Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2012, 10:55   #286
BHPian

re: The Royal Enfield Mechanics Thread: All mechanics requirements and queries here

I am facing some issue about bike skidding/wobbling while turning at around 80 Km/h also rear tyre skids like bicycle in urgent breaking, any suggestion for tyres? Also I am thinking of fixing front disc break, have anyone used it on STD 350 CI?
Old 5th April 2012, 11:03   #287
Senior - BHPian

re: The Royal Enfield Mechanics Thread: All mechanics requirements and queries here

How is the rear tyre condition? i guess it has stock "MRF"?, i switched to "18" for the rear for the same reason. either TVS Jumbo or Ceat would work well.

Front discs is very effective, also check both the wheels for wobbling and the wheel bearings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thar4x4 View Post
I am facing some issue about bike skidding/wobbling while turning at around 80 Km/h also rear tyre skids like bicycle in urgent breaking, any suggestion for tyres? Also I am thinking of fixing front disc break, have anyone used it on STD 350 CI?
lohithrao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2012, 13:49   #288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
How is the rear tyre condition? i guess it has stock "MRF"?, i switched to "18" for the rear for the same reason. either TVS Jumbo or Ceat would work well.

Front discs is very effective, also check both the wheels for wobbling and the wheel bearings.
Thanks, what is advantage in shifting to 18'' other than variety of tyres availability .
Old 5th April 2012, 14:24   #289
BHPian

Day before yesterday I saw this awesome looking Modified bullet in Chennai.
The bike was neat almost stock looking.
Could not get a closer look but it seemed like he was low seated, bigger front and back tires, brake light and number plate on the side, up-bent thumping silencer, T shaped handle bar, tank had electra written (may be it looked a little bigger.
I fell in love with the bike and the exhaust note.

How can one get to reduce the height of the bike?
What is the biggest sized tyre you can plonk on an electra without much problem?
What companies provide best alloys for a bullet?
Is the back mudguard of electra different than the CL ?

Last edited by Visaster : 5th April 2012 at 14:30. Reason: Typo error edit
Old 5th April 2012, 14:31   #290
Senior - BHPian

I felt the tyre options where only the "positive" about 18, however with the tyre chane i feel lot more confident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thar4x4 View Post
Thanks, what is advantage in shifting to 18'' other than variety of tyres availability .
lohithrao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2012, 01:11   #291
BHPian

I need to change my 1978 Bull's front forks -- tubes and the whole inner thing. A reputed Bull mech is quoting 6K for the front forks. Any clue about the actual cost???
Old 10th April 2012, 17:14   #292
BHPian

Query on switch assembly

Hello all,

I have an '09 Standard 350 and am in the process of slowly converting it to a 1950's RE look. Simple things like the headlight peak, the rigid kick-start lever etc are done, and am currently getting the front number plate fitted on the mudguard. I also want to change the decompression mechanism to the metal lever that is below the clutch.

An issue that I have come across is that the entire switch assembly now needs to change. I have discussed a couple of options with my mech (Saleem & Noor in Indiranagar), but we're yet to find the solution.

As of now, what we are considering is the Jawa style assembly on the left, with only dim/dip and horn, with the indicator controls on the right, and the park/headlight controls somehow built into the ignition. The mech seems confident it can be done without changing the ignition system, but I'm not so sure.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind removing the indicators entirely, if the switch can be used for headlight on/off, and it will probably give it a truer period look too. Any feedback on whether cops would have an issue with that?

Look forward to hearing about any experiences/thoughts on this.

Cheers!
Old 15th April 2012, 00:28   #293
BANNED

I have a 2007 Electra and am interested to convert it to a standard (in terms of looks) and I believe the first and the most expensive step is to change the front shock absorbers and their upper tubes.

Can someone, who knows the approximate costs of the same let me know. I have a good regular mechanic at Blore but if there is someone else worth recommending, I m all ears.
Old 15th April 2012, 13:10   #294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
I have a 2007 Electra and am interested to convert it to a standard (in terms of looks) and I believe the first and the most expensive step is to change the front shock absorbers and their upper tubes.

Can someone, who knows the approximate costs of the same let me know. I have a good regular mechanic at Blore but if there is someone else worth recommending, I m all ears.
The shocks are the same on all variants, The "Tube" costs around 300-400 bucks. You will need a new numberplate board also.
Old 15th April 2012, 13:41   #295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Dear Dev,
Could you kindly let me know who is your mechanic and where do you plan to get this done?
I also have a 2006 Electra 4S and i would love to change some of the stuff to that of a standard, especially the mud guards and stuff.
I am tired of removing rust from some of these chrome stuff.
Thanks,
Deepak
Old 15th April 2012, 15:31   #296
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
The shocks are the same on all variants, The "Tube" costs around 300-400 bucks. You will need a new numberplate board also.
Thanks Vinay, that sounds simple to me. So, will the changing the upper tubes also enable me to change the front mudguard? That is my main intention. And yes, my Electra is a DB version.

Secondly, I understand that the rear mudguard is a straight fit. Am I correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
Dear Dev,
Could you kindly let me know who is your mechanic and where do you plan to get this done?
Hey Deepak, long time. How is your Gypsy doing? I go to a guy called Riyaz at Chamrajpet for all my work for the past 4 years. Do let me know when you are interested and we can go there together.
n.devdath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2012, 19:33   #297
Senior - BHPian

The rear mudguard on the standard is different i think. You may need a new stay for it.
Old 16th April 2012, 09:53   #298
Senior - BHPian

Having a hard time finding a good mechanic in Mangalore, who knows to tune the "lightning", few i have tried are supposedly the old timers who should hav been good with old gen bikes but sadly its not the case!

Any pointers on mechs whoare good with tuning/timing? else i have to take it down to bangalore.

that said even in Bangalore, i think only Sunder(Brand store) was able to tune the bike perfectly!
Old 16th April 2012, 20:34   #299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey Deepak, long time. How is your Gypsy doing? I go to a guy called Riyaz at Chamrajpet for all my work for the past 4 years. Do let me know when you are interested and we can go there together.
Hey Dev,
Thanks! Gypsy is doing great!
I am game to join you when you are heading that direction.
Please let me know when you are planning to go there.
Thanks Dev.
Cheers,
Deepak
Old 16th April 2012, 20:36   #300
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
I am game to join you when you are heading that direction.
Please let me know when you are planning to go there.
Deepak,
I m planning to go there day after tomorrow sometime in the morning around 11AM.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks