Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2021, 02:25   #661
BHPian

Re: The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek View Post
Mods sorry please join the post to the earlier if you so wish. I can't seem to edit the previous post.

Guys, my rpm is flashing red at around the 6500 mark. Any idea why? Is it like a limiter till the first service, or is it for the quick shifter?
It’s a shift indicator (to remind you to upshift and keep the revs low) and not a rev limiter.

Once you cross 1000Km - the software allows you to configure the RPMs at which this comes on
surajram is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2021, 16:30   #662
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mods sorry please join the post to the earlier if you so wish. I can't seem to edit the previous post.

Guys, my rpm is flashing red at around the 6500 mark. Any idea why? Is it like a limiter till the first service, or is it for the quick shifter?
To add to it, here's where Owner's Manual comes in handy, it really helps one understand the basics better. When the red light flashes, it means that you are to shift to the next gear, if the lights stops blinking and holds constant that means you are over revving the engine. \Older console of the KTM allowed the bike to shift the RPM to be set as per user needs. I am not so sure on the newer consoles though.

Go over your owners manual when you get time, it really helps understand your motorcycle better.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2021, 07:55   #663
BHPian

In the settings menu I’m unable to activate/deactivate the settings specific to rev limiter and QS. All it says is, it will be available after 1000kms. These are the shift light menu. And hence the question was asked.

Also, there is no specific owners manual for the bike. Whatever I found online is basically a universal manual. For example the manual says use 15w50 oil. Not very helpful the manual in this case. Lots of software changes too. The manual doesn’t show that. Some bikes the QS was active only after 1000kms. In some bikes with the different software, the QS was activated from day one.
derek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2021, 19:24   #664
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Also, there is no specific owners manual for the bike. Whatever I found online is basically a universal manual. For example the manual says use 15w50 oil. Not very helpful the manual in this case. Lots of software changes too. The manual doesn’t show that. Some bikes the QS was active only after 1000kms. In some bikes with the different software, the QS was activated from day one.
Are you sure they didn't they give you a booklet Derek? You are supposed to get booklet which is basically your owners' manual and all your services are recorded respectively on the last leaves of the booklet, which is essentially your service record.

Cheers!
VJ
Old 30th August 2021, 00:01   #665
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
Are you sure they didn't they give you a booklet Derek? You are supposed to get booklet which is basically your owners' manual and all your services are recorded respectively on the last leaves of the booklet, which is essentially your service record.

Cheers!
VJ
KTM has gone digital and has published an app for the manual and service experience. Quick search on Google can also get you downloadable PDFs which you can use without the app.

Off from this topic, something interesting happened during my ride today. My service indicator came on at 59xx - exactly 5K after the first service. Both Indian & Intl operating manuals show that service is every 7500 KM though. Utterly confused on what to do with the rest of the trip.
surajram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2021, 17:23   #666
BHPian

Quote:

Cheers!
VJ
Nope not at all. No book. All digital I believe. Which is why it’s confusing because there is no manual for the Indian specific bike.
Old 31st August 2021, 22:12   #667
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surajram View Post
KTM has gone digital and has published an app for the manual and service experience. Quick search on Google can also get you downloadable PDFs which you can use without the app.

Off from this topic, something interesting happened during my ride today. My service indicator came on at 59xx - exactly 5K after the first service. Both Indian & Intl operating manuals show that service is every 7500 KM though. Utterly confused on what to do with the rest of the trip.
Quote:
Nope not at all. No book. All digital I believe. Which is why it’s confusing because there is no manual for the Indian specific bike.
Thank you for the clarification. I did know about the app, but didn't know all the services were integrated electronically. Did you in any case scroll through the Settings menu and check for a menu called "Shift Light" if yes and available, then you can adjust the shift light preferences through that menu. Good luck.

Cheers!
VJ
Old 1st September 2021, 10:05   #668
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for the clarification. I did know about the app, but didn't know all the services were integrated electronically. Did you in any case scroll through the Settings menu and check for a menu called "Shift Light" if yes and available, then you can adjust the shift light preferences through that menu. Good luck.

Cheers!
VJ
Hi there. So I took the bike out for a ride this morning. Before I left the bike had 975 on the odo. In the shift menu, it says "menu is not available before 1000 kms".

Did a small ride, completed 1000kms and checked again. Now I can go into the menu options, and like u correctly said, change the setting for rpm1 rpm2 and shift light.

They are now set by default at 8500 and 10000 rpm as opposed to the earlier red light blinking at 6500 rpm.

On a side note. As the bike crossed 1000 kms, it felt a lot more cleaner and crisper and the delivery was now, much more smoother. Which begs me to think, could there possibly be a map/ecu change by default that's activated after 1000kms? Is that even possible?

I've been riding bikes for more than 25 years, so I don't think it's placebo. There is definately a change, even if it's ever so slight. Has anyone felt this before?

Disclaimer. I had done my first service BEFORE 1000 kms.
derek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2021, 10:58   #669
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surajram View Post
This can be set/reset by anybody and most probably the default still is 5k.
On my 2015 duke 390, the service guy (not from KTM) went to the service due screen by pressing the left buttons, there he kept the two buttons pressed for few seconds and the next service due got reset to 5000 km again.
girishv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2021, 11:08   #670
BHPian

How many of you 390A owners have that weird wind deflector (really don't think its a winglet) near the headlamp unit broken? I've only been on highway runs so far with 4K KMS on the clock. Not yet been off-road and haven't dropped my motorcycle even once. I just noticed both sides of mine broken and also found this is a common issue.

Old 2nd September 2021, 08:57   #671
BHPian

Guys how many here are using

1. A powercommander/powertronics.
2. After market filter
3. Aftermarket spark plugs.

All or any of the above combination? Please give ur suggestions or experience. Thank you.
Old 2nd September 2021, 09:22   #672
BHPian

Quote:
I switched over to NGK LKAR8AI9 Iridium Spark Plug during the first service.Honestly speaking, there's no discernible difference felt since the change over (during cold cranking or regular running). Sticking to OE Bosch makes sense in my opinion !
rb2399 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 12:05   #673
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb2399 View Post
I switched over to NGK LKAR8AI9 Iridium Spark Plug during the first service.Honestly speaking, there's no discernible difference felt since the change over (during cold cranking or regular running). Sticking to OE Bosch makes sense in my opinion !
I too find no difference in using an iridium plug on my interceptor, think the stronger spark etc etc is all hogwash

However in keen on a powertronics and the filter. Any ideas/experience/suggestions?

The spark plug I just threw in for good measure lol
Old 2nd September 2021, 12:19   #674
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
2. After market filter
Using K&N and NGK iridium, slightly smoother idle and crisper throttle. I tried OE filter afterwards and found the overall acceleration feel to be slightly lesser, have to see how a new filter works since I had put the old one (2k kms done) during K&N clean up. WRT plug the OE Bosch looked pretty sad quality, visibly that is.
Old 2nd September 2021, 14:30   #675
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Using K&N and NGK iridium, slightly smoother idle and crisper throttle. I tried OE filter afterwards and found the overall acceleration feel to be slightly lesser, have to see how a new filter works since I had put the old one (2k kms done) during K&N clean up. WRT plug the OE Bosch looked pretty sad quality, visibly that is.
Thanks Jaggu! Any reason why a K&N and not a BMC or DNA? Also, the filter will bring in more air, to an already lean machine (BS6). Or am I off with my thought process? So unless using a full exhaust system, the benefit of an aftermarket filter is not much?

Thanks for your quick response!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks