Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2008, 19:27   #211
Senior - BHPian

Yea ! knowing about a TC'ed Alto is what i would be interested in as well and maybe in future it can be an agenda for my 1.1 baby .
Old 26th August 2008, 10:13   #212
BHPian

Hi guys, SuzukiSport used to sell a bolt-on turbo kit for the 3 cylinder motor, unfortunately it's not in their product line-up right now.

But in my opinion, a better, much cheaper, & more reliable, alternative to more power would be to swap out the 800cc F8D with a 1061cc F10D. I was at a Maruti-Genuine Spares warehouse this weekend & noticed an announcement regarding "half-engines". Apparently, a "half-engine" consists of the block, crankshaft, connecting rods, pistons, rings, & the attendant bearings. For the F10D, the price mentioned was around 24K.

The Swift's "half-engine" was priced at around 35K, & the Baleno's was around 66K. I don't remember seeing anything for the SX4 though. For the 1.1 Alto, the Swift's G13B seems the most obvious choice. I was told that the Baleno's G16B can be shoe-horned into the Alto but would require major cutting into of the firewall. The "half-engines" are Maruti's alternative to reboring & resleeving your engines during refurbishment, not sure how it works out if you want to replace your stock engine with a bigger one.

Something I've been thinking about for some time now is importing a Hayabusa's engine & installing it in place of the current 1.1 engine - if you think about it, it's the best 1.3 motor you can get right now. The motor's ultra compact, puts out almost 3 times the power & twice the torque of the F10D & best of all - it's designed to rev up to 11,000 RPM

Last edited by im_srini : 26th August 2008 at 10:15.
Old 26th August 2008, 22:53   #213
Senior - BHPian

Another thing im wondering is, whether a B-alto can be built? can a baleno engine be plonked in a Alto Lxi. if yes, then how much would the engine swap and brake upgrade cost approximately?

gurus, please throw some light.
Old 27th August 2008, 09:56   #214
BHPian

Hi BadBoyScad, the G16B has been transplanted successfully into Zens but the thing is, the Alto's engine bay is a good deal shorter (something like 5" or 6" shorter). So getting the engine in would be an issue. I was told it was impossible without major firewall modifications.

Regarding engine costs, the G16B "half-engine" costs around 66.6K, additionally you might have to get the head, the cam, timing belt, valve covers, etc. - so I'm guessing the total engine should cost around 90K.

That said, one might face some issues with respect to engine numbers & stuff though - I think, to get these "half-engines" you would be asked for an existing engine number so that the new block can be stamped with it (I know that to get a new crankshaft for an engine you'll have to provide the engine number).

Regarding the brakes, I'm not sure about the Baleno's brakes but I think the Swift's brakes would work quite well on the Alto. Here's an approximate breakdown of parts & prices...
Attached Thumbnails
Modding an Alto-swiftbrakestuff.jpg  

Old 1st September 2008, 10:45   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
N1 Engineering, in Mumbai, is a good place to source performance parts for your Alto. A small shopping list...

0. Camshaft - Stock camshaft can be reprofiled by Piper Cams. The stock Alto camshaft (for the F10D motor) is around 2.5K, the price for reprofiling it is around 19K.

1. Stainless Steel Exhaust - N1 can fabricate a complete stainless steel exhaust for you, according to your specifications. The headers are around 10.5K, stainless steel intermediate pipes & mid-muffler are around 8.5K. A MagnaFlow endcan will set you back by another 6K.

2. Flywheel - You can lighten it for around 1K, the stock flywheel itself is 0.8K.

3. Crankshaft - You can lighten it for around 4K.

4. EBC pads - You can get these from Electra Performance, in Chennai. The green-stuff front pads for the Alto cost around 5K.
Hi guys, an update...

If you have an F10D motor in your car (Alto 1.1, WagonR, Estilo) you could possibly have one of two crank designs - the older cranks cost 7.6K & the new ones around 4.6K. Apparently, somewhere down the line, Maruti/Suzuki optimized the design of the engine - the new engines are "low-friction" ones with changes primarily to the block, crank, & oil-pump.

Now, the bad news - my car uses the old crank & unfortunately, Maruti do not make them anymore ! So if I'm going to get a crank for lightening, I'll have to get the whole F10D "half-engine" (that's 24K). I have no problems with that as it'll give me an opportunity to not only lighten the crank, but mill & lighten the pistons as well.

My quandry is, if I'm going to get half-an-engine, why not get the Swift's instead (It's only 12K more) ? The G13B's got an alloy block, it's more rev-happy, & most importantly - you can get off-the-shelf performance parts for it ! But then again, you'll have to factor in the expensive stuff like a new head, ECU, & transmission... Decisions, decisions

Last edited by im_srini : 1st September 2008 at 10:46.
Old 1st September 2008, 13:26   #216
Senior - BHPian

i doubt the headers are made of SS!!
Old 2nd September 2008, 18:25   #217
BANNED

are there any 3-2-1 heareds avalible for 0.8L alto?
Old 4th September 2008, 00:34   #218
BHPian

the headers are not made of SS for sure. thats anti rust coating on MS pipes.
i have the following mods on my 07 Alto Lxi xFun
Automech FFE full system
K & N replacement filter with DIY air intake to the airbox
8000k bi xenon HID
165/60R13 Bridgestone Potenza GIIIs front
175/60R13 Maxxis UA603 rears
5.5J alloys, painted black with polished lip
Basic ICE setup
Door handle LEDs
Attached Thumbnails
Modding an Alto-dscf2882-copy.jpg  

Modding an Alto-dscf2180-copy.jpg  

Modding an Alto-dscf2184.jpg  

Modding an Alto-dscf2228.jpg  

Modding an Alto-dscf2241.jpg  

Modding an Alto-dscf2244.jpg  

Modding an Alto-dscf2261.jpg  

Modding an Alto-dscf2265.jpg  

satya180 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2008, 10:26   #219
BHPian

awesome pics satya! can you share more details on the make of alloys? and why the difference in the front-rear tyres?
Old 4th September 2008, 11:22   #220
Senior - BHPian

Nice Pics there Satya and as cyclops mentioned, its a first time i ever came across a ride having a different set of tyres spec for the front and the rear. Is it because of the 5.5j alloys you have used? Again due to the different tyre specs for the front and the rear, i am not sure about the ride quality though.
Old 4th September 2008, 11:38   #221
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops View Post
awesome pics satya! can you share more details on the make of alloys? and why the difference in the front-rear tyres?
thanks. honestly, i first bought only the fronts as i had liked them on a friends car. but they were too noisy when fit on my car. i was quite sure i would not be able to live with the added noise of the 2 tyres, the k&n and the ffe. so i was thinking of buying tyres of another brand, same size. but then after a weeks wait i could not find them, dealers citing the reason of "unusual size"(165/60R13). then a dealer friend of mine suggested the maxxis to me, said i could try them for a day and then decide. the rears are quite silent, ride quality is much better and they do their part in the visual department( the rear looks like muscular)
so i bought them, and hence the odd sizes.
ps: the car handles excellent in wet, even in heavy rains, and does 145kmph on speedo.

also a pic of the alloys attached.
cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
Modding an Alto-dscf2183.jpg  

Old 4th September 2008, 12:29   #222
BHPian

man. thats quite a story! what brand are the alloys? are they 5J? were they painted black later or they are like this stock? and at what cost and where did you buy them?
Old 4th September 2008, 12:37   #223
BHPian

Hi Satya,

Lovely car buddy, do try and paint the Brake Clipers to add to the visual appeal. Lovely ride nonetheless.

Best Regards,
Old 4th September 2008, 13:47   #224
BHPian

the rims were first only silver in colour(machined finish), but i bought these ones only coz they had a small lip and i knew they would look better with the black. the rims cost me 11k for set of four( so it was definitely not plati as the box suggested), plus i spent 3k on standox metallic black paint that u see. tyres cost me 2750/each for fronts and 2600/each rears. im planning to get the brakes(drums and callipers) in an irridium blue colour, and get the roof made black or cf finish.
the wheels first looked like this
in the silver finish, they looked like 12's. and even now the rears look like 12's as the rear tyre profile is quite high.
Attached Thumbnails
Modding an Alto-20072008010.jpg  

Old 4th September 2008, 18:16   #225
BANNED

kool ride satya,
any pics under the hood.

Most Viewed