Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2007, 17:43   #361
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Ishan suspects an overcharging alternator to be the problem, seems like it to me too. Now I dont know what to do, since if I use another battery, the car will start, but probably wreck the new battery by the time I get to the garage also. On the other hand, I dont know what else is left to be destroyed by the alternator that may happen once the car starts. Can anyone suggest a plan of action hereonwards? Does anyone know exactly what may cause the alternator to overcharge? I would guess it has something to do with the rectifier circuit or something. Any precautions for the future? I was damn lucky I had just removed some test audio gear from the car, otherwise it would have been far more devastating.
Ajay - Don't use the car over the weekend take the Corolla or a taxi. Monday first thing tow the car to a reputed garage which is an expert is electricals (Ask Elf for this, he knows about a good one I think) and have them check the alternator. I suspect your alternmator is giving out surges of current much higher than the 13-14V it's supposed to and that is causing the electricals to blow.

I'm spcifically asking you to tow the car because any further attempts at starting or driving it could lead to further part failures. And please get rid of the damn thing now!!! It's about time!
Old 12th May 2007, 18:47   #362
Team-BHP Support

GEt the rectifier plate and the regulator checked. These parts fail commonly. Cost will be around 1000rs for replacement of both.
A new alternator costs 2500rs or whereabouts, so if the expenses are 1200+ go for a new alternator.
How old is this alternator.
Old 12th May 2007, 18:50   #363
Senior - BHPian

Ya Ishan you are right...normally if the car alternator give very high voltages about 30-40 volts if it is rotated at 3000-4000 rpm.....thats why there is a voltage regulation circuit present to drop the voltage so that it operates at 14 volts......now in the case when the regulation circuit fails the battery protects the car electricals by absorbing the high voltage....but battery cannot handle the high voltages for a long time....

Ajay Sir in your case it was the alternater which was giving out high voltages and the battery was holding till today till you heard the first pop....as the battery was gone the alternater was giving full voltages to every component of the vehicle which you operated.....you must tow your car to a good garage to get the alternator check else more thing are bound to get damage.....
Old 13th May 2007, 14:47   #364
Senior - BHPian

Guys any place from where I can get original HID (xenon) bulbs.....as I need only the bulbs not the ballast....

Last edited by low_bass_makker : 13th May 2007 at 14:49.
Old 13th May 2007, 14:50   #365
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
Guy any place from where I can get original HID (xenon) bulbs.....as I need only the bulbs not the ballast....
Original... What do you mean by original. Any particular brand in mind?

If you are just looking for bulbs - ballast, ebay is the best place to look.
Old 13th May 2007, 14:54   #366
Senior - BHPian

nahi yaar tanveer in delhi and around one can get only taiwan and chinese bulbs...I want philips, hella, osram type of some standard company stuff...
Old 13th May 2007, 15:06   #367
Team-BHP Support

AFAIK, philips and hella do not sell bulbs, except to OEMs. So you may have to go for lesser known guys like GE/Havell etc., Try autobulbs.co.uk
Old 13th May 2007, 16:09   #368
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
I want philips, hella, osram type of some standard company stuff...
LBM,

I have one contact in Bombay. You want one xenon Bulb ? H1 ?
Old 13th May 2007, 16:11   #369
BHPian

Ford ikon angel eyes

Has any one used this?? Is this available in india??

Old 13th May 2007, 16:24   #370
Team-BHP Support

it dosent seem like a straight fit onto the ikon. it seems a bit big. i doubt youll get this in india.
Old 13th May 2007, 16:32   #371
BHPian

well the website say its a direct fit.. This is actually used for the Fiesta MK5 (indian ikon) in UK.
Old 13th May 2007, 19:18   #372
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazikon View Post
well the website say its a direct fit.. This is actually used for the Fiesta MK5 (indian ikon) in UK.
cool. i guess i thought they were big because of the angle of the pic. i dont think youll get them in india. about 200pounds for these plus more shipping it to india. itll cost alot.
Old 13th May 2007, 19:30   #373
BHPian

Lighting for a Safari

Hi guys,

I have a 04 model safari which has OE bulbs. I want to change it because I am not too happy with its power when there is oncoming traffic.

What do you suggest?

Shall I keep thsm as it is and add a pair of fog lamps(my LX does not come with one) or shall I change the bulb?

I think there are 2 bulbs in 2 enclosures, not like most other cars. Do I need to put in 2 pairs of bulbs?

Please suggest.

For whatever you sugggest, prices and where to get them in Chennai will be most welcome.
Old 13th May 2007, 23:12   #374
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
AFAIK, philips and hella do not sell bulbs, except to OEMs. So you may have to go for lesser known guys like GE/Havell etc., Try autobulbs.co.uk
from where can I get the above mentioned brands in india.....no website...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen_Power View Post
LBM,

I have one contact in Bombay. You want one xenon Bulb ? H1 ?

sir i will call you for the info....
Old 14th May 2007, 16:34   #375
BHPian

Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
Hi guys,

I have a 04 model safari which has OE bulbs. I want to change it because I am not too happy with its power when there is oncoming traffic.

What do you suggest?

Shall I keep thsm as it is and add a pair of fog lamps(my LX does not come with one) or shall I change the bulb?

I think there are 2 bulbs in 2 enclosures, not like most other cars. Do I need to put in 2 pairs of bulbs?

Please suggest.

For whatever you sugggest, prices and where to get them in Chennai will be most welcome.

Gurus please help!!!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks