Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2015, 22:55   #526
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tyre pressure gauge and portable inflator pump / foot pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
Last year I had brought emporis pump after referring to team-bhp. But, I have hardly used it fearing for the fuse. First time when i tried, it worked fine. Next time, it blew the fuse and after replacing the fuse, i tried using it with 'engine running', but still the fuse went off. Since then i stopped using it.
Any idea why this is happening and how to avoid it?
The way to use a Emporis pump is not to run it continuously for more than 15 to 20 secs. Using it continuously till desired pressure is reached caused the fuse in my Civic to blow. So i ran it intermittently switching it on off after 15 to 20 secs max and topped up the air in the tires. Try this once and see.
Old 5th November 2015, 14:19   #527
BANNED

On a related note from a user interface point of view the air filling units at the petrol stations are so wrong.

Let me explain. I live near a bunk which gets lots of customers. Therefore a lot of them check their tire pressures. So there is always a crowd of 5-6 bikes and 3-4 cars at the air filler. This is from 5 am to 10 pm or so.

Now, the guy has to set the pressure on the wall mounted unit and go to each vehicle to do his job. Each vehicle has different pressure requirements and so to fill up 10 vehicles he goes to the wall unit 20 times. To me it seems the heights of inefficiency and wasted motion.

WHY can't they have a simple pressure controller at the end point itself. Meaning there should be a simple electronic whatchamecallit at the air outlet which the worker can calibrate per vehicle. Obviously the wall unit is needed for the driver/rider.

The users currently spend 10 minutes to fill air and get out.

Assuming an average salary of 10k a month (I can hear snickers from the stock brokers here). Your ten minutes is worth about Rs.7/- multiply with ten vehicles is 70.
5 times that per hour is 350. 15 hours of operation is 5250. 30 days is 1,57,000/- of absolute waste.

And I won't even calculate the idling fuel wastage.

A mere 100 rupees of parts assembled sensibly will make it so much better.

Last edited by hangover : 5th November 2015 at 14:23.
hangover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2015, 14:46   #528
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangover View Post
On a related note from a user interface point of view the air filling units at the petrol stations are so wrong.
That is a nice bit of thought and very well explained!
You are counting from side of customers to which outlet folks may not be very empathetic
(and the customers may say the 10mins come from the non-paid/non-8work-hours of the day).
I like the idea though, it would surely save time to serve one vehicle and thus the outlet/person should be able to make more money
(or serve more customers if they don't charge).
Old 5th November 2015, 16:04   #529
Distinguished - BHPian

I remember seeing one petrol pump in Bangalore long back which had a remote control to set the pressure. The attender would use the up/down arrows on the remote(In addition to the buttons on the wall mounted gauge) to set the required pressure and start filling. The filling machine would as usual beep when the set pressure was reached. Neat. Dont know what is preventing the widespread use of this
Old 8th November 2015, 20:14   #530
Senior - BHPian

People who are using Emporis pump can you tell me how accurate or off the mark the Emporis gauge is ? I use it to top up tyre pressure every 10-15 days and notice the gauge does not seem reliable.

Thanks
Old 8th November 2015, 20:22   #531
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
People who are using Emporis pump can you tell me how accurate or off the mark the Emporis gauge is?
IMO, it is better to have a separate gauge rather than even thinking of relying on the gauge given in the inflator unit.

With constant vibration that the gauge experiences, during air top-up, the accuracy takes a beating hence the reliability goes down. The gauge provision on these units are more of marketing tactics. I am not referring to the standard inflator but the local ones available in the market.

For knowing the gauge accuracy, do cross check with any fuel station one that you believe in.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2015, 23:23   #532
BHPian

Hi Folks,

I received my COIDO 6312D air compressor with digital gauge today and tried it on my bike to check it out. I must say, the compressor works great and the speed is up to mark and satisfactory. Setting the desired pressure in the digital gauge is really helpful and the compressor stops working after crossing the set pressure by almost +1 or +1.5 psi and then settles at +0.5 than the preset pressure.

However, I am facing one issue consistently: Whenever I connect OR disconnect the pump's hose to the tyre nozzle, I loose some 3 or 4 psi pressure depending on the fact how quickly/slowly I could tighten or loosen the screw in the hose around the nozzle. The pump does not comes with the quick connect hose :(

For my bike's rear tyre, I preset the pressure to be 36 psi, and after filling the desired pressure when I removed and reconnected the pump, it showed that the air pressure had decreased to 28 psi :( essentially loosing 3-4 psi when I disconnected after filling and again connected to check the pressure.

Is there a way around this problem, so that I do not loose any pressure after filling up to the desired pressure. We(myself and a couple of my other friends in my Society) want to use this for our regular use for our cars n bikes, and not just for a rare flat tyre during a trip, where this doesn't matters, as I can always fill it up a little more based on experience on how much pressure I loose during disconnection.

Can there be a way that I connect an intermediate quick connect hose with the pump, which I can then use to connect to tyre nozzle.

Tx.
Old 17th November 2015, 17:25   #533
BHPian

Hello,

I have been using LIMI Digital tyre inflator since last 1.5 years.

I use it every Sunday to check & top-up the air in my both cars.

I have also used it to inflate punctured (Fully deflated) tyres but have not faced any problem and have not observed any overloading.

Since LIMI is a Pune based company, they also have a after sales service center in Pune.

I had purchased the inflator from an accessory shop for INR 2700/-.

Compared to Chinese versions, this is definitely a reliable option.
Old 20th November 2015, 12:02   #534
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurminder_81 View Post
We(myself and a couple of my other friends in my Society) want to use this for our regular use for our cars n bikes, and not just for a rare flat tyre during a trip
Please don't. These are not built to withstand everyday abuse and you will burn the machine in a matter of weeks. Just keep it for occational top-ups and punchers during road trips.
Old 20th November 2015, 16:13   #535
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Please don't. These are not built to withstand everyday abuse and you will burn the machine in a matter of weeks. Just keep it for occational top-ups and punchers during road trips.
I second that. In my own society we had bought something similar for kids cycles and footballs. Of course the same thing with an adapter can fill your tire.

One of our office bearers had a scooter with a leaky tube. He would use it each day and go to office. And refill again on return.

That device just gave up the ghost within 10 days. Now kids had to manage without an emergency air pump. No cycle. No football. All because the adult wanted to save a few rupees.

So yeah, please buy whichever you like. But it's only a stop gap measure till the vehicle goes to a proper petrol pump.

Maybe you're in the middle of the Sahara and your landie springs a leak. And your "trusted" helper Mbango absconded with your last goat skin water bottle. And you know there are some Shifta bandits around.

That is a good occasion to use it.
Old 21st November 2015, 16:22   #536
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Thanks for the tip. Will keep this in mind.

I returned my COIDO 6312D digital tyre inflator and got COIDO 2115DG inflator which comes with a quick connect hose. Tested it on my bike and there was absolutely minimal air pressure loss while disconnecting or connecting it with the tyre air valve. Highly satisfied with the performance and accuracy.
gurminder_81 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2015, 15:10   #537
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurminder_81 View Post
..... We(myself and a couple of my other friends in my Society) want to use this for our regular use for our cars n bikes, and not just for a rare flat tyre during a trip....
I also wanted to use something regularly for my Innova instead of wasting time on unreliable 'digital' pressure gauzes at petrol pumps. After loosing 4 different inflators including a LIMI, i imported following :

1. A twin cylinder Slime inflator : Two cylinders meant extra power, low noise, quick fill. Its connected to batteries directly through alligator clips, sparing the cigarette lighter circuit and fuses. Even the alligator clips are of thick metal and insulation, unlike the Chinese ones which twist to slightest pressure. It causes very low noise in my housing society unlike the previous single cylinder Chinese inflators.

2. A highly accurate tire pressure gauze that can be used even in dark. That is Michelin MN-12279 Digital Programmable with Backlit.

I also keep a 4-headed valve stem tool to tighten/check the valve stem occasionally.

I use these regularly for last 14 months and never had to approach a petrol pump's crowded 'hawa-wala'. Another advantage is correct measurement on 'cold' tires before leaving home.
Attached Thumbnails
Tyre pressure gauge and portable inflator pump / foot pump-40026_heavyduty_back150x150.jpg  

Tyre pressure gauge and portable inflator pump / foot pump-411tv7tsvfl.jpg  

Last edited by DwarkaDelhiWala : 22nd November 2015 at 15:37.
DwarkaDelhiWala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2015, 20:24   #538
BHPian

I've been using this since a year now : Joes Racing 32307

I ordered it from US

http://www.amazon.com/Joes-Racing-32...s+racing+32307

The main benefits of this gauge apart from accuracy is that it has a Air Pressure Release Button.

I do have the Emporis pump but I've kept it only for emergency.

What I usually do is go to the pump and fill tyres around 35-36psi (I actually need 32 psi). Then when I come home, after some time when tyres get cold again, I use the above gauge and release extra pressure to match exact of 32psi.
Old 23rd November 2015, 08:03   #539
BHPian

Got Michelin digital pressure gauge from Flipkart. It is really good.
Old 23rd November 2015, 11:00   #540
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msiva75 View Post
Got Michelin digital pressure gauge from Flipkart. It is really good.
Which model was that? And how much it came to be?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks