Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2016, 09:02   #571
BHPian

Re: Tyre pressure gauge and portable inflator pump / foot pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Most car tyres and two wheeler tyres have Shrader valves and bicycles with narrow tyres come with Presta valves. The Decathlon product mentions it is compatible with both Shrader and Presta valves. I have a cycle hand pump bought from Decathlon and the connector has a small cap that can be opened to switch between valve types and I'm guessing this foot pump will also be similar.
This should be handy for small top ups, but will need some effort, definitely easier than a hand pump though.
Yes the valves are compatible but I am asking more about the effort to pump. Did you ever have to inflate say from 20 to 30 with hand pump? How tough was it?
Old 12th July 2016, 09:11   #572
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwarkaDelhiWala View Post
My experience is that using a pump to be directly connected with battery with alligator clips instead of cigarette lighter plug is safer.
I concur this. I had fare share of blowing fuses due to pump getting heated after three tyres, drawing more than necessary current. Then I shifted to Viair 88p, till so far not an issue (3 years+). Usually the pumps which connect directly to battery also built better, less nosier, has better heat dissipation.
RaguHolla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2016, 12:08   #573
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post
Anybody has tried pumping car tyres with such a pump? Or is it foolish idea?
Looks pretty good and in my experience, Decathlon accessories are generally good quality except for their basic value range offerings.

Also I have used a twin cylinder mechanical one for the last 9 years and it has worked flawlessly every time whether for car, cycle or inflatable mattress/bed purposes.

It DOES take time (~15 minutes) and muscle-power though to inflate a totally flat tyre to ~32 psi so do budget that into account
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2016, 12:47   #574
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post
Did you ever have to inflate say from 20 to 30 with hand pump? How tough was it?
Never tried that to inflate car tyres, use it just for the bicycle! For the car I have an inflator that works on the 12V socket
Old 12th July 2016, 13:20   #575
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Also I have used a twin cylinder mechanical one for the last 9 years and it has worked flawlessly every time whether for car, cycle or inflatable mattress/bed purposes.

It DOES take time (~15 minutes) and muscle-power though to inflate a totally flat tyre to ~32 psi so do budget that into account
Can you educate us where you purchased the twin cylinder one ? Hard to locate in many places here
Old 12th July 2016, 14:20   #576
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Can you educate us where you purchased the twin cylinder one ? Hard to locate in many places here
My fault should have specified I bought it from Halfords in the UK.
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2016, 18:20   #577
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Bean View Post
Today I came across ResQtech inflator. For 999/- its is extremely portable and backed by a lot of confidence by the company (1 year no questions asked warranty). Does anyone have any view on this? Is it worth it? Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
I picked up one last week......I'd take this Made in India unit over any of the cheap Chinese pumps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Bought this ResQTech Tyre Inflator for my Harley.

Cheers...
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
This is really nice and compact. Was sitting on the fence for a long time on buying a inflator. This sealed the deal. Just placed order for one!

Thanks for sharing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Thanks! I was also on the fence, esp with the nearby filling station deciding to remove the air thingie. Had a coupon with amazon, redeemed it. So 899 for me
I had picked up one in November 2015 when I bought a new S-Cross. Fortunately, did not have the need to use it...till today.

0-25 psi in about 7-8 minutes including two short cooling off breaks was very impressive.

It is built a lot better than the cheap Chinese one I had previously and less noisier too.

Rating = 5 stars for functionality. Lets see how it scores on longevity
Eddy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th July 2016, 10:40   #578
BANNED

@itwasntme; What is intriguing me is that the connector rubber has lasted for nine-years. I find it going hard in about five to six. Then the tip does not fix and/or seal properly. I have bought stuff from Halfords but the rubber life is not dependent of whether it is Halfords or any other decent brand.
Old 29th July 2016, 17:47   #579
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post

My opinion is, it is excellent, worth an investment.
Hey Manim.

Thinking of picking up this tyre inflator. You bought it last year, happy with the product? I read a review or two on Amazon where someone said that the auto cut off doesn't work. Have you faced such issues?
Old 29th July 2016, 19:46   #580
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aston Singh View Post
Hey Manim.

Thinking of picking up this tyre inflator. You bought it last year, happy with the product? I read a review or two on Amazon where someone said that the auto cut off doesn't work. Have you faced such issues?
I use it about once a month, and so far I am a very satisfied customer!
(The auto-cut-off works well)
manim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2016, 11:59   #581
Senior - BHPian

I have a generic foot pump, like the one in the image below.

I want to inflate a ball using this. Do I need some extra attachment (needle) for the purpose ? Where can I buy one ?

Rohan
Attached Thumbnails
Tyre pressure gauge and portable inflator pump / foot pump-carbikefootairpump.jpg  

Old 4th August 2016, 08:29   #582
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
I have a generic foot pump, like the one in the image below.

I want to inflate a ball using this. Do I need some extra attachment (needle) for the purpose ? Where can I buy one ?

Rohan
You can get the needle in most sports shops.
Old 12th August 2016, 17:43   #583
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
It is built a lot better than the cheap Chinese one I had previously and less noisier too.

Rating = 5 stars for functionality. Lets see how it scores on longevity
Is the pressure gauge reliable? I read on Amazon that it has +/- 5 Psi variance which is significant.
Planning on this one Michelin 3140C http://http://www.amazon.in/gp/produ...f_rd_i=desktop
But it is a bit costly so I am hesitating.

Last edited by amit.s : 12th August 2016 at 17:45.
Old 13th August 2016, 23:33   #584
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit.s View Post
Is the pressure gauge reliable? I read on Amazon that it has +/- 5 Psi variance which is significant..
Hi Amit

I guess it won't be too accurate since the primary purpose of the machine is to pump air. But honestly, I haven't checked.
Old 15th August 2016, 10:54   #585
BANNED

If it's for using at home it need not run off your battery or lighter outlet.

A piston type air compressor that plugs into your 220v supply will be better. These are quite economical. I think Elgi sells them for ~7k. You'll get cheaper ones in Delhi and Mumbai.

It's used for all spray painting work and pneumatic tools.

The plus point is piston type compressors have higher air flow something like 2 or 3 cubic feet per minute. And they have storage tanks so that you don't always have to start the motor.

I haven't used it for my car, but I have one at the factory and it's worked fine for almost 5 years. We've taken it to various site works over the years in my car boot and it never gave any problems.

Once in a while you have to release the air else moisture may collect in the tank.

Car inflating valve connectors are available outside. I don't know the cost. I'll try to find out. That will plug into this compressor without any issues.

I feel this type of oil cooled compressor is better than oil free ones. Less noisy.

With 3 CFM you can inflate your car tire from zero to 30 psi within 2-3 minutes.

Your only problem will be finding a 220v outlet in the Himalayas.

An offbeat thought (for Himalayan roadies) - if it's for emergencies only, then you can carry just compressed air in a tank. A 10 liter compressed air tank is only the size of a large pressure cooker. That will be enough to fill up 4-5 car tires.
hangover is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks