Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2018, 15:33   #1291
Senior - BHPian

Re: The 'Wiper Blade' Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
There seems to be some problem with my windshield itself that is causing the sound and jumpy movement.

As suggested by you, I requested my mechanic to remove the wiper arms and clean the base. Before doing that, he wanted to check whether the problem indeed lies there. So he lifted the wipers and switched them on. Both of them moved freely, without any hindrance or sound thereby ruling out the need for opening them.

Yet to zero in on the problem and a solution for the same .

The angle at which the wiper blade touches the windshield also makes difference (it should be 90 degrees), over time the wiper blades start touching the windshield at an lower or higher angle (<90 or >90). Search for the term "windshield wiper angle" on google. To correct the angle you will need to bend the wiper arm back to correct angle by plier.
mercedised is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th June 2018, 11:14   #1292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
The angle at which the wiper blade touches the windshield also makes difference (it should be 90 degrees), over time the wiper blades start touching the windshield at an lower or higher angle (<90 or >90). Search for the term "windshield wiper angle" on google. To correct the angle you will need to bend the wiper arm back to correct angle by plier.
Thank you. You were spot on with your diagnosis. In my case, the passenger side wiper sleeps on the windshield at an an angle that is certainly not 90°; and it is the one that keeps on chattering endlessly .

I tried to adjust the blade and the arm but they are hard metal and hence a little too stubborn for my unskilled hands. Hope the mechanic - if the concept goes into his head - will be able to do some magic there.

The issue of incorrect wiper angle with reference to the windshield, has been explained here.

Quote:
For the blade to squeegee the water off the windshield, they need to be at 90 degrees to the windshield, or as close as possible, to work efficiently - in both directions. Imagine using the squeegee at a gas station by pushing it across the windshield instead of pulling it. You will notice that the angle of the rubber "blade" will be on a different angle; pushing as compared to pulling.

To fix this common problem, (that is, chattering on the upward wipe,) twist the metal arm so that the blade is rotated against the upward swipe direction. Pull the arm away from the windshield and have your mechanic twist the blade down, toward the bottom of the windshield.

Now there is a caution that goes along with this. Whoever performs this manoeuvre can't be too aggressive. Too much twisting will cause the blade to chatter in the opposite direction. This is a step-by-step procedure that requires a "touch."

Make an adjustment

Try the wipers

Make another adjustment

Try the wipers
dailydriver is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2018, 11:16   #1293
Senior - BHPian

Guys, is there a good online store which sells Bosch wipers ? Suggestions for any brand other is appreciated.
Old 12th June 2018, 12:04   #1294
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Guys, is there a good online store which sells Bosch wipers ? Suggestions for any brand other is appreciated.
I ordered Hella conventional wipers from here. I spent Rs. 550 for 3 wipers (2 front and 1 rear wiper). The purchase experience was very good and the product has been pretty good so far (used for 1 week now).

Hope it helps.
Old 12th June 2018, 12:35   #1295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
I tried to adjust the blade and the arm but they are hard metal and hence a little too stubborn for my unskilled hands. Hope the mechanic - if the concept goes into his head - will be able to do some magic there.

The issue of incorrect wiper angle with reference to the windshield, has been explained here.

You will need Combination Plier, hold the wiper arm from as close to the point where the blade is attached to the arm as possible and try and twist it with mild force. Have a look at this video
mercedised is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2018, 09:38   #1296
BHPian

Recently ordered Bosch Clear Advantage from here, discount not so much, but free shipping, no damage and MFD in 2017
Old 18th June 2018, 11:38   #1297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
I ordered Hella conventional wipers from here. I spent Rs. 550 for 3 wipers (2 front and 1 rear wiper). The purchase experience was very good and the product has been pretty good so far (used for 1 week now).

Hope it helps.

Me too. I ordered Hella conventional for my XUV (26"/19"). Got a call from the seller confirming the order and the sizes, and it was delivered in a couple of days via FedEx. HTH
Old 26th June 2018, 11:56   #1298
Senior - BHPian

I am planning to change the Wiper Blades on my 2014 Honda City and wanted to confirm the size here: is 26 inch and 14 inch Combo the correct size for the 2014 City?

Also, thinking of going for the Bosch Clear-advantage - any recommendations welcome.
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2018, 16:21   #1299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
I am planning to change the Wiper Blades on my 2014 Honda City and wanted to confirm the size here: is 26 inch and 14 inch Combo the correct size for the 2014 City?

Also, thinking of going for the Bosch Clear-advantage - any recommendations welcome.
Not sure about size but I am using Bosch Clear Advantage on my Polo. They are Ok. Does the job. Can't say they are exceptional or anything. But they are frame-less and have a low profile which is good.
rageshgr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2018, 10:19   #1300
BHPian

I have recently tried MyTVS Frame less wiper blades for my Creta.
Bought it off Amazon , they were about 2/3rd the cost of the Bosch Clear Advantage (incl. delivery charges)

Got them changed at a Hyundai ASC . Got to use them today - (just a single swipe!)
Looks like they will do the job fine.
Old 27th June 2018, 10:46   #1301
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post

Same query. Looking for replacement for 2014 Honda City.
Old 27th June 2018, 11:53   #1302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post
I have recently tried MyTVS Frame less wiper blades for my Creta.
Bought it off Amazon , they were about 2/3rd the cost of the Bosch Clear Advantage (incl. delivery charges)

Got them changed at a Hyundai ASC . Got to use them today - (just a single swipe!)
Looks like they will do the job fine.
Do let us know the how they hold up over-time. I fitted the same wipers. They are okay for the city but I feel they are causing some amount of misting up right after a swipe. This means right after the wiper swipes, the windshield looks like frosted glass till the mist evaporates (usually 1-2 seconds). But if the rain is heavy and the wipers are on continuous wipe mode, then there isn't enough time for the mist to evaporate before the next swipe. This causes a little bit of visibility issues. Its not so bad in the city but on the highway especially at night it becomes a pain.

I'm still on these wipers but have kept the OEM wipers in the boot so that I can swap them quickly should it become too difficult.

Do let us know next time you use the wipers if you face similar issues.
Old 27th June 2018, 12:22   #1303
BANNED

Given our weather if your blades last two years, then that is it. Be prepared to change them even more frequently. I find on my Hondas, the blades start failing in about two years.
Old 27th June 2018, 13:00   #1304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arijitkanrar View Post
Do let us know the how they hold up over-time. I fitted the same wipers. They are okay for the city but I feel they are causing some amount of misting up right after a swipe. This means right after the wiper swipes, the windshield looks like frosted glass till the mist evaporates (usually 1-2 seconds). But if the rain is heavy and the wipers are on continuous wipe mode, then there isn't enough time for the mist to evaporate before the next swipe. This causes a little bit of visibility issues. Its not so bad in the city but on the highway especially at night it becomes a pain.

I'm still on these wipers but have kept the OEM wipers in the boot so that I can swap them quickly should it become too difficult.

Do let us know next time you use the wipers if you face similar issues.
I am confronting the same issue with the wind shield frosting phenomena.
I have tried several brands of wiper(bosch/hella/unbranded frameless) and cleaners(colins/sonax/imported ones etc..) and also tried different wind shield washer(Maruti OE, Wurth, Ford etc). Even using different car wash shampoo(Formula-1, Meg Gold Class..) had futile results.
All seems good in summer. Come rain its foggy and wiper action exacerbates the case, it almost blinds the view during night pour.
Old 27th June 2018, 13:46   #1305
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulivan View Post
I am confronting the same issue with the wind shield frosting phenomena.
I have tried several brands of wiper(bosch/hella/unbranded frameless) and cleaners(colins/sonax/imported ones etc..) and also tried different wind shield washer(Maruti OE, Wurth, Ford etc). Even using different car wash shampoo(Formula-1, Meg Gold Class..) had futile results.
All seems good in summer. Come rain its foggy and wiper action exacerbates the case, it almost blinds the view during night pour.
Sounds like the blade is not making good contact on the glass to me.

Bend the wiper arm to increase tension
sridhu is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks