Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2021, 19:25   #841
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tyre pressure gauge and portable inflator pump / foot pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
What are the options for poetable inflators which doesnt need a power source?
That's a lovely typo! Could, I suppose, be one way of inflating tyres .

Serious answer: foot pump.

And why not? It might be incredibly tedious for inflating a completely flat tyre, but most of the time we do not need to do that, just adding a psi or two. Foot pumps were all drivers had, for a long, long time.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2021, 00:30   #842
BHPian

Quote:
BUYING HELP :: What are the options for poetable inflators which doesnt need a power source?
I am using a Mi Tyre Inflator which has an inbuilt battery. It is quite a handy product but takes quite some time compared to other 12V Tyre Inflators and is a bit noisier.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...-inflator.html (Xiaomi's Mi Tyre Inflator)
adi.mariner is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2021, 03:26   #843
BHPian

Quote:
BUYING HELP :: What are the options for poetable inflators which doesnt need a power source?
Initially I was using portable digital inflater which needed 12v input. But I felt it was very cumbersome to use it every time if I had to check the air pressure. From past 4 years I have been using digital pressure gauge(multi purpose, window smasher and seat belt cutter) and hand air pump to measure and top-up air. It has been super quick, silent and convenient. I feel hand pumps are better than foot pumps, possibility of losing balance when operating foot pump is high comparatively.
Tyre pressure gauge and portable inflator pump / foot pump-174b913b3d34296.jpg
Tyre pressure gauge and portable inflator pump / foot pump-screenshot_20210308085318.jpg

Last edited by nandrive : 8th March 2021 at 03:38.
nandrive is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th March 2021, 23:13   #844
Distinguished - BHPian

Got the Mi Portable inflator. A friend had it and was impressed with the capability. Costs 2500/- on Mi website. Shipping was super fast and received it in a day in Chennai from Bangalore. Yet to try it on the bike.

Tyre pressure gauge and portable inflator pump / foot pump-20210310_165848_hdr3.jpg

Tyre pressure gauge and portable inflator pump / foot pump-20210311_1533542.jpg

Tyre pressure gauge and portable inflator pump / foot pump-20210311_1534542.jpg

Tyre pressure gauge and portable inflator pump / foot pump-20210311_153448_hdr2.jpg

Was packed well. It doesnt need any power source and thats the USP for me. Has few presets and can be done manually as well. Comes with a nice pouch and 2 extra nozzles. Charged full in about 2 hours. Takes about 5 mins to go from 10-30 psi. Will check accurate time for filling and also the back up for operations and report back. Not too heavy but its bulky.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 11th March 2021 at 23:16.
swiftnfurious is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th March 2021, 19:47   #845
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
..Takes about 5 mins to go from 10-30 psi. Will check accurate time for filling and also the back up for operations and report back...
For me, the charge drops to Amber (20-50%), in just about 5 mins of operation / 30 psi filling. Noticed the trend for 2 fills (similar). A friend mentioned this is way too quick discharge. I raised a complaint with Mi CC and have been asked to visit the centre to check the device.

While its very handy and reasonably quick for a self powered device, i expect a reasonable life for it to be useful.
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2021, 17:45   #846
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arijit72 View Post
https://www.amazon.in/Bergmann-Typho.../dp/B06XW683G2

This one seems to have pretty good reviews, and is less pricey too. Is it good?
Mine stopped working after 4-5 uses. Just another Chinese product with a fancy name.
Old 30th May 2021, 10:38   #847
Senior - BHPian

Maruti and Nexa cars are equipped with 12V sockets that carry a rating of only 120Watts. I had previously raised a query here and I am posting an update below for others’ benefit.

Summary: Tyre inflators and vaccum cleaners with 150W rating work fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddleShifter View Post
I had purchased Bergmann Tyre Inflator in 2018 and seeing mine, 2 more people bought one.

Recently, I bought 1 more for a Brezza in our family. Also, I was in need of a car vaccum cleaner and for that, I bought a Bergmann one with a power rating of 150W.

Now I realise, my Punto had a 12v socket rated at 180W whereas Brezza has a 12v socket rated at 120W. To make matters more confusing, I have also migrated from a punto to S-Cross. It has a 120W rated power socket as well.

Query for Maruti Suzuki owners: Are you strictly using Tyre inflators of 120W power or can we use these 150W max rated inflators as well?
I posted similar query to the accessories store guy at a Nexa showroom in Chandigarh and he told me that 150W tyre inflators work absolutely fine without any issues. I went there with an intention to buy the MGA tyre inflator with a hope that it must be rated at 120W. The accessories guy was so certain about using 150W inflator that he did not even bother replying about the wattage on MGA inflator. He simply said “MGA inflator also has a similar wattage rating and dont worry about using the one you already have as they are compatible”.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
If the tyre inflator is running fine off the 12v socket without blowing the fuse then you need not have to worry
Apparently, I did not want to experiment with it but now I have done so and found that 150W inflators can be used with Maruti cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
If you use 180W power inflator, it draws 15A from 12V battery. So,
1. 12 V socket should be capable to withstand 15A current
2. Fuse should be of 15A rating

If the car does not have any of these two, it won't work. Either the fuse will blow out or lighter socket may get burnt.

So, it is safe to change fuse and socket before using the inflator
150W is the peak consumption by the inflator. I guess it is not necessary to change the fuse or the socket as it works just fine. Although I must say that it is better not to use it for an extended duration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
The only downside I see with this product is that the nozzle which goes on to the valve in the tire has a thread and is a screw type nozzle. While they claim this is better, some air escapes while screwing and unscrewing it on the tire valve. Not a big issue but its still there.
While it is true that some air escapes during unscrewing the nozzle after filling the air, the quantity of air lost is insignificant. You can fill 1 PSI more than what you intend to fill for compensating this loss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_anurag View Post
Mine stopped working after 4-5 uses. Just another Chinese product with a fancy name.
Is it still in warranty? Do write to their customer care. It is not made in Germany and the seller has smartly written “Germany” on the box rather than “Made in Germany”. To their credit, however, they are selling good quality product rather than a cheap one with poor quakity control. I am assuming that yours is a one off case.
PaddleShifter is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2021, 14:37   #848
BHPian

I have been using Michelin Tyre inflator since last few years and today it gave up. I was trying to find the service centre and could not find it in Bangalore. Any one has done the service either during warranty or after warranty ?
Old 4th July 2021, 15:59   #849
Senior - BHPian

My friends Michelin Tyre Pump gave up and he gave it for service on JC Road. Unfortunately, it couldn't be saved and he bought a new one (Cant be repaired in most cases, he was told). Apparently he was the Bangalore dealer
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNayak View Post
I have been using Michelin Tyre inflator since last few years and today it gave up. I was trying to find the service centre and could not find it in Bangalore. Any one has done the service either during warranty or after warranty ?
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2021, 20:29   #850
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNayak View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
My friends Michelin Tyre Pump gave up and he gave it for service on JC Road. Unfortunately, it couldn't be saved and he bought a new one (Cant be repaired in most cases, he was told). Apparently he was the Bangalore dealer
One of the reasons I always bought and used a foot pump is simplicity, reliability and easy availability of spares like nozzle, seals etc.

The first foot pump (costing Rs. 500) lasted for around 7-8 years. The second one (costing Rs. 700) is in use since last two years. This one came with a kit of spares like seals, spring etc. And the spares are also available in the spare parts market in Nana Peth in Pune.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2021, 21:11   #851
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddleShifter View Post
Maruti and Nexa cars are equipped with 12V sockets that carry a rating of only 120Watts. I had previously raised a query here and I am posting an update below for others’ benefit.

Summary: Tyre inflators and vaccum cleaners with 150W rating work fine.
I beg to disagree. I have personally seen 2 instances when use of 150W inflators blew the fuse, once immediately, and once after few months. I had opted for Bergman typhoon inflator for mom's car then, since it claimed fastest inflation. I used it often to top up air and it blew fuse in around 7-8 months of usage. We didn't think much about it, replaced the fuse and everything was fine.

Once some mischievous kids deflated tyres to 10PSI levels. They looked nearly flat. By the time third tyre was inflated from almost zero levels, the fuse blew. It was promptly replaced with a spare fuse and it worked fine again.

We concluded that continuous use was responsible for the quick blowout. Fortunately that Bergman conked off after some months and was trashed.

I've also seen cases of extreme damage like fuse box casing's partial meltdown due to such products. Hence I'll personally never go for them. MGAs can also go bad/cause damage, but if anything happens due to them, I can always push Maruti to cover my losses.

Quote:
I posted similar query to the accessories store guy at a Nexa showroom in Chandigarh and he told me that 150W tyre inflators work absolutely fine without any issues. I went there with an intention to buy the MGA tyre inflator with a hope that it must be rated at 120W. The accessories guy was so certain about using 150W inflator that he did not even bother replying about the wattage on MGA inflator. He simply said “MGA inflator also has a similar wattage rating and dont worry about using the one you already have as they are compatible”.
Wrong! MGA inflators are mostly below the 120W mark. Never believe these accessories guys, they are all salesmen and don't care about your car. Some pics:

Tyre pressure gauge and portable inflator pump / foot pump-20180722_213114.jpg

Tyre pressure gauge and portable inflator pump / foot pump-20201209_180025.jpg

If memory serves me right, one of Maruti's initial metal body inflators was shade above 120W, and it had frequent blowout issues in some cars. Maruti had discontinued it.
Leoshashi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th July 2021, 08:22   #852
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
The second one (costing Rs. 700) is in use since last two years. This one came with a kit of spares like seals, spring etc. And the spares are also available in the spare parts market in Nana Peth in Pune.
Kindly share details of the foot pump you purchased. Did you purchase it online or from a store in Pune? Since I also reside in Pune, I can purchase directly from shop too.
Old 5th July 2021, 22:27   #853
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simhi View Post
Kindly share details of the foot pump you purchased. Did you purchase it online or from a store in Pune? Since I also reside in Pune, I can purchase directly from shop too.
The foot pump which I am using now is MAX make. This is the second foot pump I purchased after the first one (I don’t remember it’s make) worked for 7-8 years.

I observed that all the foot pumps are of same construction and quality, so the make does not matter. Go for a pump for which you get spares (preferably along with the pump itself).

Most spares (like the “nozzle” or the “rubber inside the nozzle” or the “spring”) are common for all pumps. The spring is mostly common across all makes of the foot pump. The piston seal (it is a simple rubber O-ring, which you can anyway get in the oil seals shop) may or may not be common.

There is one shop by the name Jaswant Motor Stores in Nana Peth. It’s location is available on the Google maps and it is near Alpana Talkies, on the right of Shankarrao Pawar Seat Corner. In this shop, you can get the foot pump as well as it’s spares. I felt that the shopkeeper is bit opportunistic about pricing.

To the right of this shop, after skipping another few shops, there is a small “Tools and Hardware” shop. I bought my current foot pump in this shop. I don’t remember the name now but you can enquire for MAX Foot Pump in the neighbouring ‘Tools and Hardware’ shops. I found this shop bit reasonably priced. When asked, he also gave a little discount.

Now, if you take a simple precautionary measure given below, your foot pump will last even longer than 7-8 years.

Many users have to throw away a working pump just because a couple of nuts often loosen, fall down and misplace themselves. I have bought spare nuts (Rs. 1 each) from the nearby fastener shops in Bohri Ali. You can also put a 1 or 2 drops of Fevikwik on the thread adjoining the nut to prevent loosening. The nuts are shown in the picture below.

If you take care of these two nuts, every other spare part is available in the above two shops. Mostly the replacement will be limited to the Rubber inside the nozzle (Rs. 20) or the Nozzle (Rs. 100). Yes, you may need a spring (Rs. 50 – 80 my guess) once in 3 to 5 years. So buy one spare nozzle, two spare rubbers and one spring along with the pump. You are done for next 10 years.

If the gauge goes kaput, you can always buy a separate gauge. I always have one, irrespective of the gauge on the pump. If the air hose bursts (mine has never) you can buy two feet braided hose at Rs. 40 from a nearby domestic hardware shop and fit it with hose clips.

It is not the low cost but the high reliability of the foot pump that is vital for me. Just keep a spare nozzle & a rubber and the damn thing works for sure. Of course, you need to flex your muscles a bit. In summer, it can be sweating.
Attached Thumbnails
Tyre pressure gauge and portable inflator pump / foot pump-img20210705wa0018.jpg  

Tyre pressure gauge and portable inflator pump / foot pump-img20210705wa0020.jpg  

Last edited by Rahul Bhalgat : 5th July 2021 at 22:31.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th July 2021, 15:41   #854
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simhi View Post
Incidentally, I had been to Nana Peth today. The name of the shop is Dhanlaxmi Tools & Machinery. It is located by the side of Ali Tools and Hardware, which can be located on Google maps.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2021, 10:09   #855
BHPian

Hi guys, wondering if anyone could share a top recommendation from the Prime Day 2021 deals?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks