Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2021, 10:13   #571
BHPian

Re: The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weathered View Post
My friend has booked a 390 adventure.The sales manager confirmed 2021 models which he has delivered this month are all shod with Metzelers. Anyone here who bought recently who can confirm if this is indeed the case or if the bike comes with MRF tyres?
I got my 390 Adventure manufactured and delivered in March & it came with Metzelers.
surajram is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th April 2021, 13:28   #572
Distinguished - BHPian

Some feedback from a fellow owner not on this forum. Hope fence sitters find this useful.

Quote:
Finally got my new bike plated Friday and took it on its maiden voyage today: 0 - 290 miles of asphalt and dirt roads through the rolling Palouse hills and farmlands of eastern Washington. The picture below is my brother Midlife Madness on his orange 390 and me on my shiny new creamsicle. About the only things I had time to add were a 790 windscreen and headlight shield, a Fenda Extenda, and a kickstand foot.

Learned a lot about the bike today but mostly that it truly is the Goldilocks between the 2 bikes I just sold: a 650 Vstrom and a WR250R. IMO, the 390 is the best of both bikes and then some. I was particularly impressed with how well it handled gravel roads with the MTC and ABS off. It handles every bit as good, if not better than the WR. The low center of gravity is really confidence-inspiring. Even though it's a solid 75 pounds heavier than the WR, it felt every bit as nimble and light. And the stiff suspension makes up for the loss of ground clearance (the WR's suspension was positively soft in comparison). On the road it cruises comfortably at 70 and in the twisties was more spirited than the Vstrom. It suffers more in cross-winds but not unpredictably so. I definitely made the right purchase.

My bike has stock ergonomics: pegs, seat, and bars, all of which will be changed. As almost everyone notes, the bars are too low and the pegs and seat canted forward. I have some SW Motech pegs to put on it but still have not settled on risers and a seat. My brother uses the Rox risers and the difference is amazing. Not sure if I want that much or something closer to an inch in height. I found the seat too hard and angled forward. I'm going to look at the Seat Concepts kit, which claims to correct both issues. Oh, and the mirrors: don't care much for those either. I have a set of DoubleTakes that are going on pronto!

Later this summer, we're tiding these bikes to Colorado to tackle the stat's BDR. I can't wait!
Source: Advrider.com

Last edited by Red Liner : 18th April 2021 at 13:32.
Red Liner is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2021, 09:39   #573
Distinguished - BHPian

One of the many money shots from yesterday. 9000 kms and 50 days into this trip and here we are.

Still on the stock Metzler tourance.

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-pxl_20210421_035147980.portrait.jpg
Red Liner is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2021, 09:59   #574
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
9000 kms and 50 days into this trip and here we are.
Attachment 2147339
Ramana,
When do we expect a TL of your odyssey? How many months more are you on this epic journey.

Keep riding and be safe.
ku69rd is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2021, 11:49   #575
BHPian

Quote:
Some feedback from a fellow owner not on this forum. Hope fence sitters find this useful.

Source: Advrider.com
On that note, we picked up a second 390 Adv. We (Me & my wife) were on Himalayan and Mojo for the last few years.

Name:  TwoBikesBlured.png
Views: 3744
Size:  303.9 KB
TuxDiesel is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2021, 14:44   #576
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuxDiesel View Post
On that note, we picked up a second 390 Adv. We (Me & my wife) were on Himalayan and Mojo for the last few years.

Attachment 2147396
Proof is always in the pudding and am glad that the both of you are having the best out there

Once th le situation eases out, would be great to see you guys out on the road sometime.
Red Liner is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th April 2021, 18:23   #577
Distinguished - BHPian

Sorry i haven't been too active here guys, but figured i would trade my baby 390 adventure for something with a little more torque up here in the high mountains

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-pxl_20210430_0556115342.jpg

Just kidding. Have a safe one guys with everything that's going on. And stop watching the news!
Red Liner is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 30th April 2021, 19:13   #578
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry i haven't been too active here guys, but figured i would trade my baby 390 adventure for something with a little more torque up here in the high mountains

Just kidding. Have a safe one guys with everything that's going on. And stop watching the news!
That's a nice replacement for 390ADV
Anyways, the amount of riding you are doing vs the pics you share on this thread is highly dis proportionate.

Looking forward to more pics of your "actual" ride in unknown places !!
nitinkbhaskar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th May 2021, 08:05   #579
Distinguished - BHPian

Here's more feedback from a fellow owner in New Zealand. He was one of the first from outside India to get his hands on the 390 adventure. He also rides a 990 adventure i think. Or was it a 950? Doesn't matter.

He recently had a bad fall offroad and busted his radiator hose coupling.

Quote:
I think you got your $$ outta that thing!
Quote:
On the plus side its totally alleviated my fears about breaking the engine with enough of a hit. Im obviously going to replace it. Id love to replace with a BDCW steel one but due to big shipping costs here I think im going to go with an axp one.

Im also planning on buying an actual dirt bike as im going to need to use this as a commuter soon so no more A grade tracks for the 390.

Its been super fun testing the limits of this machine offroad and its, as a general, brushed off my learning mistakes and been super forgiving. To date I've managed to cook the clutch on a beach, smashed the bashplate on a culvert (after a LOT of similar hits) and bent the outlet hose on the radiator. Its stuck with me through mud, rocks, barely tracks through trees, hillclimbs on freshly forested hills, 500km plus day trips with 3 offroad tracks included and so muvh gravel its amazing. The wheels havent bent, the suspension hasnt given out, the plastics are almost like new (except the bashplate) and the only thing that seems to have been worn out (except for me) is the cush drive rubbers, which ktm are replacing.

This bike truely deserves the "Adventure" tag in its name.
Could be owner sentiment too. I feel the same in respect of getting a dedicated dirt bike for single track.

That said, someone also reported their engine leaking oil from below. Hope that gets fixed.

Source: advrider.com

Last edited by Red Liner : 4th May 2021 at 08:07.
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2021, 20:49   #580
BHPian

Quote:
One of the many money shots from yesterday. 9000 kms and 50 days into this trip and here we are.
Attachment 2147339
What an epic pic! my heart longs for this place now.When we will go here?
mh09ad5578 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2021, 18:34   #581
BHPian

Some praise for the bike and a more economical alternative that we make here

sunilch is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 4th June 2021, 10:04   #582
Senior - BHPian

Went for a quick ride, can say it was a pre-monsoon appetizer.
The stock tyres are good enough for this situation, given that you are easy on the throttle.

Went with the TC off, but after I stalled it once, just let it be. And it was no problem at all, either way.

Some gentle slides, no fall and 100% fun.
I ride this route often, so familiar with the terrain. (Rajmachi, near Lonavala)

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-img_0393.jpg

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-img_0394.jpg

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-img_0395.jpg

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-img_0400.jpg

I guess the problem with the KTM 390 Adventure is that the wrong audience is bringing it home. Those who have a completely different riding preference compared to what the bike has to offer. Hence so many complaints and demands for modifications. I have spent more than a year with this one, and although I feel like getting another motorcycle, something bigger, I don't see as much value in anything else. This is the perfect all-rounder for me.

Last edited by parrys : 4th June 2021 at 10:07.
parrys is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 4th June 2021, 14:01   #583
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
When do we expect a TL of your odyssey
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinkbhaskar View Post
Anyways, the amount of riding you are doing vs the pics you share on this thread is highly dis proportionate.
Absolutely Red Liner! Echo the requests for more details about this ride.

From your other posts, get the idea you're the 'prefer riding to talking about riding' kind of guy and that's great! (We have way too many overlong TLs about 'my epic Ladakh trip'...in an SUV...and that end up giving more details about the food eaten on the way rather than the trip! )

But the tantalizing hints and pics you've been dropping are too much (too little actually!). So at least a factual trip report please- where, distances, what, how. Thanks in advance!
am1m is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th June 2021, 14:16   #584
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Absolutely Red Liner! Echo the requests for more details about this ride.

From your other posts, get the idea you're the 'prefer riding to talking about riding' kind of guy and that's great! (We have way too many overlong TLs about 'my epic Ladakh trip'...in an SUV...and that end up giving more details about the food eaten on the way rather than the trip! )

But the tantalizing hints and pics you've been dropping are too much (too little actually!). So at least a factual trip report please- where, distances, what, how. Thanks in advance!
Thanks man

The TL is already about 7-8 posts down in our forum but is in the assembly line for approval before it goes live. I have about 80 posts to do (roughly one post for each day of insane riding), so I think the administrators will let the thread go live alongside me posting for every day in sometime while I ratchet up enough posts for a good start. I need time and creative inspiration to think back, so I can only do one or two posts a week in my schedule to make it interesting writing and reading.

The entire trip was 70+ days amd 14000 kms to and fro.

I hope it’s well worth the effort!

In the meantime somewhere in Changthang, North Sikkim.

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-pxl_20210420_102103065.mp01.jpg

I also echo Parrys, but i think a CRF300 will be a good partner in the garage for the 390A. Hint hint haha.

Last edited by Red Liner : 4th June 2021 at 14:21.
Red Liner is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 4th June 2021, 18:39   #585
Team-BHP Support

Wow. This looks like an absolutely epic trip man. I can’t wait to read a full blown travelogue on this but in particular with route details, specific technical challenges while riding, planning such a ride etc. And a dedicated photologue.

I really wish I could go on a really long motorcycling holiday. It’s a proper bucket list item for me.

Quote:

Still on the stock Metzler tourance.

Attachment 2147339
Axe77 is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks