Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2006, 17:13   #211
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
so,if you have a front windscreen film,is the film on the side windows not required.
it is your choice, i guess.. but the film in the front is the most important one to reduce the heat inside the car whether while driving or while parked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaa45 View Post
You can also buy those screens that you can pull across the screen when you have parked your veh.
yeah, most of the screens go kaput within a few days. still they do not deflect the heat, they will absorb & spread it inside the car. the front windscreen is the most exposed part of the car & that is where the heat really gets into the cabin. see the angle of the glass ? see the angle of the window glass ? now you know the difference.
Old 29th December 2006, 17:34   #212
Team-BHP Support

Ok, I started this thread looong back for my Baleno. Finally I put Llumar Air65 on my Baleno and my wife's Santro.

Last summer, the Baleno windshield cracked when our driver tried to clean it with wet cloth while it was parked in the afternoon sun. The car was locked and the temp difference was too much. So the sunfilm was lost along with the windshield. I couldn't get to put it back since nobody around this area stocks or installs front windshield sunfilm. They don't even stock synthetic oil, but that's another story.

So I have the black baleno without front sunfilm and the silver Santro with Air65. And I live in pretty hot and sunny plcae. Do I notice a huge difference between these two cars? When parked, yes. While driving, not much. May be because of better A/C on Baleno. But I am not sure I want a sunfilm on Baleno anymore. It definitely feels cooler, but for the amount of driving I do these days (not much), it doesn't make sense.
Old 29th December 2006, 19:18   #213
Senior - BHPian

And I forgot to add another negative for films - internal reflecting at night of any inside light source - instrument panel, ICE, phone... But for those who do drive a lot during late morning / afternoons, yes film would certainly help in the cooling/comfort.
Old 29th December 2006, 21:48   #214
Senior - BHPian

@ Samurai... your black baleno is stunning as such, but if you take off your tints, it will look even better. or install very light tints, like the RE35 or even lighter. just a suggestion.
Old 29th December 2006, 22:06   #215
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Last summer, the Baleno windshield cracked when our driver tried to clean it with wet cloth while it was parked in the afternoon sun. The car was locked and the temp difference was too much.

Wow - thats something. Did you capture the event with the telephoto lens?!
Old 17th January 2007, 12:16   #216
Senior - BHPian

Anybody here heard of Solar Guard (Gard?)? I couldn't find a post on this thread where somebody had used/talked about Solar Guard. It is about 600/- more expensive than Llumar for all 4 side-windows and the rear window. The dealer says Solar Guard is better than Llumar.

Apparently Solar Gard has 2 coats of film with a aluminum embedded sheet in the middle that makes the film very strong, reflects a lot of heat, and gives a unique kind of reflective look (not the cheap silver/gold type) that looks really cool, and cuts visibility into the cabin substantially (for privacy) when people look into the cabin at an angle. 3 year warranty for the install. I'm looking at a gray shade that is apparently nearly undetectable (feels like there is no sunfilm installed) when I look outside from inside the car. The tints will be 50% (including the rear window).

I'm planning to get the tints done on friday (day-after-tomorrow). Could you folks comment on Solar Guard?

I googled it, and I think (not too sure) this is what I'm talking about.: Solar Gard tinted window films - high performance, sputter-metallized
Old 17th January 2007, 12:40   #217
BANNED

Hydra,
I'd go with the V-KOOL if there is not too much of a price difrential between the 2.
Have had V-KOOL on my Octy since the day I got her.. and it was the best money(after the upgrade rims and tyres) that I could have got done on her.
BUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
Nothing really... my signature says it all
Old 17th January 2007, 18:21   #218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108 View Post
And I forgot to add another negative for films - internal reflecting at night of any inside light source - instrument panel, ICE, phone... But for those who do drive a lot during late morning / afternoons, yes film would certainly help in the cooling/comfort.
But I think (and I suspect it's true) front sunfilm actually reduces glare from oncoming vehicles at night. I noticed it on very first day I installed V-KOOL, Now I am so used to it, can't really distinguish it. For me, internal light sources are too negligible to account for, unless one drives with reading lamps ON.
Old 17th January 2007, 18:28   #219
Team-BHP Support

Hydra, The V-kool is the best. Solar gard is a known brand. V-kool is very efficient. My friend put it on his accent and even when parked under hot sun the car doesn't heat up to much inside compared to mine.
Old 17th January 2007, 18:36   #220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
My friend put it on his accent and even when parked under hot sun the car doesn't heat up to much inside compared to mine.
That is rubbish. Sets very wrong expectations about the film. If you keep it long enough (more than half an hour or so), it does transmit enough heat inside to heat up the car. It will less than one with other films, but definitely not what you would expect when they claim that it cuts off 65% heat.
Old 17th January 2007, 18:37   #221

Hi Ashok,

I have a Solargard -Quantum 14 installed for my side & rear galsses of my Black Wagon R. I was told that it is a Semi-dark film with the highest heat rejection of around 60% and also provides privacy from people peeping into my car. It costed me Rs. 2750/-

I also got my front windscreen film done for a very attractive price of Rs. 3500/-. I think the model is STERLING 70 with 35% heat rejection.

It is really worth the price with a 3 year warranty. My mileage and ac effeciency has improved a lot. Try this .... i have a friend of mine Subbu - Cochin at 9380019672 who cud help u with a gud deal.
Old 17th January 2007, 18:41   #222
Team-BHP Support

Experts... Please help

Guys,

I read through the thread.. But still have some questions to ask...

1. I Dont think i will be able to afford Vkool and lumar... Will have to be settled with Garware... Does it last??? Or will be deform under heat???

2. Side window tints... Same question... Does Garware do a good job???

3. How effective is the front film in cutting glare??? is the view absolutely glare less??? or only reduced glare???

4. Someone has mentioned that they get govt. approved certificate with garware... Is it available for all shades??? Should i insist on that???

5. How can i make sure the film is original???
Old 17th January 2007, 18:53   #223

Value for money....

Hey,

I have been using a Solargard Sun Film - Quantum 14 for the side , rear and the front glass. The complete Sun Film for my whole car costed around Rs. 6000/- with a 3 year warranty.w/o the front glass it costs 2500/- approx.

Looks great and am able to feel a considerable change in my ac efficiency and the mileage now. I had a Garware 2 years back in my old car which started decoloring and fading giving my car a very cheap look. I decided on spending a lil more extra and installed Solar Gard from USA.

You may have look at the website Solar Gard Window Films for more details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Guys,

I read through the thread.. But still have some questions to ask...

1. I Dont think i will be able to afford Vkool and lumar... Will have to be settled with Garware... Does it last??? Or will be deform under heat???

2. Side window tints... Same question... Does Garware do a good job???

3. How effective is the front film in cutting glare??? is the view absolutely glare less??? or only reduced glare???

4. Someone has mentioned that they get govt. approved certificate with garware... Is it available for all shades??? Should i insist on that???

5. How can i make sure the film is original???
Old 17th January 2007, 19:01   #224
Team-BHP Support

Instead of Garware you can also consider 3M. they are lesser than llumar and V-kool but more than garware.

Front tints are expensive. it is advisable not to go for cheap tints as the front glass is the most important.

Garware has very cheap tints but most of these are not anti-scratch.
Old 17th January 2007, 19:05   #225
Senior - BHPian

2l8uloose, vid6639, teamxenos, thanks

V-Kool is off the budget (will cost 2K more). I'm actually spending on tints very reluctantly, so only medium budget (I personally don't like tints, and I feel it may affect vision to the sides and rear at night). But I do want good stuff too (And want to keep my my ICE hidden). Any money not spent on ICE is spent after a lot of heartburn

@teamxenos, my dealer said the Solar Gards look reflective from outside. Do they look too reflective, as in somewhat bling? I wouldn't like my tints to look that way. A subtle reflective look is fine. Thanks in advance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks