Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2015, 15:40   #10666
BHPian

re: The "USED" Car Price Check Thread. (Online tool : Page 1)

Hi All,

This is my first post on Team BHP (apart from the intro post).

Currently I own 2012 Verna Fluidic SX VTVT and its my daily car. I am in market for second car - a hatch primarily to be used for short distances by wifey (less than 20-30 kms) within city which includes her commute to work.

Choices when we were thinking for New Car:

1. Hyundai i20 Elite Sportz (My wife's favorite)
2. VW Polo Comfortline (My Favourite)

However wifey being a very new (read still needs training) driver hence she was rightly apprehensive about buying a NEW 8 Lakh hatch. Hence after lot of deliberation we started looking around for a used hatch.

Visited bunch of pre-owned car dealers, but we got outrageous prices for moderately to high used cars (40000+ on ODO)

One fine day my BIL got news that their long time (10+years) neighbour's i10 is for sale and they were quoting around 3 lakhs.

Visited and took a test drive of the car. Below are the positives & Negatives:

Positives:
1. Single owner 2012 (April) i10 Kappa (1.2) Magna model.
2. Less than 7000Kms on the ODO. Sparingly used.
3. Very good cosmetic condition (may not need any retouching)
4. Peppy engine and did not feel like 3 yr old car.
5. AC & electronics "seem" to be working fine (I did not have pen drive to test the audio)

Negatives:
1. Gear shifts are too heavy (I am not comparing to Verna - but even by any standards the gear shifts were heavy)
2. Hard steering - Did not feel like power steering (but can be due to under inflated tyres)
3. Very Heavy clutch
4. Not sure what additional costs will be incurred as this car was very sparingly used (7000 km in 3 yrs tells the story)
5. Stupid rats had punctured the fuel line which was repaired at local garage.

After a visit to Hyundai Service center (Sharayu Hyundai Mhape), we got quote of 18K overall which included Transmission oil change and Clutch overhaul and engine decarbonization.

Question - Please suggest whether buying the above car in 2.6 -2.7 lakhs will make sense or not? Also if I do go ahead with purchase what future servicing would be required and estimated expenses? Let me know if I should post a few pics.

Thanks for your help.
Cheers.
Shashank
Old 7th August 2015, 16:08   #10667
Distinguished - BHPian

If the car condition checks out, then the price is good for the age of the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashankrt View Post
1. Gear shifts are too heavy (I am not comparing to Verna - but even by any standards the gear shifts were heavy)
2. Hard steering - Did not feel like power steering (but can be due to under inflated tyres)
3. Very Heavy clutch
These 3 points are concerning, since the i10 has a light steering, light clutch, and a smooth shifting gearbox. I've driven my friend's 2012 i10 extensively over 1.5 years and base my statements on that.
  • While the gear shift might feel heavy due to the clutch, it does not explain why the clutch is problematic after just 3 years/7000 kms. Do you know if an inexperienced driver has been using the car, that might account for clutch wear?
  • Also, get the tire pressure corrected, and a wheel alignment done, and then see how the steering feels. If its still heavy, you've got a problem.
  • Can you also check the service history of the vehicle, to see what was performed and when?
Quote:
Originally Posted by shashankrt View Post
After a visit to Hyundai Service center (Sharayu Hyundai Mhape), we got quote of 18K overall which included Transmission oil change and Clutch overhaul and engine decarbonization.
Meh, this reads like a con-job. Can you get an opinion from another Hyundai, or a friendly neighbourhood garage (FNG)?
  • A gearbox oil change is only warranted if the car has been idle for a good portion of its 3 year lifespan, since the oil might have aged or separated out. Otherwise, there's no reason to go messing with the gearbox oil in a car so young, if its been used regularly.
  • Clutch overhaul seems like another con - do you feel symptoms of clutch wear/damage? The clutch heaviness could be a variety of factors, including the clutch cable requiring adjustment and lubrication (a simple & cheap fix) rather than a drastic exercise like a clutch overhaul.
  • Engine decarbonization - totally uncalled for with just 7000 km on the odo. You can drive 10 times that distance before you need to think of such things. Moreover, this engine decarb entails pumping in a cleaner along with the fuel; its just a way to bill you for more. You yourself found the engine peppy!
  • What is the reason Sharayu Hyundai gave for the steering heaviness, since that's not covered in their recommended actions? Can you also ask them to explain the rationale behind their recommendations?

Last edited by arunphilip : 7th August 2015 at 16:24.
arunphilip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2015, 16:41   #10668
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
If the car condition checks out, then the price is good for the age of the car.

These 3 points are concerning, since the i10 has a light steering, light clutch, and a smooth shifting gearbox. I've driven my friend's 2012 i10 extensively over 1.5 years and base my statements on that.
Car was standing still for major part of year I doubt it was regularly serviced.
Whenever the car was driven - it was most of the time by lady who may have been inexperienced. But even then I don't think it should have damaged the clutch.

Will check service history and also have another test drive tomorrow as the car is now back after basic service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
Meh, this reads like a con-job. Can you get an opinion from another Hyundai, or a friendly neighbourhood garage (FNG)?
Agreed. even I feel this is a con job. Engine decarbonization definitely not needed. Clutch overhaul - will get second opinion.
Oil changes - May be given that car was stationary for most part of year and may be required. Lets see what FNG says.

Cheers,
Shashank
Old 8th August 2015, 17:42   #10669
BHPian

Team, need some advice. A friend of a friend of mine, is selling his 2007 good condition Mitsubishi Pajero. He is the first owner and the car has done 1,00,000 kms and is in good condition. What will be a good price for the car? and is a 8 year old Pajero with 100k kms on it, a good buy financially? I dont want to end up spending money on repairs and upkeep. Also, I live in Manali and how difficult would it be to source spares part for it. Thanks.
Old 9th August 2015, 00:00   #10670
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiedriver View Post
I think something between 10-12 lakhs depending on condition would be the price to expect. You haven't mentioned he variant and condition.
Thanks for your response Zombiedriver!!
The condition is excellent and it's the top model. Has sun roof as well.

Can I expect 13L in Bangalore?
Old 9th August 2015, 01:33   #10671
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balajisv View Post
Hey Guys, looking for the best price to sell Merc Benz C220 CDi, 2008 model, White, 75K run.
I'm the second owner and car is registered in Bangalore.
I am not sure which model you have. If it is the recently discontinued last year one you should get about 13-15 in Bangalore.
Old 9th August 2015, 17:54   #10672
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balajisv View Post
Thanks for your response Zombiedriver!!
The condition is excellent and it's the top model. Has sun roof as well.

Can I expect 13L in Bangalore?
If you mean the avant-garde by top Model. Then yes I think 13-14lakhs is the price to look for
Old 9th August 2015, 18:07   #10673
Senior - BHPian

What will be the maximum market price for the following car -

Honda City iVtec SMT
October 2010 model
31,000 kms
Delhi registration
Old 10th August 2015, 07:05   #10674

I am looking for a used car within 80k for a daily use of 2-3 kms. The cars am getting quotes and am looking for in these range are Maruti 800, santro zip and tata nano. How do I make sure that the car has been kept well for these kind of old cars?
Old 10th August 2015, 08:44   #10675
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muke31 View Post
it got the Laura TSI for 8.5 lacs,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik2772 View Post
My uncle got a pre-owned V MT, December 2010, in good condition for 5 Lac (New Delhi).
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMane View Post
Asking price-5.25lakh
Quote:
Originally Posted by powertrain View Post
Anywhere between 6.5-7.0L should be a fair price to pay.
I'm looking out for a Laura TSI. While the first choice would be to buy a Goa registered car, it's going to be difficult to find one. So I don't mind out of state cars. Going by the huge ranges of prices here, I'm wondering if I can get a decent example for around 5L. I am planning mods amounting to almost 5-6 L (see my post in Robi's Laura TSI thread).

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3774319

I don't intend transferring the registration.

Last edited by pedrolourenco : 10th August 2015 at 08:50. Reason: Inserting link to my post in Robi's thread
Old 10th August 2015, 09:08   #10676
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

What should be the price of an used Outlander in Bangalore?

1) 2009 model, done 76,000 kms
2) 2010 model, done 60,000 kms

I don't have much details of either of them except the above. I may have a look at them this week.

Thanks!
Old 10th August 2015, 09:43   #10677
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
I'm looking out for a Laura TSI. While the first choice would be to buy a Goa registered car, it's going to be difficult to find one. So I don't mind out of state cars. Going by the huge ranges of prices here, I'm wondering if I can get a decent example for around 5L.

I don't intend transferring the registration.
Your best bet is to pick up from Mumbai or Pune. I suggest you search, shortlist and go there. In 5 L its a dream in Karnataka.
zulfi hansi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2015, 10:41   #10678
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
Your best bet is to pick up from Mumbai or Pune. I suggest you search, shortlist and go there. In 5 L its a dream in Karnataka.
That's what I plan to do. A friend recently picked up a Laura VRS for 5.5 L in Mumbai.
Old 10th August 2015, 14:10   #10679
BHPian

you might get 2010-11 Laura TSI Ambi with >80-90K for 7 lac in Bangalore. People quote high price in Bangalore because they paid high OTR. I know there are few cars available priced between 7 and 7.5. There are owners who are waiting to get good price for their Laura TSI, they know that there are people who wants to pay good money for good Laura TSI so they wait and not do distress sale. Laura TSI has become a favorite used car buy due to its flexibility of TSI engine for mod jobs.

i paid 8.5 for Dec 2012 , 25KMS Laura TSI Ambi model, the used car price in Bangalore is very high comparable to other location. It is not possible to get Laura TSI for 5-6 lacs in Bangalore unless its a desperate sale from Seller.
but think about the road tax you need to pay if you get the car from other state and re-register. its going to cost additional.. i am waiting to do Stage 1/2 in next few months. i am now enjoying it in stock condition.

-Mukesh
Old 10th August 2015, 14:28   #10680
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muke31 View Post
you might get 2010-11 Laura TSI Ambi with >80-90K for 7 lac in Bangalore. People quote high price in Bangalore because they paid high OTR. I know there are few cars available priced between 7 and 7.5.
That is a bit high. But then you get a Bangalore registered car so no problems with RTO.

Quote:
There are owners who are waiting to get good price for their Laura TSI, they know that there are people who wants to pay good money for good Laura TSI so they wait and not do distress sale.
I plan to stay well clear of such sellers.

Quote:
Laura TSI has become a favorite used car buy due to its flexibility of TSI engine for mod jobs.
Favourite only with members of Online Forums. Most other people have no clue. When buying you have to behave like that. "Petrol car? Bad milege. Cannot offer you much."

Quote:
i paid 8.5 for Dec 2012 , 25KMS Laura TSI Ambi model, the used car price in Bangalore is very high comparable to other location. It is not possible to get Laura TSI for 5-6 lacs in Bangalore unless its a desperate sale from Seller.
but think about the road tax you need to pay if you get the car from other state and re-register. its going to cost additional..
Fortunately I do not live in Bangalore so the above is not applicable to me. Even though I may buy an out of state car, I'll avoid Bangalore cars just because of pricing.

Quote:
i am waiting to do Stage 1/2 in next few months.
So am I. Only difference is I don't have the car as yet.

Quote:
i am now enjoying it in stock condition.

-Mukesh
It's still a very enjoyable car even stock.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks