Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2021, 15:04   #14641

Re: The "USED" Car Price Check Thread

Can experts comment on this please?

Between an Audi A4 DSG diesel and BMW 320d diesel N47 engine (assuming both belong to 2015 and 50k on odo and same price), I see several experts recommend the 320d over the A4. The primary reason for this being the reliability issues with the DSG. There are innumerable stories of people caught offguard with this issue in this forum and this is listed in every official review as a con.

But I see a lot of timing chain related failures in the N47 resulting in serious or even irreparable engine damage. This also fails with little or no warning. However, this does not seem to be captured as a con in the official review as well. Even in the forum I only see couple of such failures.

Questions that arise are -

1. Is this because the chances of failure of timing chain is way too less and can be ignored?
2. The owners of N47 engine, do they proactively change the timing chain (spending couple of lakhs) or ignore it because chances of failure are remote? I understand this timing chain was not designed to fail and hence extremely cumbersome to change.

Thanks.
Old 13th June 2021, 16:39   #14642
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post

Does it even make any sense to buy a Pajero SFX in today's world?
I've always been a Mitsubishi fan and still have their two other models in the family, Lancer and Cedia. The single biggest issue with Pajero is any planned/impending ban on old diesel cars. The engine, as you know, is old and large capacity, and what you are looking at is nearly 15 years old. On top of that, you are in a metro. All the above are sure shot candidate for any emissions related ban
WhiteKnight is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th June 2021, 19:17   #14643
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawad0222 View Post
Hi Everyone,

I have recently come across a Volvo XC 90 2008 registered HR number with the owner located in delhi. The car has run 83000 kms, and he is the third owner. It has a V8 petrol engine. What do you think should be the fair price of this volvo.

Regards
First you have to make sure you will be able to get an NOC to transfer this vehicle as it is over 10 years old. Since you seem to be in Aligarh, the NOC, even if available, might not be issued for that location. So you would have to get it registered further away in UP if possible. As far as price is concerned, it will be residual value as the car is now over 13 years old. Something like 5 to 8 lakhs max if it is in good condition and the NOC can be obtained.
Lobogris is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2021, 00:33   #14644
BHPian

Thanks Lobogris for reply to my query. I don't think that transfer of the car to Aligarh will be a problem as it is not a part of the NCR. Regarding the price I too feel after doing some research that it should be around 7 lacs. I have spoken to the owner, a fellow bhpian only, who said that the car is well maintained. My major worry here is the maintenance, as spending more than 50-60 thousands a year will be a unwise for me. But I have always wanted to drive a volvo and a V8 will be an experience in itself.
Old 15th June 2021, 13:36   #14645
BHPian

What would be the best price?

The car in question is a Jeep Compass
Limited, Diesel, Manual
2019 mid made
done 6k kms only
seems to be in pristine condition
northstar* is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2021, 14:36   #14646
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar* View Post
What would be the best price?

The car in question is a Jeep Compass
Limited, Diesel, Manual
2019 mid made
done 6k kms only
seems to be in pristine condition
First of all it's really rare to find a car that is almost new like this. Do search if it has any accidental history and reason for such low mileage. I'm not an expert but normally a 2019 Compass limited should cost around 18-20 but with this low mileage I'm not sure. May be more. What's the asking price.
Carpainter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2021, 15:14   #14647
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
First you have to make sure you will be able to get an NOC to transfer this vehicle as it is over 10 years old. Since you seem to be in Aligarh, the NOC, even if available, might not be issued for that location. So you would have to get it registered further away in UP if possible. As far as price is concerned, it will be residual value as the car is now over 13 years old. Something like 5 to 8 lakhs max if it is in good condition and the NOC can be obtained.
The seller is already the 3rd owner of a Volvo XC90 within 13 years! I would really try to understand why the car has changed is many hands. And if you are satisfied with the answer, def get it inspected by Volvo service centre before anything else.

The few Volvo owners I know tend to keep them for at least a decade.
Old 15th June 2021, 16:07   #14648
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpainter View Post
First of all it's really rare to find a car that is almost new like this. Do search if it has any accidental history and reason for such low mileage. I'm not an expert but normally a 2019 Compass limited should cost around 18-20 but with this low mileage I'm not sure. May be more. What's the asking price.
The asking price is 22 which is on the higher side. I haven't seen the car in person and is yet to start discussing the price. The mileage is unbelievably low is what makes me think.
Old 15th June 2021, 16:44   #14649
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by click View Post
The seller is already the 3rd owner of a Volvo XC90 within 13 years! I would really try to understand why the car has changed is many hands. And if you are satisfied with the answer, def get it inspected by Volvo service centre before anything else.

The few Volvo owners I know tend to keep them for at least a decade.
Thanks Click for your input. The current owner has had the car for the last two years. He owns multiple cars and had bought this one because of the V8 engine. As per him the first two owners were a part of the same family.
Usually the trend which I have observed with the volvo ownership is that most of the people keep the cars till the warranty lasts or a few years more.
You are right, the car must undergo a rigorous checkup at volvo ASS before any decision is made.
Old 15th June 2021, 16:52   #14650
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar* View Post
The asking price is 22 which is on the higher side. I haven't seen the car in person and is yet to start discussing the price. The mileage is unbelievably low is what makes me think.
I think 19-20 would be a good deal. Don't fret too much about mileage. For a 170hp engine Compass mileage is fair enough. You'll enjoy driving the beast. From my experience the only downside for Compass is lack of space and specially cabin width and boot space. If you're okay with that then this is probably the best used compass you can get. But do take your mechanic with you and check the engine. A low run diesel can have some problems. Overall it's a sweet deal.
Old 15th June 2021, 17:23   #14651
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawad0222 View Post
Thanks Lobogris for reply to my query. I don't think that transfer of the car to Aligarh will be a problem as it is not a part of the NCR.
I would urge you to research this. NOC from Delhi is not issued to every place outside NCR. It is only issued to certain limited places where vehicle density is low. Please review the list for UP. I believe Aligarh is not in the list of places where NOC can be obtained. Secondly, after 10 years, often NOC is not issued at all. So keep these factors in mind.
Old 15th June 2021, 19:14   #14652
BHPian

Mod note: Fixing Quote tags, please use Preview before submitting posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
I would urge you to research this. NOC from Delhi is not issued to every place outside NCR. It is only issued to certain limited places where vehicle density is low. Please review the list for UP. I believe Aligarh is not in the list of places where NOC can be obtained. Secondly, after 10 years, often NOC is not issued at all. So keep these factors in mind
Surely I will look into this. Thanks for the reminder.

Last edited by Jaggu : 15th June 2021 at 19:51.
Old 16th June 2021, 09:16   #14653
BHPian

My 1.3 diesel Scross is almost 5 years old with 60k on the odo. Is it a good idea to upgrade to a pre-owned XUV500? I stay at Bangalore and have observed that a lot of IT folks are permanently leaving town for their native after selling off their cars. What should be a reasonable purchase price for XUV 500 (W6 / W8)which is less than 5 years old and run less than 50k?
Old 16th June 2021, 11:14   #14654
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
My 1.3 diesel Scross is almost 5 years old with 60k on the odo. Is it a good idea to upgrade to a pre-owned XUV500? I stay at Bangalore and have observed that a lot of IT folks are permanently leaving town for their native after selling off their cars. What should be a reasonable purchase price for XUV 500 (W6 / W8)which is less than 5 years old and run less than 50k?
Hello Ankan,

Unless you absolutely NEED the extra boot space/3rd row seats & the ground clearance, I don't think you should go in for an XUV. Remember, you know how you've maintained your Scross & don't know how the XUV is maintained by the other guy.

Having said that, apart from electronic bits, the XUV is reliable mechanically & you shouldn't have any troubles.

Try to find the W11 variant. 6 airbags makes it safer. A ballpark figure of 17L if you buy from a dealer & 16L if you find an individual seller.

Regards,
Powertrain

Last edited by powertrain : 16th June 2021 at 11:15.
powertrain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 11:59   #14655
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertrain View Post
Try to find the W11 variant. 6 airbags makes it safer. A ballpark figure of 17L if you buy from a dealer & 16L if you find an individual seller.

Regards,
Powertrain
Thanks for your reply. I found a XUV500 W10 (in the classifieds) from 2017 with asking price less than 16L. The odo is less than 15000 KM. Is this too good to be true?

Last edited by ankan.m.blr : 16th June 2021 at 12:03.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks