Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2016, 20:08   #9796
BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
This is just plug and play, it fit's the H4 holder there is no modification to fit it.
A friend recently fitted his XUV500 with Osram HID's in low beam, and X-treme Ultinon 2700k fog lamps. The local reseller had fog lamps in 2700k, 6000k and 6700k with holder adaptor for H8 / H11 / H16.
If they had something around 4000k in H7 he was interested in replacing the high beams too.
I don't know what others feel, but I don't see better in white light as all manufacturers advertise.

Rahul
Yep, its plug and play and an easy install. You nailed it on the color temp; its too white for my liking despite the fact that users on some forums claim that the color temp is close to 5000k and not 6200k as advertised. I'm still super confused and cant decide on a specific product. I'd prefer something plug and play and projector retrofit being the last option.

Last edited by k.sumit : 19th April 2016 at 20:10.
Old 19th April 2016, 20:23   #9797
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.sumit View Post
I'd prefer something plug and play and projector retrofit being the last option.
You could try out something that I've done 10 days ago on my Ecosport. It's called a mini projector H4 bi xenon set up. Plug and play. No cutting etc - fits into the socket perfectly.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...eview-663.html

I've used it in city - lighting seems decent - and improved over my earlier Philips Xtreme Vision 130+. Only downside for you is that it is whitish.
You can source them from Aliexpress or Alibaba at fair rates. Of course it is a gamble being Chinese stuff but maybe worth the risk.
wilful is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2016, 20:22   #9798
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
You could try out something that I've done 10 days ago on my Ecosport. It's called a mini projector H4 bi xenon set up. Plug and play. No cutting etc - fits into the socket perfectly.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...eview-663.html

I've used it in city - lighting seems decent - and improved over my earlier Philips Xtreme Vision 130+. Only downside for you is that it is whitish.
You can source them from Aliexpress or Alibaba at fair rates. Of course it is a gamble being Chinese stuff but maybe worth the risk.
I did check when you first posted about it but the reviews claim that the solenoid fails pretty easily on these. I saw that you too faced an issue but the installer took care of it by changing them. It'll be tough to troubleshoot such issues if I get them from Aliexpress though the difference in pricing is big.
Old 22nd April 2016, 05:48   #9799
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.sumit View Post
I did check when you first posted about it but the reviews claim that the solenoid fails pretty easily on these. I saw that you too faced an issue but the installer took care of it by changing them. It'll be tough to troubleshoot such issues if I get them from Aliexpress though the difference in pricing is big.
Yes - it will be difficult to troubleshoot any issues. Like I said, it it a bit of a gamble.
Old 22nd April 2016, 05:50   #9800
BHPian

Hi Friends,

I have recently bought a brand new 2016 Gypsy King & am planning to install some auxiliary lights. I have procured a set of PIAA 520 ATP Extreme White & a pair of IPF 968s. I plan to mount the PIAAs on the wind shield with the help of wind shield mounts & IPFs would be installed on the bumper (stock). Both the pairs come with their own wiring harness, relay, in-line fuse, switch, mounting hardware & brackets.

Please provide guidance as to a reliable source for getting good quality wind shield mounts for the Gypsy.

Also I want to secure these lights as there quite expensive (Rs.38,000) for both the pairs. How can I go about doing it? I have already acquired some locking nuts but they would clearly not suffice.

Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img_0628.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img_0632.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img_0385.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img_0392.jpg  

Vikram Arya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2016, 13:06   #9801
Senior - BHPian

Skoda Yeti : Head light & Fog light Bulb Upgrade

Hello everyone,

I use my 2010 Skoda Yeti a lot on trips out of Mumbai and I found that the stock head light and fog light bulb outputs are not to my satisfaction and do not provide sufficient light on highways. I had this same issue on my 2011 VW Polo 1.6 and had upgraded the head light H4 bulbs to the Philips Xtreme Vision (60/55W). The outcome was fantastic. I however could not get the Philips Xtreme Vision H8 bulbs for the fogs.

Now, I plan to do the same for the Yeti and the Philips Xtreme Vision / Xtreme Vision + are available for the head light (H4) and Fog light (H7). I plan to buy the same from Aliexpress.in but before I take the plunge, I would like to know if there are any better options available.

P.S. - I am not looking for white light or additional relays. I just want a stock replacement bulb.
Old 23rd April 2016, 14:24   #9802
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
P.S. - I am not looking for white light or additional relays. I just want a stock replacement bulb.

With that restriction, I am afraid there are only a handful of choices - 2 to be specific. One, as you have stated is the Philips extreme vision and the other is Osram night breaker plus. Osrams are towards whiter end of spectrum. That leaves you win only the Philips extreme vision plus.
Old 23rd April 2016, 14:37   #9803
BANNED

Stock replacement can only go so far, your best options are :
1. Retrofit bixenons (morimoto 55w +fxr)
2. Go for 100w (with relay, which you don't want to do)
3. Get aux lights, ala hella 500ff
Old 23rd April 2016, 18:22   #9804
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by printh View Post
With that restriction, I am afraid there are only a handful of choices - 2 to be specific. One, as you have stated is the Philips extreme vision and the other is Osram night breaker plus. Osrams are towards whiter end of spectrum. That leaves you win only the Philips extreme vision plus.
Thank you for the inputs. I have decided to go for the Philips Xtreme Vision for the headlights (H4) and foglights (H7) in the Yeti.

For the Polo, I have decided to go for the Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited for the foglamps (H8) as this is the only 'upgrade' bulb available in H8. I am already running Philips Xtreme Vision in the headlights (H4).

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Dogg72 View Post
Stock replacement can only go so far, your best options are :
1. Retrofit bixenons (morimoto 55w +fxr)
2. Go for 100w (with relay, which you don't want to do)
3. Get aux lights, ala hella 500ff
I have no intention of spending on after market retrofit projectors and it is then a pain to get the OEM light cut off level. I prefer projectors that come with the car as stock. Aux lights are also not my thing.
Old 23rd April 2016, 19:53   #9805
BHPian

Re: Skoda Yeti : Head light & Fog light Bulb Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Hello everyone,

I use my 2010 Skoda Yeti a lot on trips out of Mumbai and I found that the stock head light and fog light bulb outputs are not to my satisfaction and do not provide sufficient light on highways. I had this same issue on my 2011 VW Polo 1.6 and had upgraded the head light H4 bulbs to the Philips Xtreme Vision (60/55W). The outcome was fantastic. I however could not get the Philips Xtreme Vision H8 bulbs for the fogs.

Now, I plan to do the same for the Yeti and the Philips Xtreme Vision / Xtreme Vision + are available for the head light (H4) and Fog light (H7). I plan to buy the same from Aliexpress.in but before I take the plunge, I would like to know if there are any better options available.

instead of going for aliexpress and waiting for a good amount of time checkout website like epitstop.in http://www.epitstop.in/search#q=xter...on+plus&page=1
Old 24th April 2016, 03:02   #9806
BHPian

Also I want to secure these lights as there quite expensive (Rs.38,000) for both the pairs. How can I go about doing it? I have already acquired some locking nuts but they would clearly not suffice.

Vikram - you can buy anti theft nuts if your bolt size in M10. It is listed for sale in one of our listings. I got them for my Lightforce HID's and happy with them. They come with their own key.
Old 24th April 2016, 06:42   #9807
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by printh View Post
Basic Physics tells you that differences are more cosmetic than real. The NB Plus have a weak blue coating in the casing.

Look at it logically. The only way to get more output from any incandescent lamp without increasing the wattage is to run it hotter. Now what is there in a halogen bulb. There is a filament which gets hot and generates the light. There is a gas fill, which has a critical role. If run that hot the filament will not last long (old bulbs v halogens). The material which evaporates from the filament reacts with the gas and in deposited back on the filament. The casing has to be fused silica (often called quartz, which is the crystalline form) which runs red hot so that the material does not deposit on it.

Now to get the same light output at the same wattage, the filament temperature has to be about the same. The rest is chemistry. As you get hotter the colour shifts towards the bluer end of the spectrum.

I may add that the colour of a bulb output is derived from this black body radiation. The colour ratings of CFLs, LEDs etc are really a misnomer as they are not true black body radiation, so are a matter of perception only, ie visually what they appear like. They are not a continuous spectrum and this is why colours appear different.
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2016, 11:01   #9808
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raikkonen View Post

Vikram - you can buy anti theft nuts if your bolt size in M10. It is listed for sale in one of our listings. I got them for my Lightforce HID's and happy with them. They come with their own key.
Thank you Raikkonen; appreciate your help very much. I was able to find something similar on Amazon. One of my friends also suggested using Loctite Red 271 on the bolts which will make them virtually impossible to unscrew (per his comments). Any experience with this method to secure...
Old 25th April 2016, 16:11   #9809
Senior - BHPian

Re: Skoda Yeti : Head light & Fog light Bulb Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant_vas View Post
instead of going for aliexpress and waiting for a good amount of time checkout website like epitstop.in http://www.epitstop.in/search#q=xter...on+plus&page=1
Wow! Thank you for the link. Since you said they will ship faster, I am assuming these guys are located in India? I however already ordered my bulbs from Ebay.com
Old 25th April 2016, 17:08   #9810
Senior - BHPian

License Plate LED Bulbs For Skoda Yeti

So in my couple of posts above I have discussed about upgrading the head light and fog light bulbs of my Yeti. I now wanted to look at the option of upgrading the license plate bulbs to LED. I have gone through the internet and noted that many have claimed that there is an error displayed even after using canbus LEDs for the license plate bulbs. The size is C5W.

Can anyone help in this regard and confirm so that I take a call accordingly before purchasing the LEDs?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks