Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2021, 12:17   #14626

Re: The "USED" Car Price Check Thread

Hello All,

Firstly, this is going to be the first car in my family in over 10-12years, will occasionally be used on weekends, we are all new drivers, and though I've had people suggesting me to stick to a smaller hatchback, not really a fan of the options, I've been considering options like Verna, City, even a 2012 Civic, but the Verna and City listings seem overpriced for their age and Kms. Would appreciate feedback from all the experienced BHPians and help/guide me through the process.
@GTO @V12

I am currently looking at a 2016 Toyota Corolla Altis G Petrol(75K Kms), 1st owner, at a reliable car dealer probably run by a known YouTuber from Mumbai. I do not want to disclose the price just yet.
There is one other car as well, a 2016 Toyota Corolla Altis GL Petrol(50K Kms), 1st owner, again a reliable dealer from Borivali.
Yes, these are Manual cars, should it be a concern?
The OTR for G was 18.5L and for GL was 20.7L

Queries are:
1. How reliable is a MY2016 Corolla, no doubt Toyota makes some of the most reliable cars, but about these years of Corolla idk much about?
2. What instant or future expenses should I keep in mind before taking a leap? A ball park figure, maybe?
3. What should be the price for these 2 models?

Regards,
SAN
S.A.N. is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2021, 13:27   #14627
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Same mfg year, same location, similar variants but priced at 1.5L lesser for the additional odometer running of 25K kms. I understand these are quotes, but assuming the prices to be final and condition of the car is at par, which one would be the right choice?
Please physically try to check both the cars. Since the owner to buyer sales are in the unorganised sector, such price variations are bound to occur.

The physical condition of the car is more important as the condition of the tyres and battery, condition of wheel rims (a good barometer to check how careful the owner was) , external body shell incl paintwork, interiors incl upholstery, driver's seat (this indicates abuse or good use) , condition of suspensions, engine, transmission and usage whether in careful or not careful hands all matter too much.

Many a time I have personally found out that the one quoted cheaper emerged better on all fronts.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th June 2021, 16:07   #14628
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Please physically try to check both the cars. Since the owner to buyer sales are in the unorganised sector, such price variations are bound to occur.

The physical condition of the car is more important as the condition of the tyres and battery, condition of wheel rims (a good barometer to check how careful the owner was) , external body shell incl paintwork, interiors incl upholstery, driver's seat (this indicates abuse or good use) , condition of suspensions, engine, transmission and usage whether in careful or not careful hands all matter too much.

Many a time I have personally found out that the one quoted cheaper emerged better on all fronts.
My question is more from, does low mileage cars deserve any premium in price i.e to an extent of 10% on sale value of car...given both the cars are at par in terms of quality and other measure.
Old 8th June 2021, 17:43   #14629
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
My question is more from, does low mileage cars deserve any premium in price i.e to an extent of 10% on sale value of car...given both the cars are at par in terms of quality and other measure.
A "yes" here only if all other parameters we normally check are in conformity with its low mileage. A car that has been run 25,000 kms and abused by three or four people from a family, who were all driving the car is not worth more than a car that has been driven 50,000 kms by a single owner under his personal care.
The same applies to driver-driven cars as these are also usually not so well handled.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 8th June 2021 at 18:04.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th June 2021, 20:25   #14630
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
A "yes" here only if all other parameters we normally check are in conformity with its low mileage. A car that has been run 25,000 kms and abused by three or four people from a family, who were all driving the car is not worth more than a car that has been driven 50,000 kms by a single owner under his personal care.
The same applies to driver-driven cars as these are also usually not so well handled.
For used cars purchase, apart from the vehicle inspection, it is practically impossible to collect the datas of who & how many has driven the car, was it abused or babied etc There might be few traces of how it would have been handled through inspection of the car. But got your point of "Yes" when all the parameters are same
Old 8th June 2021, 23:45   #14631
BHPian

Hello everyone,

I am 2nd year med student, I stay at my college's hostel (it is mandatory). The college is 55 kms from my home so I prefer coming home on weekends. I take a uber for this but it isn't the cheapest option considering I am a student.

I am planning to get hold of a used bullet 350, as the commute is 70% highway.

What price range should I have in mind while looking for one?
Old 9th June 2021, 04:17   #14632
BHPian

Gang,

What is the best price for a 2012 Honda Civic V Model done 28000 Kms?

The car is listed in our very own classifieds. I haven't seen the car in person. However, it looks taken care well from the pics. The owner seems to be a genuine person from the discussions I had with him. Has all service records and tyres changed before 1000 kms.

Please help with the ideal price to close the deal.
Old 9th June 2021, 09:33   #14633
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kablu View Post
Gang,

What is the best price for a 2012 Honda Civic V Model done 28000 Kms?

The car is listed in our very own classifieds. I haven't seen the car in person. However, it looks taken care well from the pics. The owner seems to be a genuine person from the discussions I had with him. Has all service records and tyres changed before 1000 kms.

Please help with the ideal price to close the deal.
About 3 lakhs tops in Mumbai.

The car looks to be in great shape, but owing to the discontinued model and low GC. Civics in Mumbai are no longer a hot selling car in used market.

You may go upto 3.5 to 4.0 as the car is very low run.

Last edited by 2000rpm : 9th June 2021 at 09:56. Reason: SAW THE AD ON CLASSIFIEDS
Old 9th June 2021, 11:34   #14634
BHPian

Hi there,

2019 Maruti Ertiga VXI Petrol Manual
Kilometers driven: 20,000 km

Quoted price is 9 Lakhs. Have not checked the car in person yet. Is it legit?

Regards
Old 11th June 2021, 10:23   #14635
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.A.N. View Post

I am currently looking at a 2016 Toyota Corolla Altis G Petrol(75K Kms), 1st owner, at a reliable car dealer probably run by a known YouTuber from Mumbai. I do not want to disclose the price just yet.
There is one other car as well, a 2016 Toyota Corolla Altis GL Petrol(50K Kms), 1st owner, again a reliable dealer from Borivali.
Yes, these are Manual cars, should it be a concern?
The OTR for G was 18.5L and for GL was 20.7L
Queries are:
3. What should be the price for these 2 models?
Regards,
SAN[/quote]

These are insanely high prices for a 2016 Corolla. You can find some pretty low quotes on Olx for cars that are lower run than what you have quoted.

Some examples I found on OLX-
This is a 2017 Facelift

The prices which your dealer has quoted are higher by atleast 7-8 Lakhs!
07CR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 11:11   #14636

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
Some examples I found on OLX-

The prices which your dealer has quoted are higher by atleast 7-8 Lakhs!
Thanks 07CR for taking time to reply.
The link 1 that you've attached is actually the car I've mentioned in my comment. This was the AD I came across abd the price seemed too good to be true.
The other G model I mentioned was also advertised for a similar price

The OTR I mentioned was for when the car was new back in 2016, just for reference to fellow BHPians so they don't have to search for the original price.

Either way, though a Corolla Altis is a great and really reliable car, it's still a bit out of budget for me, so going back and forth on it.

Regards,
SAN
Old 11th June 2021, 12:19   #14637
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Found a PAJERO SFX. Asking price is 5.0 Lakhs (2008, 108000 kms run)

I have been thinking of getting a SUV by trading in my Polo for a few months now and this is a car I have always loved since childhood!

The car looks in great condition. The details of the car are available at the link below

https://www.olx.in/item/mitsubishi-p...iid-1639501274

Does it even make any sense to buy a Pajero SFX in today's world?
2000rpm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 14:06   #14638
BANNED

The "USED" Car Price Check Thread-img_20210611_124346.jpg

Folks looking for a good example of Liva in this colour, very particular about colour combination, not particular about other aspects like age and odo reading. Roughly what is price range I should be prepared for? No to Liva if not in this colour.
Old 11th June 2021, 15:41   #14639
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.A.N. View Post
Thanks 07CR for taking time to reply.
The link 1 that you've attached is actually the car I've mentioned in my comment. This was the AD I came across abd the price seemed too good to be true.
The other G model I mentioned was also advertised for a similar price

The OTR I mentioned was for when the car was new back in 2016, just for reference to fellow BHPians so they don't have to search for the original price.

Either way, though a Corolla Altis is a great and really reliable car, it's still a bit out of budget for me, so going back and forth on it.
Regards,
SAN
I grossly misread your original comment.

In that case, if you manage to get the price for the GL down by a lakh, IMO, it would be a great buy. On the reliability part, rest assured there won't be any issues (as long as the Toyota showroom certifies it's current condition), but some of major spares could be costly.
07CR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 22:42   #14640
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
Attachment 2166457

Folks looking for a good example of Liva in this colour
This is the Liva dual tone which was on sale only during the last 2-3 of it’s life cycle. So expect to get it between 5-6 Lacs. It will be better if you can find one in diesel as that engine is much more capable than the 1.2 petrol.
Aakash118 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks