Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2021, 18:09   #856

Re: Tyre pressure gauge and portable inflator pump / foot pump

So I'm going to try and keep this post as short as possible. My BMW 630d M Sport came back from a near 2 lakh rupee front rim (s) replacement. The cause: Bent rim from hitting a pothole at high speed. Now a lot of this can and will be attributed to BMW's appalling run flat tyres which are definitely not suited for Indian roads (will obviously be changing to tubeless once they're due for replacement). But that begs another question, what if it wasn't entirely caused by the run-flats?

With an increasing number of cars opting for lower profile tyres with bigger rims for the sake of looks, bent/cracked/broken rims (alloys) are becoming an issue of increasing concern for us Indian motorists. On another note, with fuel prices now ridiculously high, who doesn't want to save fuel?

So I decided to do a little research on tyre pressure and whatnot and accquainted myself on the basics. I filled air (regular not nitrogen) at 7 petrol pumps at different locations within Hyderabad and not a single one of them had accurate air pressure (even the new ones). I filled air at 32/33 PSI and the car's TPMS showed it at 38-40 on average and my air compressor showed a similar reading. Some pumps were way higher at 42-45 PSI readings. Absolutely shocking

I'm quite disappointed by this as one would expect that a petrol pump would have accurate machines at the least. But it does make sense as pumps don't charge anyone for air, what incentive do they have to install, maintain, or calibrate these machines? Not entirely sure as to what can be done about this, would complaining help considering that even a new machine at a recently opened pump was also innacurate.

Secondly, one very important thing to remember is to always fill air at cold. In essence, never fill air in hot tyres, hot air pressure can vary greatly. The best thing to do is to fill air in the morning when your car has been sitting for the night.

Finally, BUY AN AIR COMPRESSOR! I cannot stress this enough, this is the most accurate method of filling air not to mention it is tremendously useful in an emergency situation such as a flat tyre etc. Furthermore, if you decide to carry more people/load and need to adjust your air pressure on the go, this should prove very helpful. The best one I've used yet is the TUSA Digital Air Compressor which costs around 3000 on amazon, and imo it's one of the best out there. Attached the link below (I am in no way associated with this company) https://www.amazon.in/dp/B075F5BB3C/...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Tyre pressure gauge and portable inflator pump / foot pump-screenshot_20210726172412_amazon.jpg

I've never known much about this, but after a 2 lakh rupee repair bill, I'm surprised to know the impact air pressure has on a car. After filling the right pressure, there's a noticeable difference in the way my cars drive, ride comfort is much better, and there's roughly a 10% improvement in fuel efficiency, which is desperately needed when petrol is almost 110 rupees.

To conclude, I would say buy an air compressor and fill air every week at cold, this should make a considerable difference to your car and wallet and probably make driving a lot more enjoyable. Happy motoring!
Oggy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th July 2021, 19:42   #857
BHPian

Can anybody please suggest me which one is the best inflator out there? Reliability is top priority. I am confused between these:

1) TUSA Digital Inflator

2) Bergmann Typhoon Digital

3) Woscher Pro

Any other suggestions are welcome too.
batish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2021, 12:25   #858

In my opinion, following 3 options are great for the job:
A. Black and Decker car charger only model (using this)
Tyre pressure gauge and portable inflator pump / foot pump-screenshot_20210727121950_amazon.jpg

B. Black and Decker car and home charger model (too pricey)
Tyre pressure gauge and portable inflator pump / foot pump-screenshot_20210727122121_amazon.jpg

C. Mi portable air compressor (if u don't want the tangle of cables)
Tyre pressure gauge and portable inflator pump / foot pump-screenshot_20210727122331_mi-store.jpg
Old 28th July 2021, 22:26   #859
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post
Can anybody please suggest me which one is the best inflator out there? Reliability is top priority. I am confused between these:

1) TUSA Digital Inflator

3) Woscher Pro

I had recently bought the Bergman digital inflator and must say very happy with its performance even though my usage has been less. The USP of this product is its motor which is indeed heavy and you feel the sturdiness when you hold it. Fills the Tyre very fast and I could see the increase of 1 PSI in couple of seconds. I had a Michelin Tyre inflator which went for a toss within few years with very less usage. The pain point is there is no place to repair for such a branded product. I felt this one is much better. It sounds much lesser and sturdy compared to Michelin. So it’s worth a good option from my point of view
SNayak is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st July 2021, 10:05   #860
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post

1) TUSA Digital Inflator

3) Woscher Pro

I have purchased 3 Bergmann typhoon tyre inflators for family and a friend. All 3 are working good and they have a power rating of 150W. Buy them only if you dont have a Maruti car at home since they have 12V sockets with max rating of 120W.

Bergmann inflator sells for 1600 or something during sale period.
PaddleShifter is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 23:34   #861
BHPian

Which Tyre inflator is suggested for Maruti Suzuki Swift 2016 petrol model, considering the fuse ratings of this model car?

I need a durable, dependable/ reliable one with pressure setting and auto-cut off feature. [I won't buy the Mi make unit ] Target usage= for the long drives, hill areas etc.

Please suggest, thanks in advance.
Old 4th August 2021, 23:41   #862
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
Which Tyre inflator is suggested for Maruti Suzuki Swift 2016 petrol model, considering the fuse ratings of this model car?
I would suggest that you go with MGA tyre inflator for peace of mind.

Apart from that, any inflator with max 120 watts or 10 Amp rating will do.

I know these two inflators that fulfill the 120W rating limit.

1. Tusa tyre inflator:

TUSA Digital Car Tyre Inflator - 12V DC Portable Air Compressor with LED Light (1+1 Year Warranty) https://www.amazon.in/dp/B075F5BB3C/...ing=UTF8&psc=1

2. Woscher tyre inflator:

Limited-time deal: Woscher Pro Power 802D Digital Car Tyre Inflator Air Pump with Digital Display, Auto Shutoff https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07K5KV9V4/...YAVMVK9Y578VPJ
PaddleShifter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2021, 16:32   #863
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddleShifter View Post

2. Woscher tyre inflator:

Limited-time deal: Woscher Pro Power 802D Digital Car Tyre Inflator Air Pump with Digital Display, Auto Shutoff https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07K5KV9V4/...YAVMVK9Y578VPJ
Thanks for this. I didn't need this, because my years old resqtech and Windek were still working fine. But hey, shiny Digital thingy!!
No, actually, matching up pressures used to take a long time in the analog versions, so I guess this should take care of that problem.

Incidentally, this is the fastest I've ever bought anything, even from a store. I ordered at 1130 am, and received it at 230 pm. It would have taken me longer to drive out and get it from a local store!
mayankk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2021, 17:31   #864
Distinguished - BHPian

I recently purchased an Mi tyre inflator, the primary draw is that I do not have to start the engine and use the 12V outlet. The second was that it has a digital gauge and auto shut off.

First impressions after charging the device and using it was that it was fairly quiet, that is until I removed the headset I was wearing - this thing is LOUD. It takes quite a bit of time to inflate from 30-32 for a 235\70 section tire. But it was able to do it without any problems for all 4 tires, the shut off feature is not very precise I felt. It did once reach 33 and then stopped, I released some air to maintain at 32. Wish it had a quick disconnect nozzle and a longer air hose, I do not like the idea of this thing`s wait resting on the valve, I think it was not provided to maintain the cute looks perhaps .

My foot pump was a lot faster, but 18 pumps X 8 = I`m getting old. I`ll live with some noise and a slower inflation for now.
Kosfactor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2021, 18:04   #865
Senior - BHPian

I have a Resqtech portable air pump which runs off the car 12 V supply. But have used it only once in last 5 years. To inflate a partially deflated tyre due to puncture.
OTOH I use this pump quite often to top up my car and bicycle tyres. Tyre pressure gauge and portable inflator pump / foot pump-screenshot_2021080517563218_b410f9f52bc9ee83120c1c75b9d52a5c.jpg
It takes about 10/15 strokes to raise the car tyres by 2/3 psi. Which is what is needed most of the time, since I have TPMS.
On the bicycle with Presta valve it again takes 10/15 strokes to raise the pressure from 70 to 80 psi.
The pump is light weight and has a pressure guage attached, which is quite accurate
goandude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2021, 19:00   #866
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Incidentally, this is the fastest I've ever bought anything, even from a store. I ordered at 1130 am, and received it at 230 pm. It would have taken me longer to drive out and get it from a local store!
Thats some speed. My local grocery person doesnt deliver stuff this quick.

Did you try this? I want to have a feedback as I have a Bergmann tyre inflator that can draw a peak power of 150W while my Maruti Suzuki car is equipped with a socket of 120W rating only.

If this is good then I would also go for it.

Is the body metal or plastic?
How much time approx do you think it will take from 0 to 32 PSI for a 215R16 tyre based on your experience? My Bergmann takes around 2-3 mins max.

Apologies for too many questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
I recently purchased an Mi tyre inflator, the primary draw is that I do not have to start the engine and use the 12V outlet. The second was that it has a digital gauge and auto shut off.
I`ll live with some noise and a slower inflation for now.
if we consider inflating a fully deflated 215/R16 tyre, how many such tyres (rough estimate) can this Mi tyre inflator fill (0 to 32PSI).

Regarding hanging the inflator, I would like to jokingly add that ever since I watched the first episode of Mirzapur (season 1), i find it a bit uncomfortable to hold the Bergmann tyre inflator in hand. Keeping it on the ground makes it dance in a funny manner.

Last edited by PaddleShifter : 5th August 2021 at 19:04.
Old 5th August 2021, 19:02   #867
BHPian

I bought the below pump from Amazon for 1100 and it fills up a total dead Tyre to 35psi in 2minutes.

Size is super compact and easy to carry too. I feel that these type of pumps may have a lifecycle of 100times

Tyre pressure gauge and portable inflator pump / foot pump-img20210802wa0020.jpeg
SS80 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th August 2021, 19:08   #868
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS80 View Post
I bought the below pump from Amazon for 1100 and it fills up a total dead Tyre to 35psi in 2minutes.

Size is super compact and easy to carry too. I feel that these type of pumps may have a lifecycle of 100times

Attachment 2188877
Could you please post a picture of the actual unit in your hands for a size up
Old 5th August 2021, 19:18   #869
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Could you please post a picture of the actual unit in your hands for a size up
While the above (Woscher 1610) is good, especially at a price of 999/-, I would recommend Woscher 810 model (middle variant) because it has a peak pressure rated at 130PSI vs 100PSI for 1610 model and 300PSI for 802D (Rs1899/-).

Size wise 810 is not much bigger than this 1610 model (802D is a full sized inflator).
PaddleShifter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2021, 19:38   #870
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddleShifter View Post

if we consider inflating a fully deflated 215/R16 tyre, how many such tyres (rough estimate) can this Mi tyre inflator fill (0 to 32PSI).

Regarding hanging the inflator, I would like to jokingly add that ever since I watched the first episode of Mirzapur (season 1), i find it a bit uncomfortable to hold the Bergmann tyre inflator in hand. Keeping it on the ground makes it dance in a funny manner.
It may take perhaps 15 minutes, so I would guess it will do 1st one to 35 and next one to about 20. I probably wont do more than 2-3 PSi top ups, such machines wont last if used for 0-30 Psi inflation is what I feel. The hose is small in length, but its not heavy or uncomfortable to hold and certainly does not jump around. I`m thinking of using a small box to support it while inflating.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks