Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2020, 09:28   #14266
BHPian

Re: The "USED" Car Price Check Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoosetoCruze View Post
There’s no way either of those cars are worth anything more than 3L, maybe 3.5L if everything checks out. One is a high mileage discontinued German, the other is a discontinued German.
Thank you for the inputs ChoosetoCruze. Curious to understand how did you reach that price range?
I have searched most big South Indian cities on major used car sites, and havent come across any Jetta anywhere near this number (usually 2012 Jettas with 1 Lakh kms quote 7.5+ in BLR, TN and Kerala). Checked OLX Goa too and did not find a major difference (even if I take a 20% cut on quoted price).

For the Yeti, I looked at Shankar Baalan's thread and the price he sold forlast year sale; while this one I am looking at is higher run car, the 3.5L price tag still looks way off.

Trying to see if there are any pointers which you considered in your price calculation that can help me bargain better (other than the obvious German and discontinued German points)?
Old 16th November 2020, 10:22   #14267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
I don't know about Kerala but this car won't fetch even 2 lakhs in Delhi. 5.75 lakhs is way too high for an 8 year old vehicle. Jettas are wonderful vehicles but they have atrocious resale value. Last year I sold my 2012 Jetta Highline DSG AT with similar mileage for just 2 lakhs. That too with a lot of difficulty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by singleton View Post
Thank you for the inputs ChoosetoCruze. Curious to understand how did you reach that price range?
Sure mate, no worries. See quoted post from Lobogris above.

Now I am well aware of the disconnected from reality, used car prices down south. However, what the car is worth & what the seller is asking are two very different things.

Another good cross check is to call up a used car dealer, and casually ask how much they would pick up a Jetta which has run 140,000kms, for?

While to each their own, I never recommend overpaying for a car which isn’t a collector’s item.

However, it’s your money & it’s your choice. But choose wisely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
You can't compare with Delhi prices mate. Diesel vehicles in Delhi NCR have to be sold to other states/scrapped on completion of 10 years. Resale value for diesels in Delhi is abysmally low due to this reason.
When I had put my Cruze up for sale in Goa, I had faced the exact same problem as Lobogris. Almost all offers I received were for 2L. This was for a car which had hardly run 32,000kms in 7yrs.

The trouble with the D segment vehicles isn’t the cars itself, it’s the price of the parts. If something major goes wrong, often the cost of repair using OEM parts, exceeds the market value of the car. Hence the garbage resale value.

Last edited by ChoosetoCruze : 16th November 2020 at 10:52.
ChoosetoCruze is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 10:31   #14268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by singleton View Post
1. Jetta - 2015 Model Comfortline, single owner, 140K Kms, Asking 7 Lakhs
IIRC Chetan sir had sold his 5 year old Jetta (at 1 lakh kms) for 8 lakhs. So even the Jetta's price (at 6.5 lakhs) seems alright to me.

However I would still request you to look for more options. Both the shortlisted cars are too old (Yeti year-wise and Jetta odometer-wise) to serve you well for the next 4 years.

Your erstwhile formula for buying used cars (3 year old, <30k kms) was foolproof and I'd suggest you to follow the same with some wiggle room. Look for 5-6 year old cars that have recently been through 60k km service.

Quote:
See quoted post from Lobogris above.
You can't compare with Delhi prices mate. Diesel vehicles here have to be sold to other states/scrapped on completion of 10 years. Resale value for diesels in Delhi is abysmally low due to this reason.

Last edited by self_driven : 16th November 2020 at 10:56.
self_driven is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 15:58   #14269
BHPian

Quote:
Umm, I don’t think I caught the reason for your purchase. Is there something wrong/broken with your present Innova?

Your current Innova is a much superior product than the Innova Crysta, which has only run 166,000kms. There’s a thread on this forum with the previous Innova having clocked 1,000,000kms.

I don’t think you’re making the right choice unless of course there’s something major wrong with your current Innova.
There is no particular reason to sell off the Innova.But,due to unavoidable reasons and heavy expenses which we are splurging on it(spent nearly Rs.50K on accidental repairs this year) is the reason we are planning to sell off the Innova and there is not much of usage since COVID even though it has usage,we are not preferring this car to drive in the city traffic despite having driver and especially my dad,who mostly commutes in city roads,is preferring our another car,Honda City iDTEC,as daily use since COVID due to its easy to drive nature and decent FE.

That is the reason we are planning to sell off the Innova and buy something like Creta or Seltos Diesel AT or Harrier AT or used Crysta(not much interested in another Innova).

Last edited by car_guy1998 : 16th November 2020 at 16:24.
Old 16th November 2020, 18:21   #14270
BHPian

Quote:
You can't compare with Delhi prices mate. Diesel vehicles here have to be sold to other states/scrapped on completion of 10 years. Resale value for diesels in Delhi is abysmally low due to this reason.
Even though I agree that Delhi prices in general are lower than Southern India, I would like to point out that it is not limited to diesel vehicles. I sold a petrol comfortline manual Jetta in 2016 which was then just 6 years old with only 39k kms. In pristine condition. I had a very hard time getting 3 lakhs for it. No, it is not because I am a foolish seller who is unable to fetch a good price. I bought them rather cheaply as well. Those are the prices in Delhi NCR. People shy away from large petrol vehicles due to poor mileage and from diesel ones due to the 10 year rule. I love Jettas. I think they are the best bargain vehicle one can pick up used. However it would be unwise to pay a lot for it despite what you see as the advertised price.
Lobogris is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 09:29   #14271

Hi all, I'm currently in the market for a used Honda Accord.
I came across this vehicle -
https://www.olx.in/item/honda-accord...iid-1604006038

It's currently second owner car, but the owner says it's only on paper and he's been the first as well as second owner of the car. There can be some damage visible on the left fender and front bumper. I offered 5.5L for the car but the owner wont budge below 6L.
I'm not sure what would be the appropriate offer for the car.

Can you guys also comment on the reliability of Honda Accord and as a car in general? Is it worth buying?

Also its worth mentioning that I haven't seen the car in person yet.
Old 18th November 2020, 16:06   #14272
BHPian

A close family relative is looking for a second hand car, that will be used primarily by parents in a b-town of telangana after few months. Target cost is around 5 to 6 lakhs max.

Any thoughts. I have proposed to look for an ecosport as it can handle bad roads etc. And the tdci can hold its fort for a few lakh kilometers. 2014 versions run 1.3 lakh kms are available for around 5.8 lakhs. Isvit worth getting a tdci run in lakhs of kms?

Any other cars for recommendation?
Old 18th November 2020, 17:44   #14273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
A general tip for those looking for used cars, even if the car regn number is masked, keep an eye on the number plates for 'IND'(HSRP hologram). If the number plates aren't HSRP, then the car would mostly have seen a major accident, or worse could be a stolen vehicle with mismatched chassis/engine numbers. However, the inverse may not be true though.

Sorry if I come across as a bit naive, but do you mean to say, that if there is a IND in number plate, than the vehicle could have seen a major accident!

My dad purhased a July 2018 Ecosport S, and it has that IND mark on the number plate. Feeling a bit worried now. Please advice!
Old 18th November 2020, 18:11   #14274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
My dad purhased a July 2018 Ecosport S, and it has that IND mark on the number plate. Feeling a bit worried now.
No need to worry, he meant the opposite. If there's no IND plate on a relatively new car, then it raises suspicion. If removed (necessary for bumper repaint or replacement), most people will refix these plates with normal screws instead of rivets.

Also, presence of IND plates does not guarantee a non-accidental vehicle. It's fairly simple to procure a new or replacement set of plates if one is really keen. So a buyer has to be equally watchful in either case.

Last edited by self_driven : 18th November 2020 at 18:14.
self_driven is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 18:19   #14275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No need to worry, he meant the opposite. If there's no IND plate on a relatively new car, then it raises suspicion. If removed (necessary for bumper repaint or replacement), most people will refix these plates with normal screws instead of rivets.

Also, presence of IND plates does not guarantee a non-accidental vehicle. It's fairly simple to procure a new or replacement set of plates if one is really keen. So a buyer has to be equally watchful in either case.
Thanks for clarifying it. We bought in June this year. Verified everything with the dealer. Car is 97% spic and span with only one scratch one LHS front door and two dents on the black cladding on LHS.
I am quite sure this isn't an accidental vehicle as it behaves like almost a new one !
Old 20th November 2020, 11:31   #14276
BHPian

Folks,
I am going to check a Hyundai Tucson CRDi automatic, top trim as per the ad (GLS AWD!), 2017 model, with 28K KM on the ODO in Kolkata. The price is quoted at 16.75L, negotiable.
I'm yet to check the car physically or its service history though.

I have a couple of questions for the more knowledgable members,
1. Knowing Hyundai's recent tread of build, fit, and finish (Nios!), is Tucson a good choice? Any particular issue with this car that I would need to keep in mind?
2. Is the 2.0 CRDi a competent motor?
3. What should be a good price for a 2017 top trim Tucson?
Old 20th November 2020, 11:49   #14277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7000plusrpm View Post
Folks,
I am going to check a Hyundai Tucson CRDi automatic, top trim as per the ad (GLS AWD!), 2017 model, with 28K KM on the ODO in Kolkata. The price is quoted at 16.75L, negotiable.
If the car is in excellent condition, negotiate to around 15.5-16L, you'll be getting a good deal for that car. If in good condition, offer the seller around 15L.
Also, get a PPI done at an H.A.S.S or a reputed workshop to ensure that the internals are in good condition.
akash_v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2020, 14:13   #14278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Figo Aspire petrol (1.2 Ltr engine)
Titanium variant
Year 2016 November
ODO 27000 km
Registration and location: Kerala
Number of owners 1

Asking price is 4.3 L

Considering insurance renewal and annual service charges next month we offered 3.5 L and owner rejected it. What is the fair price for a 4 year old Aspire petrol Titanium variant?

Thanks in advance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
^^ Your offer was fair; if you genuinely like the car, maybe you could go up to 3.6 or so.

I think the owner is expecting 4L.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
He will probably settle for 3.8 - if the tyres and clutch are good, go ahead.
Quote:
Annual service and insurance is due next month. Owner is not in India and had a chat with him. He is expecting 4.2 L and I offered 3.8L.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
3.8L is the utmost you should pay for that, and only if everything else checks out + relatively new tyres, clutch in good nick. That is what you'd wind up spending if the car wasn't in as good condition.
Quote:
Thanks. We have a max budget of 4L (including the required maintenance, insurance or other expenses after buying). 3.8 is the maximum I can go in this case.
This car is back on the radar
Update: Annual service done, new insurance available, and front tyres were replaced 8 months back (so suspension needs to be checked)

We revised the offer to 3.9L. Owner has not replied yet.
Old 22nd November 2020, 16:33   #14279
Distinguished - BHPian

What would be the fair price for a KA registered 2015 Honda City V vtec manual, 32k km run and 1st owner? The car has full service history from HASS.
Old 23rd November 2020, 11:09   #14280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
What would be the fair price for a KA registered 2015 Honda City V vtec manual, 32k km run and 1st owner? The car has full service history from HASS.
OTR price was ~ 12L. Considering 10% depreciation per annum, 6L is a good price for a 5 year old Honda City V manual. Add ~ 5% if everything is in excellent shape.
Latheesh is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks