dealer eliminates these problems.

And another advantage is avoiding scams! Dealing with a dealer who has been around for a while and has a physical ( Shop ) location can give sellers peace of mind and chance to avoid below incidents.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/62796067.cms

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/77603219.cms
Old 18th March 2024, 23:17   #15779
BHPian

I have bought 2 cars and sold 1 through OLX India:

1) In 2014 I bought a 2007 Mitsubishi Pajero GLX (50495 kms run) for 6L

2) In 2015 I sold a 2007 Ford fiesta TDCi (107000 kms run) for 2.19L

3) In 2023 I bought a 2017 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT (27583 km run) for 27L

The last deal was from a used car dealer and I think I paid a slight premium for it, could have wrapped it for 25L but the condition of the vehicle was excellent so I did not want to bargain and lose the offer!
BlackBeard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2024, 22:51   #15780
BHPian

Friends, what's a good price (to buy) for a 5 to 7 year old Isuzu VCross in TN? I looked around and can't find anything less than 15L, which I find ridiculous. Is it because of high demand and less supply or are they really worth it?
I am looking for a used beater car for my farm. I think a pickup with crew cabin will be a good choice. But the exorbitant price is making me look for Boleros and Safaris, which I can easily get for under 5L.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks