Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2013, 16:43   #1426
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Sorry for the back to back post.

Is anybody considering adjustable levers? Personally I find the clutch lever a bit uncomfortable to operate. Especially with gloves. And the heavy clutch is not helping too (I find it heavier than my ex-TBTS). I find it hard to reach the indicator switch while operating the clutch. Now I am planning for an adjustable lever.

One doubt I am having is: after installing the adjustable lever if we are setting it to a shorter reach, will it affect the clutch action as the range of operation of the lever is reduced? Please throw some light onto this.

Cheers.
Same boat. and the indicator switch reach is a bother to an extent that many a times, am avoiding actuating them. :(
I saw adjustable levers (orange colour) on a D200 at the service station. So i guess its doable.
nasirkaka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2013, 17:22   #1427
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsub View Post
I too dropped my 390 for service today and got the same quote. Reasonable or not I don't know, at least he is being consistent

The Motul 1 oil rate is Rs. 850/- per ltr. I purchased 2 litres for Rs. 1700/- and was returned half litre back. over that I was billed Rs. 130/- (Rs. 74.00 for for oil filter and Rs. 56.00 labor charges for Wax polish and battery checkup) and some so total first free service bill should be in the range of Rs. 1400/-

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Regarding the engine oil, please stick to the manufacturer recommended warm weather rating. In your case its W50. You can use W60 but don't go below W50.
The W40 at high temperature will become very thin and might not provide adequate protection to your engine. If i was in your place, i would drain out the W40 right away and go with the correct grade oil at the earliest.
some contradictory facts by manufacturer. The hard copy of the manual says SAE 10W50 Fully Synthetic grade API, SI, JASO MA2 Recommended brand Motul 7100 4T 10W50.
The downloaded manual for 390 in India says SAE 15W50.
The service center recommended me to use Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic 4T 10W40. Infact they din't have stock and I had to go to the Madgao city to get the specified grade oil.
But now the bike has done 3000 Kms and about 1500 Kms since my last oil change ( I got my first service done at 1489 Km) so guess will get the engine oil changed and this time I will use the 10W50.
But tell me can I use 500 ML of 10W40 (which is remaining with me) and 1 ltr of 10W50? will it make any difference or should I stick to only one grade oil Of course it will be only one time as I have this oil stock with me.

Note from Support - Posts merged. Please use the Multi-Quote feature to reply to multiple posts instead of submitting back to back posts. Using multi-quote feature is explained here.

Last edited by n_aditya : 5th December 2013 at 09:34. Reason: Posts merged
Old 4th December 2013, 17:46   #1428
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
Another thing. the downloaded 390 manual mentions the engine oil grade to be 15W50. But my mechanic recommended 10W40 which is what I got him during the service. Should I stick to 10W40 or next time change to 15W50? Anybody tried both ( of course at different times )???
This was addressed in the DIY workshop by the KTM team at KTM indiranagar, Bengaluru. The downloaded manual is for the EU region. This link is for ktm.com which is the Austrian parent website. For the Indian version it is 10W40. Motul has both the oils available in the 7100 series and was shown during the course of the program.
The tyre pressures mentioned in the website should also not match with the manual which you have. Hope you have a look and revert back.
Old 4th December 2013, 17:57   #1429
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But tell me can I use 500 ML of 10W40 (which is remaining with me) and 1 ltr of 10W50? will it make any difference or should I stick to only one grade oil Of course it will be only one time as I have this oil stock with me.
It is a slightly debated topic. But as per my understanding, I believe we can mix different grades of oil. I used to top up my Royal Enfield with 20-W50 while the SVC used 15-W50. have'nt faced any issues on that regard. But one thing for sure is you should'nt mix between the oil types(mineral, semi and synth).

Last edited by man_of_steel : 4th December 2013 at 17:58.
Old 4th December 2013, 18:17   #1430
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
This was addressed in the DIY workshop by the KTM team at KTM indiranagar, Bengaluru. The downloaded manual is for the EU region. This link is for ktm.com which is the Austrian parent website. For the Indian version it is 10W40. Motul has both the oils available in the 7100 series and was shown during the course of the program.
The tyre pressures mentioned in the website should also not match with the manual which you have. Hope you have a look and revert back.
Yup. there is a difference. The downloaded manual says Tyre air pressure (Solo) Front 29 psi, Rear 29 psi and Tyre air pressure with full payload / passenger Front 29 psi and Rear 32 psi

from the hard cover Manual it is Tyre air pressure (Solo) Front 25 psi, Rear 28.5 psi and Tyre air pressure with full payload / passenger Front 25 psi and Rear 32 psi
Old 4th December 2013, 18:31   #1431
Senior - BHPian

Folks, the sticker on the bike itself says "Front 29 psi, Rear 29 psi and Tyre air pressure with full payload / passenger Front 29 psi and Rear 32 psi"

So, what is the right pressure? I have been going with the sticker.
Old 4th December 2013, 18:33   #1432
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yup. there is a difference. The downloaded manual says Tyre air pressure (Solo) Front 29 psi, Rear 29 psi and Tyre air pressure with full payload / passenger Front 29 psi and Rear 32 psi

from the hard cover Manual it is Tyre air pressure (Solo) Front 25 psi, Rear 28.5 psi and Tyre air pressure with full payload / passenger Front 25 psi and Rear 32 psi
This surprises me because this discrepancy is a throwback to the early Duke 200 days after which I heard it had been corrected and new Manuals were printed (I kept my old one and made the changes by pen).

Even the way to set RPM1 and 2 was wrong. Even that I have corrected by pen.

Surprised that it is still there for the 390.

The correct pressures are 25 and 29 for solo and 25 and 32 for laden. I fill 32 only on tour with saddlebags, otherwise always 25-29 combo.

The more you inflate those soft Metzelers, the faster they are going to flatten and square out.
Old 4th December 2013, 18:45   #1433
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post

Even the way to set RPM1 and 2 was wrong. Even that I have corrected by pen.

How do we set the RPM1 and 2?
Old 4th December 2013, 18:53   #1434
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How do we set the RPM1 and 2?
Cant remember offhand bro. Its there in the manual. Just that for one instead of keeping Set pressed, you have to keep Mode pressed. That's all the change there is.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2013, 21:29   #1435
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And the heavy clutch is not helping too (I find it heavier than my ex-TBTS).
One doubt I am having is: after installing the adjustable lever if we are setting it to a shorter reach, will it affect the clutch action as the range of operation of the lever is reduced? Please throw some light onto this.
The TBTS and the CBR250R have, IMO, the softest clutches.

If you adjust the lever to lessen the travel (not just the initial position), the force needed to operate should go up.

Regards
Sutripta

Last edited by Sutripta : 4th December 2013 at 21:30.
Old 4th December 2013, 22:41   #1436
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
Folks, the sticker on the bike itself says "Front 29 psi, Rear 29 psi and Tyre air pressure with full payload / passenger Front 29 psi and Rear 32 psi"

So, what is the right pressure? I have been going with the sticker.
The right pressure is 25(F) & 28.5(R) for solo. This I have mentioned in my earlier post on DIY. Find attached a picture of sticker on the bike.
If I remember correctly Sridhu, your bike was one of the first lot. May be there was some mistake which was corrected subsequently.
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-20131204_222935.jpg  

Last edited by lark63 : 4th December 2013 at 22:46. Reason: Pic size was more than 1MB and got missed.
lark63 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2013, 02:56   #1437
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Awesomeness View Post
Sorry guys for some reason the pictures did not get attached, hence here follows the pics, a DIY take on a tank pad.
Hey mate, love the DIY on the tank pad. Can you share the cost & how you managed to get an orange streak on top of it.
90BHP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2013, 04:06   #1438
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90BHP View Post
Hey mate, love the DIY on the tank pad. Can you share the cost & how you managed to get an orange streak on top of it.
Thanks for those words of encouragement. Much obliged.

The cost of the carbon fiber vinyl is about Rs 100/-. The tools needed are a pen knife / paper knife, a cigarette lighter. I cut the orange strip out taking the measurement of the fifth streak of orange on the 390 logo on the tank from the top. a thin streak of orange reflective vinyl can be cut using the above mentioned tools and applied on top of the edge of the base carbon vinyl. You need to be patient or else will end up spending more on the carbon fiber vinyl and they don't come cheap.

So in total i would have spent about rs 150/- on the total mod.

Last edited by Dr.Awesomeness : 5th December 2013 at 04:26.
Dr.Awesomeness is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2013, 06:22   #1439
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Awesomeness View Post

Thanks for those words of encouragement. Much obliged.

The cost of the carbon fiber vinyl is about Rs 100/-. The tools needed are a pen knife / paper knife, a cigarette lighter. I cut the orange strip out taking the measurement of the fifth streak of orange on the 390 logo on the tank from the top. a thin streak of orange reflective vinyl can be cut using the above mentioned tools and applied on top of the edge of the base carbon vinyl. You need to be patient or else will end up spending more on the carbon fiber vinyl and they don't come cheap.

So in total i would have spent about rs 150/- on the total mod.
A nice trick is to spray the surface with diluted Colin. Let's you reposition the vinyl easily. Squeegee off the excess, let it dry for an hour & you are good to go!
Old 5th December 2013, 08:35   #1440
BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

Got my registration number from the dealer today. Before I make the numberplate I wanted to verify the number. Can anybody help me with the online link to check the vehicle owner name with the reg. number? Its Indiranagar RTO(Bangalore). I couldnt find anything in the Karnataka RTO website.

Thanks.
The online link is useless for new vehicle details. It takes some time before the data is posted to that site wherever it is.
Best would be to go to 'Bangalore One' centre and ask for RC extract print out which costs Rs.18/-. They seems to be having access to actual data being used by RTO. I got this print out as the smart card issual is delayed. Only yesterday I received my smart card i.e., after almost 3-4 weeks.
lark63 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks