Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2023, 15:05   #15541
BHPian

Re: The "USED" Car Price Check Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajendra.jangid View Post
You should check the similar car prices in companies that transacts in used cars likes of cars24, spinny etc. Orand bookvalue and indiabookvalue prices are some formula based and does not reflect the ground realities.
Disagree. These platforms are exorbitantly overpriced. They have no understanding of depreciation. Most of the forum members would agree on this.
lightfootdriver is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2023, 15:19   #15542
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightfootdriver View Post
5-10% is too less. I've seen multiple examples on what was the price provided by spinny/cars24 to seller vs what they listed on their platform. The difference is close to 15-20%. They charge exorbitantly high to buyer.
I would say this difference is even more - somewhere in the region of 30-35%. They'll take the car from you at 4 lakh and sell the same at ~5.2-5.4 lakh. Coming to whether the cars are overpriced - this is determined by market forces; if there'd be nobody to buy the cars at those prices; they'll be forced to drop prices so that they don't lose money on the cars they've purchased. Being in the business of buying and selling used cars; these guys have more data and visibility into the market that us - the buyers and the sellers. This information asymmetry is reflected in the margin they make on these vehicles.
Old 16th June 2023, 18:13   #15543

Quote:
Disagree. These platforms are exorbitantly overpriced. They have no understanding of depreciation. Most of the forum members would agree on this.
Used car prices are driven by supply and demand and hence resale value of suzuki cars are different then fiat cars. So depreciation does not apply equally to all cars and there is no fixed depreciation formula for each car. the companies that are in marketing doing transactions at scale will give you some sense at what price these cars are being traded at.
Old 16th June 2023, 19:14   #15544
BHPian

Quote:
5-10% is too less. I've seen multiple examples on what was the price provided by spinny/cars24 to seller vs what they listed on their platform. The difference is close to 15-20%. They charge exorbitantly high to buyer.
True.
I saw a Yaris listed at 11 lakh, contacted the seller and he told he sold that car for 9.1 lak.
This is for a flopped discontinued model.
anoopvk268 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2023, 22:22   #15545
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajendra.jangid View Post
Used car prices are driven by supply and demand and hence resale value of suzuki cars are different then fiat cars. So depreciation does not apply equally to all cars and there is no fixed depreciation formula for each car. the companies that are in marketing doing transactions at scale will give you some sense at what price these cars are being traded at.
With due respect, my point here is that these platforms are not pricing the cars at the same rate as what you can get it from direct seller. They are charging a bomb on top of actual prices.

If you are working with an owner on arriving at a price for their used car, spinny/cars24 is the worst platform to get the right sense. Indian blue book is based on past txns of similar nature and hence I usually found their price reasonable.

It is altogether a different matter if a newbie looks at spinny/cars24 and subtracts 5% to arrive at the price of same car. They would seal the deal but that doesn't make that a good deal.

Also, if you read my post above, I have mentioned honda city commands a premium due to its reliability.
Old 17th June 2023, 04:52   #15546
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jitgupt View Post
Hey guys, Senior Citizen here.
What can I expect for my car ?
Mercedes Benz E220d Avantgarde
2016 November
6,900 Kms.
Cavensite Blue
Not a scratch on the exterior
Pristine White interior.
6900 kms. In 7 years?
Old 17th June 2023, 22:29   #15547

Well, a small mistake. The year should have been 2017. And yes, 6,900 kms in 6 years is correct.
It’s my 3rd car. My work horse is Innova Crysta.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 18th June 2023 at 19:28. Reason: Please avoid typing with excessive dots like this… It’s an eyesore to read.
jitgupt is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th June 2023, 19:17   #15548
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jitgupt View Post
The year should have been 2017. And yes, 6,900 kms in 6 years is correct.
Interesting. Just a couple of days back, I teased a friend whose E220D has done 4K in 2 years that he should sell unused kms (like carbon credits) to people in need -- like another friend whose GLC has done 15k in 6 months. I didn't think that I would see a car with lower Kms/year than the said E.

Would be curious to know what the market prices a pristine specimen like yours -- perhaps consider posting on tbhp classifieds. Good luck!

PS: If it was 350D, I would be PMing you already.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 18th June 2023 at 19:29. Reason: Quoted post edited.
Su-47 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2023, 12:41   #15549
BHPian

Hi!

I own a sep 2022 UP registerd, August manufactured Jeep compass diesel manual, night eagle variant, which has run just 4600 kms. The car has original mopar Jeep accessories worth 50000. What should be the asking price for the car. The last on road price of the car was between 26-27 lacs.

Thanks
fawad0222 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2023, 23:24   #15550
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconoclast View Post
I would say this difference is even more - somewhere in the region of 30-35%. They'll take the car from you at 4 lakh and sell the same at ~5.2-5.4 lakh.
The car owners willing to sell, but have no time or inclination to sell their cars directly to the buyer are favourite targets of all classes of middlemen involved in the deal.

It's like the farmers getting a pittance for their produce, while the end buyers pay much, much higher prices. The brokers and wholesalers as middlemen extract the most.

Hence, if one is in a hurry to sell sans any time or sans the salesmanship qualities to sell directly to a buyer, Spinny, Cars 24, brokers and other categories of middlemen could become their angels in disguise. But once these "ANGEL BROKERS" come into the picture there's no use of groaning over the resale price.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2023, 16:21   #15551

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd_maverick View Post
Looking to purchase a VW Jetta Highline Diesel Automatic of around 2015-2016.
Bumping this up. have located a 1st owner Highline AT with 60K on the odo. Ask is 10.5L with Mumbai Registration which seems high to me. Plan is to get a comprehensive check done to figure out the history.

Would really appreciate inputs.
Old 22nd June 2023, 17:22   #15552
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd_maverick View Post
Bumping this up. have located a 1st owner Highline AT with 60K on the odo. Ask is 10.5L with Mumbai Registration which seems high to me. Plan is to get a comprehensive check done to figure out the history.

Would really appreciate inputs.
My view on this:-

You're right. The ask of 10.5L is too high. You should negotiate this down to at least 9.7L if not lower.

In terms of the depreciation hit you'll take - in 3 years, assuming you drive the car for 10000 km annually; you'd get a value of at best 4.8-5.0 lakh for the car; assuming it's still in good condition.
Iconoclast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2023, 19:54   #15553

I am currently looking at the below two options for city use. How much should be appropriate pricing range for these?

2019 i20 cvt top model with 22k km - quoted 7.5 lakhs, well maintained
2021 Jazz cvt top model with sub 20k km - quoted 9.5 lakhs

Also, given these models are no longer in production, if I hold these for 4-5 years, can I assume min 50% of current purchase cost as resale value or it is better to buy a new model now.

Thank you and appreciate any feedback.
aeyjay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2023, 20:13   #15554
BHPian

Hello All,
Please suggest right price for buying a Dec 2020 manufactured, Jan 2021 registered Tata Harrier XZA+ Dark edition. Car stands at 25600 kms and is in good condition. KA registered.
Thanks.
Old 25th June 2023, 16:02   #15555
BHPian

What would be a good asking for a very well maintained Honda City ZX CVT 2022, driven for only 4800kms? On road final pricing was 18.4 Lakhs. Kindly advice.
Auto spawn is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks