Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2017, 09:28   #631
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tyre pressure gauge and portable inflator pump / foot pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Friends, has anyone used these valves which claim to given an indication on low air pressure ? Absolutely no clue on what PSI basis it shows low or normal !]
Kindly avoid them for a couple of reasons.

Firstly, they are calibrated for a particular PSI(green=32PSI in case of MGA ones). So if your car manufacturer recommends 36PSI(suppose), it won't work as intended in your case.

Secondly, they are known to develop leaks over a period of time, so its best to avoid them.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th February 2017, 09:43   #632
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxh View Post
I have the exact same issue. The accuracy is horrible of the Windtek inflator. It's not a predictable, fixed error- It varies. Had I known this, I would have never purchased it. Would have paid even double to get an accurate inflator. That's the whole point of an inflator, and Windtek doesn't do it properly. Nowadays, I am back to getting my tires inflated at the petrol pumps.
I have now settled with my Windek machine. I set it to 32 while filling. It "feels" right when I am driving, so I now use it for my regular top ups. Even the petrol pump meters are inaccurate, so why bother queuing up there.
amit.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2017, 09:55   #633
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
... Firstly, they are calibrated for a particular PSI(green=32PSI in case of MGA ones). So if your car manufacturer recommends 36PSI(suppose), it won't work as intended in your case.
Thanks. I top up 35 PSI on my (RFT) tires as that feels right. Manufacturer suggests 36-34 front and rear respectively I think. I never felt the fuel station meter to be correct. May be I should get a reliable portable inflator as rated high by majority here. RFTs take more time to fill at fuel stations.

An inflator brand or model suggestion would be highly appreciated. Mine is 225-55-17 RFT Pirelli tires

Last edited by shajufx : 26th February 2017 at 09:56.
Old 28th April 2017, 10:41   #634
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
....I should get a reliable portable inflator as rated high by majority here. RFTs take more time to fill at fuel stations.....
I cross checked with many friends but could not come to a single brand or type for my usage. Finally I took a chance with Amazon today, ordered ResQTech inflator (4k). Its reviewed to be good and reliable, will update here after I do my testing.
Tyre pressure gauge and portable inflator pump / foot pump-resqtech.jpg

Tyre pressure gauge and portable inflator pump / foot pump-res.jpg
Old 29th April 2017, 19:27   #635
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
.....ordered ResQTech inflator (4k). Its reviewed to be good and reliable, will update here after I do my testing.
Pleasantly surprised with the real time performance of this tiny little thing. All my RFT tires were at 29 PSI and set pressure at 34.5, all 4 tires were done in 5 mts flat. Its very silent compared to few others I have seen with friends. With the diesel engine ON, you barely hear this guy working. Auto-cut off is perfectly executed on this. I have 12 v output below the dash, below rear AC blower and one in the boot too. Used the centre one and the wires reach all 4 tires without an issue.

I highly recommend this. It comes with 2 year warranty too.

Here is a Youtube review I found yesterday, its just 2 months old:
shajufx is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th May 2017, 19:12   #636
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Is this a good choice for larger SUV tyres ? A friend needs one for his Safari so wondering if the Windek would fit the bill.
I have now been using it for a like a year. Like paragsachania said, it might take a good long time before you manage to fill up a Safari's tyre from a completely flat condition. However, topping up doesn't really take much time. It takes me a minute or less to top up under 2-3 PSI which I do once a month. The cable is long enough to reach the rear wheels of a sedan.
Old 30th June 2017, 10:37   #637
BHPian

Has anyone bought the Bergmann Typhoon Car tyre inflator? It is available at Amazon for over 2k (including shipping charges). However, I see just 4 reviews.

http://www.amazon.in/dp/B06XW683G2?_...dp_o_pC_nS_ttl

Can this group please give me their valuable opinions? I am in the market for a tyre inflator for my S-Cross. However, in quite a fix over Goodyear, Michelin and this one. I believe this is the same Bergmann which makes the car vaccum cleaner, which is quite good.

Thanks
Old 30th July 2017, 12:01   #638
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
I have repaired a non-functional compressor few months before that almost resembles Coido and can say that in terms of design all of these 12v inflators are same when it comes to compressor size. It is only the outside shell/covering that really differentiates each one of these and nothing else.
I am looking for a heavy duty compressor to top up air in my XUV5OO's tires and maybe fill a tire that is completely flat as well (incase of an emergency). Narrowed down to Windex and Heavy Duty ResQtech. Windex is half the price of ResQtech, and given your findings above, am wondering if I should go ahead with Windex...
Old 30th July 2017, 16:40   #639
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldshivabull View Post
Has anyone bought the Bergmann Typhoon Car tyre inflator? It is available at Amazon for over 2k (including shipping charges). However, I see just 4 reviews.

http://www.amazon.in/dp/B06XW683G2?_...dp_o_pC_nS_ttl

Can this group please give me their valuable opinions? I am in the market for a tyre inflator for my S-Cross. However, in quite a fix over Goodyear, Michelin and this one. I believe this is the same Bergmann which makes the car vaccum cleaner, which is quite good.

Thanks

I have a Michelin inflator since last year. I use it to top up my car tyres monthly. No issues so far. Reason I bought this was
a. Michelin brand
b. Auto cutoff at the set pressure
c. Digital display of the pressure
Old 30th July 2017, 17:02   #640
Distinguished - BHPian

I am completely baffled by these products. They seem to come at a wide range of prices, with some looking identical. No doubt the majority are from China, which may or may not mean low quality.

Even when we see known world brands such as Michelin or Dunlop, how are we to know that the name on the box has anything at all to do with the companies we are thinking of?

What is a reliable product and what is not? How to know!

At least ResQTech is an Indian company. Which also could mean anything. Plainly, like China, India's manufacturing ranges from superb to rubbish, not to mention being possibly outsourced to, or rebranded import from, China.

I have a garden hose, expensive and very high quality. Far better and, so far, longer lasting than anything from my local hardware shops. The limited audience that show an interest in it assume I imported it. I'm quite proud to be able to say, "No way! Made in India!"

Would like to be able to say the same of a tyre inflator. Made in China does not necessarily disqualify. Hey, the computer I'm sitting at, etc etc etc.

ResQTech?

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_2rahjo View Post
I have a Michelin inflator since last year. I use it to top up my car tyres monthly. No issues so far. ...
Crossposted.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 30th July 2017 at 17:03.
Old 6th August 2017, 20:37   #641

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryshnon View Post
I finally took the decision of going for Windek.

I saw that you tried to use the pump with an AC wall socket, using a converter but it didn't provide enough Amps. Are you aware of how many amps are required for the inflator to work using a converter?

I guess, this question goes to others as well (sorry, if this is not about cars) - I have a wheelchair which runs Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires, with rated tire pressure of 145 PSI. Usually, I got it inflated once a month at gas stations around my house, and they topped it up to 80-110PSI after giving me weird looks, thinking I'm trying to blast my tires. They made it ample clear that they'll not be responsible if they explode.

Recently, I moved to a different area and the gas stations/puncture shops around me, are not able to fill up the tires beyond 50-70PSI. I'm guessing there's a max pressure maintained in their pumps as well (?) and 70 is more than enough for normal customers. Maybe it's the language difference, maybe they are scared that the compressors will get damaged pumping such high PSIs, but most of them outright refuse to entertain my request.

Sometimes, I get it filled at Kalyani Motors, Kundalahalli, Bangalore, (whenever I am visiting my friend's place nearby) and it manages to fill up till 120, without any issues.

Long story short: I want to purchase an Air Compressor I can use at my leisure. There are many of these available on Amazon IN, except they all work with a 12V DC outlet. I do have a 2008 Wagon R but I am not sure if it will be able to support such a heavy equipment through cigarette lighter socket. So my question is:
  1. Are Coido/Windek capable of filling up to 145PSI? I have never seen any review/video of them being used up to such high PSIs
  2. Is there any cheaper AC to 12V DC adapter I can buy to use the pump with wall sockets? Power sockets in our house are rated 15Amps, so if there's a converter which can return up to 15Amps 12V DC, it should work I suppose.

Last edited by Eddy : 7th August 2017 at 06:44. Reason: Removing video from quotes
Old 7th August 2017, 01:47   #642
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
I saw that you tried to use the pump with an AC wall socket, using a converter but it didn't provide enough Amps.[/list]
I did not use a converter. I don't have one. I used an old laptop battery that was barely providing 7V. However when it was fully charged and was dispensing over 11V, the compressor worked.
I am pretty sure that the AC to 12V DC cigarette lighter converters should be good enough to make this equipment function like you use it in a car battery. As for the PSI readings, the device says it can compress air to fill in upto 300 PSI of pressure. However I don't have anything to test that claim. I think you should go by a trial and error method to find out and return the item if it doesn't do what the manufacturer claims it does.
I can tell you this much that without having to switch the ignition on, I can top up all the four tyres of a hatchback by about 5-10 PSI and it causes no difference to the battery's performance.
Old 7th August 2017, 05:18   #643
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I guess, this question goes to others as well (sorry, if this is not about cars) - I have a wheelchair which runs Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires, with rated tire pressure of 145 PSI. Usually, I got it inflated once a month at gas stations around my house, and they topped it up to 80-110PSI after giving me weird looks, thinking I'm trying to blast my tires. They made it ample clear that they'll not be responsible if they explode.
"Rated tyre pressure?" Is that what it says on the side of the tyre itself? I thought that was the big number beyond which the manufacturers could not guarantee their tyres to go on existing.... not the recommended pressure for use.

I don't have any experience of working with compressed air (well, maybe blowing some metal swarf off a workbench once) but the pressures you mention sound industrial-plus to me. I'd be concerned.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2017, 07:01   #644
Senior - BHPian

cycle tyres and wheel chair tyres (similar to cycle) tyres have higher rated pressure than car tyres. I think narrower the tyre, more the pressure needed for lesser rolling resistance.
lurker is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2017, 09:08   #645
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have a wheelchair which runs Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires, with rated tire pressure of 145 PSI.
Quote:
Long story short: I want to purchase an Air Compressor I can use at my leisure.
Please buy floor pump used for road cycles. Depending on valve (Presta/Shrader) used in wheelchair, get valve adapter as well if needed.
Sharing couple of floor pump models from Decathlon, both are rated upto 145 PSI.

Floor Pump 1

Floor Pump 2
sukiwa is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks