Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2021, 19:19   #14941
BHPian

Re: The "USED" Car Price Check Thread

I have a question to people here who are seeking used cars. Do you blindly believe the mileage mentioned on the odometer of the car? Especially ones being sold by a dealer.
When I was in market for a car, I completely wrote off used cars due to me having absolutely no knowledge of what to check and don't want headache of unexpected broken parts once I get the car.

I am asking this question because my brother sold his 130K Kms done Honda City to a dealer in September 2021 and less than a week after that, the same car was listed on OLX as 80K Kms. I always knew odometer tampering was being done outside but seeing it happening with our family car was surreal. This further cemented my decision to not even consider used cars.
raksrules is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th November 2021, 23:07   #14942
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
I have a question to people here who are seeking used cars. Do you blindly believe the mileage mentioned on the odometer of the car?
No, i don't believe blindly. I always have a rule of buying car from direct owner not more than 4 years, such that i have access to extended warranty as well as service history.
Ponbaarathi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2021, 06:00   #14943
BHPian

Quote:
I have a question to people here who are seeking used cars. Do you blindly believe the mileage mentioned on the odometer of the car? Especially ones being sold by a dealer.
I just bought a used car from a dealer, and I verified the mileage quoted by him by checking the service history of the car from the car's authorised service station. That in my opinion is the only way to verify the quoted mileage.
nvldvr is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st November 2021, 13:03   #14944
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have a question to people here who are seeking used cars. Do you blindly believe the mileage mentioned on the odometer of the car? Especially ones being sold by a dealer. ..
I went with Honda certified, the guy had service history to show me and the dates added up. Its a 7 year old car but in great condition.
rajushank84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2021, 14:56   #14945
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandhyab View Post
Yes its V6. Was it in this thread itself? Will go back and read them, .

Its Silver. I will take pics and post.

Going to pick Jeep Compass tomorrow, and was thinking of handing it over, but I might listen to my heart and put it in the classifieds, would make me very happy if it goes to someone where it can be loved,
Would like to explore the possibility of bringing this to Bangalore look forward to you sharing the pics here
Old 22nd November 2021, 10:02   #14946
BHPian

Hello All,

My dad is looking to sell his 2010 Innova G variant and 2012 Wagon R VXi and replace them with a single vehicle.

Both vehicles in Mumbai/mumbai registered and 2nd owners (innova was bought from a family member).

Innova, 2010 Jan, G variant.
run only 69k kms, mechanically in almost perfect condition.
No accident vehicle, only minor scratches.
Tyres will need replacement.
We are expecting 5.5-6lac

Wagon R VXi, 2011 end manufacture, 2012 registered.
Run 39k kms, mechanically good.
No accident, minor scratches.
Tyres in good condition.
Expecting 2.3/2.5lac

Both vehicles in Stock condition,working power windows/power adjustable mirrors.
Both cars with comprehensive insurance.

Is our expected price correct ?
Feedback appreciated.

Thanks
Gaur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2021, 10:10   #14947
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Service records. Move on if there's any hesitancy or reasons given for it's absence. Even if some of the most recent records are from an external (FNG) garage, one can infer when the odometer numbers have been cooked.

For instance, in your brother's case, the dealer when asked by potential buyers for service records will give BS to such requests or provide only service records till 80k. Tough to fake the records if your brother had got it serviced from Honda service centers.
Old 22nd November 2021, 19:50   #14948
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_v12 View Post
Hi! Would you by any chance still be looking for one? I might have found something but I'm unable to PM you or email you.
Thanks for your response and apologies for the delay on my side. Being 'newbie', I think you should be able to PM me, but am not able to PM you yet.

Its been some time since your post, so I think the opportunity is lost. Anyway, thanks again and do let me know if you find something equivalent.
Old 23rd November 2021, 19:58   #14949
BHPian

I am looking to sell off my 2013 XUV 5OO (94k kms, 1lac servicing done and zero dep policy just renewed). How much should I be expecting?
Its Bengaluru registered (E City).
Old 24th November 2021, 18:53   #14950
e46
BHPian

Dears TBHP ians,

I am actively looking for a compact car for city riding. My wife will primarily use it. Need expert opinion about the prices quoted for the below options:

1. '12 Santro Xing/ 38 K/ 1.9 lacs (well maintained)
2. '19 i10 Grand Magna/ 27K/ 4.75 Lacs
3. '21 Tiago XT/ 8K/ 5.2 Lacs

Location is in WB.
Old 25th November 2021, 19:08   #14951
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46 View Post
Dears TBHP ians,

I am actively looking for a compact car for city riding. My wife will primarily use it. Need expert opinion about the prices quoted for the below options:

1. '12 Santro Xing/ 38 K/ 1.9 lacs (well maintained)
2. '19 i10 Grand Magna/ 27K/ 4.75 Lacs
3. '21 Tiago XT/ 8K/ 5.2 Lacs

Location is in WB.
Since you mentioned the location as WB, for your reference, I sold my 2011 i20 top model for 1.85L. It had its tax due though. Regardless, 1.9L for a 9 year Santro is a LOT. It should be around 1.25L.
Pancham is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2021, 00:05   #14952
BHPian

I was speaking with the dealer from whom I purchased my last car (2012 Honda City V AT), as I'm in the market for a new one. He told me about a Blue 2009 BMW 520d with Beige interiors, first owner (company owned), which has had all its services done at BMW Authorised dealers. I'm yet to confirm how many KMs it has run. It has insurance until Oct 2022 and it had 45% NCB in the last renewal. He's offering it for 8 Lakhs. This is in Bengaluru.
Now, I was not even thinking of BMW 5 series till today. I was looking for something new and better than the City.
He sent me a video of the car, and it looks to be in a decent shape. I still have to visit and check it out in person. But, it's got my mind going bonkers. I had a BMW 3 series at the back of my mind. But this was unexpected.

Is 8L a decent price for a one owner 520d in Bengaluru?
pratik1992 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2021, 04:40   #14953
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamer012 View Post
Hello Members

I am looking for a sedan to replace my 1.6 S-cross. preference is as below:

1. Should be 2015 or younger manufactured vehicle
2. Mileage <=65K
3. Single owner vehicle
4. Must be an Automatic
5. Fuel = Diesel

1. BMW 525 D
MY - 2012
ODO - 56 K
Asking price - 13.8 OTR

2. Toyota Camry Hybrid
MY - 2014
ODO - 74K (Battery replaced in 2019 and tires are relatively new)
This is a corporate customer car and registered in the name of a company in (JK cement)
Asking Price - 15.25 OTR

3. Volkswagen Passat
MY - 2018
ODO - <30K
Asking price - 22.00
This is Punjab registered vehicle

Grateful if you guys can suggest which deal is worth considering.
I am yet to discuss the sale of my s-cross with any of these dealers.
How much have you done with your S-Cross 1.6 till now, I am referring to Kilometers driven.

If it was driving pleasure and heart over head, then go for BMW.`Price seems to be okay on that and it has not done that many miles as well. Just check what all parts will be up for replacement as the car is 9 years old. Check with a CH/PB based delaer, BMW was very common in Punjab and Chandigarh, you may get a good deal or like a 530D.

Toyota - You can never go wrong with them, they are build to last a lifetime and are like tanks. And since it is a corporate customer car, it might have been maintained well too plus could be chauffeur driven.

Passat - I personally do not trust VW but then if you have set your eyes on it, it might be good deal. Did you check with any dealer in Chandigarh, I dont know if they have that Car market in Sector 26 (Chandigarh) every Sunday. That is also another place to check for good used cars.
Old 26th November 2021, 09:11   #14954

I picked up 2013 Ford Figo1
4 tdci (The model below Titanium) used by my friend for 2.4 lakhs. Pro : It had got 88k on odo. Vehicle used mostly on highways, Engine sound is absolutely fine, No major accidents
Cons: one side of the car is fully repainted due to minor accidents (There is orange peal.. Thank god its a white car), Rear door is mildly mis aligned and both rear door dont open that easily. There are squeaks and rattling on all doors and dash. Front break pad has to be replaced.
Others: I had to sweat for three weekends cleaning the car inside out.. Car had Michelin with 30k on them, unfortunately front tyre got burst while navigating through a narrow lane, due to side wall damage by sharp object. Replaced both front tyre with Conti cc6 (UC was not available) Missing the silent feel of Michelins.
Service plans: plan to replace all fluids, Fan and Ac belts, fuel filter, copper washer in the injectors, Car was not returning good mileage so added wurth diesel additive for a tank full, will do an engine flush and replace 5w30 twice, second fill with additives.
1.4 Tdci users kindly let me know if i need to cover any preventive maintenance if any for 90K
Old 27th November 2021, 21:50   #14955
BHPian

Greetings fellow BHPians!

I am a newbie and this happens to be my first post.

I am negotiating for a 2019 Tata Hexa XTA which has done about 32000 Kms. The car is registered in Chandigarh. Prima facie, it appears well kept with 3-4 minor scratches.

The asking price is 13.5 Lacs. May I get an estimation of the fair price for this car?

Thanks!
Prashant1286 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed