Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2023, 21:46   #1051
Senior - BHPian

Re: The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiSiMa View Post
I relocated to Hyderabad recently and my Adventure was sitting idle in garage for about 2 months.
And after I transported it here in Hyderabad, it was over heating within 5 mins of traffic.
MiSiMa
Sad! Well, you live and learn. Rodent menace is something humanity is fighting ever since earth condensed down to its current form. Make sure you have a few tobacco curled cigars pegged here and there. Though it won't work great, at least it will prevent something. Good luck.

Cheers!
VJ
Old 2nd July 2023, 00:25   #1052
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddhant View Post
Is it worth going for the Std over the X just for the electronics (TC, QS, C-ABS)? Or are the electronics more of a hindrance? How well does the QS work in the latest 2023 models?
I own the first lot 390 ADV, and yes, it is worth picking up the standard version.

The electronics are being termed as a hindrance by the so called expert reviewers, also to present themselves as someone who knows to ride a motorcycle better than the manufacturer knows to build it.

If your budget allows, go for it.

QS - On my first lot bike, there were a few issues, but it was resolved with a few updates. I use it time and again, it is not the slickest, but works. Although a little moody.

But It has gotten better with the recent lot.

Use the QS when riding hard, or when the revs are high. (If you wish to use it, to upshift, ensure you're higher than 5000 - 6000 RPM, works for me)
If at low revs & on a lower speed, the QS is not going to work as expected.

Last edited by parrys : 2nd July 2023 at 00:30.
parrys is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2023, 13:14   #1053
BHPian

To the experts, what is the usable tank capacity of this bike? 400km+ range as advertised with 28kmpl mileage is only possible by using the entire 14.5 litres. In my dominar with 13L tank capacity, most people say to use only max 10Litres for keeping fuel system healthy. This results in pathetic tankfull ranges needing frequent refills.

Last edited by Senotrius : 3rd July 2023 at 13:15.
Old 4th July 2023, 19:18   #1054
BHPian

Quote:
Is it worth going for the Std over the X just for the electronics (TC, QS, C-ABS)? Or are the electronics more of a hindrance? How well does the QS work in the latest 2023 models?
So, this June has been quite an eventful month for me! Merely 10 days after selling my CBR 250R (Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions), I got this home yesterday evening. Presenting my brand new 2023 KTM 390 Adv (Std). Ridden it for only 20 kms so far but excitement is through the roof.

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-ktm390adv.jpg

First impressions
Coming from a CBR 250R, this machine with its TFT display feels refreshing and the pick up is addictive. As soon as I took it out on the highway, I immediately felt how much more touring friendly the seating posture is, comparatively. Gear shifts are slick and only slightly better than the CBR. Surely, this will improve after first servicing but this makes me realize how good the CBR's gearshifts were, even without a slipper clutch. The neutral though - man, it is hard to find! I struggled several times and finding the netural felt like a shot in the dark. Maybe there is a trick? I haven't even checked the manual yet!

Compared to the CBR, wind blast is slightly reduced and noise levels around 70-80 km/h were better with the same helmet. So, even with the stock setup, this would make a better highway tourer. The horn though is ridiculous. And, finally, the elephant in the room - the seat height. Feels tall but manageable. I am 5'8" and pushing the bike with the legs while seated on it feels like a task (high CG) but I'm sure I'll learn to do these things as I get more acquainted with the bike.

Can't really wait to get through the run in period and open up the throttle!
siddhant is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th July 2023, 22:08   #1055
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The neutral though - man, it is hard to find! I struggled several times and finding the netural felt like a shot in the dark. Maybe there is a trick? I haven't even checked the manual yet
Congratulations and all the best on your KTM Siddhant.

When any bike is new, gears could be a little hard and finding neutral difficult. This will improve after your running in is complete.

The trick to finding neutral (if it seems tough, works on any bike) after a stop and you are in first gear is to engage the clutch as if you are going to move. At the point of engagement, just as you start to move, click the shifter to neutral. It should slot in easily, try it out and let us know.

Cheers

Last edited by Cyborg : 4th July 2023 at 22:09.
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2023, 15:47   #1056
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
The trick to finding neutral (if it seems tough, works on any bike) after a stop and you are in first gear is to engage the clutch as if you are going to move. At the point of engagement, just as you start to move, click the shifter to neutral. It should slot in easily, try it out and let us know.

Cheers
What I found in my trip was to switch off the engine and then get to the neutral. Otherwise I was struggling too much to get to it when the engine is running. I will try to see in my next test ride with KTM how this can be achieved.
Old 5th July 2023, 17:43   #1057
BHPian

Put it in neutral before coming to a stop. It takes just one attempt as long as the bike is rolling. Always works for me!
Old 10th July 2023, 00:42   #1058
BHPian

Quote:
I am 5'8" and pushing the bike with the legs while seated on it feels like a task (high CG) but I'm sure I'll learn to do these things as I get more acquainted with the bike.

Can't really wait to get through the run in period and open up the throttle!
Congratulation on the new ride!

Any possibility that you could share an image of you sitting on the bike? I am of a similar height as yours and need to know how tall the bike would be for me. Appreciate it.

Last edited by Eddy : 10th July 2023 at 01:14. Reason: Shortening the quoted portion to improve readability
rahulbhosle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2023, 20:11   #1059
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Cheers
Execution is a little tough for such a basic operation. Thus, I resorted to other methods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterChief007 View Post
What I found in my trip was to switch off the engine and then get to the neutral. Otherwise I was struggling too much to get to it when the engine is running. I will try to see in my next test ride with KTM how this can be achieved.
Yes, this works but I do not think it is a solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boniver View Post
Put it in neutral before coming to a stop. It takes just one attempt as long as the bike is rolling. Always works for me!
Tried it while I was in 2nd and in 1st. Didn't work both times. Instead, after ODO crossed 100 kms, a really gentle push on the gear level worked (while stationary). But, success rate is like 70%. I am hoping this will improve after the bike runs a bit more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulbhosle View Post
Any possibility that you could share an image of you sitting on the bike? I am of a similar height as yours and need to know how tall the bike would be for me. Appreciate it.
Sure, here is the pic from delivery day. Since I was just posing for the camera, most likely I may not have paid attention to the exact seating position I'd use generally. Anyway, this can be a reference point. Can not flat foot on both sides but very close. Since that day, I have done a little more riding and shifting my weight just a little bit to either side helps immensely with flat footing and pushing the bike with legs.

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-ktm390advdeliveryday.jpg

Also, I have been using the quickshifter+ so much. Sure, it may not be as slick as 650+ cc bikes but it is very much usable and saves so much of work. Pretty sure the shifts would improve after first servicing. I noticed that I typically upshift around 4500-5000 rpms and the quickshifter works well at those rpms. Yeah, at times, it is a bit jerky but I am not complaining just for the sheer number of throttle and clutch operations it is saving me - it is a boon for long distance touring. Downshifts are amazing when done at the right (~5000) rpms. The quickshifter+ also has an autoblipper so it rev matches perfectly, which sounds awesome! Getting the X would have been a major regret!
siddhant is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2023, 22:19   #1060
BHPian

Quote:

Sure, here is the pic from delivery day. Since I was just posing for the camera, most likely I may not have paid attention to the exact seating position I'd use generally. Anyway, this can be a reference point. Can not flat foot on both sides but very close. Since that day, I have done a little more riding and shifting my weight just a little bit to either side helps immensely with flat footing and pushing the bike with legs.

Thanks! I took a test ride of the SW this week and have booked it. I currently ride an Interceptor and I do not flat foot on it as well(I am 5' 7"), maybe due to my custom seat setup. The 390 is a little bit taller than that so I am completely on my toes. But I believe I would do just fine considering shorter riders than I are managing it. Maybe softening the rear suspension might help. Time will tell.

One concern that I have are the vibes on the footpegs at idling. My friends told me that test bikes do have it and theirs don't, or at least not that intensity. Those were more pronounced to me since the Interceptor doesn't have any.

Hoping to get it delivered by next weekend. Fingers crossed!
Old 16th July 2023, 22:16   #1061
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Hello guys,

I purchased 390 adv 2 months back from ktm akurdi, pune and am facing front fork leakage issues. Seal was replaced twice and now dealer says this will be replaced under warranty. The gripe he is it took them 20 days to get a replacement and after submitting for repair they said the part is wrong.

i want to try out at a different service center, can someone please help me out based on their ownership experience in pune.
maverick029 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2023, 16:55   #1062
BHPian

Hi Guys,
Wanted to check if anyone has used Shell Ultra 15w50 or Liqui Moly 15w50 in their bikes. My bike has clocked 98xx kms and I was planning to switch from Motul (10w50) which the SVC uses. Any other suggestions for engine oil are also welcomed.

I see a lot of folks from Mumbai/Thane in this group owning the 390 adv, lets plan a meet some where in the city or a breakfast ride, what say?
Old 20th July 2023, 13:19   #1063
BHPian

Quote:
Also, I have been using the quickshifter+ so much. Sure, it may not be as slick as 650+ cc bikes but it is very much usable and saves so much of work. Pretty sure the shifts would improve after first servicing. I noticed that I typically upshift around 4500-5000 rpms and the quickshifter works well at those rpms. Yeah, at times, it is a bit jerky but I am not complaining just for the sheer number of throttle and clutch operations it is saving me - it is a boon for long distance touring. Downshifts are amazing when done at the right (~5000) rpms. The quickshifter+ also has an autoblipper so it rev matches perfectly, which sounds awesome! Getting the X would have been a major regret!
Couldn’t agree more Siddhant. What seems to be an irritant for others is a boon for me as you said. It’s jerky but the downshifts are smooth! The clutch is light yes but the shifts are jerky at times and the quickshifter auto blipper is so much convenient instead of clutching and coming down multiple gears manually when you see a speed breaker and have to slow down . My left hand, knee and foot are a mess after a tour on my Himalayan
100Kmphormore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2023, 14:58   #1064
BHPian

Folks, any recommendations for crashguard for the 390 ADV?
Old 20th July 2023, 18:11   #1065
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulbhosle View Post
Folks, any recommendations for crashguard for the 390 ADV?
I am using the crashguard from Nexusgears (www.Nexusgears.com), found it to be compact and sturdy. You can check Zana or HDT customs as well. A friend has the HDT customs crashguard, they are little wide and I found the bike difficult to maneuver in city traffic
vishal.joshi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks