Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2010, 16:33   #1081

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariendj View Post
just got the garware icecool shield today for Rs.3100/-
it comes with a 5 year warranty and doesnt give a dark tint to the front screen.i
im satisfied as of yet and waiting to try it in heat of day and the on coming headlights at night.
Waiting or your post on the feedback on performance of icecool shield during peak of sun; visibility during evening and night times; improvement in glare etc..
Old 21st March 2010, 17:19   #1082
BHPian

I got the following quotes from my Honda dealer for the front windshield, as well as for the rest of the car

Llumar Diamond Series

Front -
PP 70SR - Rs 4050 (VLT 68%, SER 39%)
PP 75SR 7650 (VLT 73%, SER 39%)
PP 80SR 10500 (VLT 78%, SER 43%)

Side & Back -
Steel 50 SR - 4875 (SER 44%)
Neutral 50 SR - 5400 (SER 41%)
Opal 50 - 2000

3M
CS 50 - 4000 (VLT 51%, SER 33%)
RE 50 - 4500 (VLT 51%, SER 43%)
RE 70 - 4000

CR SERIES
CR 70 - 6000 (VLT 70%, SER 50%) (For front)
CR50 - 12750 (VLT 50%, SER 56%) (50 on sides, 70 on back, all in one kit)

I am inclined to go for CR series since heat rejection is very high. But 12,750 for sides & rear seems a bit steep. Also, will having a metallic film on all windows screw up my cell phone reception ? Any suggestions on what film should I buy out of the above choices ? How much does a 10% difference in heat rejection make ?

Can someone tell me whether the quotes seem reasonable, or if they are on the higher side, how high are these quotes ? I checked some after-market accessories fitters in Vashi (I live in Navi Mumbai), and was not convinced if the sun-films are original. They all seemed very shady (pun intended) to me. I'd rather pay 10-15% premium and get it fixed at the showroom itself before getting my car delivered, than go to these dealers.

Does anyone know an aftermarket accessories shop of repute in Navi Mumbai / Chembur area that can offer me better rates, while offering genuine goods and acceptable finish ?

Regards
Manumani
Old 28th March 2010, 02:25   #1083
BHPian

Installed Sunfilm for front windsheild from Xenos, Nandanam for my Linea

Make : SolarGard
Model : Sterling 70
VLT : 69%
Glare reduction : 25 %
Heat rejection : 39 %
UV Rejection : upto 99.90 %
Warranty : 5 years
Price : Rs. 3100 (less 25% discount being offer price till 31/Mar)

Last edited by bnzjon : 28th March 2010 at 02:37.
Old 28th March 2010, 23:58   #1084
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnzjon View Post
Installed Sunfilm for front windsheild from Xenos, Nandanam for my Linea

Make : SolarGard
Model : Sterling 70
VLT : 69%
Glare reduction : 25 %
Heat rejection : 39 %
UV Rejection : upto 99.90 %
Warranty : 5 years
Price : Rs. 3100 (less 25% discount being offer price till 31/Mar)
The heat rejection seems low, but the price seems VFM. Comparitively 3M CR70 has a heat rejection of 56% but costs Rs. 5000~6000 (I recently got it done, and felt its worth the extra bucks!)
Old 29th March 2010, 14:06   #1085
BHPian

Summers already bringing the heat. Anybody in Mumbai who could suggest a good front windshield sunfilm & if possible, also a good installer. Preferably in South Mumbai.
Old 29th March 2010, 14:39   #1086
BHPian

Just got VCool installed in my Safari.
The front and back cost me Rs.11,000/-
All 6 sides cost me Rs.5,000/-
Got it installed by the company guys at Reliance automart.
The details (ie. product code) will be given if interested.

No problem with mobile signals at all.
My Toll Tag (Gurgaon-Delhi expressway) however is not being read by the machine installed at the toll plaza. The company guys had warned me before. Their suggestion is that after a couple of days post installation, they would cut a part of the front windscreen film and install the Tag.

There is a slight difference in the cooling.

Last edited by Country Road : 29th March 2010 at 14:40.
Old 29th March 2010, 15:25   #1087
BHPian

Changing my Existing Film

I have a 5 month old Fiesta. While finalizing the deal and add ins I thought why go to some other dealer for just the film and spoiler and so finalized on the Garware Classic Film which was Reccomened as the RTO approved film.

The winter was fine with a few experiences of heat coming through the film and hitting the face. But this was bearable as it was winter. But Summer has brought with it a Horrible experience.
My car is parked in the sun and not in a covered parking. I do realize its directly a block of metal under the blazing sun which makes it too hot to step in. But even after driving the car with windows rolled down for 10 mins with high AC. The car just does not cool down. I have to aim the AC vents at me when I roll up the windows which is not the right way as it does not cool the car. Its just pushing coll air on my face.

My Question to fellow Bhpians
  1. Is it the Film thats allowing too much heat to enter the car and making the leather seats so hot that they cannot be cooled by Fiesta's AC. (Fiesta is supposed to have a strong AC)
  2. Will a new film help me in anyway, or the effect is expected for any film as the real reason is the car is parked in the sun.
  3. If I need to go for a new film would garware help me in upgrading as I am not satisied with their product. Or should I forget the existing film and just get a new one fitted at my cost. In this case which should be a film I should choose. (I just cant stand heat and need some effective film)
Thanks in Advance
Old 29th March 2010, 20:09   #1088
Senior - BHPian

I have had a similar experience - went for street legal 50% visibility films (RE 50) all around, but had not touched the front windshield. This was when I got the car in June 2009. Even during that time, I felt that the AC is taking way too long to cool the interiors.

With the summer slowly creeping in, it felt like am standing under mid-day sun - my car is a black beauty at that! Decided to take the dip and changed the films to the darkest - 3M CS 5 for the four doors and back, and CR 70 for the front windshield. And now we are talking! Even in mid-day, the AC chills you in a jiffy - this is with thermostat reduced to minimum and blower speed #2. You have to come down to #1, and in evenings and nights you have to turn off the compressor at times because it gets so damn cold. Of course the original 3000-odd bucks I spent for RE50 is wasted.

Herez my post on this in my ownership thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1799728-post234.html

Btw, if you car is parked under hot sun for a while, it is normal for the AC to take a short while to cool the interiors.

Last edited by ph03n!x : 29th March 2010 at 20:11.
Old 29th March 2010, 20:15   #1089
BHPian

Hey Phoenix,
Where did you get your CR70 installed?. Do you stay close by Kottivakkam. I stay inside the lane opp to the Hyundai service center.
Old 29th March 2010, 20:38   #1090
BHPian

@ph03n!x how is the night visibility thru side/rear windows that has CS5 ?
Old 29th March 2010, 22:16   #1091
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funnyguru View Post
Hey Phoenix,
Where did you get your CR70 installed?. Do you stay close by Kottivakkam. I stay inside the lane opp to the Hyundai service center.
I got it installed at the 3M distributor in the lane opp to SIET college. I live in Besant Nagar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiny View Post
@ph03n!x how is the night visibility thru side/rear windows that has CS5 ?
If there is even a bit of a light outside in nights (street lights), then you have absolutely no problem. If it is pitch dark, then you may *at times* have to roll down the windows - I have done this (rolling down the driver side glass) once in about 2 months. Even though visibility from the outside to inside is pretty much restricted, visibility from inside to outside is pretty good.
Old 30th March 2010, 10:44   #1092
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
I have had a similar experience - went for street legal 50% visibility films (RE 50) all around, but had not touched the front windshield. This was when I got the car in June 2009. Even during that time, I felt that the AC is taking way too long to cool the interiors.

With the summer slowly creeping in, it felt like am standing under mid-day sun - my car is a black beauty at that! Decided to take the dip and changed the films to the darkest - 3M CS 5 for the four doors and back, and CR 70 for the front windshield. And now we are talking! Even in mid-day, the AC chills you in a jiffy - this is with thermostat reduced to minimum and blower speed #2. You have to come down to #1, and in evenings and nights you have to turn off the compressor at times because it gets so damn cold. Of course the original 3000-odd bucks I spent for RE50 is wasted.

Herez my post on this in my ownership thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1799728-post234.html

Btw, if you car is parked under hot sun for a while, it is normal for the AC to take a short while to cool the interiors.
I agree the car will take some time to cool. But Speed #4 of a Fiesta for 10 minutes with windows scrolled down to let off the hot air for around 5 mins is really not what I expect.

+ I am not too keen on having too dark a shade for 2 reasons.
1. Visibility and the safety. Pune Traffic is bad and I dont want to land up hitting someone who jumped in my way.
2. RTO norms- I would prefer to be have something which is legal.

I believe there are some films which are not too dark but are capable of refrainign the heat from passing.

And so I need to forget the money I spent on the initial Filming I did.
Old 30th March 2010, 12:47   #1093
BHPian

Hello All,
Last Saturday I got Garware Icecool fit on my Getz from Kothari Showroom itself.
The guy charged me 3.5k...
I haven't tested the AC extensively and will be doing it on friday as m going to Mumbai. But during daytime it feels good, a slight tint helps in reducing the sun's glare from the road and also from light reflected from other cars' paint.
Even if the car is parked in the sun it doesn't get heated up so much.
Night time: YOu initially get a feel that because of the tint, you would have problem while driving, but after some distance you get used to it. The glare of lights from oncoming vehicles is reduced.
Well the film was just couple of hours old. The guy told me not to wash the glass for 2 days else bubbles may form. It needs drying completely.
So lets see, I will share my experience after my trip to Mumbai..
Bye guys...
Old 30th March 2010, 14:50   #1094
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastapopoulos View Post
I agree the car will take some time to cool. But Speed #4 of a Fiesta for 10 minutes with windows scrolled down to let off the hot air for around 5 mins is really not what I expect.

+ I am not too keen on having too dark a shade for 2 reasons.
1. Visibility and the safety. Pune Traffic is bad and I dont want to land up hitting someone who jumped in my way.
2. RTO norms- I would prefer to be have something which is legal.

I believe there are some films which are not too dark but are capable of refrainign the heat from passing.

And so I need to forget the money I spent on the initial Filming I did.
I have posted this in your thread too - try the 3M CR series. CR50 + CR70 is legal, though you wont find a difference if you look at CR40 and CR50 side by side - and hence my suggestion is CR40 + CR70 - you would definitely feel a hell lot of a difference.
Old 31st March 2010, 09:13   #1095
BHPian

Hi Team,
I just put 3M V70 on my front Windshield for my 2006 Baleno Lxi. The heat reduction is impressive, but worried about the care to be take for cleaning the glass from inside. Would these films get scratched easily while cleaning.
Would appreciate if you can let me know the care to be taken while cleaning.

Thanks in Advance
Suresh
2002 M800 5S, 2006 Baleno Lxi, 2003 Thunderbird

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks