Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2023, 12:25   #15616
BHPian

Re: The "USED" Car Price Check Thread

Hello fellow BHPians

I have booked a Honda Jazz V CVT (Sunset Orange) Feb 2016 registered and 72k Kms on the odometer. The asking price is 4.71 L on Cars24. Barring few minor scratches and minor dents here and there, every other thing looks perfect. Also Cars24 claims it to be certified by their Mega Refurbishment Lab.

Is it a good deal? need your guidance before finalizing the deal
Old 28th August 2023, 12:49   #15617
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alibi_man View Post
Hi All

This is my first post on this great forum.

Which is a better automatic car to buy at the SAME price?

Brio AT / 26,000km / Dec 2018
Santro AMT / 8,500km / Sep 2020

Santro has all the bells and whistles, which I would like. I really like this car.
But I understand the Brio is extremely reliable due to the TC gearbox, so might be a stress-free purchase.
You are better off to buy Santo AMT. The AMT unit of Hyundai is much better compared to all other brands. You need to get used to initial weeks on lifting off A pedal at every 2000 rpm mark. Else, this is perfect city car for sure.
Old 28th August 2023, 12:50   #15618

Hello fellow BHPians, I wanted a bit of advice on pricing my Corolla 2012 Diesel Limited edition, Chhattisgarh registered, which want to sell.

The car has clocked 1.5 lakh kms on the odo, is in great shape, no dents, minor scratches, tyres and battery replaced recently, new seat covers.

Comprehensive insurance valid till December 2012.

I recently got some maintenance done at the showroom, replacing the brake pads, and some other parts totaling to 70k at the authorized showroom.

Considering the demand of diesel vehicles and existing listings on OLX, we are expecting around 4.25-4.5 lakh, please guide regarding the pricing.

Last edited by palashsinghania : 28th August 2023 at 13:10. Reason: Missing information added
Old 28th August 2023, 12:52   #15619
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince707 View Post
Hello fellow BHPians

I have booked a Honda Jazz V CVT (Sunset Orange) Feb 2016 registered and 72k Kms on the odometer. The asking price is 4.71 L on Cars24. Barring few minor scratches and minor dents here and there, every other thing looks perfect. Also Cars24 claims it to be certified by their Mega Refurbishment Lab.

Is it a good deal? need your guidance before finalizing the deal
Yeah, Negotiate a little more. The same model in Bangalore demands 6L+ from these Cars24/Spinny/Individual buyers etc. If the car is mechanically good shape, pls go ahead.
Hope tires may need change and get one full service done to make sure its in top shape.
Old 28th August 2023, 15:13   #15620
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstallion76 View Post
Yeah, Negotiate a little more. The same model in Bangalore demands 6L+ from these Cars24/Spinny/Individual buyers etc. If the car is mechanically good shape, pls go ahead.
Hope tires may need change and get one full service done to make sure its in top shape.
Unfortunately, there is no further negotiation happening. The tires are in pretty good shape (all above 80% health and the spare one is 100%). But one issue that creates a bit of doubt is that the service record is available with Honda only up to 2018 when the car had only run around 35k km. After that, there is no service record which means it was being serviced outside. It was serviced by the Cars24 team only last week. I am mostly worried about the possibility of CVT transmission failure, but CARS24 says its fine and is also providing 1-year warranty on it.

It was a first-owner car and I checked that the car belonged to the wife of a senior bureaucrat living in a posh Gurgaon locality. This bureaucrat also happens to be the brother of a current Union Cabinet minister.
Old 1st September 2023, 21:37   #15621
BHPian

Quote:
Unfortunately, there is no further negotiation happening. The tires are in pretty good shape (all above 80% health and the spare one is 100%). But one issue that creates a bit of doubt is that the service record is available with Honda only up to 2018 when the car had only run around 35k km. After that, there is no service record which means it was being serviced outside. It was serviced by the Cars24 team only last week. I am mostly worried about the possibility of CVT transmission failure, but CARS24 says its fine and is also providing 1-year warranty on it.

It was a first-owner car and I checked that the car belonged to the wife of a senior bureaucrat living in a posh Gurgaon locality. This bureaucrat also happens to be the brother of a current Union Cabinet minister.
CVT is quite expensive to maintain well. A CVT serviced only for the first 2 years at the ASS speaks volumes about how much care the previous owner took. I'm not insulting any of our hard working FNGs in any way but I would think twice before handing over a CVT to a local garage.

SR till 35k, and 72k mileage is a big red flag for me. Basic maths gives, 35k in first 2 years which makes 17.5k in first 2 years. So the remaining 5 years, it was driven only 37k total or 7.2k-ish Kms every year? Something doesn't add up here if you have been paying attention to the numbers.

You're not sure where it was taken to for repairs, and the actual mileage. Furthermore, my experience with Cars24 recently has not been that great.

Driven by bureaucrat? I would make a guess. It was chauffeur driven and maintained. If that's the case, it's a no go because generally chauffeurs in India treat others' cars like trash.

Last edited by wheelspinner : 1st September 2023 at 21:45.
wheelspinner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2023, 12:55   #15622

Hi everyone

Hope you are in the best of health.

We are getting a 2022 Honda Amaze CVT 1.2 VX variant which has run nearly 5,000 kms of INR 8.5L. It would be great if someone could let me know if it is a good price. Furthermore, extended warranty is purchased.

Thanks.
skillaft is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2023, 21:21   #15623
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelspinner View Post
CVT is quite expensive to maintain well. A CVT serviced only for the first 2 years at the ASS speaks volumes about how much care the previous owner took. I'm not insulting any of our hard working FNGs in any way but I would think twice before handing over a CVT to a local garage.
Hi, thanks for your words of wisdom. I went to a nearby Honda dealership to enquire about the inspection of the Jazz CVT I booked from Cars24. After the enquiry, I was strolling around the showroom when I spotted a silver jazz on display as 'For Sale' just outside the showroom at a corner where other for sale used cars were parked as part of the Honda Auto Terrace banner. I then enquired about the car and learned that it was indeed a Jazz V CVT. Here are the details

Model/Make- Honda Jazz V CVT, Nov 2015 Registered- Feb 2016 Registered

Odometer- 39k KM

Price Quote- 4.8L

Owner- Single Owner, senior Army person, Clean service record, pretty well-maintained vehicle from outside and inside, barring a few minor dents and scratches here and there. Also, I saw small rust under the bonnet lid but nothing around the engine though. Rust is probably because of the Noida's hard water.

Honda Auto Terrace also gives a one-year engine and transmission warranty. They also promised to check and replace the engine oil and CVT transmission fluid and do touch-ups for minor dents and scratches. Further, the tyres are OEM tyres and never replaced. They are worn down and will need replacement in a few months. (Extra 20k)

I feel Honda Auto Terrace seems more reliable than Cars24.
The JAZZ CVT that I was looking for in Cars24 was run 72k Kms and looked run down from outside and inside as compared to this car. The quote was 4.71 on Cars24.

What do you think is it a good deal?
Attached Thumbnails
The "USED" Car Price Check Thread-whatsapp-image-20230902-2.57.59-pm.jpeg  

The "USED" Car Price Check Thread-whatsapp-image-20230902-2.58.03-pm.jpeg  

The "USED" Car Price Check Thread-whatsapp-image-20230902-2.58.02-pm.jpeg  

Last edited by Turbanator : 2nd September 2023 at 21:38. Reason: Quoted post trimmed.
Old 2nd September 2023, 21:42   #15624
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Odometer- 39k KM

Owner- Single Owner, senior Army person, Clean service record, pretty well-maintained vehicle from outside and inside

the tyres are OEM tyres and never replaced. They are worn down and will need replacement in a few months. (Extra 20k)

I feel Honda Auto Terrace seems more reliable than Cars24.
The quote was 4.71 on Cars24.
Do double check the service history, as the steering looks worn out. 39K is pretty low. Also, the first owner must have purchased from CSD, implying lower purchase costs. Though not necessarily lower sales price, but it is possible. Ask for new tyres and engine oil/ plug service. I don't think CVT needs to be tinkered unnecessarily at 40K mileage. The best will be to check the interiors of similar-aged vehicles and compare them. Also, driving the car on a broken road and looking for thuds or any other suspension noise will be good.

Last edited by Turbanator : 2nd September 2023 at 21:44.
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2023, 01:22   #15625
BHPian

Quote:
What do you think is it a good deal?
Yes. You're lucky. Honda Terrace here has very little stock. In fact, I wanted to buy a City through them but they didn't have what I wanted in stock.

Nothing's better than buying inspected used cars from the brand itself. They know their cars in and out. Based on the interior/exterior, it looks decent for the price, and 40k is not that much. Rust is cancer for cars so check thoroughly if it is manageable and structurally no weak areas due to rust. As you mentioned, all these points (rust, dents and scratches) are good for negotiation. Car needs touchups, denting and painting - add 10-20k more to expense list. If mechanicals, suspension, and OBD scan results are good I would go for it. Try to bargain more, bring it down to 4.3-4.4L.

There's a good likelihood this car came through exchange discounts run by Honda. Hence, owner likely got rid of it to upgrade instead of due to problems in the car. On the other hand, in case of Cars24 there's a 80% likelihood they pick up cars no other dealer in the town would touch, based on my first hand experience with these aggregators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillaft View Post
Hi everyone

Hope you are in the best of health.

We are getting a 2022 Honda Amaze CVT 1.2 VX variant which has run nearly 5,000 kms of INR 8.5L. It would be great if someone could let me know if it is a good price. Furthermore, extended warranty is purchased.

Thanks.
Good deal if you can bring the price down to 7.5-8L.

Last edited by wheelspinner : 3rd September 2023 at 01:35.
wheelspinner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2023, 19:59   #15626
BHPian

Hi Everyone,

I'm having my eye on a 2016 Octavia style plus TDI AT. It's run 87k kms, single owner. It has been listed for 14.16L in spinny.
I feel it's about 4 lakhs too high. Would like your thoughts on the pricing as well.
Taking a test drive tomorrow. Any pointers on what to look out for during the TD will also be appreciated. Thanks
Old 5th September 2023, 20:18   #15627
BHPian

hi Everyone,

I'm planning to sell my GLC 220d (bought sep 2019).
1> Its done 24k kms. White color.
2> First owner, car is almost without a scratch.
3> Servicing only at Mercedes centers
4> 4th Year insurance renewed last week (90k).
5> Not in warranty, didnt extend the warranty.
6> Original tyres and brake pads, no need for replacement for another year or 2 if driven the same way as me .

What would be a good asking price for the car?
Old 5th September 2023, 20:36   #15628
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abi5hek View Post
Hi Everyone,

I'm having my eye on a 2016 Octavia style plus TDI AT. It's run 87k kms, single owner. It has been listed for 14.16L in spinny.
I feel it's about 4 lakhs too high. Would like your thoughts on the pricing as well.
Taking a test drive tomorrow. Any pointers on what to look out for during the TD will also be appreciated. Thanks
Hi. I feel 14.16 is way too high for this car - even if we take into consideration that Spinny is notorious for hiking the price of cars on its platform.

Based on my understanding, something like this should list for ~12.7-12.8 on aggregator platforms and can be had for ~11.5-11.6 should you buy it straight from the seller.

So yes; not quite 4 lakh; but around 2.6-2.7 lakh too high.

A caveat - my sense is driven by my study of the Mumbai-Pune market. Dynamics may differ slightly in other markets but not by much.
Iconoclast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2023, 22:08   #15629
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelspinner View Post
Nothing's better than buying inspected used cars from the brand itself. They know their cars in and out. Based on the interior/exterior, it looks decent for the price, and 40k is not that much. Rust is cancer for cars so check thoroughly if it is manageable and structurally no weak areas due to rust. As you mentioned, all these points (rust, dents and scratches) are good for negotiation. Car needs touchups, denting and painting - add 10-20k more to expense list. If mechanicals, suspension, and OBD scan results are good I would go for it. Try to bargain more, bring it down to 4.3-4.4L.
Hi thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, the price is not coming down. But I negotiated on a few things related to service, touchups, engine oil, CVT fluid replacement, 3M anti-rodent treatment, anti-rust treatment and thourough drycleaning. They are also providing 1 year honda gold warranty along with 3 free services.

I am a bit confused about changing tyres and upgrading them to 195/60 config. Would this void my warranty?

Last edited by graaja : 5th September 2023 at 22:12. Reason: Trimming quoted text. Please quote only the relevant part.
Old 5th September 2023, 23:31   #15630
BHPian

Quote:
Hi thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, the price is not coming down. But I negotiated on a few things related to service, touchups, engine oil, CVT fluid replacement, 3M anti-rodent treatment, anti-rust treatment and thourough drycleaning. They are also providing 1 year honda gold warranty along with 3 free services.

I am a bit confused about changing tyres and upgrading them to 195/60 config. Would this void my warranty?
Try to ignore their calls for a week or so if you can risk not buying it. This trick works, and they usually offer 10-20k discount minimum. More if the car requires maintenance work to be done.

This is standard warranty they offer on most cars. Free service is also just the labour costs, just so that you are aware because if some part needs to be replaced that is not covered by warranty then that's on you

Ask them on the terms and conditions laid out in the warranty. Generally only major mods void warranty. Not sure about upsizing tires but they can definitely bring that up if there's some issue in the car later on, just confirm everything in writing preferably via email. Verbally, it is of no worth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abi5hek View Post
Hi Everyone,

Skoda cars usually don't age well because the maintenance costs get astronomically high. I would personally stay away from an 80k+ driven Skoda with a 10 foot pole. In my recent experience at Spinny, the owner had sold off the car because it needed expensive parts replacement and suspension overhaul. So yeah, be careful.

Last edited by wheelspinner : 5th September 2023 at 23:40.
wheelspinner is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks