Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2020, 13:44   #436
BHPian

Re: The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!

I noticed something funny while fuelling up my KTM 390 Adv.

Before fuelling, I used up (almost) the entire fuel, just to see how much a full tank fill would be.
I ran the bike for an additional distance of 40km with the Fuel Range meter showing 0km.

At the petrol pump, I let the service guy fill petrol almost to the brim. The total volume turned out to be 15.17 litres.

I think it is pretty strange, since the fuel tank capacity is 14.5 litres, and I'm sure there must be a litre or two before I filled up the fuel.

Mind you, this is a petrol pump which we have been using for fuel since more than 10 years. We fuel up our 3 cars and bike from here, and have never found any wrong doing.

What do you guys think? Is it possible to exceed fuel tank capacity, or are the fuel pumps rigged?
Old 14th October 2020, 13:52   #437
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcracker View Post
Is it possible to exceed fuel tank capacity, or are the fuel pumps rigged?
I've been warned by KTM engineers and showroom staff not to fill the tank to the brim. Presumably there's some space left at the very top of the tank for some air and I think a sensor in the newer bikes. It's more likely that you just "over filled" your tank lol.

I've done this a few times (wasn't my fault, I couldn't see the fuel till it was right up to the brim). I didn't experience any problems from doing this but I try not to since KTM's own people and the instruction manual all warn against it.

p.s. I own a 2020 Duke, not an Adv, but the advice applies to many different bikes lol.

Last edited by marcussantiago : 14th October 2020 at 13:56.
marcussantiago is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 14:23   #438
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcussantiago View Post
I've been warned by KTM engineers and showroom staff not to fill the tank to the brim. Presumably there's some space left at the very top of the tank for some air and I think a sensor in the newer bikes. It's more likely that you just "over filled" your tank lol.

I've done this a few times (wasn't my fault, I couldn't see the fuel till it was right up to the brim). I didn't experience any problems from doing this but I try not to since KTM's own people and the instruction manual all warn against it.

p.s. I own a 2020 Duke, not an Adv, but the advice applies to many different bikes lol.
That is true. I am aware of it too. But I consciously went for filling to the brim just this once, to test the fuel tank capacity.
nutcracker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 14:27   #439

Hello Guys! I'm new to the forum, so please correct me if I make any mistakes while posting.

I have taken the delivery of the Adventure 390 yesterday from Ahuja KTM in Andheri - Saki Naka. I was recording a lot of video footage so don't have many pictures to post. Will try and make a proper ownership experience post soon.

I have been noticing something odd on my first ride of about 70 kms on day 1. In gears, 1,2,3 and 4, between 2,500 - 4,500 rpms, it suddenly jerks and cuts off acceleration on tunes of how a carb bike would give you an indication that the fuel is about to go on reserve. It's quite odd as the bike jerks while I'm holding throttle randomly and drops rpm by 200-400 rpm. It happened about 25-30 times and was spoiling the rather smooth experience of the engine.

Has anyone faced a similar issue?
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-img_6929.jpg  

El_Profesor is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 15:33   #440
rbp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Profesor View Post
Hello Guys! I'm new to the forum, so please correct me if I make any mistakes while posting.

I have taken the delivery of the Adventure 390 yesterday from Ahuja KTM in Andheri - Saki Naka. I was recording a lot of video footage so don't have many pictures to post. Will try and make a proper ownership experience post soon.

I have been noticing something odd on my first ride of about 70 kms on day 1. In gears, 1,2,3 and 4, between 2,500 - 4,500 rpms, it suddenly jerks and cuts off acceleration on tunes of how a carb bike would give you an indication that the fuel is about to go on reserve. It's quite odd as the bike jerks while I'm holding throttle randomly and drops rpm by 200-400 rpm. It happened about 25-30 times and was spoiling the rather smooth experience of the engine.

Please check the air filter once. I know it is a new bike, but do give it a shot else it might be bad fuel.
rbp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 17:19   #441

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbp View Post
Please check the air filter once. I know it is a new bike, but do give it a shot else it might be bad fuel.
Okay, I’ll check that out. Thank you 🙌🏻
Old 20th October 2020, 10:35   #442
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new Adv 390. Hopefully it is just a case of bad fuel as RBP mentioned. Nonetheless, do take it to the SVC as there were a couple of reported cases of similar behaviour with Adv 390s
- Here (The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!) and
- here (The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!).

See if the solutions help resolve the issues with your bike, so that you can enjoy it to the fullest.
neil.jericho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 11:10   #443

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new Adv 390. Hopefully it is just a case of bad fuel as RBP mentioned. Nonetheless, do take it to the SVC as there were a couple of reported cases of similar behaviour with Adv 390s

See if the solutions help resolve the issues with your bike, so that you can enjoy it to the fullest.
Thank you 🙏🏻

It seems like one of these issues. I’ll update as soon as this gets resolved.
El_Profesor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 11:31   #444
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hope you are not accidentally touching the gear lever and causing the quick shifter to kick in? If not..

Report to service guys, it seems to be some loose connector or throttle by wire issue. Jerks can happen at low RPM but no at the range you mentioned.
Jaggu is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 11:52   #445
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Hope you are not accidentally touching the gear lever and causing the quick shifter to kick in? If not..

Report to service guys, it seems to be some loose connector or throttle by wire issue. Jerks can happen at low RPM but no at the range you mentioned.
Yup. Sounds electronic.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 14:31   #446
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post

It should be the quick shifter issue. Never rest the leg on the gear lever or keep it in enaged position. Because this sends the signal that you are going to change the gear and thus this jerk due to cut off.

Try Switching off quick shifter and if still, the problem persists go to the SVC. I had similar issue in my ducati and switching off quick shifter helped. Eventually had to change the quick shifter module.
Vasuki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2020, 22:56   #447

Hi guys - I will be getting my 390 ADV within the first week of November. I am super excited to be a part of this troupe!

I am a little curious about what are the essential add-ons people bought for their 390 adv. I was considering the following:

- extended visor
- mobile mount (on GPS mount position)
- bashplate/skidplate replacement

Is there anything else I should look at?

Thanks in advance!!
parthans is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 07:31   #448
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parthans View Post
Hi guys - I will be getting my 390 ADV within the first week of November. I am super excited to be a part of this troupe!

I am a little curious about what are the essential add-ons people bought for their 390 adv. I was considering the following:

- extended visor
- mobile mount (on GPS mount position)
- bashplate/skidplate replacement

Is there anything else I should look at?

Thanks in advance!!
Congrats. My general advice would be to ride it as is for a month or at least until completion of your first service. After that, you yourself will have an idea of what needs replacement and what doesn’t. Remember what you want to have replaced and what you need to have replaced are two entirely different things.

Good luck.
Red Liner is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 09:50   #449

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Congrats. My general advice would be to ride it as is for a month or at least until completion of your first service. After that, you yourself will have an idea of what needs replacement and what doesn’t. Remember what you want to have replaced and what you need to have replaced are two entirely different things.

Good luck.
Solid advice and yes, it did occur to me. I was basing my opinion the test ride I have had with the bike.
Old 26th October 2020, 08:17   #450
BHPian

To the desert !

Had an amazing ride to Longewala and Munabao during last week. Covered 3,250 KMs in total.
The bike performed flawlessly in extreme heat of the desert. Not a single issue !

Here are some snaps:

Near Myajlar

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-img_20201024_113414.jpg

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-img_20201024_113446.jpg

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-img_20201024_112213.jpg

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-img_20201024_102509.jpg

Near Longewala

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-img_20201024_093438.jpg

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-img_20201024_093409.jpg

Near Pindwara

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-original_4063bfac6fce431889b4c02e8981a96f_img_20201023_081123.jpg

The ODO has now crossed 12.5K mark
rb2399 is offline   (22) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks